So, what do you think the LTD conclusion is? (Round 2)

Who does Cloud love?

• Aerith

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 121 85.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Okay so I guess Nojima brings up love, marriage and family because he wants to make it clear that he doesn't think that Cloud and Tifa should get married... but... even if that was the case, wouldn't contradict several other statements he's made? He was the "Cloud and Tifa would together." person right?
What about the love then? Either way, it seems like you're shooting yourself in the foot by claiming he's saying they shouldn't be married. :monster:

And yes, he did say Cloud and Tifa would be together but you know they're just talking about setting. Which renders the statement completely unromantic! *dramatic flourish*

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
What about the love then? Either way, it seems like you're shooting yourself in the foot by claiming he's saying they shouldn't be married. :monster:

And yes, he did say Cloud and Tifa would be together but you know they're just talking about setting. Which renders the statement completely unromantic! *dramatic flourish*

well the argument is he's saying that "Based on these problems I think a love relationship or marriage would be a bad idea for Cloud and Tifa." :faint: So yeah it that helps...

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
well the argument is he's saying that "Based on these problems I think a love relationship or marriage would be a bad idea for Cloud and Tifa." :faint: So yeah it that helps...
Then is a family a bad idea too? Someone should tell Denzel and Marlene so they can join a better one. :monster:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
haha I never thought about that.... oh but I said I wouldn't argue... well if it comes up again I'll mention it :D

EDIT
God that's a really good point, REALLY good point... fuck it I'm gonna ask. I'm adding that to my essay as well.

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Damon wasn't in the movie; it was Mark Wahlberg's character.

Oh yeah. I sometimes get those two mixed up. Thanks for pointing that out. XD

IIRC, there was a brief mention near the beginning of the movie that heavily hinted to us that the girl and the guy had been in a relationship before.

Yes, but we aren't shown this. That's my point.

They'd pick and choose where to apply the requirement for explicit scenes. Just like they're doing so now.

Most likely. :/

Okay so I guess Nojima brings up love, marriage and family because he wants to make it clear that he doesn't think that Cloud and Tifa should get married... but... even if that was the case, wouldn't contradict several other statements he's made? He was the "Cloud and Tifa would together." person right?

Makes no sense, imho. :monster:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
I can just hear him.

"The premise of case of Tifa is that there's problems between Cloud and Tifa and this would be true even without Geostigma and Sephiroth. *gets up* AND IF THERE'S ONE THING I WANT TO MAKE CRYSTAL CLEAR IT'S THAT CLOUD AND TIFA SHOULD NOT GET MARRIED! DO YOU HEAR ME? THEY SHOULD NOT GET MARRIED! :rage: *sits back down*... maybe after ACC Marlene and Denzel can help them work it out. We'll see."

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
There is no appropriate moment in AC/C for it to happen. But remember, in the mind of phangrrlz and boiz (the kind that like fanfiction) everything and anything can be thrown into a story regardless of it making sense. No kiss = no love.

But in all seriousness, I just had a thought. In the remake of "The Itallian Job," Matt Damon's character and the blonde chick, who is the daughter of the older guy who dies in the beginning, end up together in the end. This is not really flat-out stated, nor do we see them kiss or hold hands or really hug. It is only very heavily implied. They have tension throughout the movie, and in the end, all we get is a shot of them in a boat with Matt Damon's character saying in narration "I took his advice and found something to hold on to, and I held on tight," or some such. When he says, "His advice," I do believe he is talking about the blonde chick's father, who was a good friend of Matt Damon's character (do correct me if my memory is off).

So I wonder, if every has to be explicitly shown in order to be true, what would these people think if we showed them movies where everything was more subtle?

And bah I wish I could find the clip on YouTube. The scene happens during the credits, and the only clip from the credits I can find is when the one guy makes a stereo that can blast women's clothes off. XD

Ask and ye receive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aFjf8oxjJc

The lines are: "And me? I took John Bridger's advice. I found somebody I want to spend the rest of my life with, and I'm going to hold onto her forever."

Though I think that the setting and body language are romantic, I agree with your overall point -- film constantly "tells" us things without actually "saying" anything. The visuals and audio are working together here to tell us something even though they don't occur at the same time, and no one has explicitly said, "These two are not just good platonic friends -- they get it on."

The best example I can think of to convey this idea of the "unspoken message" -- and the one I use a lot, I must admit -- is that when a flashback is happening, no one on-screen identifies it as such. Nor does the director run down to the front of the theatre to announce it.

You just know that it's a flashback because the filmmakers used techniques that are recognized as indicating a flashback.

I can just hear him.

"The premise of case of Tifa is that there's problems between Cloud and Tifa and this would be true even without Geostigma and Sephiroth. *gets up* AND IF THERE'S ONE THING I WANT TO MAKE CRYSTAL CLEAR IT'S THAT CLOUD AND TIFA SHOULD NOT GET MARRIED! DO YOU HEAR ME? THEY SHOULD NOT GET MARRIED! :rage: *sits back down*... maybe after ACC Marlene and Denzel can help them work it out. We'll see."

I like this mood-swinging version of Nojima. He's entertaining.

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
The lines are: "And me? I took John Bridger's advice. I found somebody I want to spend the rest of my life with, and I'm going to hold onto her forever."
He didn't say who, he could very well be talking about Aerith because she lives inside of him and will be spending all her life with him because of that. Is he always going to be with Tifa? We don't know for sure, but we know that Aerith is.... oh that's not from FFVII...

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Ask and ye receive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aFjf8oxjJc

Ah thank you! But I guess that part shows more than I thought it did. Thanks for finding it for me, though. It's been a few years since I've seen that movie.

Though I think that the setting and body language are romantic, I agree with your overall point -- film constantly "tells" us things without actually "saying" anything. The visuals and audio are working together here to tell us something even though they don't occur at the same time, and no one has explicitly said, "These two are not just good platonic friends -- they get it on."

The best example I can think of to convey this idea of the "unspoken message" -- and the one I use a lot, I must admit -- is that when a flashback is happening, no one on-screen identifies it as such. Nor does the director run down to the front of the theatre to announce it.

You just know that it's a flashback because the filmmakers used techniques that are recognized as indicating a flashback.

Very true.

I like this mood-swinging version of Nojima. He's entertaining.

Bi-polar, imho.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
He didn't say who, he could very well be talking about Aerith because she lives inside of him and will be spending all her life with him because of that. Is he always going to be with Tifa? We don't know for sure, but we know that Aerith is.... oh that's not from FFVII...

Alternate universe version of FFVII where Cloud, Cid, Godo, Barret and Reno are double-crossed by Sephiroth after a heist. Godo is killed and the others left for dead -- though they survive without Sephiroth's knowledge.

Cut to a year later. Cloud reassembles the team, bringing Yuffie into the fold as well. Hijinks ensue. They also drive small cars through tunnels in Midgar.

Ah thank you! But I guess that part shows more than I thought it did. Thanks for finding it for me, though. It's been a few years since I've seen that movie.

No problem.

And watch it again. Fun movie.

Pomona Sprout said:
Bi-polar, imho.

I don't know. The guy didn't even seem to notice he'd fluctuated. I think the condition requires a second diagnosis.

Isabella

Your Mom
I can just hear him.

Just so we're all clear -- the premise of CoT/ACC is CLOUD AND TIFA SHOULD NOT GET MARRIED EVER OMG!!!11

That stuff about Geostigma and guilt and redemption? Just filler.

I don't know. The guy didn't even seem to notice he'd fluctuated. I think the condition requires a second diagnosis.
Have the cleriths developed mind control? Brainwashing? I thought that was the Clotis' domain. Better watch our backs, guys. They're gaining.

Last edited:

aniron

it's me in a labyrinth
AKA
spirit chaser
Just so we're all clear -- the premise of CoT/ACC is CLOUD AND TIFA SHOULD NOT GET MARRIED EVER OMG!!!11

That stuff about Geostigma and guilt and redemption? Just filler.

And more than that -- Cloud should stay away most of his time from SH and his so-called "family", and spend more time with his one true love Aerith in the flowerfield.

And we mean Clotis shouldn't deny Cloud his happiness.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
And more than that -- Cloud should stay away most of his time from SH and his so-called "family", and spend more time with his one true love Aerith in the flowerfield.
No :rage:

The CHURCH is his promised land, geeze

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
I just thought of something, they say the PLACE where Cloud awakens is his Promised Land and it says nothing about the people being his promised land... then they argue that Aerith is the one connected to the church. I thought it had nothing to do with the people :monster:

Kikyou

just a fleeting memory
AKA
M-Mira, crackitlackin, Izaya Orihara, SAILOR NARU, Sharon Rainsworth, Mara, Brosuke Hanamura, Commissioner Gordon, Santa Claus, Lenneth Valkyrie
I like having sex in medieval-looking churches too.
In peasant garb.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Before reading this go vote:

http://thelifestream.net/forums/showthread.php?p=180081

Among
  • When written in Kanji, as it is in the Reunion Files, koibito means "the person who loves". It does not imply a love relationship.
  • Koibito can be used as a general adjective
  • Koibito isn't always used for a romantic relationship (aka, Nihon no koibito)
  • It could mean that Tifa is loved by a lot of people.
  • It could be referring to Cloud's crush on Tifa that he had as a kid.
  • Nomura was describing Tifa's traits. That's why in the official English translation, it uses sweetheart and says there's many dimensions to her character.
  • It could be referring to Johnny's crush on Tifa
  • Koi bito is actually two words, not one.
  • Cloud's name isn't written on the page anywhere so it's jumping to conclusions to say it's him
  • It's saying she's LIKE a koibito, not that she is one.
  • If Nomura hasn't solved the love triangle yet he isn't going to do so in one statement
We now have
"Nomura made a mistake! He didn't mean to say that! He takes it all back!"

:hugeawesomonster:

BUT SERIOUSLY, GO HERE AND VOTE:

Last edited:

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time

OFCOURSE.png

I'll also point out I'm a jackass and therefore will *not* even click that thread link Quex, no matter how many times you post it.

aniron

it's me in a labyrinth
AKA
spirit chaser
Among
  • When written in Kanji, as it is in the Reunion Files, koibito means "the person who loves". It does not imply a love relationship.
  • Koibito can be used as a general adjective
  • Koibito isn't always used for a romantic relationship (aka, Nihon no koibito)
  • It could mean that Tifa is loved by a lot of people.
  • It could be referring to Cloud's crush on Tifa that he had as a kid.
  • Nomura was describing Tifa's traits. That's why in the official English translation, it uses sweetheart and says there's many dimensions to her character.
  • It could be referring to Johnny's crush on Tifa
  • Koi bito is actually two words, not one.
  • Cloud's name isn't written on the page anywhere so it's jumping to conclusions to say it's him
  • It's saying she's LIKE a koibito, not that she is one.
  • If Nomura hasn't solved the love triangle yet he isn't going to do so in one statement
We now have

:hugeawesomonster:

wut.png
O_O.png
disappearing.png

Because sometimes words fail me.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
He WHUT?

Because, to make such a book that needed a lot of work and thoughts about wording, how to convey what they wanted to convey... he made a mistake and he take it back?

I think I've lost my brain somewhere oO"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom