The Lifestream - Free Company (An FFXIV Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
Christ, I thought by now everyone would be finding the extreme primals piss easy. Apparently not for some reason people still have no idea what they're doing!

And this is GARUDA not even Titan. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana

Get hyped for 2.5!

I would have posted this in the FFXIV thread but, honestly, anybody that cares about this game posts in this thread instead of the others. Enjoy! <3

Lex

Administrator
Triple Triad yo. Can't wait. Not sure if it's going to be anything like VIII's triple triad though - based on that, probably not. Also the bosses in the final Crystal Tower raid look neeeaaat.

Marcus don't despair with the extreme primals, knowing you you'll be a lucky bastard after all the hard Garuda stuff and get Titan Ex in one go or something. I've actually beat Garuda ex quite a few times from being in farming parties so look for groups in the PF rather than the DF. Ifrit and Levi Ex are a bit more forgiving than Titan even though they're supposed to be harder. Still trying to clear Thormarch Ex so I can do Ramuh and Shiva.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
So, end-game content... you guys made it sound like getting to 50 is the easy part, :monster:. Should I ask you guys to divulge details, or is it something I'll run into eventually myself (granted I don't rage/borequit beforehand)

oh and my dude is a paladin now.

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Getting to 50 is easy enough, it just takes a while depending on how much you play. Play your main scenario, do FATEs when they are nearby to you and occasionally queue for a dungeon.

Dungeons are gonna be more helpful than anything, more from a learning perspective. You're probably reasonably familiar with how Tanking works anyway, from other games, but it doesn't hurt to practice a bit. Once you get to end-game you'll find you'll be doing it a lot.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yeah, that's the thing I'm doing right now, I'm a bit overleveled for the main quest for having done all the quests on my way to where I am now. But not that much anymore. I don't find the main quest very compelling though, and/or not easy to follow, or something. I blame each quest being a paragraph of conversation followed by running to a dozen people, :monster:.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I've been doing the praetorium for months getting nowhere. Per Lex' advice, I have been spamming boss fights instead. There's usually someone new every time, and the fights take 5 minutes. In minutes I have 120 soldiery what would have taken days.

EDIT: But yay I'm lvl 83 now. Qarn me up!

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
^Praetorium is useless for farming soldiery. With a good team the fastest way other than finding new people to do dungeons with is to farm snowcloak which is 50 a pop. But even then people don't really bother with it tbh. I do enough of them running my roulettes during the week and I cba to farm it.

I clear about 800 soldiery a day. You're guaranteed about 500 from your daily roulettes and if you get lucky with new players (which I don't) you can hit almost 1000 just from the roulettes, so it becomes super easy to gear out your class in 100 gear by the end of a week.

Then farm Syrcus (which also gives soldiery) for sands and oils of time to upgrade the 100 gear to 110. It only took me about 5-7 days to do this.

The expert dungeons now drop level 90 gear and "vintage head/body/breeches/arms" etc that you can swap for the relic gear which is also level 90, I've now got a set of that gear sitting waiting for my WHM and WAR.

Syrcus Tower also drops level 100 gear.

The main problem with this stuff isn't the time investment - because by MMO standards it honestly doesn't take long at all - it's that people haven't completed their main story and sidequests to unlock the roulette. You need to do the Hildibrand stuff aswell because that unlocks Gilgamesh and Ultros which are required for the trials roulette, and the trials roulette is my favourite because the fights are all fun and like you said it takes like 5 minutes.

If you do this you'll definitely hit the weekly poetics cap aswell which allows you to buy the 120 gear. Carbontwine obtained from Final Coil upgrades this to 130 gear.

Weapons are another issue unfortunately. The relic weapon is always going to give you the best stats when fully upgraded (even better than the once a week coil drops) and it's not difficult but it is definitely the most time consuming thing I've done and I literally have weapons that are the same iLvls for my other classes already.

Steps are (after the long quest to actually get the relic weapon):

Zenith: Buy 3 Thavnarian thingies from revenants toll to upgrade the weapon at Gerolt's bit in north shroud

Atma: Farm atma in 12 areas from fates. Atma of the Scorpion drops in Southern Than etc. Drop rate was 2.5% in patch 2.3, is now 5%. This one really is just RNG and luck. I got two after one or two fates in certain areas, and in Central Thanalan I was literally doing every fate that popped for two whole days. Central Shroud took about 6 hours etc. It's tough.

Animus: 9 Books which cost 500 Soldiery (used to be Myth) each that need to be completed. One book can be done in one session of gaming aside from the fates. Each book has 10 enemies, 10 of which each need to be killed, so that's 100. Then you need 3 fates. The fates are often rare or on a 2-3 hour respawn timer. Then you need to complete 3 levequests, and finally 3 dungeons. You need to defeat the boss in each dungeon, and if you die and the party defeats the boss, this doesn't count so beware of this.

Novus: You are given a sphere scroll with 75 slots and you need to use alexandrite with a materia to upgrade it. The melds can fail, but if they fail you don't lose the alexandrite. You do lose the materia. The neat thing about this is that you can choose your own stats. Alexandrite is of course, ridiculously hard to come by. There's a daily quest in Mor Dhona that requires you to do the expert roulette (which you should be doing anyway) and gives you a mysterious map. Mysterious maps require you to find a location and dig, and digging nets you a battle. When you win the battle you get a chest, and the chest contains the alexandrite. Mysterious maps are also sold by auriana for 400 soldiery, so that's where my soldiery goes now because this is the stage I'm at. I usually get about 3 or 4 alexandrite a day. Also of concern is the materia, which costs a lot. You're going for specific materia, so for me it's savage might materia etc. The amount you need of each class varies depending on the stat. So if I want to max crit hit rate (I do), I need 11 of Savage Might 1, 2, 3, and 4. I, II and even III are affordable. Savage Might IV sells for something like 600,000 Gil minimum on the market board and the only other way to get level IV materia is to convert fully spirit bound weapons and armour that are level 60+ and hope you get lucky. Another way to do it is to just use up to level III materia and put some points into a tertiary attribute (for me that would be accuracy), so this is probably what I'm going to do.

Nexus: You need to reach 2000 "light" from defeating the trials such as primals. This seems to be the least evil (to me) of the bunch. Ifrit hard gives about 16 light for example, and some have bonuses. There's a tracker available online. I'm looking forward to this step.

The next stage is going to be in 2.5.

So yeah, 100% will not be doing all that for an alt class.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Oh thank god I don't have to do Prae anymore. Yes, it gives 200 soldiery if you have newbies, but every time that happens, the new guy is actually allowed to sit through the cutscenes, and he's a slow reader.

And I'm thinking "Gee must be nice, since I haven't been able to yet, everybody says 'skip plz!' if I do."

I am at least familiar with map quests though. I've been trying to find the right toadskin map so I can get moar rush grass for the market board. That's the only way to get it.

But yeah, now we can start teaming up for coils and stuff--and actually watch the cutscenes! :monster:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I've just blitzed through the main story up to the current - which requires a lot of dungeons/primals that have cutscenes - and not once did anybody ever complain about me watching cutscenes. I would always open with saying 'Sorry, watching cutscenes new here' or something like it. I found all players were cool with it, with most telling me to enjoy.

Seems like, on our server at least, if you tell people first they are happy to allow it. The bonus to their tomes is more than enough compensation.

BUT YES COIL PLS?!

Lex

Administrator
That's only really true for the newer content though, or the primals or dungeons since they have short cutscenes. The problem with cutscenes in Prae and Castrum is that by the time you've watched one a boss has been defeated, they're super long. Hell I finished the main story prior to 2.1 even being out and I still got dogs abuse for not skipping them when I didn't.

I've said this before though, I don't blame the players. It's really a catch 22.

Lex

Administrator
^You can indeed.

Also I can help with coil 1-5 so far, and even second coil 1 and 2. I would advise making sure you've got all your soldiery gear on before that though.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Not sure if you can watch all cutscenes in the Inn though. Or maybe I can't navigate them properly. Praetorium has quite a few during gameplay, but I think the Inn book just shows the intro cutscene and the last cutscene, none of the juicy stuff in between.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Thankfully, I didn't get any stick for Prae. I watched the cutscenes, completely unaware that people were skipping, and someone even wished me good luck. :monster:

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
I've finally done Garuda EX. Gais I'm sooo happy. Now all I have is Titan and the rest of the updates i've missed since I last played. But OMG SO HAPPY!!!!!!!

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Hey guys I have some questions, how much will it be to maintain an account in this game? My cousin tells me that its combined with PSN subscription + the game subscription? Please advise as I wanna join you in the game but I want to be sure if it's feasible for myself in the long run or won't be too pricey to maintain?

For in game, what character can wield a battle axe and be tanky at the same time?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
Hey guys I have some questions, how much will it be to maintain an account in this game? My cousin tells me that its combined with PSN subscription + the game subscription? Please advise as I wanna join you in the game but I want to be sure if it's feasible for myself in the long run or won't be too pricey to maintain?

For in game, what character can wield a battle axe and be tanky at the same time?
For the second question, Maruader/Warrior wields two-handers and are tanks.

For the first I couldn't tell you. I play on PC >.<

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
What the! Is everyone here on PS4 or on PC?! O.O

If PC, is it harder to maintain the account financially than the PS4 version?

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
It's cross-platform so we all play with each other regardless. Some of us are on PS3, PS4 or PC.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
So the whole clan can meet up regardless of platform? As in I can play on PC and meet up with you guys on those who play PS3/PS4?

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Hey Lex! I raise the same question I initially asked so I can check if it's purchasable! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom