The First Epic LTD of TLS forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
btw, Square actually did eventually make a game set in New York - it was Parasite Eve. I wonder if a lot of ideas originally intended for FFVII eventually wound up in that game.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
Kind of. That said, it's been several years since I played it so I don't remember too much about it. :wacky:

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
Kind of. That said, it's been several years since I played it so I don't remember too much about it. :wacky:

62283117oj1.jpg

:awesomonster:

Never mind that Kanji contains the meaning of words...

What, in particular, are you having trouble parsing, IANM? I'll try and go over it in a more understandable manner.

Umm, pretty much everything else I didn't quote. :monster:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Koibito has implications of mutuality- it means that the word contains an inherent 'link' to another person. In short, you're not a lover in a vacuum. You're someone's lover, same as you can't be a wife without a husband (or other wife, in places where that is legal).

Ah, the parsimony bits. I always have to wind up explaining parsimony, but it's so perfect a word to use for the situation. In short, Parsimony is the logical principle of reduction to only that which is necessary, and generally boils down to 'If you can adequately explain it without invoking additional quick fix explanations, do so'. The basic tenant is that you want, in the end, and having all the possible evidence, to have as few assumptions and quick fix solutions- the "ptolemic epicycles" I spoke of- as possible.

In fact, astronomy is an excellent example.
Way back in the day, people thought the heavens were circular. Planets, stars, the sun, they all went around the earth in a circle. This is the Ptolemic astronomical model.
But people started noting discrepancies. Planets going backwards along their 'perfect path'. So 'epicycles'- smaller circles that the bodies would travel in along their path- were thought up to explain these. And more bodies were detected acting retrograde. So more epicycles got added. More and more and more. Until finally, Copernicus figured out the current elliptical orbit theory, and this theory better fit the data, better accounted for the data without need for assumptions, it was, in short, more parsimonious. That's the simple version, but it will suffice.
There's also Aristotelean physics, which are hilarious, too long to get into now.
So, in this case, the C/A canon case is the Ptolemic astronomical model, and all the explanations they offer to explain away the chinks in their arguments are the epicycles.

Their explanation does not accurately model the available data, and all the bells and whistles they adorn their innacurate model with do not make it any more useful or accurate.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis

I smell a crack pairing. :monster: -adds to list- I absolutely love Parasite Eve, I've got to replay it again soon. ;)

it means that the word contains an inherent 'link' to another person.

Which is why when they started to realize the Koi_Bito thing was fail, they started to call it Kobito instead (for some reason), and then assumed that the other person Tifa linked to... was RUDE! And Johnny. And every other boy she met at the well in her uncanon diary.

Edit:

Sorry, I just rofled at this.

Don't forget Locke, he pined over Rachel even when she was dead; and what happen when he revived her for that short time?
She told him to stop feeling guilty over her death and to move on (sounds like another couple we know, eh?)
Unfortunately it seems he moved on with Celes...

Don't hurt yourself, my dear! You're so close to realizing the truth! x'D

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I've got Parasite Eve sitting unplayed :wacky: Maybe I'll play that next.

and we see his bike parked next to the flower field during Reminiscence.
That black thing next to the road is bigger than Cloud's bike, and it's always there. It's there, stationary, during the credits as Cloud is riding past.

On top of that - if the ending of AC was supposed to tell us that Cloud ends up with Tifa, then why wasn't Cloti portrayed in DoC?
On top of that - if the ending of AC was supposed to tell us that Cloud ends up with Aerith, then why wasn't Clerith portrayed in DoC?

Mako said:
"Mind your own business. You are not the one I truly wish to meet.."
It's not :monster: It is "The one I want to meet is..." in typical Japanese 'I'm gonna stop talking before the important bit' style.

Isabella said:
Virtually all printed work goes through an editor, and as far as I know SE doesn't staff its own editors. So I guess nothing is canon.
They don't. Even if they publish things themselves, they hire Bent Stuff to edit. Studio Bent Stuff, who wrongly edited Nomura's 'let's kill Aerith' quote and then he wouldn't do interviews with them for years.

I still remember before, when magazines got there info from Square and could be trusted. When it was about Aerith.

Cloudtail4ever said:
Sure, Tifa was a last minute character, but how was she decided on? By the creators choosing to kill off Aerith.
Where does 'last minute' come from, anyway?

Zack was last minute. That's why he doesn't even have a colour illustration for FFVII. Tifa might have been added later on, but that isn't the same as 'last minute'.

This 'Aerith's original character was Cloud's childhood friend' thing too. I've never seen a source for that.

They do realize 'bito' is the compound form of 'hito' right, and you cannot just have it sitting there by itself?
I'm sitting right here D:

'Slang form of 'hito'' or whatever was the craziest thing ever. Or one of them.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Wha? In Dissidia, Cloud doesn't say, "You are not the one I truly wish to meet." to Sephiroth?

Huh. So then they did have him thinking of someone else in mind for that. I wonder...

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
It's a bit liberal (not that liberal is bad :monster:), and still works. If Seph isn't the one he wants to meet, then that implies there's someone he does.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Koibito has implications of mutuality- it means that the word contains an inherent 'link' to another person. In short, you're not a lover in a vacuum. You're someone's lover, same as you can't be a wife without a husband (or other wife, in places where that is legal).

Ah, the parsimony bits. I always have to wind up explaining parsimony, but it's so perfect a word to use for the situation. In short, Parsimony is the logical principle of reduction to only that which is necessary, and generally boils down to 'If you can adequately explain it without invoking additional quick fix explanations, do so'. The basic tenant is that you want, in the end, and having all the possible evidence, to have as few assumptions and quick fix solutions- the "ptolemic epicycles" I spoke of- as possible.

In fact, astronomy is an excellent example.
Way back in the day, people thought the heavens were circular. Planets, stars, the sun, they all went around the earth in a circle. This is the Ptolemic astronomical model.
But people started noting discrepancies. Planets going backwards along their 'perfect path'. So 'epicycles'- smaller circles that the bodies would travel in along their path- were thought up to explain these. And more bodies were detected acting retrograde. So more epicycles got added. More and more and more. Until finally, Copernicus figured out the current elliptical orbit theory, and this theory better fit the data, better accounted for the data without need for assumptions, it was, in short, more parsimonious. That's the simple version, but it will suffice.
There's also Aristotelean physics, which are hilarious, too long to get into now.
So, in this case, the C/A canon case is the Ptolemic astronomical model, and all the explanations they offer to explain away the chinks in their arguments are the epicycles.

Their explanation does not accurately model the available data, and all the bells and whistles they adorn their innacurate model with do not make it any more useful or accurate.

Oh thank you. :lol: I get what you mean now.

I'm sorry being such a n00b and asking for an explanation :awesome:

I smell a crack pairing. :monster: -adds to list- I absolutely love Parasite Eve, I've got to replay it again soon. ;)

OMG I started smelling the crack too. :awesomonster: And I've got to replay it sometime as well. XDDDD

On top of that - if the ending of AC was supposed to tell us that Cloud ends up with Aerith, then why wasn't Clerith portrayed in DoC?

:bigmonster: Darn right!!!!

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster

And on top of that why wasn't Aerith even in DoC, like, at all? :wacky:

Oh yeah that's right it's because she was too important of a main character to even need to be included.

I wonder how important that makes Rufus and the Turks? They didn't show up either. They must be just as important as Aerith, then. But probably not as important since Reeve said one line that slightly hinted at Rufus. XD

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
That black thing next to the road is bigger than Cloud's big, and it's always there. It's there, stationary, during the credits as Cloud is riding past.

Clearly, The moving bike is just a red herring so we impure lot will not realize the truth that Cloud has parked it for pink passion amidst the posies.

Or ever?

They don't. Even if they publish things themselves, they hire Bent Stuff to edit. Studio Bent Stuff, who wrongly edited Nomura's 'let's kill Aerith' quote and then he wouldn't do interviews with them for years.

Was it them, or another mag that did that? Or both?

I still remember before, when magazines got there info from Square and could be trusted. When it was about Aerith.

I recall when you could still be trusted and still knew Japanese, hitobito :monster:

Where does 'last minute' come from, anyway?

The pinkers. They seized on the 'at the beginning' line, and construed from there that Tifa, present for nearly the entire story, was a last minute character. Makes no sense to me either.

Zack was last minute. That's why he doesn't even have a colour illustration for FFVII. Tifa might have been added later on, but that isn't the same as 'last minute'.

It is with the pink goggles on.

This 'Aerith's original character was Cloud's childhood friend' thing too. I've never seen a source for that.

I believe it's construed from the quote 'and we gave her role to Tifa' or whatever the actuals of that were.

I'm sitting right here D:

Bito bito bito bito bito bito.

'Slang form of 'hito'' or whatever was the craziest thing ever. Or one of them.

I was literally slack jawed when I saw that the first time. Lying about a video game is one thing. Lying about a language is a whole other one entirely.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
And on top of that why wasn't Aerith even in DoC, like, at all?

No, you're wrong! Aerith was mentioned as the girl Cloud would never forget, but in Japanese it says the girl who was always in Cloud's heart.

CLEARLY remembering a close friend means that you love them. I'm such a whore, then. D=

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Is it just me, or is the whole 'Tifa is a last minute character and Aerith's original role was given to her' actually supporting Cloti? I mean, the fact that they did that means that if Aerith was originally Cloud's heroine, then now it's officially Tifa. D: Or maybe it's just me.

I still stick to my earlier statement[?] that maybe those Cleriths are actually closet Clotis.

No, you're wrong! Aerith was mentioned as the girl Cloud would never forget, but in Japanese it says the girl who was always in Cloud's heart.

REALLY?! When? OMG I don't remember! I was sad that there weren't any references to Aerith in DC, but there actually is! GIMME A QUOTE PLZ I MUST KNOW O___O

Last edited:

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Is it just me, or is the whole 'Tifa is a last minute character and Aerith's original role was given to her' actually supporting Cloti? I mean, the fact that they did that means that if Aerith was originally Cloud's heroine, then now it's officially Tifa. D: Or maybe it's just me.

I still stick to my earlier statement[?] that maybe those Cleriths are actually closet Clotis.

You know you may be on to something there.

REALLY?! When? OMG I don't remember! I was sad that there weren't any references to Aerith in DC, but there actually is! GIMME A QUOTE PLZ I MUST KNOW O___O

It says so in the game booklet, and the NA DoC site refers to her as a "girl he would never forget."

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
DC manual :monster:

Was it them, or another mag that did that? Or both?
Dismantled. Which was edited by Bent Stuff, and published by Famitsu. So it super uncanon.

I recall when you could still be trusted and still knew Japanese, hitobito :monster:
I remember fondly the days of yonder :awesome:

Bito bito bito bito bito bito.
Only when I'm compounded, please.

Celes said:
The Japanese idiom means the same thing, though :monster:

But this is the world of 'koi bito', who knows what idioms mean.

Which reminds me of the many times I lulz'd playing FFVII, at any mention of 'meeting'. Cloud wants Tifa to 'meet' the real Cloud. Then she does. :awesome:

And 'places'. Do you know where Cloud's place is in FFVII? Mideel. While he's gibbering it up in a wheelchair, as 'strong' (yeah right, Nurse) looks after him.

Last edited:

Frostwave

lil' rice krispies
AKA
Elizabeth, Selda
It says so in the game booklet, and the NA DoC site refers to her as a "girl he would never forget."

Leading rabid Cleriths to say things like "They put her in the booklet even though she's not in the game! Why would they do that if they weren't reminding us that Aerith is always there even when she's not, and that she is Cloud's mega lady baby!"

I think I read someone post on youtube that this line in DoC's booklet was more confirmation that Aerith and Cloud's souls are bonded, and that she's in the game, just inside Cloud so we can't see her.
-_-

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
You know you may be on to something there.

INORITE :awesomonster: And the fact that they go around in circles with the whole "this is the past, this is the future" is Cloti-ish as well. 8D The argument with Tifa being last minute and Aerith originally having her role is "the past" and the released FFVII is "the future". Therefore, pre-production stuffs are irrelevant. Using their logic. :monster:

They are closet Clotis. They're just doing all those to get moar Cloti-fans. :awesome:

Game booklet? I remember losing that in a roadtrip without having been able to read it. :awesome: And I never look at official sites. XDDDD I just did right now. I am happy. XDDDD

Leading rabid Cleriths to say things like "They put her in the booklet even though she's not in the game! Why would they do that if they weren't reminding us that Aerith is always there even when she's not, and that she is Cloud's mega lady baby!"

I think I read someone post on youtube that this line in DoC's booklet was more confirmation that Aerith and Cloud's souls are bonded, and that she's in the game, just inside Cloud so we can't see her.
-_-

I LOL'd. I'm sorry. But I really just LOL'd.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Why would they do that if they weren't reminding us that Aerith is always there even when she's not, and that she is Cloud's mega lady baby!"
Because that's the bit talking about FFVII's story :monster:

It also calls Cloud an ex-SOLDIER :awesomonster:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Aerith and Cloud's souls are bonded, and that she's in the game, just inside Cloud so we can't see her.

Wait a minute... I don't recall, but are there any flowers in DoC? If so...

AERITH CAMEO. :B

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Which they never seem to remember, despite me knowing I've pointed it out about 30 times.

Y'know, the accidentally Cloti Clerith thing reminds me of the fundamentalists, who deny the possibility of evolution, yet propose a version of the Ark story that by its very nature incorporates super fast evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom