So, what do you think the LTD conclusion is? (Round 2)

Who does Cloud love?

• Aerith

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 121 85.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Oh Goodwin's Law.

Also, I think there was already a comparison drawn between Cloti denial and evolution denial in the last thread.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Godwin's law only applies when people are directly equating something someone did to the nazis as a direct aspersion of the act.
Unless you both grossly overextend Bella's analogy, and the definition of Godwin's law, there's simply no Godwin in it. She was analogizing this situation ONLY to the denial of the holocaust in the 'deny the undeniable due to their desire, not based on competing evidence' sense. There were no other analogies or connections implied. Compare it to truthers, religious beliefs, denial of evolution, or various other scientific theories that are undeniable (and before we get into this tangent, Gravity is 'just a theory') or any other ridiculous spin on obvious fact.
The conclusion is undeniable. The only reason it isn't is if your standards are so bollocks absurd as to render nearly all other FF pairings moot as well.

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
You're right, it was incorrect to say Goodwin's Law was invoked. It's just the comparison struck me as a little... extreme, I guess.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Godwin. The originator was named Godwin, not Goodwin.

And while it is a bit of an extreme comparison, it is a pretty extreme case of denial. And that was the only part that was analogized.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I love how Quexinos loves repeatedly saying stuff we already know as if it's new and noteworthy.

Anyways, I finally got around to updating SoS's LT analysis FAQ with the current revisions he added. But..there's a point in it that I disagree with him on, that I want to bring to his attention before I add that portion first.

Translator unknown; original source: Asperity, now known as Schism, a Cloud Strife fan shrine which now can be found here
That was me :awesome:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
But was it from when you were still credible, or had you become completely illiterate at this point?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
It was pre-Compilation, so it was still good :awesome:

That Ultimania thing about Cloud that mentions Aya Brea might have been me as well, but I'm not sure now :monster:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
The protagonist of Parasite Eve.

Addendum: No. She isn't.

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Because she was originally in the role that Aerith fills in kh

Dissidia brought us Clerra. KH almost gave us Claya.

Alas, what could have been!

Ryu: On the topic of the "expanded on the story with Cloud" quote, I also don't have access to the Ultimania, but I'm willing to trust this conclusion.

Mako: Decided to reply to you here. While there is a scene where it appears that Squall has heard Tifa speak, I don't think that precludes Tifa being something other than an ordinary human. After all, Sephiroth is the embodiment of Cloud's darkness and definitely not an ordinary human, yet Donald and Goofy can see him.

Naturally, Sora would be able to given who he is -- and presumably their friendship with Sora has something to do with why they can too. Either that, or the proximity of the keyblade.

Whatever the case, what's important is that there's a precedent for those who aren't special snowflakes being able to see embodiments of Cloud's persona. As well, the director said he intended to leave the impression that it was possible Tifa isn't human -- so the part where Squall seems to hear her is either a goof or not relevant to the analysis.

EDIT: hitoshura, I never realized you were the Schism guy! I apologize. I'll update the FAQ to credit you properly.

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
EDIT: hitoshura, I never realized you were the Schism guy! I apologize. I'll update the FAQ to credit you properly.
I don't own the site or anything, I don't know if I made it out like I did. I just translated some of the extra scenes from Final Mix (the ones that Thorf didn't).

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
my all is right? O, kay. :wacky:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
That would have been cool to see Aya in KH, but I can understand why they changed her to Aerith. Aerith is more well known, and also I'm sure Disney wouldn't have been thrillwed with a character from Parasite Eve. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom