Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
Miss Martian is too adorable to fap to.

Go to hell fgt.

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
I think it does? What else could it possibly mean?1 *denial*

Even if they did take it all away. Why do you think they wrote it in the first place? This scene is the product of all the story elements that came before, what does it say about where it all leads to?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Noooo, my wishy-washy 'discussion' title D:

I can't believe I missed koibito talk.

Somewhere people had "well, there's Japanese fans who ask what Tifa and Cloud's relationship is, so it must not be confirmed" as an argument against it, but just because they're Japanese and can read these books, doesn't mean every single one does. They might just be some casual fan who played the game years ago and watched the film, but doesn't go and read every book that comes out.

On Cloud leaving: From the AC Prologue book, in reply to a question about what happened to Cloud in the two years before AC to make him go back to how he used to be:

"Nojima: Cloud never had a candid personality to begin with, and although he started living with Tifa and even started working, he obtained a peaceful living he's never experienced before, and this conversely made him anxious. And in the midst of this he contracts Geostigma himself, and rather than being able to protect the people dear to him, he instead was forced to face his own death, and so ran away.

Nomura: Even though he found peace, Cloud has lost a lot of people dear to him up until this point. Not only that, but looking at Cloud's history, this is the first time he's experienced a 'peaceful' environment in the true sense of the word. Cloud is a character who will always keep thinking, regardless of what's going on around him."

Shonen Gangan (2005, October):

"-- So, why has Cloud separated himself from his friends?

Nomura: Cloud is scared that the peace he has now might shatter, so he is living on his own.

-- Why?

Nomura: In the past he meet Zack, his best friend, and Aerith, someone who was important to him, but he lost them, so wonders if his present peace will also shatter one day... Since something might happen while he's around, he left everyone behind and is doing delivery work on his own.

-- But he still has a mobile phone, and he doesn't seem to have rejected other people outright.

Nomura: Yeah. Delivery work itself is something which connects people together. While he appears to be rejecting other people, in actual face he feels lonely deep down. That's why he has his mobile phone."

On Aerith being more prominent than Tifa on disk 1: It's because she dies. At first, some of the staff thought that she didn't really make much of a mark before she died, so they upped her appearances. (10th Anniversary Ultimania interview with Nojima (who said it), Kitase and Nomura.)

annacamille

the feels.
AKA
dewey dell / annacamille / anna
-- But he still has a mobile phone, and he doesn't seem to have rejected other people outright.

Nomura: Yeah. Delivery work itself is something which connects people together. While he appears to be rejecting other people, in actual face he feels lonely deep down. That's why he has his mobile phone."
And here I thought that Cloud only had a mobile phone because he was endorsing it...
http://www.wirelesswatch.jp/images/P900iV.jpg

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
Hell, I fucking love Squall/Quistis and wish it happened but you don't see me rejecting reality like Orihime and trying to ignore the fact Rinoa's Squall's....

Koibito

:awesomonster:

Ditto that. I hate Squinoa. It seems so fake to me, and I always thought that Squall/Quists seemed more likely in the beginning despite the fact that I knew who the main pairing was. But I don't throw a fit and try to make my pairing the one true pairing of the story. There's nothing wrong with preference it's when you dispute the canon truth that fur starts to fly.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Now there's a very Meta thought. By having a pairing that people do not like confirm, and having it be 'destiny', could Square be giving a giant middle finger to fans of a pairing they did not make?

The lady in pink rebuffed for the dark haired girl?
Of course, that's almost assuredly reading far too much into things at nearly 3 in the morning.

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I wouldn't think it to be an intentional middle finger but still, the author/creator/head(s) of staff have sole control over the story and they know how they want it to go, and if they feel there is a right or wrong way they have the right to make the story flow in such a way. We may like it, or we may not, but it's not in our rights to be able to dictate someone else's story as canon truth.

A

Great Old One
No, it isn't our rights. But it's not like people are forcing them to debate either, it's whomever the person's responsibility in whom they wish to 'get dictated' by... unless, you're talking about that. I'm a bit dazed, so sorry if this is completely what you're not talking about....

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
I'm not entirely sure I 100% completely followed you there, but you are right about one thing. These other people aren't being forced to debate. They just throw themselves into it.

And I think that last statement had something to do with what you just said. :P

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
lol Topic change. XD

But yeah, it is exciting, isn't it? But just think, once it's here, the excitement of waiting for it will be gone. :(

Holy Light

Citizen of dial up hell
AKA
ilianapandora (Youtube)
wow suddenly I feel like im stepping into the lion's den by posting in this thread, but here's my 2 cents on the debate. I'm a clerith fan through and through. Ok im not a batshit crazy fan, but I favor the pairing over that of cloti. However, I know that Cloud and Tifa are most likely the couple Nomura wanted them to be rather than Cloud and Aerith. I mean if he wanted Aerith and Cloud together, he'd probably work it to where they'd end up being together right? Many things point to Cloud and Tifa being together: Cloud lives with Tifa (and marlene and Denzel), there were even big hints in the game Cloud liked Tifa (if i remember right).

What I dont get is how some fans can still figure that Cloud and Aerith end up / will end up, together. Aerith is dead, D-E-A-D, unless Cloud goes off and gets killed, not even I, a Clerith fan see it happening. I guess I view it the same way the Squall/Quistis fans do. I'd LIKE to see Clerith be a reality for the compilation, but i'm not going to ignore Cloud and Tifa most likely end up together.

Sorry if my post isnt too relevant, but I wanted to point out my view on the debate for a while XD.

A

Great Old One
No, always nice to see a Clerith fan. :)

And I don't think Aerith being dead necessarily changes Cloud and Aerith's relationship overall. You know those lines, 'love tracends over death,' or something... people are probably attracted to their complex relationship, and I can understand why people like that. I mean, Aerith and Cloud are still communicating in ACC, I don't think it totally crosses out the fact that people like Clerith. And you know, then there's people who think that Cloud and Aerith has better chemistry than Cloti, so yeah... :monster:

Holy Light

Citizen of dial up hell
AKA
ilianapandora (Youtube)
I guess that makes sense. I know a few people who look at each relationship and base who gets together with who by their interactions with one another (Like those who favor Vincent x Yuffie). I think Cloud and Aerith had a little bit better chemistry than Cloud and Tifa, but then again, im the clerith fan LOL

A

Great Old One
Yeah, see? :monster:

Though truthfully, in terms of 'chemistry,' I don't think we'll ever know who has more chemistry with Cloud - maybe it's how happy they are when they're together that counts, not chemistry wise - I mean, some people can have horrible chemistry... but get along because they try, or because they just... match....

I'm not sounding too good tonight. Just ignore me. :awesomonster:

Holy Light

Citizen of dial up hell
AKA
ilianapandora (Youtube)
Making as much sense as i am :awesomonster: although if it counted when it comes to who's happier when being together wise, that kind of makes me think Cloud isn't so happy, with either of them. He always seemed either shy or miserable.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Don't worry, HL. None of us really care if you like C/A. Most of what we are concerned with here is the actual story, and who got with whom, not what you prefer.

Of course, such vague and wishy washy things as 'chemistry' are nearly umverifiable, and are largely irrelevant too. The only thing that's really relevant is what can be proven about which of the possible choices, if any, Cloud prefers.

If you're not claiming C/A as canon, we will have no squabble. If you do try, then I would be quite interested to try and discuss this.
I have so few willing chewto- I mean discussion partners nowadays.

As for who Cloud is happy with- it's actually Cloud's happiness that leads to some of Cloud's issues in AC. The happier he is with Tifa and the kids, the more his unresolved guilt weighs on his shoulders.

A

Great Old One
Making as much sense as i am :awesomonster: although if it counted when it comes to who's happier when being together wise, that kind of makes me think Cloud isn't so happy, with either of them. He always seemed either shy or miserable.
LOL, you know, I actually think he'd be perfectly content with either of them - but yeah, seeing how shy he is, and... awkward, I feel more bad for the girls then him. :awesomonster:

As for who Cloud is happy with- it's actually Cloud's happiness that leads to some of Cloud's issues in AC. The happier he is with Tifa and the kids, the more his unresolved guilt weighs on his shoulders.
This quote always bothered me - especially because people think that Cloud and Tifa's relationship is based off of guilt, as this quote provides that the 'happier he is with Tifa,' the more 'unresolved guilt that weighs on his shoulders,' apparently meaning that Cloud feels guilty when he's around Tifa.

Of course, that was only in AC, and we clearly see Cloud releasing his guilt in ACC. :awesomonster:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Wait, WHAT? I don't get how that one follows, BBM. What it means is that Cloud esentially feels undeserving of the happiness he feels in his new life, and he feels guilty about it.

I don't get how you can take it that it means 'his relationship with tifa is based off of guilt' at all. It seems like such a leap in logic.

Holy Light

Citizen of dial up hell
AKA
ilianapandora (Youtube)
@ Ryushikaze - I feel for those who believe CxA is canon. Im a fan and all but im not THAT crazy to think that and i've seen and heard how the really die hard fans will go nuts if anything less/other than canon is debated.

@ BBM - I agree with you. Maybe Cloud just can't make up his mind, thats all. XD

A

Great Old One
I know, I've debated with people who interpret that as a way of Cloud and Tifa's 'chemistry,' being a bad one because Cloud apparently (hence, apparently) feels guilty when he's around Tifa.

I never said I took it as it means, 'his relationship with Tifa is based off of guilt,' at all.

A

Great Old One
A new interview is up online, with these handy statements at hand:

“The part where Cloud addresses Tifa as “Mrs.” Tifa, I made that hoping that the people playing it would be taken aback by the change in Cloud and it would really hit the player.”

“Nomura: The scene that sticks out for me is the scene when Tifa going into Cloud’s mental realm and he remembers the truth about what happened in the past.”
-From NOMURA himself. :monster:

“Kitase: But I remember having to get another version that was too intense toned down.”

“Nojima: The original idea was more extreme. The plan was to have Cloud walk out of the Chocobo stable on board the Highwind, followed by Tifa leaving while checking around, but Kitase turned it down. But even with line in question, maybe at first none of us thought it would be something so important (laughs).”

“Aerith seeing her first love again in Cloud was already there, so I brought him to link that with solving the mysteries.”

This is just great. :monster:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom