The Love Triangle Debate thread of KNEEL BEFORE ZOD OR SUFFER HIS WRATH (ignore the opening posts at your peril) (Round 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homura Akemi

Just a lurker now ;3
AKA
Black★Rock Shooter, Hatsune Miku, Rin, Rin Okumura, Zack Fair.
So is Dismantled official? And is it outdated? (I think I read somewhere that Dismantled is outdated or something) :(
Because if Dismantled is Official then it really points to Clerith from what I read

*I gotta stop editing my comments :doh:*

Last edited:

Elisa Maza

Whomst
^ And I thought Dismantled was non-canon. =/ Say, which sources should we use in this debate? Maybe a separate thread/post/something would be good to exist, so we know which sources we can use.

Go on Tumblr. Everything seems to be " I hate Cloti because Tifa is a whore " .

"I laughed when Aerith died " things like that.

Maybe not here at Lifestream, about around other sites and the net, the LTD hate is just as horrible as ever. >:

Uh, OK. I really don't want to take anyone's place, ESPECIALLY a mod's/admn's, but wasn't there a strict rule that says this:

The Lifestream has an explicit rule against bringing discussions here from other boards. In other words, what happens at YouTube stays at YouTube. What happens on FinalFantasyForums.net stays on FinalFantasyForums.net. What happens at CxA stays at CxA. Period.
So, I'm sorry for your bad meetings, (I have them too), but it is my humble opinion that this drama should stay where it is and not be brought here.

I don't think there's any harm done this time, though, so everything's cool.

Sorry mods/admins, if I'm being rude and/or intrusive to your job. :<

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
So is Dismantled official? And is it outdated? (I think I read somewhere that Dismantled is outdated or something) :(
Because if Dismantled is Official then it really points to Clerith from what I read

*I gotta stop editing my comments :doh:*

It doesn't, actually. Yeah, there's some bits you can make Clerith-y, but there's also some really big moments where Cloud emphasizes how much Tifa means to him, too.

^ And I thought Dismantled was non-canon. =/ Say, which sources should we use in this debate? Maybe a separate thread/post/something would be good to exist, so we know which sources we can use.

Dismantled is not acanon, but it's not grossly relevant, either. It's from 97, IIRC. That makes it 8 years out of date from the next oldest sourcebook. To say nothing of the multiple sources AFTER the UO.

Uh, OK. I really don't want to take anyone's place, ESPECIALLY a mod's/admn's, but wasn't there a strict rule that says this:

So, I'm sorry for your bad meetings, (I have them too), but it is my humble opinion that this drama should stay where it is and not be brought here.

Yes, that's the case. I thought I had mentioned that in my reply, but I must have deleted it when making changes to that section. Curse my nonlinear response methodology. In any case, I've no beef with it, but for your own sake, don't bring it up in this particular thread.

I don't think there's any harm done this time, though, so everything's cool.

Unless someone feels like making an example of her, which I'm not inclined to do, since I'm still ideologically opposed to that particular rule.

Sorry mods/admins, if I'm being rude and/or intrusive to your job. :<

I'll let you off with a warning, but remember, being rude and intrusive is staff's job.
Wait...

What? I'm confused. Is it official or not?

It's official. It's also extremely old.

Last edited:

Tina Armstrong

Rockstar
AKA
Fackbito, RedGloves, Eileen Galvin, Saria, Lady Croft
It doesn't, actually. Yeah, there's some bits you can make Clerith-y, but there's also some really big moments where Cloud emphasizes how much Tifa means to him, too.
Show me.

It's official. It's also extremely old.
Good. Then I can bring out my Clerith-fangirl inside of me.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu

Well, all the really LTD-y parts are IIRC, stuck in the monologues, and there's one that's Cloud right before the final battle, and he lists off a whole bunch of shit with 'And that's what Tifa taught me.'
You'll forgive me for not providing immediate. I'm going off memory as what I do have of the book is squirreled away on my home computer and my recollection of facts is more concerned with the more recent evidence.

Good. Then I can bring out my Clerith-fangirl.

Have you been keeping one in the basement or something?

Keep in mind, though, that Dismantled's information only remains relevant if it's not contradicted by the newer sources.

Tina Armstrong

Rockstar
AKA
Well, all the really LTD-y parts are IIRC, stuck in the monologues, and there's one that's Cloud right before the final battle, and he lists off a whole bunch of shit with 'And that's what Tifa taught me.'
You'll forgive me for not providing immediate. I'm going off memory as what I do have of the book is squirreled away on my home computer and my recollection of facts is more concerned with the more recent evidence.
Well, thank you anyway. :)

Have you been keeping one in the basement or something?
Yeah, I just gave her something to eat.

-goes to edit the sentence- GAWD I CAN'T MAKE IT SOUND RIGHT

Keep in mind, though, that Dismantled's information only remains relevant if it's not contradicted by the newer sources.

Yeah, I wasn't really serious about it.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
Doesn't Dismantled also have some AerisxTifa going on? Last I remember there were sentiments expressed that were similar to whatever's down for Cloud. Am I making shit up? Someone back me up.

or is that memorial?

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
There's an entry by Tifa in Dismantled that talks about how she'll never forgive Hojo for experimenting on Aerith, is that what you mean?

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
Question- where's that first one from, specifically? Is that also Dismantled? Please cite your sources.

Yeah it's from Dismantled Ceci/ Ryu.

Our argument is not can't. It's does not. Well, nothing serious, anyways. It's one thing to go from 'Wow, she's hot' to 'Man, I definitely want to settle down and have kids with her' to 'PADME, NOOOOOOOOOOOO' levels of loving someone after death. (Incidentally, I subscribe to the hypothesis that Vader accidentally and unwittingly killed his own wife in his grief over being told she was dead. THAT'S a tragic hero's downfall, right thar.)

Don't know, never seen Star Wars. So can't really say.

See, this is why I prefer to hate on specific people. It prevents uneccessary fallout.

You mean Aeris and Tifa ?

Why assume he tosses it out? Waterworld, Natch.

Whut ?

Very few people here are against the idea of most pairings. Just the 'reality' of them in the narrative.

You mean that supporting Clerith as a fanon is okay, but you must see Cloti as the canon ?

Indeed, even that which is official can be further interpreted. We're just getting to the facts of the matter.

Whut ?

See my snark above.
Seriously, though, true neutrality isn't about not arriving at a conclusion. Neutrality is about not beginning with a conclusion in mind and allowing oneself to naturally arrive at one through an examination of the details.

Whut ? Can somebody translate Ryu's sentences into basic english ? XD

Plus, having an affection for Aerith isn't special. THE ENEMY had an affection for Aerith. Cid took a shine to her.

WHUT ?! Say when Sephiroth, Rufus, or Hojo on a 'affection ' to her ! I guess Sephiroth x Aeris is canon after all ?

No, sorry, forum rules prohibit this.
You must mud wrestle first.

NO !

/ feels creept out.

Zaaaa-ck... Tiff... heeeelp ><

daflock's back?

Who ?

Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory explains quite a lot of that.

Whut ?

/ not sure if what to debate with you anymore >>';

Again, Cloud did the excluding. Tifa actually invited him in the one time we see that he tried and she had say, even though she was completely wrapped up in her quest to find her dead mom's spirit over Mt Nibel.

Prove this ! Because I don't remember this happening ! I remember Tifa crying and being really upset around her mates, and Cloud shyly wanting to come inside, but he was worried that Tifa's friends where going to exclude him again. No, Cloud didn't do the excluding.

Not exactly 'hid away.' 'Beat snotless' perhaps.

Omg. He did hide away. When Tifa's mother died, he wanted to come inside but he was worried that he would be rejected again. He only started getting into fights when he felt weak and hard on himself after he failed to save Tifa from Mt Nibel.

MB DOES NOT disagree with the idea you can love two people romantically. MB was agreeing with the idea.

I know that.

While I don't think being a Cloti is directly related to your happiness, I repeat that I feel you need to seek professional assistance for your depression and ESPECIALLY hallucinations

I've tired countless times Cecil. But they all say that I'm unhelpable.

That's what depression does. It makes you fixate on the negative. You don't see the positive escape.
Look. Cloud was pretty much clinically depressed too. He tried to do it all on his own, too. That wound up backfiring. He needed help, and help from several people, to work through it. Go get help. It's for the best. Not just proffessional help, but from your friends and family to. Get and use your support network.

Again, I've tired to get help. But they all see me as unhelpable.

Because there's really nothing concrete about it. He never says anything of the sort. It all comes from Aerith's interest or Cait Sith's nonsense. Cloud is, generally, nonplussed. He spends the majority of the first day they know each other worrying about and wanting to get back to Tifa.

You mean the Dismantled quotes ? Well he does say it, in the Dismantled book, which has different quotes from the Original game.

While that's fine for your own enjoyment, in a debate regarding narrative and continuity, it's quite ill advised.

Whut ? Translate into basic english please.

But it lacks the glorious contributions of Talent, Cousins, and other censorship that definitely didn't work that the English language version provided.

^ See above.

Here is your forum regulation dangerously small mud wrestling uniform bikini.

/ avoids this.

Very little has been translated. Mostly because IIRC, no one's bothered to scan the whole thing- pointed glare at someone here who owns it.

You mean Que ?
Doesn't Dismantled also have some AerisxTifa going on? Last I remember there were sentiments expressed that were similar to whatever's down for Cloud. Am I making shit up? Someone back me up.

or is that memorial?

NICE ! I want a copy of Dismantled now. :awesome:

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
Plus, having an affection for Aerith isn't special. THE ENEMY had an affection for Aerith. Cid took a shine to her.

WHUT ?! Say when Sephiroth, Rufus, or Hojo on a 'affection ' to her ! I guess Sephiroth x Aeris is canon after all ?

Tseng was the enemy, and he had a thing for Aerith.

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
Tseng was the enemy, and he had a thing for Aerith.

Yeah but that's just Tseng. Ryu said that the enemy had a affection for her, and I assumed that, that meant Rufus, Sephiroth and Hojo. Tseng is just one person. Rude was the enemy and he had a affection for Tifa. So yeah xD

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
Go on Tumblr. Everything seems to be " I hate Cloti because Tifa is a whore " .

"I laughed when Aerith died " things like that.

Maybe not here at Lifestream, about around other sites and the net, the LTD hate is just as horrible as ever. >:

Irrelevant, except the bolded part which is the point.

Well it seemed like that she excluded Cloud from her group, and then all of a sudden she's interested in spiky when he mentions Solider ??

Though she does say that she thought that he was cute, and Cloud was shy and did hide away from everybody. >:

Except she didn't. It was Cloud who excluded himself. Point is, HE NEVER ASKED. I seriously am not liking all these forceful pinning faults at Tifa when it was Cloud's fault he had such unpleasant childhood.

And why would she not be interested in someone who wants to be her "knight in shining armour"? Isn't that every little girl's dream?

Then how come I have strong feelings for two guys at the moment ? Both of them are really kind and sweet. Giggles :3 I'm not dating them both at the moment, but you know.... plus I'm too scared to say how I feel, to any of them . >:

HOOOOOOOOOOO MAN!!! I DID THE BALLET DANCE!!! I also happen to have an LTD with my left and right hands. :awesome:

I do believe that FF VII can be interpreted differently, because Cleriths see Cloud, Aeris, and Tifa in a different light. Same with the Clotis.

Yes, it can be interpreted in many ways but the question is: Which of these interpretations are fact? Which of these fits canonically with the story? There is no room for ALL of these interpretations when the subject is about CANON.

I don't know but in my heart, I want to be a Cloti again. Because when I was a Cloti. I was happy. I wasn't depressed, I didn't have any problems with hallucinations. Okay, life wasn't the greatest back then. But I was... happy.

But since I've been depressed, I don't see Cloti anymore.

Not only am I not seeing any sense here, I also find this irrelevant. I'll just leave this as is.

I also feel like AC has destoryed my vision for a Cloti future. Cloud is miserable, Tifa tells him to GTFO and drink in his room. Cloud takes off and doesn't call Tifa anymore. It's not exactly .... romantic xD

I'm sorry but... I just don't get it. AC/C doesn't give you vision for a Cloti future yet Aerith being dead does?

Second, AC/C is not about romance. It's about Cloud overcoming his inner demons and it starts with an already depressed Cloud so of course we won't see him portrayed as a happy man until we get by the end of the movie where he has finally found absolution from his guilt.

And I am not even commenting about your other statements. Just read/reread and comprehend Case of Tifa.

I would like to see your reasons why. (: You don't have too, but yeah. Curious.

Because the game leaves it as it is. Sure, you can argue that there are underlying romantic tones in their conversations but most of those moments are optional. Not only that, they are also indefinite and doesn't say much on Cloud's feelings. Aerith's is another case since it makes it clear in the game that she is romantically interested in Cloud.

I don't know, You'll need to ask somebody who's a bit more future FF VII knowledgeable. xD I just like the OG, and pretend the rest doesn't exist. :awesome:

You can pretend they don't exist, that still doesn't change the fact that they do and that they are part of the compilation. If you won't acknowledge them in a debate, then your loss.

Why ? The Japanese version of Salior Moon is awesome ! ):

No, thanks. I don't need to watch said anime to understand the concept of loving more than one person.

Also, quoting:

Our argument is not can't. It's does not.

Not that I fully agree with the word "NOT" there, though. :awesome:

Very few people here are against the idea of most pairings. Just the 'reality' of them in the narrative.

I see and I concur.

Including the context of the complete form of that quote, in which Cloud has an introspective about how his own eyes are tainted, etc. etc. etc.

Yes, I do remember something like that and also a bit about TifaXAerithXHojo something. Something about Tifa wanting to kill the guy... or maybe I was imagining thigns... I dunno. It has been so long since I've read parts of the Dismantled and I have not even see a fully translated scan of the entire book after many years of searching. With new materials surfacing, I finally gave up looking. Besides, doesn't new information overrule the old?

No, sorry, forum rules prohibit this.
You must mud wrestle first.

Oh well... there goes my lifelong dream of finally getting laid. :(

Very little has been translated. Mostly because IIRC, no one's bothered to scan the whole thing- pointed glare at someone here who owns it.

NO WONDER I HAVEN'T--- AWGAWDS!!! My lost time, give it back! D:

There's an entry by Tifa in Dismantled that talks about how she'll never forgive Hojo for experimenting on Aerith, is that what you mean?

Oh good! So I was not imagining things. xD

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
Except she didn't. It was Cloud who excluded himself. Point is, HE NEVER ASKED. I seriously am not liking all these forceful pinning faults at Tifa when it was Cloud's fault he had such unpleasant childhood.

And why would she not be interested in someone who wants to be her "knight in shining armour"? Isn't that every little girl's dream?

No Cloud didn't exclude himself from the group. He was shy, and he WANTED To be apart of the group, but they would never let him in. Uhm, ooookay, so it's Cloud fault that he's shy ? It's Cloud's fault that he wanted to be apart of Tifa's group but they never let him in ?

Riiight.

Tifa "But we were children, back then." (He turns away slowly.) "...I know. I'm the one that was stupid." "I really wanted to play with everyone, but I was never allowed into the group." (He turns to face Tifa dead-on.) "Then later... I began to think I was different..."

It's fact that Tifa SHOWED NO INTEREST in Cloud, until he mentioned that he wanted to become a Solider.

Yes, it can be interpreted in many ways but the question is: Which of these interpretations are fact? Which of these fits canonically with the story? There is no room for ALL of these interpretations when the subject is about CANON.

Yes. It's about whether Cloud loved Tifa or Aerith. But I'm saying that it's possible that he could of had feelings for Both. It's not impossible.

I'm sorry but... I just don't get it. AC/C doesn't give you vision for a Cloti future yet Aerith being dead does?

You can still love somebody when they're gone you know. Plus AC Cloud and AC Tifa don't really get along that well. Cloud spends most of the time away, he refuses to call Tifa, and he calls Aerith's church " His Place ".

Second, AC/C is not about romance. It's about Cloud overcoming his inner demons and it starts with an already depressed Cloud so of course we won't see him portrayed as a happy man until we get by the end of the movie where he has finally found absolution from his guilt.

Yeah but if he loved Tifa don't you think that he would share everything that's happening to him ? No, instead he runs towards Aerith.

Because the game leaves it as it is. Sure, you can argue that there are underlying romantic tones in their conversations but most of those moments are optional. Not only that, they are also indefinite and doesn't say much on Cloud's feelings. Aerith's is another case since it makes it clear in the game that she is romantically interested in Cloud.

What ? Cloud is expressing how lovely and beautiful Aerith is. If it was optional, then it wouldn't be in Dismantled. Dismantled makes it canon.

You can pretend they don't exist, that still doesn't change the fact that they do and that they are part of the compilation. If you won't acknowledge them in a debate, then your loss.

What I'm saying is that the original plotline and storyline has been changed from the OG.

No, thanks. I don't need to watch said anime to understand the concept of loving more than one person.

Hmph. Fine. Your loss.

About the Highwind high affection being canon. No. It's not.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y5BQ024xgCA/S6R6A23rz7I/AAAAAAAAAC4/jg2Agb4GdIU/s1600/hw2.jpg

What it says there. Translated by Que.

"Deviation
2 versions of the conversation before the final battle
Prior to the final battle, the contents of the conversation between Cloud and Tifa can change depending on the degree of Tifa's affection. If the degree of affection is high, the contents of the two's conversation will involve deep subject matter and strong feelings for each other. As well, the sight of the two seen by their companions the next morning will lead to an embarrassing scene for Tifa, and she blushes greatly."

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Actually that was done by Tres not me, but thanks ^_^;

Now I guess I have to contribute so I don't get yelled at so uh...

Is too!

okay that should do it

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
No Cloud didn't exclude himself from the group. He was shy, and he WANTED To be apart of the group, but they would never let him in. Uhm, ooookay, so it's Cloud fault that he's shy ? It's Cloud's fault that he wanted to be apart of Tifa's group but they never let him in ?

Riiight.

The fact that he didn't make any noticeable effort to be let into the group is, in a way, excluding himself. He was so awkward the other kids must think he's weird. It's not his fault he's shy but it is partly his fault for being excluded.

Sure you can argue Tifa has a say in her small group and she could have invited Cloud, BUT, HOW THE HELL WOULD SHE KNOW HE WANT TO BE IN THE GROUP WHEN HE DOESN'T MAKE IT OBVIOUS?!

It's fact that Tifa SHOWED NO INTEREST in Cloud, until he mentioned that he wanted to become a Solider.

Can't believe we're back in this puddle again. Show no interest =/= Did not notice. It was where she started showing interest in him in a romantic light, yes, but she had already noticed him before that. Fucking semantics.

Yes. It's about whether Cloud loved Tifa or Aerith. But I'm saying that it's possible that he could of had feelings for Both. It's not impossible.

Cue word: Possible, hence the debate.

You can still love somebody when they're gone you know.

I dunno, buddy, but when I see the words "having a future", I do not consider being with someone dead as one of it. Not arguing about love after death here, just the thing about "having a future with". ;D

Plus AC Cloud and AC Tifa don't really get along that well. Cloud spends most of the time away, he refuses to call Tifa, and he calls Aerith's church " His Place ".

No shit? :awesome:

Sure they had problems, but what couples don't? xDDD

But here's the thing, they're still together in the end. :awesome:

A few days/weeks over a couple of years is most of his time. Gotcha. Also: Case of Tifa, it helps. ^_^

He was deliberately cutting ties from his family and friends because he wants to protect them from himself.

Case of Tifa: Revised Translation. Nothing about "his place". I can't really read Japanese so I guess this is a matter of translation. Can't further support myself here.

Yeah but if he loved Tifa don't you think that he would share everything that's happening to him ? No, instead he runs towards Aerith.

He loves her and his family that's why he ran away from them. To protect them from the pain of losing him and carrying his burdens. I know, it's stupid. I don't actually agree with Cloud's actions but come on, Cloud's that way.
But of course. It is she who he needs forgiveness from, albeit he doesn't really need it, but he feels a need to be forgiven by her. That's why he went to her place for penance. Not out of lingering devotion.

Oh shit! Now it seems I am disagreeing with the idea of Clerith, but mind you, I am simply stating my understanding of the canon.

What ? Cloud is expressing how lovely and beautiful Aerith is. If it was optional, then it wouldn't be in Dismantled. Dismantled makes it canon.

When I said "Cloud's feelings", I meant "Cloud's romantic intent". The most we can get from that quote is that he is attracted to her. Does he love her then? Does he intent to be romantically involve with her? AMBIGUOUS.

What I'm saying is that the original plotline and storyline has been changed from the OG.
And I was saying is: As far as the LTD is concerned, these games are CONSISTENT.

Hmph. Fine. Your loss.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y5BQ024xgC.../s1600/hw2.jpg

"Deviation
Prior to the final battle, the contents of the conversation between Cloud and Tifa can change depending on the degree of Tifa's affection. If the degree of affection is high, the contents of the two's conversation will involve deep subject matter and strong feelings for each other. As well, the sight of the two seen by their companions the next morning will lead to an embarrassing scene for Tifa, and she blushes greatly."

Holy--- I don't even! Please read my previous post:

2) The low affection doesn't fit within the context of Cloud and Tifa communicating their feelings to each other and confirming said feelings to match (and IIRC, there are at least 8 official lines for this).

Also, according to pg. 39 of the FFVII Ultimania Omega, "Yuffie is unaware that Cloud and Tifa had just spent the night together. Woman's intuition is as perceptive as ever, no?", which tells us that Cloud's pleasant greeting toward Yuffie, leading to her being surprised by his behavior and asking him if he wasn't feeling well, upon her return to the Highwind was influenced by the night he'd spent with Tifa.

Nothing about the conversation in the LAHW with Cloud and Tifa would logically fit.

3) The Deviation page only tells us that: that there is a deviation of the scene. As far as the story is concerned, the HAHW is to be considered canon.

Furthermore, the LA is described as "apathetic", without any confirmation of feelings, yet we are given at least 8 lines from official sources that talks about Cloud and Tifa confirming of their feelings for each other/feelings of want/desire on the night under the highwind. That suggests the HA is to be considered to be canon as it is what's consistent with what the author intends with the story.

HA = Canon

Kobato

Pro Adventurer
The fact that he didn't make any noticeable effort to be let into the group is, in a way, excluding himself. He was so awkward the other kids must think he's weird. It's not his fault he's shy but it is partly his fault for being excluded.

No it's not. You would feel shy and unconfident too, if the other kids told you that he can't join their group. You think that he hasn't the balls to ask them to join, but he has, otherwise clearly he wouldn't know that they would exclude them. You can't blame somebody for having low self esteem after being rejected. He wasn't excluding himself, the boys in Tifa's group told him that he couldn't be apart of Tifa's friendship circle.

Tifa's Friends- No, you can't join us. You can't join our group.

Young Cloud- Uhm- Okaay but I really like Tifa...

And you STILL think that it's Cloud's fault that he got rejected ?

Sure you can argue Tifa has a say in her small group and she could have invited Cloud, BUT, HOW THE HELL WOULD SHE KNOW HE WANT TO BE IN THE GROUP WHEN HE DOESN'T MAKE IT OBVIOUS?!

Well maybe the fact that he went up to them and asked ? Please can I be apart of your group ?

And they said no ?

Can't believe we're back in this puddle again. Show no interest =/= Did not notice. It was where she started showing interest in him in a romantic light, yes, but she had already noticed him before that. Fucking semantics.

It's not romantic. Tifa was only interested in wanting to be saved one day.
Yeah Tifa says that he was cute, but that was way after the promise was made.

I dunno, buddy, but when I see the words "having a future", I do not consider being with someone dead as one of it. Not arguing about love after death here, just the thing about "having a future with". ;D

What ?

You can continue loving someone, even after they are dead. Think about it. Would you cease to love someone simply because they died? I would certainly hope not!

They where never together to begin with. You can say that maybe they might get together, but that doesn't make any sense if you get the low affection HA scene.

A few days/weeks over a couple of years is most of his time. Gotcha. Also: Case of Tifa, it helps. ^_^

I've read Case of Tifa. And I didn't really see anything Cloti about it. Unless there's a second Case of Tifa that only Clotis know about ? >>

IMO, I saw that Tifa loves Cloud like a Mother loves a son, like how Quistis loved Squall as a beloved sibling.

(During a conversation with Tifa) ... Cloud made a familiar face, like a child who knew a scolding was inevitable...

Cloud gazed at Tifa with the expression of a child whose worst secret had just been let out of the bag...

..He's like a child, Tifa thought. While it made her sad that Cloud could see another world she knew nothing about, the idea his world was expanding at all was a welcome one. Yes... Maybe this is kind of what a mother feels like. Once she saw Cloud off, Tifa was alone with the new emotions growing inside her and was happy.

He was deliberately cutting ties from his family and friends because he wants to protect them from himself.

No. He had Geostigma and he ran to Aerith. Hence going to her church. Did he run to Tifa when he got sick, no he didn't.

Case of Tifa: Revised Translation. Nothing about "his place". I can't really read Japanese so I guess this is a matter of translation. Can't further support myself here.

I find that sentence in CoT-Revised about "Cloud's place" to indicate that he may indeed have had his own place besides the Seventh Heaven. Tifa refers to "Cloud's place" as being outside of the Seventh Heaven. And look at this in Cloud's profile on the new ACC website - NA version:

While various versions of his past were intertwined in his memories, Cloud managed to regain an understanding of who he truly is during his journey in Final Fantasy VII. Despite this, he now forsakes human contact and prefers living alone.

He loves her and his family that's why he ran away from them. To protect them from the pain of losing him and carrying his burdens. I know, it's stupid. I don't actually agree with Cloud's actions but come on, Cloud's that way.
But of course. It is she who he needs forgiveness from, albeit he doesn't really need it, but he feels a need to be forgiven by her. That's why he went to her place for penance. Not out of lingering devotion.

No. In your opinion, in the Cloti opinion. Cloud loves Tifa. But it's not official.

"Maybe she could be clear about her affections towards Cloud here. Then maybe they would be seen as family or lovers... During her lifetime in Midgar, she felt many souls of the ones that tried to confess their love. Those that still had those feelings or had those feelings left behind them could strongly retain their consciousness as a 'whole'

Aerith clearly states here that the reason why many souls don't return to the planet is because they love someone among the living and/or are loved in return by one of the living. Aerith retains her consciousness because of her love for Cloud (and the fact that she lives on in his subconsciousness); Cloud seeks out the flower fields, spends time in them, picks flowers from them, and takes beaucoup pictures of them because of his love for Aerith and the fact that he can see/hear/interact with her there.

Oh shit! Now it seems I am disagreeing with the idea of Clerith, but mind you, I am simply stating my understanding of the canon.

But you are disagreeing the idea of Clerith, because you believe that Cloti is canon. If you think that C/T is canon, then C/A can't be together.

When I said "Cloud's feelings", I meant "Cloud's romantic intent". The most we can get from that quote is that he is attracted to her. Does he love her then? Does he intent to be romantically involve with her? AMBIGUOUS.

Well Cloud says nothing about that to Tifa. So much for Tifa being Cloud's true love huh ?

Furthermore, the LA is described as "apathetic", without any confirmation of feelings, yet we are given at least 8 lines from official sources that talks about Cloud and Tifa confirming of their feelings for each other/feelings of want/desire on the night under the highwind. That suggests the HA is to be considered to be canon as it is what's consistent with what the author intends with the story.

HA = Canon

No. Did you ignore what I posted ? The Ultimania basically says that there is " 2 versions of the conversation before the final battle ".

Also if C/A is canon, then how come Cloud and Tifa are paired together with the rest of the FF official couples ?

IMG_1862.jpg

I see Rinoa/ Squall, Yuna/ Tidus and whoooooo Cloud/ Aeris ! D:

Where's Tifa ? She's next to Vivi, who she has no romantic interest in.

Also.

The FFVII Ultimania Omega specifically talks in detail about those two versions:

Before the Final Battle (divergence):
After stopping Hojo from going amuck, the conversation with Tifa before they rush into the Northern Crater diverges into two conditions, according to Tifa's affection rating with Cloud. When it gets low, the conversation in the scene that they spend the night will be apathetic and ends short.
Next morning in the cockpit, Tifa says “Were you listening?” and stamps on tiptoe. On the other hand, when degree gets higher, the conversation of the scene that they spend the night will have strong emotions. Next morning in the cockpit, Tifa will say “Were you watching?” and feels terribly shy. ~page198, FFVII Ultimania Omega

The FFVII Ultimania Omega explains what the two versions are in detail. It says that the Low Affection version is apathetic. There are only two versions, so the two versions referred to in the 20th Anniversary Ultimania are obviously the Low Affection and High Affection versions. The FFVII Ultimania Omega also says that the conversation will have strong emotions *when the degree gets higher*. It does not say in either passage that strong emotions are shared when the degree of affection gets low.

Therefore, there are two possible versions. The only time Cloud and Tifa show strong emotions is when the degree of affection gets higher.

SE has never said that one version is canon. Instead, it says in two Ultimania's that there are two versions of the HW scene, and that strong feelings are communicated in *one version only*. One Ultimania even says that one version is apathetic, which means that feelings of disinterest are shown.

It mentions the images (of a face or appearance) that even now live in Cloud's heart, with images of the bottom half of Aerith's face, the flower garden and the Forgotten Capital. ~Interview with Nomura published at FFVIIAC Reunion

Nomura: I believe, for those who formerly traveled with her as comrades and for the viewers, each carries their own feelings and loves for Aerith. In this story, Cloud also carries his own undying feeling for Aerith even to this very day. ~Nomura interview; Dengeki Playstation 2007

Nomura: The words “memetic legacy” are used a lot in the film…but in Advent Children, rather than focusing on memories we wanted to show that consciousness is what lives on. We took the ending of the game and expanded on that idea. Even if they’re dead, their consciousness is still with us. As for Cloud…he sees Aerith several times throughout the film. It’s not that he sees her because he feels her presence. He sees her because her consciousness…lives on inside him. ~Nomura; Distance Interview

Cloud is the woman's friend, lover (sweetheart/boyfriend). ~Case of Lifestream: White

Also the FF Ultimania has this.

