Playstation 5

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Shinji Hashimoto retweeted it and last time that happened we got VIIR at State of Play. Something FF-related will be there and I'm not saying it's FFXVI except it's totally XVI. It's time. We've gone too long without a brand-new flagship FF announcement.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'll confess that I wish they would just throw one hundred percent of their resources behind getting VIIR done this decade, but I suppose I've never known I needed any new FF before it was announced.

Reactions: LNK

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Woah, XVI?? I was with some of you guys on this one, I thought Remake would've kept XVI off for quite a few years (not even just for Square's development resources, just like...keeping the public focused on one blockbuster FF installment at a time), but hearing it planned now is quite the shock.

I've heard a rumor from something my brother read a while back about it; who knows if it's true? (hint: probably not) I heard that they were potentially considering returning to some of the pre-VII design language. I've always wondered what a blend between the two styles could be...but either way, I'm just hoping we get an iconic, varied cast. FFXV's cast was cool and all, but lacked variety due to the all boy-band ikemen focus. And the Regalia was also neat, but...I think the world suffered from some of its mundaneness. Here's to hoping that XVI pushes the bounds of imagination further.

With this as a legitimately possible announcement, what would you guys even want from a potential XVI?

Last edited:

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
what would you guys even _want_ from a potential XVI?
Personally I've been hoping for a return to a more traditional fantasy setting, the series has been stuck in a sort of modern/sci-fi setting since VII and I'd be interested in seeing a more classically oriented story again. I'd also like a less realistic style, I think I've had enough... "square enix face" at this point.

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
I'm right with you on all of that, with some minor differences. I really think they could enter a best-of-both-worlds era of FF for a few games where they blend the old and new style: sci-fi with classically oriented world design and outfits. And yes, unfortunately, I'm all-in for the Square Enix Face.

Reactions: Lex

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
u wanna go lex?

blend the old and new style: sci-fi with classically oriented world design and outfits
Every FF had some kinda Sci-Fi in it. Even in the original you went to space and fought the infamous WAR MECHS. Final Fantasy has never been totally without those elements, I just don't want another VII, VIII or XV where the world is more of a fantastical modern day (especially in XV's case) rather than a more high fantasy setting with Sci-Fi elements like VI or IX.
And yes, unfortunately, I'm all-in for the Square Enix Face.
Booooo. I want to see what it would look like if they translated Amano's art style into 3D character models.

Lex

Administrator
Yeah we're overdue for a traditional fantasy setting really (if we ignore XIV, which we actually can't in this case given YoshiP's potential involvement).

What I'd personally like to see from FFXVI is a similar approach that was taken with IX - it was a love letter to the series so far but it was entirely new at the same time. So basically what you said Prism, but I'm not sure what form it would take. I'm really excited for a brand new Final Fantasy, honestly. The last "original" mainline game (with its own mythos etc) was technically XIII, given that XV was previously Versus and part of fabula nova crystallis, so on and so forth. This is the first time in well over a decade we're looking at a truly fresh mainline FF. Madness.

Also re: the VII chat, SE do have several business divisions guys. They'll be developed simultaneously, there's no doubt about it. ResetEra has a great thread where they track what each business division is currently working on:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/square-enix-projects-ot-please-be-exciting.62421/

Creative Business Unit 1 is working on VII:R. Unit 3 is the one YoshiP is with, and it's probably XVI:

1599965454906.png

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Every FF had some kinda scifi. Even in the original you went to space and fought the infamous WAR MECHS. Final Fantasy has never been totally without those elemnets, I just don't want another VII, VIII or XV where the world is more of a fantastical modern day (especially in XV's case) rather than a more high fantasy setting with Sci-Fi elements like VI or IX.
Very true, but I don't think the blend has been completely represented in a way where the themes were truly interwoven with each-other. The closest thing I can think of is VI, where things like this mechanical, yet divine monstrosity exist:
1599965868458.png

Booooo. I want to see what it would look like if they translated Amano's art style into 3D character models.
OK, you're swaying me a bit with that one...

Yeah we're overdue for a traditional fantasy setting really (if we ignore XIV, which we actually can't in this case given YoshiP's potential involvement).

What I'd personally like to see from FFXVI is a similar approach that was taken with IX - it was a love letter to the series so far but it was entirely new at the same time. So basically what you said Prism, but I'm not sure what form it would take. I'm really excited for a brand new Final Fantasy, honestly. The last "original" mainline game (with its own mythos etc) was technically XIII, given that XV was previously Versus and part of fabula nova crystallis, so on and so forth. This is the first time in well over a decade we're looking at a truly fresh mainline FF. Madness.

Also re: the VII chat, SE do have several business divisions guys. They'll be developed simultaneously, there's no doubt about it. ResetEra has a great thread where they track what each business division is currently working on:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/square-enix-projects-ot-please-be-exciting.62421/

Creative Business Unit 1 is working on VII:R. Unit 3 is the one YoshiP is with, and it's probably XVI:

View attachment 7667
That "unknown next-gen title" must certainly be it, if anything. (not to be too optimistic, ha)

You're totally right on the money with this being the first true next FF installment in a decade. That's why a potential XVI feels so monumental, even more than the likes of a new Zelda title usually is. More-so, it's interesting how the consensus so far is that we'd (from a sample size of like...three, but still) is a lean towards more classic iconography.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
You're totally right on the money with this being the first true next FF installment in a decade. That's why a potential XVI feels so monumental, even more than the likes of a new Zelda title usually is. More-so, it's interesting how the consensus so far is that we'd (from a sample size of like...three, but still) is a lean towards more classic iconography.
Maybe it would be better if it was something different entirely, like really out of left field. The thing I'm the most afraid of is that it might just feels like "more final fantasy" without having enough identity of it's own.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i don’t keep up with ffxiv so when people were talking about yoshida, i initially thought akihiko and i got my hopes up

Top Bottom