• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

So, who’s on the no spoiler team here?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Yep - take the time you need. Games are meant to be enjoyed at the user’s pace, and having that be influenced by outside factors is stressful. Do what you need to do, come back when you’re feeling up to it on your own terms.
Okay, a hypocrite am I. Thank you, I really needed to hear this. I had a long phone call with my friend, and I realized I've probably been depressed for the past few months and was using the remake as a crutch to maintain my mental wellbeing. Now that the release has been complicated, I think I had a bit of an emotional breakdown. Kinda pathetic really. I'm just afraid that by the time I get my hands on the thing, nothing I have to say about it will matter since so many people will have already beaten it. I already feel like I never have anything meaningful to add here, ha ha.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm gonna limit my time here until I get my own copy still, since seeing those chapter spoiler threads pop up still makes my eye spasm involuntary. Later days, folks.

youffie

Pro Adventurer
Hey @Odysseus, sorry to hear that : ( I know it’s not ideal… I have no idea when my physical copy will arrive, so I’m going to buy it digitally and I haven’t looked at a lot of remake threads in a month and a half, give or take. But I really don’t think you won’t have anything to contribute. If anything, these forums are proof of a community that will always find new things to talk about this very specific topic :P and everyone always brings something different to the table. I also think I might take a small break from TLS because #teamsourgrapestillthebitterend, but I look forward to all the juicy threads that I’ve been putting off.

See you soon!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Hey @Odysseus, sorry to hear that : ( I know it’s not ideal… I have no idea when my physical copy will arrive, so I’m going to buy it digitally and I haven’t looked at a lot of remake threads in a month and a half, give or take. But I really don’t think you won’t have anything to contribute. If anything, these forums are proof of a community that will always find new things to talk about this very specific topic :P and everyone always brings something different to the table. I also think I might take a small break from TLS because #teamsourgrapestillthebitterend, but I look forward to all the juicy threads that I’ve been putting off.

See you soon!
Aw, thanks Youffie. You live in Italy, correct? You definitely have a lot more to be upset about than I do right now. I was being silly when I said there'd be nothing to talk about, of course there will be. This is TLS, we've been talking about the same game for over a decade as it is. Most people on the forum don't have the game yet anyway, just a few. Sorry for all the melodrama.

As for #teamsourgrapes, I went and raided the grape factory. I got enough grapes for everyone!
20200402_075137.jpg

Knights of the Round

Pro Adventurer
The one thing I hope is that there are layers and layers of secrets / hidden gems like in the original. If that's the case - then for a long time there will be new things to discover and talk about.

Most games these days are missing that element. Everything is in tutorials or laid out on a map for you. No secret islands with secret materia, mysterious journeymen handing out master materia and gold chocobos, etc.

Firstone33

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Daniel
Although there is chapter 2 spoilers on here i am not going to spoil anything until the sixteenth of April which is my birthday, by that time I will have info and such on certain stuff in story cause it has been different than the original there are lots I want to talk about but I am gonna hold off on spoilers until then

Glaurung

Forgot the cutesy in my other pants. Sorry.
AKA
Mama Dragon
The OG aged well, let me tell you. Even now it's entertaining to play, even in an Android tablet with a PSX emulator. I know, because right now I'm about to enter Don Corneo's house. Got all the cool items (silk dress, blonde wig, sexy perfume... I'm giddy with antici - pation :awesome: , and I don't care about the original graphics!). That's the thing with final Fantasy games, that no matter how many years go by, they are good stories to watch.

I pray the Remake is like that too, so that we can fill another twenty or so years with discussions and forum threads!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I don't care about the original graphics!
Man I love the low poly models. They're so simple I feel like they've actually aged pretty well, compared to the more realistic models of VIII anyway. I feel like IX was the perfect balance. Remake has me worried because "Photo-realism" doesn't age well IMO. I think X looks pretty bleh now, for how amazing it was back then.

And yeah, I can't pry myself away from TLS even though I want to. I like you guys too much I guess.

Lex

Administrator
Although there is chapter 2 spoilers on here i am not going to spoil anything until the sixteenth of April which is my birthday, by that time I will have info and such on certain stuff in story cause it has been different than the original there are lots I want to talk about but I am gonna hold off on spoilers until then

Hey there, this doesn't need to be posted in the spoiler section of the board so I'll move your post to this thread we already have for people who are on the no-spoiler team:

https://thelifestream.net/forums/threads/so-who’s-on-the-no-spoiler-team-here.22173/page-4

EDIT: And done :)

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Okay, a hypocrite am I. Thank you, I really needed to hear this. I had a long phone call with my friend, and I realized I've probably been depressed for the past few months and was using the remake as a crutch to maintain my mental wellbeing. Now that the release has been complicated, I think I had a bit of an emotional breakdown. Kinda pathetic really. I'm just afraid that by the time I get my hands on the thing, nothing I have to say about it will matter since so many people will have already beaten it. I already feel like I never have anything meaningful to add here, ha ha.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I'm gonna limit my time here until I get my own copy still, since seeing those chapter spoiler threads pop up still makes my eye spasm involuntary. Later days, folks.
I’m glad you were able to parse out the nuance of why you were stressed by talking to your friend - that alone is a super important step.
I don’t think relying on something you like a lot, even as a crutch, is pathetic by any means. It’s important to realize that it’s something you’re doing, but it’s something I think a lot of people could easily fall into - it doesn’t make you weaker or pathetic as a person at all. Still, take the steps you need to, and if you need help with any of them, I’m sure any TLS member’ll be more than willing to help. I’m more than willing to help.

Look at it this way, which you already alluded to: there’s a lot of people who still learn new things about the original FFVII, a game they played decades ago. Your individual experience with the game is always worth sharing, no matter what anyone else has already experienced, too.

Man I love the low poly models. They're so simple I feel like they've actually aged pretty well, compared to the more realistic models of VIII anyway. I feel like IX was the perfect balance. Remake has me worried because "Photo-realism" doesn't age well IMO. I think X looks pretty bleh now, for how amazing it was back then.

And yeah, I can't pry myself away from TLS even though I want to. I like you guys too much I guess.
I’m a little biased, but I have reason to believe FFVII-R will age well. Realism that has aged tends to be either too gritty (FFV-R has vivid color where it needs to) or just too low-res (FFX and stuff). FFV-R has super high fidelity on everything.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
@Prism Thank you. I envy your emotional maturity!

I think I know why this whole thing has sent me into a depressive spiral. It doesn't really have much to do with the game itself, just kind of the "haves and have-nots" situation that developed. I have some personal history that's made such situations a pretty big sore spot, but its never been an issue with something as petty as a video game before. I don't want to get too deep into it here though, lord knows nobody needs to be subjected to all my personal issues.

I'm sorry for calling it "pathetic," that was uncalled for. In these awful times we're living in a lot of people were really looking forward to the game as a form of escapism. I know I viewed it as "the light at the end of the tunnel." I'm happy some people have gotten the opportunity to dig in early, and I can't wait to join them shortly. I think the healthiest thing for me would probably be to walk away for a while, but I also don't want to not have anyone to talk to for a week either. I can't do emotional 1 AM phone calls with my friend every day unfortunately. Its rough.

Maybe I'm being too hard on X, but I didn't play it until the ps3 remaster. I don't think it looks bad, its just not very appealing to me either. I just think the more stylized KH games look much better nowadays than X does.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
@Odysseus

It's always good to have a channel to vent to and get something off your chest. Don't hold it in because it WILL eat you up inside (trust me, I know this battling depression for most of the past decade).

This is going to sound cliche and you have probable heard this many many times like I have when I was at my worst - try to have a more positive outlook on life, even with COVID-19 going on. If there is one thing that really changed my outlook on life, it was trying to be more positive about things. When I finally switched from negative thinking to positive thinking, my life got a lot better and unfortunate things that did happen to me either finally went away or if I did run into a problem in my life, it didn't just pile on like it did prior. I'm not a religious person by any means (and there is nothing wrong with anyone believing in what makes THEM feel best about themselves that can guide them through life), but I do believe in positive and negative energy. I believe that negative energy took over my life and surrounded me in negative situations, negative people, etc. I am now surrounded by more positive people than ever, I'm healthier losing over 100 pounds in the past two years (love being skinny af again :) ), and life is just overall better. You're friend seems to be an incredible aspect of your life and helped you in a dark place last night. That's a positive force right there.

Allow yourself to take a breather and build yourself up during your time away. You got this! :)

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
lol "time away." That didn't pan out. I think just running around here and talking about stuff for a while has done me a lot of good. When I'm left to my own devices I tend to villainize the thing that's giving me that "negative energy" you mentioned, and it just piles and piles. Talking brings things back down to reality, where I can realize we're all pretty much the same and some of us were just luckier than others. I also like how I mythologized this phone call as some groundbreaking, meaningful moment when we spent half the time mutually hating Europe (he really wants his remake copy too) and talking about kingdom hearts voice actors. He's just more level headed than I am and was willing to call me out on my unreasonable bullshit, and knows how I think pretty well. He's a very insightful guy.

Here, maybe this is too personal, but I'll share the experience that kinda gave me a bit of a complex. If you're interested.
Alright, when I was about 14 years old, I was invited to one of my friend's birthday sleepover party. The majority of my friends were girls in high school for some reason, and they all knew each other, so they were all at this party. So bed time rolls around, and my friend's mom wants the boy to sleep separately from all the girls. Fair enough, right? Well here definition of "separate" was to stick me on an old couch in the basement, and then lock me down there until the next morning. Like, I couldn't leave. For some reason I didn't question this at first, but as the night wore on it kinda dawned on me that it was pretty fucked that I was locked in a basement sleeping on a couch while all of my friends were sleeping in beds, chatting and having fun all night. So I start freaking out, and getting more and more stressed. I can't sleep, so I stay awake all night, and basically have a full on panic attack. By the next morning when they finally let me out I'm just dead inside and won't talk to anybody, and it all just kinda ends awkwardly.

I'm pretty sure that night fucking traumatized me or something, because after that I started to develop some bad self hatred issues. My thinking was along the lines of "if I needed to be locked up, that means I'm terrible and dangerous." My friends all treated it like I was over reacting, and maybe I was, but I would still get brought to the point of quaking in anger whenever I had to explain the story for years afterwards. Took forever to finally get an apology, too. I'm over the whole thing by now, it was practically 10 years ago, but getting into similar situations still stresses me out.

How does any of that relate to the remake debacle of the moment? My mind just keeps linking the "Haves" (people upstairs, people who have that game) with the "have-nots" (me locked in the basement, me unable to get my hands on this game for arbitrary reasons.) Is that stupid? Yes. That's a ridiculous comparison to make. Yet I can't help but get overly frustrated anyway. Maybe I should consider therapy, geez.

So yeah that's a thing that happened. I'm not saying my little sob story there is the only reason though, its a lot of things. I just don't want "healthy venting" to turn into "ruin everybody else's fun because I'm salty." Like, @Jairus, you know I like you. You're one of the people here I talk to the most! So I don't want you to take this too personally, but I'd rather not have my being mad about not getting the game early turn into something like Jairus' Jessie rants. I dunno, I guess there's a balance to these things.

If I can just vent about one thing though, I'm kinda upset lex posted his 1st class edition without a spoiler. I wanted the box it came in to be a surprise. Guess I should've been more careful...

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
If I can just vent about one thing though, I'm kinda upset lex posted his 1st class edition without a spoiler. I wanted the box it came in to be a surprise. Guess I should've been more careful...
Doesn't appear to have come in a special box anyway. Just looks like they packed the Deluxe Edition and the figure into a shipping box.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
lol "time away." That didn't pan out. I think just running around here and talking about stuff for a while has done me a lot of good. When I'm left to my own devices I tend to villainize the thing that's giving me that "negative energy" you mentioned, and it just piles and piles. Talking brings things back down to reality, where I can realize we're all pretty much the same and some of us were just luckier than others. I also like how I mythologized this phone call as some groundbreaking, meaningful moment when we spent half the time mutually hating Europe (he really wants his remake copy too) and talking about kingdom hearts voice actors. He's just more level headed than I am and was willing to call me out on my unreasonable bullshit, and knows how I think pretty well. He's a very insightful guy.

Here, maybe this is too personal, but I'll share the experience that kinda gave me a bit of a complex. If you're interested.
Alright, when I was about 14 years old, I was invited to one of my friend's birthday sleepover party. The majority of my friends were girls in high school for some reason, and they all knew each other, so they were all at this party. So bed time rolls around, and my friend's mom wants the boy to sleep separately from all the girls. Fair enough, right? Well here definition of "separate" was to stick me on an old couch in the basement, and then lock me down there until the next morning. Like, I couldn't leave. For some reason I didn't question this at first, but as the night wore on it kinda dawned on me that it was pretty fucked that I was locked in a basement sleeping on a couch while all of my friends were sleeping in beds, chatting and having fun all night. So I start freaking out, and getting more and more stressed. I can't sleep, so I stay awake all night, and basically have a full on panic attack. By the next morning when they finally let me out I'm just dead inside and won't talk to anybody, and it all just kinda ends awkwardly.

I'm pretty sure that night fucking traumatized me or something, because after that I started to develop some bad self hatred issues. My thinking was along the lines of "if I needed to be locked up, that means I'm terrible and dangerous." My friends all treated it like I was over reacting, and maybe I was, but I would still get brought to the point of quaking in anger whenever I had to explain the story for years afterwards. Took forever to finally get an apology, too. I'm over the whole thing by now, it was practically 10 years ago, but getting into similar situations still stresses me out.

How does any of that relate to the remake debacle of the moment? My mind just keeps linking the "Haves" (people upstairs, people who have that game) with the "have-nots" (me locked in the basement, me unable to get my hands on this game for arbitrary reasons.) Is that stupid? Yes. That's a ridiculous comparison to make. Yet I can't help but get overly frustrated anyway. Maybe I should consider therapy, geez.

So yeah that's a thing that happened. I'm not saying my little sob story there is the only reason though, its a lot of things. I just don't want "healthy venting" to turn into "ruin everybody else's fun because I'm salty." Like, @Jairus, you know I like you. You're one of the people here I talk to the most! So I don't want you to take this too personally, but I'd rather not have my being mad about not getting the game early turn into something like Jairus' Jessie rants. I dunno, I guess there's a balance to these things.

That's absolutely fucked up. You should've never been put into that situation and honestly (without knowing them) I think they are pieces of shit for doing that to you. I get what you mean 100% by what you mean with extremes.

My depression is similar, but in my case I have trust issues with people overall. The people that should've supported me the most (my family) were not there for me and actually sided with a friend of mine who broke my trust (not to mention, my sister had a crush on him too. She immediately told me to not be mad at him hugged him in front of me). This was during the worst year of my life in school where most of my friends split off into their own cliques and it was just me and couple others by ourselves. Friends that we were connected with immediately sided with him as well and I felt like I was alone. Of course, when they found out that they were hoodwinked (a month later when he stole a car from his mom, money at work, etc.), they just whistled it off and like to pretend what he did to me never happened and that they always had my back (bullshit...). To this day, I have never have received an apology for it. I've never really gotten over it and I have extremes where I think I know when people try to fuck me over but never do and end up ruining the friendship myself.

So that being said, I understand where you are getting at with "being stupid". Whenever I get irritated with someone or something as stupid as getting mad over a video game, I either RAGE really bad or usually hold in all my anger and give a half ass explanation as to why I'm mad at someone and end up looking like a dolt for being mad overall lol. But I don't think you're being stupid, there's just things that most people don't understand about you and you're just trying to cope with a shitty situation. But yes, do try to be as level-headed as you possibly can! Try to put it in the past and stay as healthy as you can over it! :)

Jairus

Author of FFVII: Lifestream & FFVII: Reflections
You're fine, Ody. I know I get a little carried away sometimes, and I shouldn't. Part of it is venting, like what you've been doing, but I know there are better ways and places to do it. So I'm not upset or anything by what you said. That was a rotten thing for you to go through and I can see how it may have contributed some to what you've been saying. Just know that you're not alone here, okay?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
You guys are too good for me, sheesh. Honestly reading that back, the story doesn't even sound that bad. Certainly not something to still be thinking about 10 years later. I guess it was more how it made me feel than what actually happened.

Anyway, looks like I'll be getting my copy on the 9th. How's everyone else's orders doing?

Cloud_S

Pro Adventurer
In what is perhaps good news for those wishing to avoid spoilers, SE is taking down videos everywhere. This guy had about 13 or so uploaded (just beyond the 5th Reactor mission), and had last uploaded a part about 2-3hrs ago before SE took them all down.

aAPCNhy.png

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
In what is perhaps good news for those wishing to avoid spoilers, SE is taking down videos everywhere. This guy had about 13 or so uploaded (just beyond the 5th Reactor mission), and had last uploaded a part about 2-3hrs ago before SE took them all down.

aAPCNhy.png
Good, square said not to post anything about the game anyway.

Reactions: LNK
Top Bottom