1. Check
Contains information that you must pay attention to the certain scene.
2. Secret
Explains about the secret in the certain scene. It's like the additional part for the game and doesn't affect the main story.
3. Conversation
Contains part of conversation from the certain scene.
4. Hidden Fact
Contains further information that will be revealed later in the game.
5. Human Drama
Contains more info about the certain character.
6. Deviation / Divergence
Contains information about the different result if gamers take different actions.

All scenes that have side notes titled Check, Conversation, Hidden Fact, and Human Drama are indeed default or non-optional, while all scenes that has side notes titled 'Deviation / Divergence' are optional and based on players' choice, and we focus on this one.

FF III - has the side notes titled 'Human Drama - Sara's Love'
FF IV - already explained on Story Playback (the left side), has side notes titled 'Conversation' right after the screenshot.
FF VI - has the side notes titled 'Check'
FF VIII - already explained on story playback (the left side) and it's FMV, has the side notes titled 'Hidden Fact - The Flower Field that Rinoa is Waiting for'
FF IX - ZidanexGarnet one is from the ending, SteinerxBeatrix one has the side notes titled 'Conversation'
FF X - already explained on Story Playback (the left side), and it's FMV.

And none of them that has the side notes 'Deviation', unlike FFVII.
For comparison, the scenes where Tidus flirts with Lulu or Rikku in Guadosalam and the Tidus' snow motorbike partner (depending on Tidus' actions) in Macalonia have the side notes titled 'Deviation', yet SE didn't put them on this page. Why? Because it's clear that TidusxYuna is canon in the end and there's no need to put that two optional scenes from FFX on

It's different in FFVII where two optional scenes are put together on this page.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7981/20thautotheoneilove.jpg

So, it's clear that SE did that to make it neutral for both sides, and doesn't tell which couple from FFVII is canon.

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
How exactly is how shy Cloud was at 7 or how attentive to her neighbours Tifa was at 6 a good indicator of how much they love each other as adults?

Moreover, yeah Cloud was shy, yeah Tifa didn't really get it at the time. That's not the way things remained until he announced he wanted to be in SOLDIER. Tifa's mom died shortly after that scene, Tifa went up to the mountain to go join her, her friends deserted, Cloud followed her, bridge collapsed, Tifa went into a coma and forgot this ever happened when she woke up, Cloud was fine and was blamed by the villagers for bringing her up there and Tifa's "friends", fully knowing the truth of the matter followed suit.

How it is Cloud's fault that he had horrible childhood is beyond me. Tifa should know better, her friends should be better friends, not desert her or tell the truth when they did, Tifa's dad and the others shouldn't jump to conclusions, Cloud's the only one in that village that did the right thing.

Anyway after that Cloud started getting into fights and somewhere down the line Tifa, who didn't know any of this beyond that her daddy thinks Cloud is bad news, started to like Cloud. I dunno how that happened, I do know that flashback isn't exactly a good indicator of how Cloud behaved for the next 7 years, in which Tifa started to like him.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA

what.... what scene is this in the game again? I don't remember it.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Okay so then...

Well maybe the fact that he went up to them and asked ? Please can I be apart of your group ?

And they said no ?
Do you have any evidence that Cloud asked to join? You seem to have some evidence of this and I was under the impression he never asked. So... did this happen in the game or are you just assuming?

Also if C/A is canon, then how come Cloud and Tifa are paired together with the rest of the FF official couples ?
Okay, I must have missed it... and I'm sorry, but can you show me where it said that all the canon couples are shown on that disc please? I didn't realize that disc was that important.

IMO, I saw that Tifa loves Cloud like a Mother loves a son, like how Quistis loved Squall as a beloved sibling.
Okay so when they say that Denzel sees Cloud and Tifa as his parents... how does that work? Does that make Cloud and Denzel brothers?... so Cloud is both Denzel's brother and father?

How it is Cloud's fault that he had horrible childhood is beyond me. Tifa should know better, her friends should be better friends, not desert her or tell the truth when they did, Tifa's dad and the others shouldn't jump to conclusions, Cloud's the only one in that village that did the right thing.
But you said she didn't really know so... maybe she just heard all the rumors and believed it? How is that her fault? She should have just gone around asking everyone questions as to what "really" happened that day instead of just believing everyone?

EDIT
also:

Dismantled is not acanon, but it's not grossly relevant, either. It's from 97, IIRC. That makes it 8 years out of date from the next oldest sourcebook. To say nothing of the multiple sources AFTER the UO.

FFVII is from 97, so that's many years out of date as well. Should we only use stuff after that as well? :monster:

Last edited:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Plus AC Cloud and AC Tifa don't really get along that well. Cloud spends most of the time away, he refuses to call Tifa, and he calls Aerith's church " His Place ".

The reason he left Tifa and the family was because he was afraid of losing the happiness he had formed with them when he got Geostigma. As for him and Tifa not getting along in AC, you are mistaken.

Quotez Tiem:

Now running a delivery business while helping out Tifa with the newly opened "Seventh Heaven" bar, Cloud, Tifa, Marlene and Denzel lived together like a family. However, when Cloud contracts Geostigma he disappears. Behind these actions lies feelings of guilt towards his past failure to protect people who were important to him, but through his battle with Kadaj's gang, the legacy of Jenova, he regains the courage to face reality.

Quote: text near picture of Seventh Heaven, Cloud and Tifa
The more he realizes how happy he is living with Tifa and the children, the more the fear of losing that and regrets toward the past trouble Cloud...

Quote: text near image of Cloud and Tifa, in Edge
With the support of former allies and Tifa, an important woman to him and now also part of his family, Cloud regains the courage to move forward.

^Notice here it says Tifa - and former allies. I wonder why it is they separate Tifa from everyone else, including Aerith?

Apart from being Cloud's childhood friend,
she is also the woman who understands him all too well and devotedly supports the mentally-weak side of him. Although she seems spirited and cheerful, she actually has a family-oriented and modest personality, often paying attention to her surroundings.

Quote: text near images of Tifa in the church with Marlene and smiling at her
I want to see Cloud -- Marlene's honest words, which reflected what Tifa felt in her own heart, caused her to smile. The present Tifa isn't just Cloud's childhood friend, but also the mother of the 'family' they were forming in Edge.

Cloud and Tifa

Cloud and Tifa are childhood friends, both born in Nibelheim. When Cloud leaves the village, he calls Tifa out to the water tower and promises that he will become a SOLDIER. At the same time, he is also made by Tifa to promise that he will come to rescue her if she is ever in trouble.

Following this, the pair experience many hardships, such as the Nibelheim incident which also appears in CC, and the Jenova War in FFVII, and through these the distance between them shortens. And in AC they live together, with Barret's daughter Marlene and a boy named Denzel. Though there was also a period later where Cloud lived away from them after having contracted Geostigma, they finally reach a commune with each over and return to living together once again. In DC, they rush together to Vincent's aid, in his battle against Deep Ground SOLDIER.

Reunion Files:
http://www.ffrepublic.com/imageuploader/43-jvwyidvonx.jpg

http://www.ffrepublic.com/imageuploader/42-vhhwmkllho.jpg

http://www.ffrepublic.com/imageuploader/41-woearswlvt.jpg

http://www.ffrepublic.com/pics/10-qtsaopypyn.jpg

http://www.ffrepublic.com/pics/10-sqjhfiuiae.jpg

He seeks Aerith's forgiveness, he isn't running to her to tell her his feelings, or his life story. Tifa is the only woman that understands Cloud, this has already been stated officially . Tifa doesn't know everything about Cloud, and can't be expected to. In fact it's rather difficult to understand every little thing about someone even if they ARE your partner. Cloud ran away because he was scared, feeling unworthy, and wanted forgiveness. Not because he didn't love Tifa. Besides he tells Tifa everything will be okay as long as she is by his side and that they will start a new life together. That's not something you tell just a good friend.

but that doesn't make any sense if you get the low affection HA scene.

But that scene is canon according to the Ultimania. It says that Cloud and Tifa realize the thoughts and feelings each other have for one another MANY times, including in the time line during the Highwind scene. They didn't realize their feelings in the low version, so that version would make no sense while reading the Ultimanias.

Then she's really creepin' on her son. :/ There is no doubt that Tifa loves Cloud. She shows her jealous side, her caring side, and even asks: "Do you love me?". Just because she has motherly feelings, doesn't MAKE her a mother. ffs. So tired of that argument. >w>
And are we REALLY bringing up how two characters standing together makes it love? *stares at disc* Wow, I never knew Rikku/Paine was canon!

Tina Armstrong

Rockstar
AKA
And are we REALLY bringing up how two characters standing together makes it love?

But since all the other pairings are next to eachother, it kind of hints towards Cloud and Aerith being one of the FF-couples. But I don't think it's worth debating any further.

Master_Bates said:

These colors makes me happy. Keep going. :awesome:

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
But you said she didn't really know so... maybe she just heard all the rumors and believed it? How is that her fault? She should have just gone around asking everyone questions as to what "really" happened that day instead of just believing everyone?

That's just it. She didn't know it happened AT ALL. Tifa in the Lifestream wasn't all like "Oh so it wasn't your fault." This was all new to her. Tifa's dad wasn't so much a jerk that he told Tifa that Cloud put her in a coma, she was just told that he was bad news, and Cloud after that acted the part.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Yeah it's from Dismantled Ceci/ Ryu.

Do you have a picture of the page? I vaguely recall the line, but I don't recall it being Cloud saying it.

Don't know, never seen Star Wars. So can't really say.

Don't need to- actually, no, you do NEED to, but it's not required to understand my point, which is that thinking someone's hot is different from thinking they'd make a good romantic partner, and yet another thing entirely to persist in romantically loving a dead person to the exclusion of all others.

You mean Aeris and Tifa ?

I mean real people. Who will at this moment remain nameless.

REALLY bad Kevin Coster flick. Probably not worth watching just to get the reference.

You mean that supporting Clerith as a fanon is okay, but you must see Cloti as the canon ?

Something of that stripe, yes. The narrative must be seen as the narrative.

Facts. We see this whole shebang as getting to the facts.

Whut ? Can somebody translate Ryu's sentences into basic english ? XD

That IS basic english. Being Neutral doesn't mean you have to refuse to come to a conclusion or sit in the middle. It means allowing the evidence to lead you to a conclusion without trying to force it.

Tseng. Reno. Rude. The Player Turk- whichever one it is- all basically fudge their mission parameters because they like Aerith.
Incidentally, you ignore the point that even Cid took a shine to her. Liking Aerith is par for the course.

NO !
/ feels creept out.

Zaaaa-ck... Tiff... heeeelp ><

Creeped out.
And rules about mudwrestling are rules about mudwrestling.

Someone from Gamefaqs. Arguments boiled down to 'There's porn of Tifa, ergo she's a slut.' And those were her best ones.

Whut ?

/ not sure if what to debate with you anymore >>';

The GIFT, which is linked in the text of the reply, says that you take someone, give them a soapbox and remove their fear of reprisal, and you end up with people spouting utter tripe all the time.

Prove this ! Because I don't remember this happening ! I remember Tifa crying and being really upset around her mates, and Cloud shyly wanting to come inside, but he was worried that Tifa's friends where going to exclude him again. No, Cloud didn't do the excluding.

Tifa's friend turns to her and asks if she wants to let Cloud in. Next we see, Cloud is with the group. QED.
As for Cloud did the excluding, HE was the one picking fights.

Omg. He did hide away. When Tifa's mother died, he wanted to come inside but he was worried that he would be rejected again.

Rejected... AGAIN? Where in the text does it indicate Cloud had even tried to get into the group previously?

He only started getting into fights when he felt weak and hard on himself after he failed to save Tifa from Mt Nibel.

Which doesn't mean he was willfully excluded from the group beforehand. It ALSO means that for the majority of his time, HE was the instigator. Remember, Tifa was 7 when her mom died.

I've tired countless times Cecil. But they all say that I'm unhelpable.

You have SHIT proffesionals, then.

Again, I've tired to get help. But they all see me as unhelpable.

You have a SHIT support network, then.

You mean the Dismantled quotes ? Well he does say it, in the Dismantled book, which has different quotes from the Original game.

Which STILL don't say romance.

Whut ? Translate into basic english please.

Again, it IS basic english. We're in a debate. You don't ignore evidence in a debate just because you're not fond of it.

^ See above.

'Lita' should play the princess because she has the most 'talent' (Mako/Biggest Breasts)
Uranus and Neptune are 'cousins' in the dub. This did a bad job of erasing their lesbianism.

/ avoids this.

Sorry, can't begin the mudwrestling match nude.

You mean Que ?

Yes.

Yeah but that's just Tseng. Ryu said that the enemy had a affection for her, and I assumed that, that meant Rufus, Sephiroth and Hojo. Tseng is just one person. Rude was the enemy and he had a affection for Tifa. So yeah xD

Tseng had an attraction towards Aerith. The turks, rather uniformly, had an affection for her.
But duly noted that you default 'affection' to romantic affection.
Why not feelings, as in the case of 'mutual feelings?'

Not that I fully agree with the word "NOT" there, though. :awesome:

That he does is a substantive case I and most others here are not making, save for concessions that basic attraction is more than possible.

I see and I concur.

In the words of Friday- Just the Facts, Ma'am.

Yes, I do remember something like that and also a bit about TifaXAerithXHojo something. Something about Tifa wanting to kill the guy... or maybe I was imagining thigns... I dunno. It has been so long since I've read parts of the Dismantled and I have not even see a fully translated scan of the entire book after many years of searching. With new materials surfacing, I finally gave up looking. Besides, doesn't new information overrule the old?

That's generally how it's understood, with some exceptions. Preponderance of the evidence is another method.

Oh well... there goes my lifelong dream of finally getting laid. :(

You'll get more chances. Incidentally, you'd have been wearing a Bikini too. The rules are very strict on that front.

NO WONDER I HAVEN'T--- AWGAWDS!!! My lost time, give it back! D:

Part of the problem was that back in the day, things you had translated were YOURS, GOLLUM GOLLUM and so most people only got secondhand scraps of translations with no prime source documentation. It's STILL a problem, honestly. Just one solved by large book dumps.

Oh good! So I was not imagining things. xD

Well, you are, but that just means the giant scorpions on your nose AREN'T REAL.

The one time we see Cloud try to get in, he gets in. Where's 'they never let him in,' exactly?

Tifa "But we were children, back then."
(He turns away slowly.) "...I know. I'm the one that was stupid. I really wanted to play with everyone, but I was never allowed into the group. (He turns to face Tifa dead-on.) Then later... I began to think I was different..."

And he also blames himself for being stupid. You know, admitting some culpability for why he wasn't 'allowed into the group.'
Also, please try and format your posts a bit better.

Err, yes. Because she'd done something to make himself stand out. Incidentally, you're trying to use 'didn't take notice of' and 'wasn't interested in' in very specific ways, instead of other equally valid ways that coincide with the idea of childhood friendship and then later becoming romantically interested in him.

Your claim. Get to supporting it.

You can still love somebody when they're gone you know. Plus AC Cloud and AC Tifa don't really get along that well. Cloud spends most of the time away, he refuses to call Tifa, and he calls Aerith's church " His Place ".

AC Cloud doesn't get along with ANYONE well. He's so bad he's closed himself off from everyone, EVEN TIFA. The point is HE'S GETTING OVER THAT SHIT.
And that phrase is the generic 'my location' usage of my place, not 'my personal place.' And yes, there's a distinction.

He keeps things from her because he does not wish to burden her with her problems. "They're my problems, I have to work them out." He only goes to Aerith because she can solve those problems by offering him forgiveness. Absolution. He wants to be free from guilt. She, as one he has wronged and the symbol of the others, can give him that.

What? No. He's expressing how amazing it is that she's still INNOCENT in MIDGAR, and commiserating that he lost his innocence a long time ago.
Full quotes. Context. they matters.

It's been added to. But as far as the LT goes, shit's been pretty consistent all through.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y5BQ024xgCA/S6R6A23rz7I/AAAAAAAAAC4/jg2Agb4GdIU/s1600/hw2.jpg

"Deviation

And the U20 lits the High Highwind as a notable scene of the game. 8 places, U20 included, list Cloud and Tifa exchanging mutual feelings under the highwind. Tifa's iconic line from the high highwind scene is referenced as a character quote. It happened. That there's a deviation notation means there's another scene you can get here.

Put another way- It's a deviation that you can bring Tidus back, or leave him dead in 10-2. By your logic, Tidus didn't come back because there's a deviation.
In another example, it is listed what happens if you bring Vincent to the Sister Ray. These events are still canon.

And the one time we see that he tries, and she's asked, he's in.

Plus, Cloud and Tifa have a future together. Period, end of, Creator comments and everything.

The Japanese uses- IIRC- ore no basho, which has more the meaning 'my location' than 'my personal space.' I have heard it used in Japanese shows when reporting current position.

The canon, as it stands, disagrees with the idea of the pining for the flower girl version of Clerith. Cloud's own words indicate he wants forgiveness from Aerith. Not romance. In either version.

Maybe he just wants to pick her pocket full of posies before giving her a ring around the rosie.

No it's not. You would feel shy and unconfident too, if the other kids told you that he can't join their group. You think that he hasn't the balls to ask them to join, but he has, otherwise clearly he wouldn't know that they would exclude them. You can't blame somebody for having low self esteem after being rejected. He wasn't excluding himself, the boys in Tifa's group told him that he couldn't be apart of Tifa's friendship circle.

And you STILL think that it's Cloud's fault that he got rejected ?

I think you're making things up.
Look, let's say that's exactly what happened. Let's say that, as per your reading, Tifa NEVER NOTICED CLOUD AT ALL... How the fuck is she responsible for what the three fuckers do to someone she never noticed?

And they said no ?

Canonically, the one time he asked, she said yes.

It's not romantic. Tifa was only interested in wanting to be saved one day.
Yeah Tifa says that he was cute, but that was way after the promise was made.

And she couldn't have been referring to what she thought of him back then?
And again, wanting to be rescued by a hero!= romantic?
WHAT CULTURE doesn't have that cliche? Hell, there's a romantic power ballad from the 80s called 'I need a Hero.'

What ?

You can continue loving someone, even after they are dead. Think about it. Would you cease to love someone simply because they died? I would certainly hope not!

But you can't have a future with them.
Also this line of argument requires a love to exist prior to death as a prerequisite. Get to supporting that.

They where never together to begin with. You can say that maybe they might get together, but that doesn't make any sense if you get the low affection HA scene.

And the LA scene makes no sense if you get the 'hours after Meteorfall' scene in CoT. Or the 'Dude, Tifa's Words aren't the only way' line was risque' interview. Or etc. etc. etc.
Look. Cloud and Tifa confirm feelings. period. End of. HA Highwind. It happened.

I've read Case of Tifa. And I didn't really see anything Cloti about it. Unless there's a second Case of Tifa that only Clotis know about ? >>

And now how she saw Cloud like the father of the two small children they're taking care of?

... Cloud made a familiar face, like a child who knew a scolding was inevitable

Cloud gazed at Tifa with the expression of a child whose worst secret had just been let out of the bag...
...He's like a child, Tifa thought. While it made her sad that Cloud could see another world she knew nothing about, the idea his world was expanding at all was a welcome one. Yes... Maybe this is kind of what a mother feels like. Once she saw Cloud off, Tifa was alone with the new emotions growing inside her and was happy

And then later he's the daddy. OHSHIT, A WOMAN HAS MATERNAL FEELINGS FOR HER LOVER. ALERT THE MEDIA.
Seriously, this was covered like 2 threads ago with Balth and OWD and everyone going 'Yeah, no, that shit's fairly normal'

No. He had Geostigma and he ran to Aerith. Hence going to her church. Did he run to Tifa when he got sick, no he didn't.

Because he was headed for a solution of last resort and did not wish to bother Tifa with taking care of his ass should it fail.

I find that sentence in CoT-Revised about "Cloud's place" to indicate that he may indeed have had his own place besides the Seventh Heaven. Tifa refers to "Cloud's place" as being outside of the Seventh Heaven.

Again, the phrase refers to a present location, not an enduring one.

And look at this in Cloud's profile on the new ACC website - NA version:

While various versions of his past were intertwined in his memories, Cloud managed to regain an understanding of who he truly is during his journey in Final Fantasy VII. Despite this, he now forsakes human contact and prefers living alone.

And then he returns to living with Tifa after Advent Children. Your point?

No. In your opinion, in the Cloti opinion. Cloud loves Tifa. But it's not official.

Um... U20 says you're wrong.

Maybe she could be clear about her affections towards Cloud here. Then maybe they would be seen as family or lovers... During her lifetime in Midgar, she felt many souls of the ones that tried to confess their love. Those that still had those feelings or had those feelings left behind them could strongly retain their consciousness as a 'whole'

Aerith clearly states here that the reason why many souls don't return to the planet is because they love someone among the living and/or are loved in return by one of the living. Aerith retains her consciousness because of her love for Cloud

This is from Maiden, before she is aware, in that story, of the truth of Cloud. Just for context.
Also for context, Aerith doesn't know if meeting Cloud again will make her vanish.
"But does that mean I'll disappear as soon as I meet Cloud? I wonder if that's what's happening or... Is there still something else I've still to do...?"

(and the fact that she lives on in his subconsciousness);

No. NO SHE FUCKING DOESN'T. Not unless she also lives on in the subconscious of Tifa, Yuffie, Barret, Red, Cid, Reeve and Vincent. She lives on in ALL their fucking hearts.

Cloud seeks out the flower fields, spends time in them, picks flowers from them, and takes beaucoup pictures of them because of his love for Aerith and the fact that he can see/hear/interact with her there.

Um. The vast majority of those pictures on his wall are not of flower fields. A number of them are of industrial areas.
And once again referencing CoT, remember how Cloud would tell stories of his travels to the kids? What helps stories? Pictures!

But you are disagreeing the idea of Clerith, because you believe that Cloti is canon. If you think that C/T is canon, then C/A can't be together.

That's disagreeing with the idea that Clerith is a realized pairing, not the idea of the pairing itself.

Well Cloud says nothing about that to Tifa. So much for Tifa being Cloud's true love huh ?

CoT. "I'll have you by my side, starting from now."
"I wanted someone to notice me." "Who?" "You, that's who."
"I have so many things I want to tell you. I just can't find the words."

NOTHING in that, and more, comes close to "Whoa, striking eyes!"

[/B]No. Did you ignore what I posted ? The Ultimania basically says that there is " 2 versions of the conversation before the final battle ".

Because there ARE two versions. Just like there are three versions of the Getting Yuffie sequence, the getting Vincent Sequence, two versions of the Stopping the train sequence, and multiple versions of the Sister Ray sequence.
But they ALL have a singular version that's actually the one that happened in continuity. For the Highwind, that's high affection.
It's a notable scene for a reason.

IMG_1862.jpg

I see Rinoa/ Squall, Yuna/ Tidus and whoooooo Cloud/ Aeris ! D:

Where's Tifa ? She's next to Vivi, who she has no romantic interest in.

Now take a look at Yuna. And also at Yuna. Apparently, Yuna and Tidus isn't canon, because Yuna and Tidus is.
Are we seriously using disc/ cover placement on a DRAGON QUEST game for this? How about how they're arranged in the ultimanias? Like in the u20 Character where they're always shown next to each other.

Also.

The FFVII Ultimania Omega specifically talks in detail about those two versions:

Before the Final Battle (divergence):
After stopping Hojo from going amuck, the conversation with Tifa before they rush into the Northern Crater diverges into two conditions, according to Tifa's affection rating with Cloud. When it gets low, the conversation in the scene that they spend the night will be apathetic and ends short.
Next morning in the cockpit, Tifa says &#8220;Were you listening?&#8221; and stamps on tiptoe. On the other hand, when degree gets higher, the conversation of the scene that they spend the night will have strong emotions. Next morning in the cockpit, Tifa will say &#8220;Were you watching?&#8221; and feels terribly shy. ~page198, FFVII Ultimania Omega

The FFVII Ultimania Omega explains what the two versions are in detail. It says that the Low Affection version is apathetic. There are only two versions, so the two versions referred to in the 20th Anniversary Ultimania are obviously the Low Affection and High Affection versions. The FFVII Ultimania Omega also says that the conversation will have strong emotions *when the degree gets higher*. It does not say in either passage that strong emotions are shared when the degree of affection gets low.

Therefore, there are two possible versions. The only time Cloud and Tifa show strong emotions is when the degree of affection gets higher.

SE has never said that one version is canon. Instead, it says in two Ultimania's that there are two versions of the HW scene, and that strong feelings are communicated in *one version only*. One Ultimania even says that one version is apathetic, which means that feelings of disinterest are shown.

No. It means the version is APATHETIC and SHOWS NO FEELINGS. Look. THE High version IS ONE OF THE FOUR IMPORTANT SCENES FOR FINAL FANTASY VII. It is the standard version. The low version is listed as the deviation.
High version HAPPENED.

It mentions the images (of a face or appearance) that even now live in Cloud's heart, with images of the bottom half of Aerith's face, the flower garden and the Forgotten Capital. ~Interview with Nomura published at FFVIIAC Reunion

Nomura: I believe, for those who formerly traveled with her as comrades and for the viewers, each carries their own feelings and loves for Aerith. In this story, Cloud also carries his own undying feeling for Aerith even to this very day. ~Nomura interview; Dengeki Playstation 2007

Umm, no. It doesn't mention a face or appearance. It mentions a feeling. In context, that feeling is guilt.

Nomura: The words &#8220;memetic legacy&#8221; are used a lot in the film&#8230;but in Advent Children, rather than focusing on memories we wanted to show that consciousness is what lives on. We took the ending of the game and expanded on that idea. Even if they&#8217;re dead, their consciousness is still with us. As for Cloud&#8230;he sees Aerith several times throughout the film. It&#8217;s not that he sees her because he feels her presence. He sees her because her consciousness&#8230;lives on inside him. ~Nomura; Distance Interview

[sigh] And inside everyone else. It's not a LITERAL statement, either. Because Aerith is inside the lifestream.

Cloud is the woman's friend, lover (sweetheart/boyfriend). ~Case of Lifestream: White

Okay, so sweetheart means lover now? Are we allowing it to mean lover/beloved? Think carefully before you answer.

Also the FF Ultimania has this.

1. Check
Contains information that you must pay attention to the certain scene.
2. Secret
Explains about the secret in the certain scene. It's like the additional part for the game and doesn't affect the main story.
3. Conversation
Contains part of conversation from the certain scene.
4. Hidden Fact
Contains further information that will be revealed later in the game.
5. Human Drama
Contains more info about the certain character.
6. Deviation / Divergence
Contains information about the different result if gamers take different actions.

All scenes that have side notes titled Check, Conversation, Hidden Fact, and Human Drama are indeed default or non-optional, while all scenes that has side notes titled 'Deviation / Divergence' are optional and based on players' choice, and we focus on this one.

FF III - has the side notes titled 'Human Drama - Sara's Love'
FF IV - already explained on Story Playback (the left side), has side notes titled 'Conversation' right after the screenshot.
FF VI - has the side notes titled 'Check'
FF VIII - already explained on story playback (the left side) and it's FMV, has the side notes titled 'Hidden Fact - The Flower Field that Rinoa is Waiting for'
FF IX - ZidanexGarnet one is from the ending, SteinerxBeatrix one has the side notes titled 'Conversation'
FF X - already explained on Story Playback (the left side), and it's FMV.

And none of them that has the side notes 'Deviation', unlike FFVII.
For comparison, the scenes where Tidus flirts with Lulu or Rikku in Guadosalam and the Tidus' snow motorbike partner (depending on Tidus' actions) in Macalonia have the side notes titled 'Deviation', yet SE didn't put them on this page. Why? Because it's clear that TidusxYuna is canon in the end and there's no need to put that two optional scenes from FFX on
It's different in FFVII where two optional scenes are put together on this page.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7981/20thautotheoneilove.jpg

So, it's clear that SE did that to make it neutral for both sides, and doesn't tell which couple from FFVII is canon.

Hi. This is obviously CP from somewhere else. I hate when people do this. Especially as this is a giant load of unsupported claims. Where, exactly, is it specified that being listed as a deviation means none of them can be the official version?

Okay so then...

Do you have any evidence that Cloud asked to join? You seem to have some evidence of this and I was under the impression he never asked. So... did this happen in the game or are you just assuming?

She's making it up.

Okay, I must have missed it... and I'm sorry, but can you show me where it said that all the canon couples are shown on that disc please? I didn't realize that disc was that important.

They DEFINITELY aren't, as a glance leftward will reveal. Or a glance at the box art will.

Okay so when they say that Denzel sees Cloud and Tifa as his parents... how does that work? Does that make Cloud and Denzel brothers?... so Cloud is both Denzel's brother and father?

:: Plays deliverance banjo ::

Assuming they told her anything.

EDIT
also:

FFVII is from 97, so that's many years out of date as well. Should we only use stuff after that as well? :monster:

Where there's a contradiction, yes, actually. Just like with SW.

But since all the other pairings are next to eachother, it kind of hints towards Cloud and Aerith being one of the FF-couples. But I don't think it's worth debating any further.

They aren't. As much as Rikku/Paine would be hot, it's acanon. Plus, the box art shows a pattern with Tifa Closer and Aerith further away, PLUS PLUS it's a DRAGON QUEST PARTY GAME.
Honestly, shits should not be given about it, but if they are, Cloud and Tifa have a bunch more in game chatter than Cloud and Aerith. Aerith chats most with Angelo from DQ8.

Also, ONCE AGAIN, I ask you to simplify your formatting, Jazz.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom