The First Epic LTD of TLS forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowfox

You look like you need a monkey
Oh God, the monkeys in X-2? :lol:
Summer/Winter? I still remember that shit.

So do I, unfortunately. Having read that 'essay' of theirs, I can't ever unread it. Monkey love proofz isn't the sort of thing one can simply forget.

I love the way they make all these unsupported assertions ("Such an expression wouldn't be used to express the relationship of friends") without making a damn bit of effort to back any of them up with anything other than speculation :monster:

It's another of their usual routines. Anything remotely Cloti is subjected to the strictest examination and run through the finest of fine-toothed combs, and if any of the i's aren't dotted or t's uncrossed, they'll instantly declare it unfit, but Clerith proof needs only the flimsiest of excuses to be touted as true and canon. Hell, Clerith proof doesn't even need to make sense to be true.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Hay guiz, I'm gonna retranslate FFVII but I'm going to translate all the idioms literally so you can properly understand what they mean. That's how you do it, right?

:rudefacepalm:

There's a show on Japanese TV station NHK, called "Scenery Engraved in [our] Hearts". Yeah. Scenery.

I watched something before where character talked, literally, about how their 'heart was broken'. But he wasn't talking about his love life. "One's heart breaks" in Japanese means that you're not sane or normal mentally any more. But if you took that literally, then the English version sounds like it's talking about love. They would have had to break up with in a spectacularly horrific way for it to work that way in Japanese. And even then, it's still going to be about how you can no longer function properly than it is about love.

It's a different language, it's not just some version of English with squiggly shapes. It developed completely separate from English, it's not related to it at all.

Regardless as to what it might sound like in English, the phrase means to remember something. Like what the English version of the manual said. (What happened to the old 'English version superiority' thing?)

I've been getting an email magazine with has been going through different expressions and idioms. But do any of these make sense if you looked at them literally? Can you tell what it means just from a literal translation?

【命の親】 Parent of life

【命の洗濯】 Life laundry

【面の皮が厚い】 Skin on the face is thick

【肌が合う】 Skin matches

【ひざが笑う】 Knees laugh

【ひざを崩す】 Break one's knees

【腹が黒い】 Stomach is black

【腹が立つ】 Stomach stands up

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
【命の洗濯】 Life laundry
【ひざが笑う】 Knees laugh
【腹が立つ】 Stomach stands up

What the heck, Japanese? :awesome:

Vendel

Banned
It's a different language, it's not just some version of English with squiggly shapes. It developed completely separate from English, it's not related to it at all.

:ondore:
KoibitoLIES1.jpg

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Incidentally, what do those idioms translate as?
I want to see people try to guess them first :awesome:

I'm reading subjecting myself to this Clerith.com essay now.

Although the word koibito was translated at The Lifestream.net as "beloved", the most common translation for that word is "sweetheart, lover, or girlfriend/boyfriend".

So they've completely abandoned the whole "it only means lover if your some stupid Westerner/unwashed otaku" then?

And what's this "Cloud2" magazine?

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
So they've completely abandoned the whole "it only means lover if your some stupid Westerner/unwashed otaku" then?
It's amazing how one word can cause so much chaos.

I don't think Clerith.com had that, this site did:
http://www.geocities.com/anime_art2003/Koibito.html

Resha, Saicho, Kenji, and Shadow Spirit have already politely asked that you stop mangling a language you don't understand.
Hito, knock it off, I mean it :rage:

Last edited:

Isabella

Your Mom
Where did the rule come from that "koibito" needs Cloud's name attached to it? It just seems awful convenient to me. "It doesn't specify who Tifa's a koibito to so we'll just blow that off ... "

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Random CloTi: "Pfft, Nomura is talking about Cloud loving Aerith as a brother/father/son/friend, etc, etc...."
The fuck?

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Incidentally, I didn't pick the word "beloved" :monster: I've said it before. That was Mako's suggestion.

I wanted to use "sweetheart" for the lulz :awesome:

I have yet to say "oh hey dudes, 'koibito' means one-sided love only!" I've not said anything I haven't been saying since 2005/6.

I have seen Japanese fans bring up that one-sided definition, apparently from the Kojien (which is the Japanese dictionary... I mean the actual one that exists). But the Kojien also list archaic usages, and I don't have a copy to check myself.

Some Japanese fans seem to take it as simply Aerith's feelings for Cloud, but they're probably biased Clotis. Oh wait, I forgot Japanese Clotis don't exist.

If Japanese fans disagree with what it means, then what's the problem with English fans having to deal with it too? :monster:

Shadowfox

You look like you need a monkey
【命の洗濯】 Life laundry
【腹が立つ】 Stomach stands up
【肌が合う】 Skin matches

【命の親】 Parent of life
【ひざが笑う】 Knees laugh

【腹が黒い】 Stomach is black
【ひざが笑う】 Knees laugh

Awesome haiku material, hito! :awesome: (give or take a syllable or two)

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
Where did the rule come from that "koibito" needs Cloud's name attached to it? It just seems awful convenient to me. "It doesn't specify who Tifa's a koibito to so we'll just blow that off ... "

It isn't specified who Tifa is a mother or an ally to either and yet everyone can happily see that she's a mother in reference to Denzel and Marlene, and an ally to Avalanche etc. Clarification by stating to whom she is a mother or ally to is not required because it's that obvious. The same line of logic also applies to who Tifa is a girlfriend/sweetheart to, and this person can only be Cloud - the guy she's had feelings for since she was at least 15 and is now living and raising children with.

I just don't understand how some people can try and make out it's saying anything else.

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I remember being told that being "wide-faced" means that you're popular in Japan. The explanation for it was something like "If you're wide-faced, you're sooooo popular that everyone can see it and knows who you are." :awesome:

【命の洗濯】 Life laundry
My guess is something like "dealing with your issues" or the issues in your life or something. Like hanging your laundry out to dry.

【腹が立つ】 Stomach stands up
Throwing up? :awesome:

【肌が合う】 Skin matches
Uh... like "birds of a feather"? I have no idea.

【命の親】 Parent of life
No idea. D:

Being thick-skinned? Able to take an insult?

【ひざが笑う】 Knees laugh
Knee-slapping laugh?

【腹が黒い】 Stomach is black
...I honestly have no idea. :awesome:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
I have to ask, what the does irl stuff have to do with a discussion of fictional pairings?

Because it's an example of heart engraving/ heart living that's not romantic

Because Tifa doesn't get the engravement. D :

Yeah she does. Cloud has engraved his promise with her on his heart. Though I do recall someone throwing a stink because it was 'etched' rather than 'engraved' even though they mean the same thing.

Even if this were true in English (and it's not), it doesn't mean it's true in Japanese.

Which it isn't.

So do I, unfortunately. Having read that 'essay' of theirs, I can't ever unread it. Monkey love proofz isn't the sort of thing one can simply forget.

It's another of their usual routines. Anything remotely Cloti is subjected to the strictest examination and run through the finest of fine-toothed combs, and if any of the i's aren't dotted or t's uncrossed, they'll instantly declare it unfit,

Even if they are all dotted and crossed and undeniably so, a la 'the happier Cloud is...' they declare it unfit because it doesn't match their fanfic.

but Clerith proof needs only the flimsiest of excuses to be touted as true and canon. Hell, Clerith proof doesn't even need to make sense to be true.

It doesn't even have to be remotely about Cloud and Aerith in some cases. DoC was Clerith according to some claims, because Vinny and Luccy were so totally the same.

Ohs no. He chose the archaic translation of a word because he was advised to avoid the subject and avoid lulz, ergo bias! Meanwhile, the same people bitching are the same ones who let Koi-Bito go on for three years.
But yes, we've also been saying that people can be mistaken as to mutuality before. Meanwhile, YOU FUCKS have said it means anything from 'one who loves' to 'nice person' to not meaning lover when written in Kanji.

I want to see people try to guess them first :awesome:

I'm reading subjecting myself to this Clerith.com essay now.

Yes. Now that Ilfana the woman used it to refer to Cloud. Funny how it still doesn't mean anything in the Reunion files statement.

And what's this "Cloud2" magazine?

I vaguely recall it being some sort of ACC promo shit, but I don't recall it having much in the way of content.

It's amazing how one word can cause so much chaos.

I don't think Clerith.com had that, this site did:
http://www.geocities.com/anime_art2003/Koibito.html

That site and Clerith.com are made by the same people. Both are CxA brainchildren.

Resha, Saicho, Kenji, and Shadow Spirit have already politely asked that you stop mangling a language you don't understand.
Hito, knock it off, I mean it :rage:[/QUOTE]

I think Resha, Saicho, Kenji, and Shadowfox ought to stop calling the hitokettle black. In other words they might understand better, Resha, Saicho, Kenji, SS, NO U.

Well, it never specifies who LSB and LSW are about. Must be Mukki and Ilfana...

Incidentally, I didn't pick the word "beloved" :monster: I've said it before. That was Mako's suggestion.

I wanted to use "sweetheart" for the lulz :awesome:

The lulz are greater this way my good man.

I have yet to say "oh hey dudes, 'koibito' means one-sided love only!" I've not said anything I haven't been saying since 2005/6.

Hell, we're not even saying it now. We're saying the recently dead are capable of being mistaken, especially as they begin to lose sections of themselves and have to focus on their connection to a living person to remain coherent.

I have seen Japanese fans bring up that one-sided definition, apparently from the Kojien (which is the Japanese dictionary... I mean the actual one that exists). But the Kojien also list archaic usages, and I don't have a copy to check myself.

It does yes- the JP dept at UNC had a copy, natch, and that's where I got the 'it can mean beloved, but that's somewhat archaic' from, so yeah.

Some Japanese fans seem to take it as simply Aerith's feelings for Cloud, but they're probably biased Clotis. Oh wait, I forgot Japanese Clotis don't exist.

They don't exist, and yet they are biased. Amazing.

If Japanese fans disagree with what it means, then what's the problem with English fans having to deal with it too? :monster:

Because WE are apparently the ones SE is pandering to. Since there are no JP Cloti, after all.

And Quexi- Wuxia is shorthand for all martial arts movies and the choreography used therein.

Last edited:

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Because WE are apparently the ones SE is pandering to. Since there are no JP Cloti, after all.

And Quexi- Wuxia is shorthand for all martial arts movies and the choreography used therein.
Didn't the person who wrote said essay that said "All JP Clotis think it's a fanon pair" recently admit that there are plenty of JP Clotis who feel it's canon? Maybe I'm imagining it. :awesome:

Eerie

Fire and Blood
I just read that Janet Jackson said that Michael would live forever in their hearts. Somehow, I got a new perspective with the cleriths' claims :awesome:
AdTwoBrainBleachcopy.png

[for anyone in need ^^]

OK, now I'll have a try at hito's expression - but fuck, where did you get that, it's lulz-worthy XDDDDDD.

【命の親】 Parent of life
?? [where are my Japanese genes? :awesome:] I don't know :monster: I guess the more important word would be life and it has something to do with that. Parent seems a word that could mean something else in that context. Am I making sense? :monster:

【命の洗濯】 Life laundry
[I just had an odd image of piles and piles of laundry... LOL]. Maybe it's akin to what Ninira said - the problems that one can encounter in a lifetime?

No clue. Someone who's tough?

【肌が合う】 Skin matches
Mmh, WHUT lol. Expression to say two people are alike? :monster: Maybe not even physically, but mentally?

【ひざが笑う】 Knees laugh
*looks at her knees* Oh stop laughing FFS. XD
Err, more seriously, this one, I really, really can't guess. Someone who walks like a duck or something? :wacky:

To pwn someone verbally?

【腹が黒い】 Stomach is black
Err.. Stomach ache? No. Too obvious. Either to say one's hungry or full, I guess.

【腹が立つ】 Stomach stands up
*has an odd image of a stomach standing up* Ok, now where's my Bleach Brain >_> Oh yeah, it means that I have no clue at all, if you're wondering :awesome:

Useless and wrong translations by me :wacky:

Last edited:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
I've also never said the RF quote definitely refers to Cloud, which is something I've seen attributed to me before. I just think it's the most likely :monster: And am repeating myself.

Didn't the person who wrote said essay that said "All JP Clotis think it's a fanon pair" recently admit that there are plenty of JP Clotis who feel it's canon? Maybe I'm imagining it. :awesome:
This reminds me of whole "if there's still Japanese fans who don't think Cloti is canon, then it can't have meant that" thing about the RF. But the thing is, maybe some of those Japanese people just aren't big enough geeks to be reading video game books like these :monster: Just because they exist, doesn't mean every fan will have read or heard about them.

And you got one basically right (which thinking about it was pretty easy actually), the skin matching one. So I replace it with 虫がいい (insect is good) :awesome:

Yeah she does. Cloud has engraved his promise with her on his heart. Though I do recall someone throwing a stink because it was 'etched' rather than 'engraved' even though they mean the same thing.
They were the same thing (刻む), and the other was a synonym of 'heart' (胸 instead of 心).

Both of which could equally be translated as the not-as-romantic 'mind' anyway.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
This reminds me of whole "if there's still Japanese fans who don't think Cloti is canon, then it can't have meant that" thing about the RF. But the thing is, maybe some of those Japanese people just aren't big enough geeks to be reading video game books like these :monster: Just because they exist, doesn't mean every fan will have read or heard about them.

Or, for another explanation, maybe they just don't want to admit it. Harmonians and such.

They were the same thing (刻む), and the other was a synonym of 'heart' (胸 instead of 心).

Both of which could equally be translated as the not-as-romantic 'mind' anyway.

I'm aware. The hilarious bit I didn't mention earlier- since the punchline hadn't been set up yet- was that they were talking about two english translations, insisting that 'etching on a mind' wasn't romantic, but that 'engraving on a heart', despite the whole interchangability of the entire sentence (Unless someone honestly believes the 'heart' is a distinct psychological entity from the rest of the mind, but that's bronze age thinking).

But yeah. Most silly.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets

No, you see, Japanese are GODS, and their word is law. Especially when it comes to video games. They come from their own country so they must know absolutely everything about them and be right in every aspect when it comes to VG discussions, rite? :awesome:
Japanese people are always more correct than us ignorant and stupid westerners! How can we even DARE try to interpret a Japanese game without consulting an almight Japanese person first?
SHAME on you.

Alessa Gillespie

AKA
No, you see, Japanese are GODS, and their word is law. Especially when it comes to video games. They come from their own country so they must know absolutely everything about them and be right in every aspect when it comes to VG discussions, rite? :awesome:
Japanese people are always more correct than us ignorant and stupid westerners! How can we even DARE try to interpret a Japanese game without consulting an almight Japanese person first?
SHAME on you.
But don't you know? Squeenix has been saying all of this stuff, but it's wrong. They must have lost their Japanese-ness somewhere during those vidya games. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom