The Lifestream - Free Company (An FFXIV Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
FYI, I put some Krakka root that the garden produced into the Company Chest the other day. So, feel free to train up some chocobos. I haven't been on to check how the curiel root I planted from crossbreeding the krakka root and chamomile is doing. It is supposed to raise the chocobo's exp rate though.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Save an early room for me you butts >3>

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
Story-mode finished

Ready for Team-Ups!

EDIT: Also has anyone tried PvP yet?

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
Haven't tried PVP yet <3

I'll be back on maybe later today or tomorrow, I've been taking a bit of a break from it since beating Titan Extreme.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
That's fine, I've been catching up on fishing. I can finally roll a lot of junk gear into materia because that's my last low level DoL job.

TBH I wouldn't mind going through the last missions again with you guys, because I skipped all of the cutscenes on purpose to catch up with duty finders, and people were still rushing me (my load screens were lagging--at one point I was locked out of a boss battle.)

I know they reward speed for tomes, but the development team kinda shot themselves in the foot there, since that was a lot of story build-up just to be rushed at the end. A lot of the cutscenes aren't in the Inn book viewer, and a lot of the duty people trick players by saying they are.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
That's fine, I've been catching up on fishing. I can finally roll a lot of junk gear into materia because that's my last low level DoL job.

TBH I wouldn't mind going through the last missions again with you guys, because I skipped all of the cutscenes on purpose to catch up with duty finders, and people were still rushing me (my load screens were lagging--at one point I was locked out of a boss battle.)

I know they reward speed for tomes, but the development team kinda shot themselves in the foot there, since that was a lot of story build-up just to be rushed at the end. A lot of the cutscenes aren't in the Inn book viewer, and a lot of the duty people trick players by saying they are.

Yep. My wife just started playing and leveling an archer. I know she likes story and will want to watch the cutscenes during that last dungeon. I did it when the game was new, so more people were willing to wait because it was also their first times. It is actually more exciting if you watch them in the dungeon instead of in the inn, IMO. Maybe we can put together a story run at some point. :)

Lex

Administrator
Wouldn't mind doing a story run since I haven't actually seen the cutscenes even though I've run both Castrum and Praetorium about a hundred times. The thought of doing either outwith the roulette gives me pointlessness feelings though.

Anyway if its your first time running the dungeon, don't worry about watching the cutscenes. You'll be left behind and have zero clue what to do, but that's OK because the rest of the team are completely overlevelled anyway and will carry you through :monster:

Lex

Administrator
I looked them up after posting that, but until then no, I had never seen the final cutscenes. I've seen all the other cutscenes, I don't skip them. But I learned very quickly that if you want to do Castrum or Praetorium at all, you skip the cutscenes.

Lex

Administrator
You can directly teleport there using teleport - it's the first option on your list.

Barring that, you can go directly to The Mist. Or you can go to Limsa Lominsa and teleport to The Mist. Ward 6, Lot... twenty something. Five maybe.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, I love the house. I kind of like the layout of the small one better than the bigger ones. Did you progress any further on your relic quest?

I looked them up after posting that, but until then no, I had never seen the final cutscenes. I've seen all the other cutscenes, I don't skip them. But I learned very quickly that if you want to do Castrum or Praetorium at all, you skip the cutscenes.

Which is a shame because it is so much more epic if you watch them while running the dungeon.

Lex

Administrator
I watched the first two cutscenes in Castrum and got screamed at, so I learned quickly not to. And while I was annoyed and felt it was unjust blah blah blah I quickly learned that waiting for everyone to watch the cutscenes when you're doing your daily roulette of either dungeon is simply not an option. I don't blame those players for complaining, I blame SE for the way they've got the roulette set up.

If I had to watch the cutscenes in those dungeons every day I think I'd rip my own face off. While I would never complain about a player watching the cutscenes, it is a burden if more than one person is doing it. If you watch them you'll get locked out of the boss fights, and that's the end of it. People are fast at it now - I don't know when you completed the game Force, but every run now is a speedrun and I'm OK with that.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Yeah, I love the house. I kind of like the layout of the small one better than the bigger ones. Did you progress any further on your relic quest?

A little. Beat the chimera, then was told the weapon was done but I had to get some book from mor dhona. Went to mor dhona and was told I only get the book after doing a dungeon I haven't unlocked yet, and then I told the game to cram it. :monster:

Thanks a lot for your help/generosity, again.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I'm starting to frequent the house more too. I have like 80,000 more gil to go to buy a room. When I do I'm setting my home point.

I like hanging around the place for crafting because people aren't jumping over my head, all the merchants that sell the good stuff are there and the music's really calm.

Also for some reason all day the duty finder has been finding me matches in like 6 seconds, literally. I really like being a Marauder.

Knuxson

Pro Adventurer
I'm starting to frequent the house more too. I have like 80,000 more gil to go to buy a room. When I do I'm setting my home point.

I like hanging around the place for crafting because people aren't jumping over my head, all the merchants that sell the good stuff are there and the music's really calm.

Also for some reason all day the duty finder has been finding me matches in like 6 seconds, literally. I really like being a Marauder.

Yeah, being a tank is great for using the duty finder. I sometimes think about going as a monk, which is the only other class I have at 50, but after waiting for about 5 minutes I just say, "screw it" and switch back to Paladin for instant entry. :D

I watched the first two cutscenes in Castrum and got screamed at, so I learned quickly not to. And while I was annoyed and felt it was unjust blah blah blah I quickly learned that waiting for everyone to watch the cutscenes when you're doing your daily roulette of either dungeon is simply not an option. I don't blame those players for complaining, I blame SE for the way they've got the roulette set up.

If I had to watch the cutscenes in those dungeons every day I think I'd rip my own face off. While I would never complain about a player watching the cutscenes, it is a burden if more than one person is doing it. If you watch them you'll get locked out of the boss fights, and that's the end of it. People are fast at it now - I don't know when you completed the game Force, but every run now is a speedrun and I'm OK with that.

I agree. SE should have planned better for that scenario. But that is why a story run would kind of be fun. We could play it as it was meant to be experienced.

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
every run now is a speedrun and I'm OK with that.

I'm kind of... not. :monster:

I think it should be the obligation of the community to put up with and help out people new to dungeons. Most people I've been in parties with ask at the beginning if there's anyone new to the dungeon, and for some first-time runs I've had people simply leave at the start.
That's on them, and that's reasonable if they don't want to put up with it. But I don't think people should ever belittle anyone else for not knowing or not having experience.

Speedruns in dungeons by nature should be for premade groups in an MMO, not the public queue, and it's unfair to assume that everyone else already has the experience that they've had just because they want to get their super EXP and super gil super fast. Especially in the Duty Roulette, whose central design by nature exists as an incentive for players to assist newbies in dungeon runs that they may not necessarily participate in otherwise simply because it doesn't net enough for the day.

ForceStealer

Double Growth

I think it should be the obligation of the community to put up with and help out people new to dungeons. Most people I've been in parties with ask at the beginning if there's anyone new to the dungeon, and for some first-time runs I've had people simply leave at the start.
That's on them, and that's reasonable if they don't want to put up with it. But I don't think people should ever belittle anyone else for not knowing or not having experience.

Speedruns in dungeons by nature should be for premade groups in an MMO, not the public queue, and it's unfair to assume that everyone else already has the experience that they've had just because they want to get their super EXP and super gil super fast. Especially in the Duty Roulette, whose central design by nature exists as an incentive for players to assist newbies in dungeon runs that they may not necessarily participate in otherwise simply because it doesn't net enough for the day.

Troof.

I play games for the story and I would expect the same of most Final Fantasy players. So if I want to watch the (pretty badass) cutscenes, I shouldn't be punished for that. If you're sick of waiting because you've had to run the dungeon 30 million times...well, that's my whole problem with MMO game design.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
The way they set it up was very bad, I'll agree with Lex on that. On the last stages, I forgot to skip scenes and unusually, no one threw a hissy fit with me. One even wished me good luck with the rest of the game, bless.

I'd be all up for a story run btw. :monster:

Lex

Administrator

Troof.

I play games for the story and I would expect the same of most Final Fantasy players. So if I want to watch the (pretty badass) cutscenes, I shouldn't be punished for that. If you're sick of waiting because you've had to run the dungeon 30 million times...well, that's my whole problem with MMO game design.

Then you need to blame SE for the system, not attempt to shame players for not being Real Final Fantasy Fans(tm) like you just because they don't want to spend half an hour watching stuff they've seen already. The Duty Roulette is there to give players a way to rack up myth/soldiery while keeping wait times down for players who are going through the story for the first time. I accept the fact that I played those last story dungeons later than the whole curve (like 3 months ago I think) by which time the vast majority of players had already done it, so skipping the cutscenes didn't bother me. The part that bothered me was not knowing to touch the key thing in Praetorium for the magitek armour (because I was already behind), so I got left behind.

If you find a group of 7 randomly-matched people willing to prolong Castrum and Praetorium by half an hour when they can be done in 20 minutes, please point them out to me because they sound like lovely people. It's a daily repeatable reward. I was of course outraged the first time I did these dungeons but I understood immediately as soon as I started farming why that had been the case.

It's a nice ideal guys, but ultimately just unsupportable. It's unreasonable to expect people to prolong those dungeons and watch those cutscenes every day, and it's not about childish impatience. If we were to roll back to the time that everyone was new to it, everyone would be watching the cutscenes and that would be that. We're almost a year into the game's release now, so it's simply no dice on that front.

Players who are after the cutscenes in those last two dungeons thankfully have the party finder, which has options for "no cutscene skipping". I suspect that's why the option is there. I don't think it's right to frown upon people who have run it a thousand times and don't want to prolong the agony for a quick farm. If you don't like the way it is, find a group who's in line with what you think and run it with them.

Incidentally, the roulette has taken a hit again since doing hunts is about a hundred times more lucrative for myth and soldiery than dungeon roulettes ever were.

A good compromise might be to set up a system whereby cutscenes are unskipabble for all if more than 2 or 3 people are new to the place, but you bet your ass there'd be an uproar if that happened.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I can and will shame players that are pricks. Screaming at anyone, especially someone who's playing for the first time, is inexcusable. If someone is going to get that irate about it, they should farm a dungeon without cutscenes. Or find something worthwhile to be enraged about.

Lex said:
If you don't like the way it is, find a group who's in line with what you think and run it with them.

Why can't I say the same for them?

Lex said:
Players who are after the cutscenes in those last two dungeons thankfully have the party finder, which has options for "no cutscene skipping". I suspect that's why the option is there.

And why isn't there an opposite option?

Lex

Administrator
Why can't I say the same for them?

As I've said, because there are at an absolute maximum when content is not new, 3 people who aren't speedrunning it to farm it. 90% of the time there's only one new person, and there is no universe in which everyone in that group is going to watch the cutscenes.

And why isn't there an opposite option?

Why isn't there a "must skip cutscenes" option? Because it's the norm. The dungeons are meant to be repeated for levelling, for various different quests and for daily roulettes. After a month or so, more than 50% of a group watching them is abnormal. That's just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom