Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
I meant mentally beat himself.

I know it was a joke.

And just because Vincent is quiet means he's not paying attention to what's happening around him? Um... don't want someone like that in MY part. :/

Brooding about past events doesn't mean he's oblivious to everything Tennyo, you can be aware of what's going on, AND in your own little world.

A

Great Old One
Alright the type of person she comes off to me is the type who cares too much for others well being, why i'm quite different than her in that sense is i like to see people in pain, shes a healer mainly so yeah.
Lol, what? No offense, but it seems to me that Tifa's the one who works a lot more on trying to help others and their well being. Like Aki said, she can sometimes be a bit uncaring.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I know it was a joke.

haha joo ist so funneh

Brooding about past events doesn't mean he's oblivious to everything Tennyo, you can be aware of what's going on, AND in your own little world.

For the most part, yeah, it could mean that. But now we're digressing. He still doesn't go around making it really obvious, imho. But Vincent is still human, and he's going to morn the death of someone he knows.

Rinoa

Stargazer
AKA
Selene, Sheila
I'm with Masamune only because the people behind the Compilation now want us to see Aerith as a "perfect", innocent, motherly, (and at times) godly being.

All the possibly flawed things about Aerith and her decisions in FF7 (due to the game being Cloud & Tifa's POV) had other, grander, reasons behind them, so she can never be faulted for those.

I don't have anything against the new Aerith, the changes made the character truly virtuous and genuine. Better so, she wasn't flitting from safety to danger for the sake of plot - and she stayed true to her man.

Lily Ella

Pro Adventurer
I hate calling charas Mary Sues, because you can just about argue that any chara is a Mary Sue/Gary Stu (we could easily try to argue that Zack was a Gary Stu, for one) in a way, but... I kind of agree with Masa and Rinoa. Aeris wasn't quite a Mary Sue before, but the changes to the compilation, they definitely seem to be trying to make her into someone "perfectly good."

Then again, we haven't seen much of her in the compilation, and who knows what they'd do / how they would make her act if they were to ever have a FFVII remake.

Channy

Bad Habit
AKA
Ruby Rose, Lucy
AERITH IS NO MARY SUE. IF IT'S ANYONE, CLOUD IS A GARY STU BECAUSE HE'S NOT HIMSELF AND HE HAS SO MANY FLAWS YET HE'S SO PERFECT CAUSE HE GETS ALL THE GIRLS.... EVEN THE UNDERAGE ONES AND BLACK MEN!

...Yes.

A

Great Old One
In the original FFVII, she's not a Mary Sue at all - getting confused about lovers and having problems like those... :awesome: And I think she's portrayed to be seen that way in ACC/AC because she hardly has any scenes. *shrugs*

Cloud is far from being a Gary Stu, lmao.

And Zack can actually be called a Gary Stu too... though, I don't think any of the characters are Mary Sue's/Gary Stu's. I do see Tifa and Cloud being more developed characters however, and well rounded. Zack and Aerith are very flat characters.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
I THINK ZACK FAIR IS A GARY STU BECAUSE HE'S SO DAMN HOT AND PERFECT.

THERE I SAID IT. :rage:

Aerith is anything but a Mary Sue. :O If some people keep thinking that, then they totally missed the point of her character.

...though I think her name is kinda Sue-ish. I mean Aerith Gainsborough? :awesome: Only Sues get names like that.

Lily Ella

Pro Adventurer
And Zack can actually be called a Gary Stu too... though, I don't think any of the characters are Mary Sue's/Gary Stu's. I do see Tifa and Cloud being more developed characters however, and well rounded. Zack and Aerith are very flat characters.
Well, like I said, I don't like calling charas Mary Sue/Gary Stu, but if we had to choose 2 charas in the story to be the Mary Sue/Gary Stu of the story, then Zack & Aeris are definitely the ones. In FFVIII, Ellone would be the Mary Sue... In FFIX, I'm going with Vivi. :P

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Wait, I was kidding about Zack being a Stu...

But then it does make sense if he was. He was pretty talented and got to first before his other peers. And he's handsome. And friendly. And sexy. Everyone loves him. Except he doesn't have a tragic past. If you don't count all the stuff that happened in CC, that is. And it's pretty much present because it didn't happen long before he died and... wait.

Zack isn't a flat character. I've seen flatter characters before, and he's not one of them. Nor is Aerith. Although they do come pretty flat as dead people... but that's because, well, they're dead.

Last edited:

Restless

That One Person
AKA
WAW
Aerith wasn't a Mary Sue in the original game, and there were definately faults present. For AC/ACC, part of it was lack of screentime and another was that she was dead, and apparently at peace with herself (though she did worry about Cloud and such). In CC, we really don't see that much of her. When we do, it's bonding experience between Zack and her, and then at the end to really make Zack's death pack an even larger punch. She really doesn't have much of a reason to show these faults, though I guess clinging to a man for many years, with him not contacting her at all, can count as one...depending on how you look at it. It could be seen as an inability to move on (which is later shown in FFVII), though it's a bit hard to step back and see it like that when we know Zack existed and what happened to him. It's more of POV weakness/fault. I don't know much about her in BC, either, but she appeared in what, one episode?

Overall, I just think it's her other appearances that give her a more Maru Sue feel. In those appearances she was either A) dead, B) didn't appear much, or C) didn't play the type of role that called for those faults to serve a purpose.

paoo

♥
I'm late but... LOLOLOLOL, how can Aerith be a Mary Sue?!?!
And Aerith hate sucks, she is sooooo awesome. (Just because she's my fav :wacky:)
There, I said it.

A

Great Old One
I personally don't believe Aerith is a Mary Sue, although her short appearances can give reason to which why people believe that she can be described as one. She was given a lot more time in FFVII, thus letting us viewers see that she wasn't Mary Sue.

And Aerith hate does suck. :(

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Yeah I love Aerith but in FFVII there were times where she did seem a little insensitive to others. For example I use how she really pisses Barret off in the Gold Saucer, enough to where he stormed off and the party couldn't find him. During that scene I was all like, "wtf Aerith? That was rude..." lol

Last edited:

A

Great Old One
All characters have their Mary Sue moments, I think.

Also Tennyo, that just shows us that Aerith isn't perfect. :) Which I prefer, really. It's like Tifa being jealous - shows that they're more human too. ^_^

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Exactly. Nobody wants a perfect hero. That's just lame.

Sometimes it can work, because sometimes them being perfect is the point, and probably for the amusement of the other characters who don't like them. XD

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Yeah I love Aerith but in FFVII there were times where she did seem a little insensitive to others. For example I use how she really pisses Barret off in the Gold Saucer, enough to where he stormed off and the party couldn't find him. During that scene I was all like, "wtf Aerith? That was rude..." lol

The two scenes that got me with Aerith were at Gongaga, and when the party saved her from Hojo and she only thanked Cloud, lol.

And just to prove that no-one is perfect, Tifa is insecure. Had to to add something about Tifa, so some douche doesn't say I'm being unfair to Aerith, and only like Tifa because she 'can't do wrong'. *waves fist*

BOEG

Lv. 25 Adventurer
I could see how the camp is split down the middle here. Cloud showed care to each of these ladies throughout, they each have their advantages, their very human weaknesses, and their own special, irreplaceable relationship with Cloud.

What seems to be the deciding factor for me though, is...Aerith's dead.

I mean, any argument about who he cared for more is pretty irellevant after Disc One of the original game, because a massive part of Cloud's development as a character in the rest of the Compilation stems from his struggling to let go of his past and forgive himself for his mistakes.

Aerith herself urges him to let bygones be bygones and stop lamenting the dead. The only way she could have made herself more clear would be to tell Cloud to flat out marry Tifa.

Masamune

Fiat Lux
AKA
Masa
Aerith pisses Barret off? Barret could start a fight in an empty room. :monster:

Didn't Nomura even say that Tifa is the girl-next-door type, whereas Aerith is the perfect girl you only meet once in a lifetime? I read that somewhere. Please verify.

Sweet little flower girl in the skanky slums. Has outstanding abilities (compared to the rest of AVALANCHE). Only one who can stop the Big Bad. Becomes a martyr for her efforts. Etc. etc.

The term 'Mary Sue' doesn't have a strict definition. There are a few variations of the term. I don't think Aerith's a full-blown paradigm, but there are too many Mary Sue elements for me to find favour. I appreciate her significance to the narrative, but Tifa's where it's at!!

Restless

That One Person
AKA
WAW
I think Nomura said that Tifa was the childhood friend you've known forever, while Aerith is the girl her transfers to your school then quickly transfers agains. He was talking about Aerith leaving an impact on everyone else (and the player) in such a short amount of time, which is why she appeared more, I believe.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
I think Nomura said that Tifa was the childhood friend you've known forever, while Aerith is the girl her transfers to your school then quickly transfers agains. He was talking about Aerith leaving an impact on everyone else (and the player) in such a short amount of time, which is why she appeared more, I believe.

I'm sorry for the n00b question of inattentiveness, but where did you mean she appeared more? o.o

Restless

That One Person
AKA
WAW
I'm sorry for the n00b question of inattentiveness, but where did you mean she appeared more? o.o

I believe it he was talking about how they upped Aerith's appearances in the first fisc because they felt she needed to make an impact. Originally, she didn't show up as much, and the crew thought it wouldn't have as big an impact on the player. As "the girl who transfers quickly," they needed to show her more so the ones she is leaving behind felt really sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom