Staff Misconduct Thread

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
C'mon guys, we should know each other well enough by now that we can talk about Mass Effect and lesbians without needing silly ltd talk as an ice breaker. :awesome:

Basically I don't think the rules of the new thread were that hard to follow and actually made the atmosphere a lot calmer (i found it rather nice, idk) than the previous thread, even as strict as it was. And let's face it, the topic was going to slow down and die the minute we were forced to be on topic, strict or not. :monster:

Just looking for some consistency here. Members were given, at the very least, a verbal warning for a hint of stepping out of line - and hey, that's how it is! Like Tiff said, we brought it on ourselves and we have to deal with that. But when a mod who frequents the thread is starting to exhibit the same behavior (and some of his posts seemed to imply he didn't know why we were on such eggshells, which confused me, because wasn't the new thread a result of a discussion between all the mods?) I think he should be held to the same standards. That's all.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
We could have been a lot stricter over enforcing the rules than we have been - and indeed we indicated we were going to be. For instance, the rules actually indicate that everyone who made a post that didn't concern the LTD in-thread should have gotten warnings; none of them did. The only person we've even banned or infracted over the latest incarnation of the LTD is Vendel, and that's because he kept breaking the rules. As long as people stick to the rules (which aren't that difficult to follow, as long as you remember them), things should be fine.

What Ryu posted was inappropriate in the context of the LTD, but I think he knows that now, and I get the impression he didn't do it deliberately. I doubt it will happen again; if it does, we can deal with it then.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
C'mon guys, we should know each other well enough by now that we can talk about Mass Effect and lesbians without needing silly ltd talk as an ice breaker.

In everywhere BUT the chit chat thread. xD

Ayaui

The Bitchiest Bitch <3
AKA
Jessi
Is there srsly a staff misconduct thread? What has happened here?! DAMN.

...kinda wish this was hur when real shit was thrown all over the place several years ago.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
C'mon guys, we should know each other well enough by now that we can talk about Mass Effect and lesbians without needing silly ltd talk as an ice breaker. :awesome:

Basically I don't think the rules of the new thread were that hard to follow and actually made the atmosphere a lot calmer (i found it rather nice, idk) than the previous thread, even as strict as it was. And let's face it, the topic was going to slow down and die the minute we were forced to be on topic, strict or not. :monster:

Just looking for some consistency here. Members were given, at the very least, a verbal warning for a hint of stepping out of line - and hey, that's how it is! Like Tiff said, we brought it on ourselves and we have to deal with that. But when a mod who frequents the thread is starting to exhibit the same behavior (and some of his posts seemed to imply he didn't know why we were on such eggshells, which confused me, because wasn't the new thread a result of a discussion between all the mods?) I think he should be held to the same standards. That's all.

I know why we are on eggshells. My post was meant to bring up the question of why we NEED to be in that one thread, when we are so cavalier elsewhere. It was meant to ask the question of why that thread is taken so personally, when the entire rest of the forum is not.
I understand that it is taken that way, and why we are now walking on eggshells, but that does not answer the why.

We could have been a lot stricter over enforcing the rules than we have been - and indeed we indicated we were going to be. For instance, the rules actually indicate that everyone who made a post that didn't concern the LTD in-thread should have gotten warnings; none of them did. The only person we've even banned or infracted over the latest incarnation of the LTD is Vendel, and that's because he kept breaking the rules. As long as people stick to the rules (which aren't that difficult to follow, as long as you remember them), things should be fine.

What Ryu posted was inappropriate in the context of the LTD, but I think he knows that now, and I get the impression he didn't do it deliberately. I doubt it will happen again; if it does, we can deal with it then.

It was spoken in response to something Raven had said, and meant to act as a contrast to something she had said Clotis on other forums had done. I'm still of the opinion that simply referencing opinions publicly held by the most prominent members of that forum- or any forum for that matter- and previously on its owner's attached website is neither an insult or a violation of the X stays at X rule (being that no grudge is being continued, and nothing is being held against any member based on the contents thereof.) but I will try and keep from mentioning the site.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Evidencing legitimate confusion: you understand why, but don't understand why?

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
whats stopping you guys from just posting that in chit chat thread?

This is kinda what I'm wondering as well. If anything, the Chit Chat thread doesn't seem to have enough life; people are so used to using the LTD thread as the Chit Chat thread that they forget we already have one, and ultimately when you bring one topic into another topic, things get messy, which is exactly what happened.

Basically, if the exact same content in the LTD thread of old were moved to the current Chit Chat thread, none of us, the Staff, would give two shits. If you miss the life of the old LTD, and I'm going to be honest, I miss seeing you guys so active about it, just find another outlet for it. The LTD thread is for actual, concentrated discussion about the matter, but I personally don't mind dicking around in the Chit Chat thread as long as the Golden Rule of "Don't be an asshole" is followed.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Evidencing legitimate confusion: you understand why, but don't understand why?

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying.

I understand that people are reacting especially negatively to the thread and that is why we have instated the new rules. I also understand that everyone acts in a far more abrasive manner everywhere else in the forum without issue, so I am asking why these particular people react so negatively to this one particular thread, why it is taken more personally than the rest of the forum.

I understand the why, but not the why behind the why.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I understand that people are reacting especially negatively to the thread and that is why we have instated the new rules. I also understand that everyone acts in a far more abrasive manner everywhere else in the forum without issue, so I am asking why these particular people react so negatively to this one particular thread, why it is taken more personally than the rest of the forum.

I don't think this is true at all. The old LTD was by far more abrasive than any of the rest of the forum; it wasn't even close. Obviously, the new one is nowhere near that abrasive, specifically because we've instated far more stringent rules on how discussion in the LTD is managed, and there are other parts of the forum that are now more abrasive than the LTD currently is. However, the LTD rules were instated specifically because the old LTD got so far out of hand, and none of the rest of the forum has been as consistently abrasive as the old LTD thread was.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
If I may be so bold as to suggest that perhaps in other sections, members weren't receiving death threats?

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I don't think this is true at all. The old LTD was by far more abrasive than any of the rest of the forum; it wasn't even close. Obviously, the new one is nowhere near that abrasive, specifically because we've instated far more stringent rules on how discussion in the LTD is managed, and there are other parts of the forum that are now more abrasive than the LTD currently is. However, the LTD rules were instated specifically because the old LTD got so far out of hand, and none of the rest of the forum has been as consistently abrasive as the old LTD thread was.

Allow me to rephrase- even statements which are not and were not as abrasive as the rest of the forum atmosphere were taken more personally. I don't deny that the thread got quite heated at times, but that again comes back into why everyone seemed unable to deal with things they would shrug off everywhere else.

And I'm with Null, what death threats?

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum

Because people were specifically mocked for past beliefs. Because people were generally hostile jerks to one another. Because too much shit that should have stayed on other forums were brought up. Because outrageous comparisons were made between groups. Because people had too much bad blood against people of different groups.

Because evidently, some people just can't formulate arguments without insulting the other side *sigh*

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
Allow me to rephrase- even statements which are not and were not as abrasive as the rest of the forum atmosphere were taken more personally. I don't deny that the thread got quite heated at times, but that again comes back into why everyone seemed unable to deal with things they would shrug off everywhere else.

That's not the point, Ryu. People are still just as able to shrug shit off (no one here is taking any of this personally, you'll realize), the difference being there was so much bad blood and negativity stemming from that thread -- correction, (at least) three threads that the only option was to crack down on that behavior entirely. The first page clearly states none of that is to be tolerated anymore. Most of the people who kept posting in that thread either followed those rules or had to leave.

Mod or not, you're just as bound to those rules as you post frequently in the topic and were just as much a part of the problem that caused it to come to this. You're just as bound to the strict rules as any of us, and you stepped out of line. That's the issue here.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
If I may be so bold as to suggest that perhaps in other sections, members weren't receiving death threats?

Who was receiving these threats, when did it happen, and why has no one come forward with it until now?

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
As someone who has either avoided or (let's be honest here) been very vocal about my opinions of the LTD threads, I'm the wrong person to ask. But I can say that I've heard rumblings, and know of at least one person who felt the need to tell people of the opposing ship that they should burn (the word 'oven' was used liberally), and another member that they deserved to be paralyzed.

If that isn't bad blood, I don't know what is.

And it's not like those feelings of resentment don't linger, you know?

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Oh I agree, they do.

I wish that the people those comments were made toward would have come forward, though.

In fact I still think they should. Unless they don't actually feel threatened?

Even still, death threats on the forum are something that should not be taken lightly at all.

Scias

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Vega, Kyle Hyde
As someone who has either avoided or (let's be honest here) been very vocal about my opinions of the LTD threads, I'm the wrong person to ask. But I can say that I've heard rumblings, and know of at least one person who felt the need to tell people of the opposing ship that they should burn (the word 'oven' was used liberally), and another member that they deserved to be paralyzed.

If that isn't bad blood, I don't know what is.

And it's not like those feelings of resentment don't linger, you know?

I have no idea what's going on here and I may not be qualified to comment but with or without explicit death threats that kind of attitude is something completely uncivilized and unacceptable.

I mean, come on.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
Also as much as I don&#8217;t want to say this&#8230;but V, contacting Admins or whoever outside the forum is a totally terribly shit method of contact, it does not work, so a warning to anyone who needs to use this system in the near future, it&#8217;s a hell of a lot of effort &#8230;for F all results. Complain all you want about dupes&#8230;but it&#8217;s a wonderfully simple way of direct contact&#8230;without the BS.

wtf you've never tried to contact me ever. Granted I'm not an Admin, but still!

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Same. You never tried to contact me as well. You could have also tried Force, or Ryu.

Or hell, lurk in IRC until someone comes on.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Mod or not, you're just as bound to those rules as you post frequently in the topic and were just as much a part of the problem that caused it to come to this. You're just as bound to the strict rules as any of us, and you stepped out of line. That's the issue here.

Yes I'd like to say again, since I get the feeling some people don't get where I'm coming from... that this is the part I agree with. Whether or not the LTD topic needs to be strict or w/e is an entirely different matter.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
To the people saying that the mods should be held to a standard, I agree. The problem is, it often feels as though the posters want only the mods to be held to a standard, with none for themselves.

As to comments that I am 'just as responsible' well, remove the beam before complaining of the speck, child.

User, we aren't taking that opportunity away from you, YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED and you are constantly a nuisance. Granted, several non banned users are often nuisances themselves, but not to the same degree you are consistently.
You make promises to be sober each time you want to come back. You inevitably break this promise and act in the same manner as incurred your last ban.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
To the people saying that the mods should be held to a standard, I agree. The problem is, it often feels as though the posters want only the mods to be held to a standard, with none for themselves.
I don't feel this at all, and if this is true, it's because the mods SHOULD Be held to a higher standard than the regular members. So it makes more sense that the members are more likely to point out when a mod or an admin doesn't hold those standards.

EDIT:
oh and
User, we aren't taking that opportunity away from you, YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED and you are constantly a nuisance.
Yes, please just stop...

Top Bottom