So, what do you think the LTD conclusion is? (Round 2)

Who does Cloud love?

• Aerith

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 121 85.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the "let's go see Aeris" thing as like how you'd go visit a loved one's grave on a special occasion to pay respects, visit, place flowers, etc.
Don't forget the conversation is happening while they are both hanging off of a cliff, wondering if they've done enough to save the planet. They think they might die, and Cloud is trying to be positive by reminding Tifa that they will be with their loved ones, especially/including Aerith. She smiles and pulls close to him agreeing.

I know but for the longest time I've been saying that quote was a mistranslation and... well now I look stupid.
The original doesn't have a "her" in it, so it is a mistranslation.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I think 'mistranslation' is going a bit far. There's nothing really wrong with "I think I can meet her there" and it does fit in with the Ultimania Omega's comments on the line. It's just that the Japanese line was more ambiguous because Japanese doesn't need to use pronouns like English does.

So this thing that said it meant Aerith isn't reliable? Or is it just square contradicting itself again?
It depends on how you look at things. If you think older stuff is more reliable, then the Aerith quote wouldn't be. Or the opposite if you place newer stuff before older materials.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Nah, you're a very spiffy Clerith. But you haven't been posting recently! You must be ... a Clerith imposter! >=O
asdflasfj )8 *tries to fix this*

Is this discussion about the ending line? Weird, I just posted something relating to it on C/A.

I always thought the original ending (before they decided HEY FF7 IS POPULAR LET'S MAKE SEQUELS) basically meant everyone died. Seriously. Cloud says he got an answer from the Planet, and when he tells Tifa this, she has a look of shock and then acceptance right before she agrees to meet Aeris. And really, how the hell else are you going to meet a dead person?

The Lifestream eliminates any threat to the planet, and I thought the game's message basically said humans were the biggest threat. Everything in the ending is engulfed in that bright green light, the last thing you see is Aeris' face, and years later Nanaki and his kind are the only living beings left aside from the plants that have started to cover Midgar.

of course none of this makes any sense now with the compliation so fuck you too nomura

But the point is I never thought any of that had to do with pairings and it was more lolol hey we're gonna die

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

Is this discussion about the ending line? Weird, I just posted something relating to it on C/A.

I always thought the original ending (before they decided HEY FF7 IS POPULAR LET'S MAKE SEQUELS) basically meant everyone died. Seriously. Cloud says he got an answer from the Planet, and when he tells Tifa this, she has a look of shock and then acceptance right before she agrees to meet Aeris. And really, how the hell else are you going to meet a dead person?

The Lifestream eliminates any threat to the planet, and I thought the game's message basically said humans were the biggest threat. Everything in the ending is engulfed in that bright green light, the last thing you see is Aeris' face, and years later Nanaki and his kind are the only living beings left aside from the plants that have started to cover Midgar.

of course none of this makes any sense now with the compliation so fuck you too nomura

But the point is I never thought any of that had to do with pairings and it was more lolol hey we're gonna die

You know I always assumed that the ending of FFVII was supposed to be "up to interpretation." lol If you thought that the humans died that could be one theory, but if you thought they lived that could be another. The actions after Cloud's line don't really jive well with the idea that they all know they are going to die. They all worry about getting out of the cave, and then it's all, "Oh no Midgar! Holy isn't working and everyone will die! What to do?!"

All in all, I think Cloud's line was more of what people said before, that IF they did end up dieing, they'll be able to see their dead friends again, more specifically Aerith. And being that Aerith and Tifa were good friends, she agrees, and it's probably a nice and comforting thought for her.

But it's only an IF line, not a, "Yup the Planet just told me we're all going to die."

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu

She appears in the sky, so I figured that was what it meant.
But really, I figured Cloud was talking about 'if we don't find a way out of here and bite the dust when Holy releases, at least that's not the end' which is essentially the same, just more immediate.

Ah, but Aerith Smiles.
And the laughter of children can be heard at the end sequence with red and kids. I took it as Man has gotten better, has learned to live with nature, hence Midgar- in the middle of a wasteland, now covered in vegetation.

Indeed.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
DSCF5565.jpg

There's your 20th Anniversary Ultimania.

Every pairing such as YunaXTidus and SquallXRiona is listed. The ONLY relationship between Cloud and Tifa mentioned is childhood friends. This was written AFTER AC, the Reunion Files, the first edition of the 10th Anniversary Ultimania, and the first edition of OTWTAS.

Discuss.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop

Every pairing such as YunaXTidus and SquallXRiona is listed. The ONLY relationship between Cloud and Tifa mentioned is childhood friends. This was written AFTER AC, the Reunion Files, the first edition of the 10th Anniversary Ultimania, and the first edition of OTWTAS.

Discuss.

It wouldn't be any fun for Square (or Nomura) to mess up the largest internet argument ever to have existed. The LTD is what keeps a certain portion of the FFVII fanbase interested (to some degree) in the story / stories of the game(s) / compilation, keeps them analyzing and picking apart the 12-year old game, keeps them buying the games, books, movies, keeps them visiting and viewing internet sites, andsoforth.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
you do realize that several people in this thread have said Square has beaten us over the head with a sledgehammer about CxT's relationship though right? If this is true, why are they not listed? My point is that maybe Cleriths ...and for sure neutrals aren't so crazy after all :P

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
That's just an ad, though :monster: Which book is it meant to be in? (Character? Scenario? Or the unlikely Battle?)

Not that I'd know either way, I don't own any of those.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Yeah that's not the canon couple page, I can't find a scan of that...

Actual cover:
41d-mvFpysL_SS500_.jpg

and I THINK character.
It's ALSO stated that Last Order is NOT part of the compilation. Score one for me... MoTP isn't listed as part of the compilation but I guess the FF7 Ultimania Omega lists it as such...

Scenario has a page about the relationship of characters from the games... and there's pictures of all the canon couples... and well.. Aerith is there but she's by herself:
20080411_439456.jpg

Aerith x Aerith :awesome:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
DSCF5565.jpg

Discuss.

There's nothing to discuss. You've given us an AD. Unless you can cite a goddamn page number or provide scan of this supposed 'list', there's not a goddamn thing worth discussing.

you do realize that several people in this thread have said Square has beaten us over the head with a sledgehammer about CxT's relationship though right? If this is true, why are they not listed? My point is that maybe Cleriths ...and for sure neutrals aren't so crazy after all :P

No, crazy Cleriths are still crazy, because this supposed list bites them in the ass too. Only the neutrals, who are loopy in other ways, benefit from this.
And that's if it's genuine.

... Squall and Rinoa and Tidus and Yuna are not "All the canon couples"
Cecil/ Rosa. Locke/ Celes, Zidane/ Garnet, Vaan/Penelo, and that's just restricting it to 'lead' pairings they missed.

Further, LO is listed as an outside work. This could mean it's acanon, but given that it was made out of house like the Lost Episode of DoC, also listed as outside work, it could go either way. Information from it is still important to Cloud's bio, even if parts of it are apocryphal.

Question, Quex. Who brought this particular nugget of speculation to your attention? Do THEY have this information handy?

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
There's nothing to discuss. You've given us an AD.
Sure there is, you (or someone) told me there wasn't one :(
I didn't actually know that was an ad, sorry XD I thought it was a page from the book. Hey I can't read Japanese... cut me some slack...

Unless you can cite a goddamn page number or provide scan of this supposed 'list', there's not a goddamn thing worth discussing.
Working on it...

No, crazy Cleriths are still crazy, because this supposed list bites them in the ass too. Only the neutrals, who are loopy in other ways, benefit from this.
And that's if it's genuine.
You think the list might not exist?

And yeah the crazy Cleriths are crazy... and the crazy Clotis are crazy too :awesome:
And yes neutrals are the ones who benefit the most... go KtR!

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Yeah that's not the canon couple page, I can't find a scan of that...

Actual cover:
41d-mvFpysL_SS500_.jpg

and I THINK character.
Then that's a completely different book and not part of the Ultimania series. It's a separate books from Famitsu for the 20th Anniversary.

And I don't own that one either :monster:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
ooohh... well I dunno... so there's a 20th Anniversary Ultimania but that's not it?

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Yeah I was wrong about that, sorry, someone posted that and... well I should really learn to read the thread before posting pics >_>

also what I said about LO not being part of the compilation was in FF 20th Anniversary--FF Reminiscence, not the other thing. Again sorry....

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The FF 20th Anniversary Ultimania is a brief synopsis of the entire FF franchise and its highlights. It doesn't go into nearly enough depth as each individual FF series Ultimania does, so looking at it for some concrete proof or evidence above the actual individual guidebooks that are focused to each storyline, just seems pedantic. It's like looking at the Cliffnotes for a book, instead of reading the entire book yourself.

The 20th An. Ultimania only talks about the main series too. There's only one tiny mention of the Compilation there.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
... Squall and Rinoa and Tidus and Yuna are not "All the canon couples"
Cecil/ Rosa. Locke/ Celes, Zidane/ Garnet, Vaan/Penelo, and that's just restricting it to 'lead' pairings they missed.
I know that I was giving examples :monster:

Question, Quex. Who brought this particular nugget of speculation to your attention? Do THEY have this information handy?
I'm working on it? :(
Don't worry I'll find it... I'll buy the darn thing myself if I have to :monster:

... no no actually I won't...

and I swear someone in here told me there was no 20th Anniversary Ultimania... cause the game hadn't been around that long... where did that go? Did I seriously dream that?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Didn't we have some scans from one of them here? I think there was some FFVI and FFIX ones?

That was from the character book. And it was from FFIX's section because I wanted to say if they said anything useful or new regarding Necron. :monster:

They didn't say anything new or interesting regarding any FFVII characters either.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Honestly I didn't even know you guys didn't know about the canon couple listing thing. I came in here expecting an explanation as to why they weren't listed... though I guess Mako kinda touched upon it.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
The only thing I know of Clerith's touting as some validation to their pairing regarding other FF pairings, would be from the FFX International bonus disc, that features a video interview with Nojima, talking about how he worked on the scenarios of FFVII, FFVIII, and FFX, and it shows a montage of Cloud burying Aerith, Squall embracing Rinoa, and Tidus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom