The Lifestream - Free Company (An FFXIV Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
So would any of you believe me that I finally renewed my subscription nearly three months down the line? :monster:

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Copperbell Mines is hard. And longer. And I fudged up with that flan/blob thing (
By killing the bomb
) Not sure if I was kicked off by technical means or by people means, but... something happened. I'm really not sure if I like playing with other people via MMORPS. *sigh* Any helpful words of encouragement?

And I'm asking again: ~ I'm at the Copperbell Mines mission, so how far along in the game am I? What is the main objective I'm going for here? I guess, I repeat my question from a while ago, what's the storyline of the game?

Lex

Administrator
The main story is about uniting the forces of the continent to battle against the empire. You do this by alleviating the stress on the various districts to free up manpower. The very long quest lines lead up to big battles such as fighting the Primals, i.e. Ifrit, Titan, Garuda. This is a showcase of your adventurer's power to get the various districts to take you seriously and stand with you against the forces that are coming to decimate the land.

If you're at the Copperbell Mines, you're getting near Ifrit like I said before. You're very early on in the main quest line.

Splintered

unsavory tart
Copperbell Mines is hard. And longer. And I fudged up with that flan/blob thing (
By killing the bomb
) Not sure if I was kicked off by technical means or by people means, but... something happened. I'm really not sure if I like playing with other people via MMORPS. *sigh* Any helpful words of encouragement?

And I'm asking again: ~ I'm at the Copperbell Mines mission, so how far along in the game am I? What is the main objective I'm going for here? I guess, I repeat my question from a while ago, what's the storyline of the game?
We'll go together next time, just give me a time when you are on.

The issue is that when you are playing a dungeon for the first time, it's better if you tell them it's your first time. Otherwise people will run the dungeon and not bother with explanations. But that blob is generally what gets new people if no one explains it, and sometimes people have communication problems or don't look at the chat box (which people should be checking)

I've actually stopped playing for a bit (ironic since I've been complaining in this thread), partly because I've run into a wall for content. I've run Ultima and The Moogle over and over again for a week but have only beaten it once, duty finder groups are variable and even when it looks like a good one, someone will ragequit and leave after one or two wipes.

The second thing is that I've run Crystal Tower, it's easy and super fun, but it's 3 teams of 8 and chances are you are getting a couples douches in the fight, and I did some monstrously stupid things that ended up getting me yelled at. It was actually getting me stressed so I just decided to take a break for a bit. ... But I really want tank armor, it looks like Warrior of Light, but I already got my myth chest piece D:

I could go as a healer but I don't really enjoy healing (only look me 50 levels to understand that), and well, I suck. Tried healing but Garuda hard mode is a bitch, and if I can't heal Garuda there's no way I can heal Titan. I'm now trying things out with my black mage but sweet jesus those dps queues are terrible.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I would give someone one chance to change their shit after yelling at me in the fucking game, or I would quit on them altogether. Dumbasses kind of need a whole team to make this stuff work from what I've seen in videos.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I will say I am not the best player. Hells, I'll say I'm not a good player. I try to pull my weight though, and I try to do my best. That's all I can do. Multi-tasking is not a strong spot for me - in other words, reading chat while fighting a main battle. I just don't understand the reasoning people have for being dicks - in a game or otherwise.

Lex

Administrator
IIRC being a healer during that Garuda fight is like the worst task ever. If the healer goes down everyone is almost immediately fucked, those pillars get in the way of casting on teammates, and with the amount of large scale healing required MP very quickly becomes an issue.

I am never going to forget that Garuda battle as long as I live. The cutscene and music are excellent but I also had to repeat it over 9000 times because I kept getting landed with people who just rage quit.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
I really need to get back into this game, but I know I have access tot he PS4 beta in a month or so, so I don't really want to fork out £20 for 3 months, when I'll be playing it free for at least a week or 2. granted the subscription will more than likely carry over to PS4.

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
I got through Copperbell!!!

But I'd do it again with Splintered.

I'm usually on around 10 PM most nights lately (Eastern Time.)

I guess the next dungeon is going to be in Southern Thanalan?

I've been doing some venturing, but not too far.

I'm just at level 26 THM. (Around 11 or 12 for LNC and CNJ both.)

Trying to get moving on this storyline...

Splintered

unsavory tart
I got through Copperbell!!!

But I'd do it again with Splintered.
Congrats. Once you get the whole blob thing the thing down it's much easier.

in other words, reading chat while fighting a main battle
Yeah I have the same problem, there's been more than once I charged into a pull without reading dps or, more crucially, a healer asking wait. I've gotten more use to it though, once you run dungeons enough it'll become easier. I think.

I just don't understand the reasoning people have for being dicks - in a game or otherwise.
This. When not being a bad player myself, I've run with some bad players. DPS that refuse to hit the mark, tanks that can't keep aggro or won't tank adds. But I've never ragequit or insulted anyone. I try to run all of them as far as I can take them and if I can give advice. The only time I actually kind of fought with someone is when they were being assholes to other players.

I understand the tendency to be annoyed when running things for loot, especially if you can pick up on whether or not a party will make it within a few minutes of a fight, but seriously, don't be a dick about it D:

Trying to get moving on this storyline...
Once it hits Ifrit is when the plot gets interesting imo. Your at the level where you don't actually need to grind, just someone to point you the way, so we could clear it pretty quickly.
IIRC being a healer during that Garuda fight is like the worst task ever. If the healer goes down everyone is almost immediately fucked, those pillars get in the way of casting on teammates, and with the amount of large scale healing required MP very quickly becomes an issue.
Normal mode isn't too much of an issue unless the players don't know the patterns.

Hard mode man, it's either the most fun or the shitiest fight. It's one thing not to have the dps, if your dps doesn't kill the adds fast enough, there's no way to heal through the damage and you can pretty quickly figure out when a party doesn't have the requirements.

Healing with new tanks is harder, because if they don't position the mini garuda's fast enough, or if, much more likely the case, garuda stuns the off tank right as they come in, you're fucked.

And then Garuda's attacks become seriously devastating and are absolutely destroying the main tank, all the while, the adds are beating up your dps and off tank. It's really the only intensive healing party of the fight, but if your dps isn't fast enough, it happens too often, and then the tank runs out of cooldowns.

I want to try practicing off tanking it, but people get annoyed really quickly if you aren't able to grab the add fast enough. With good reason, near impossible to get through if you don't understand the positioning.

I also want to practice Titan but, man that fight is really hard to get through.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Amizon, Commander Shepard, Ellie, Rinoa Heartilly, Xena, Clara Oswald, Gamora, Lana Kane, Tifa Lockhart, Jodie Holmes, Chloe Price.
Arianna, if you ever need help, hit me up if I'm online. I'm Velaria Dragonsoul and have really got my teeth suck into this beauty.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
I've discovered fate grinding is the best grinding

Also, I just earned a unicorn

B3FXPbB.png

And after probably 5 more months of subscription I can earn this

Last edited:

Arianna

Holy, Personified
AKA
Katie; Seta.
Again, for those wondering, I'm Ariannayaq Morningwood. Nice name, I wish I could change it a bit. I'd configure it better. I didn't wish to stay with Arianna - too plain for this world, I think. Anyhow...

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
I'll add you the moment I get back on the game, Arianna. I took a short break from it, as I got to the point of playing it constantly. But I should be back on by today/tomorrow.

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
I'm kind of digging the arcanist. It doesn't happen until you get summon II, in which you wind up your little gold squirrel and he aggros EVERYBODY, no matter how big they are.

And he takes a pretty good chunk out of them. o_o Even holds his own for minutes at a time before I have to heal him. He took the brunt of a fate monster for everybody in the group.

Splintered

unsavory tart
ngl, I'm no good as an arcanist. It's a lot of multitasking that I'm not use to, positioning your pet and trying to keep up with all the dots.

When I first started running dungeons as my arcanist, my pet kept aggroing dudes, or knocking them back. But I actually have to grind mine to get eye 4 eye for my healer so I should get back on it.

That said, more than once I was in a dungeon without a tank and topaz saved our asses.

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
So for those whose subs are inactive, SE are bring on a free login weekend. There are a few required elements, however:

- You must have previously purchased and registered the game and your service account being set as inactive during the campaign period. If you're unsure of where you stand, check it out here.

- The event is actually scheduled from Saturday January 11 at 08:00 GMT until Monday January 13 at 08:00 GMT.

These are the conditions. This is what the actual message says.

The release of patch 2.1 introduced a wealth of new content such as the Crystal Tower 24-man raid, player versus player battles in the Wolves' Den, new extreme encounters with the primals, further developments in the main scenarion and much, much more! Since we're excited for even more player to experience everything that FFXIV has to offer we've decided to host a limited Free Login Weekend!

If you have friends that played FINAL FANTASY XIV version 1.0 or FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, please be sure to invite them to join you this weekend!
And that's what I'm doing now.

Ta da! :monster:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
My biggest apprehension with the 2.1 stuff is will it all require all the postgame grinding I did not have much interest in?

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
So they posted the PS4 collector's edition yesterday, bet it's bought up already :monster:

Not that it matters to me, I have no money for it and own half the digital content sans Fat Chocobo. I really want the physical stuff though like that OST and artbook ;_;

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
^ You automatically get the PS4 version free if you've already played the PS3 one. :monster:

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Well, I did upgrade by accident to the Collector's Edition some time back by paying the extra $20. This is probably pushing it, but would they send me the physical stuff for free if I asked for the PS4 version? :3

Ami

Playing All The Stuff!
AKA
Do you mean you got the Collector's Edition for PS3 and want the physical stuff for free on the PS4 edition? Either way, I don't think they'll give it for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom