The Love Triangle Debate thread of KNEEL BEFORE ZOD OR SUFFER HIS WRATH (ignore the opening posts at your peril) (Round 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octo

KULT OF KERMITU
AKA
Octo, Octorawk, Clarky Cat, Kissmammal2000
What does Askjeeves say? Or Webferret? Or Altavista? I WANT ANSWERS!

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
What does Askjeeves say? Or Webferret? Or Altavista? I WANT ANSWERS!

I don't know about the first two, but AltaVista says nothing regarding Cloud's relationship status, or even regarding Cloud, it just gave me links to articles on the internet about Cloud Strife. At least that's what happened when I searched "Cloud Strife".

Also, is anyone on this thread being serious? Do we even do that on this thread anymoar?:monster:

Gym Leader Devil

True Master of the Dark-type (suck it Piers)
AKA
So many names
We were being relatively serious a couple pages ago I think. So yeah, it happens every once in a while.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Okay, I finally had an opportunity to consult Cloud's 淡く幼い恋心が in the ultimania with Risa earlier when we were studying stuff. If anybody here still doesn't know, she's my Japanese classmate and groupmate.

She said it's young love, or little love or even "pure love" (innocent love) even if that's not very literal. I asked her about "fleeting," but she had a difficulty understand what I meant. I tried to rephrase it as "love that will disappear" and she understand it after reading her dictionary. She said the meaning is never like that. I told her the example where 淡 is used for snow, she said that the same is not used for koigokoro.

:monster:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Okay, I finally had an opportunity to consult Cloud's 淡く幼い恋心が in the ultimania with Risa earlier when we were studying stuff. If anybody here still doesn't know, she's my Japanese classmate and groupmate.

She said it's young love, or little love or even "pure love" (innocent love) even if that's not very literal. I asked her about "fleeting," but she had a difficulty understand what I meant. I tried to rephrase it as "love that will disappear" and she understand it after reading her dictionary. She said the meaning is never like that. I told her the example where 淡 is used for snow, she said that the same is not used for koigokoro.

:monster:

well golly gosh gee what a shocker. :P

Though since you brought it up, I had been doing my own research and I will note that "淡い恋 +'fleeing love'" brings up quite a lot of results on google... (many of which are some song from the Hakuouki OST)

So if possible I'd like to hear some of the more Japanesey people's opinions on this. (I have no idea how to tell if it's an official translation or not though) There's also this yahoo dictionary:

http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/dsearch/3/2na/03579900/

That uses this as an example:
少年の日の淡い恋
a fleeting love of one's boyhood

Danseru, I'd like to, if possible, hear Risa's opinions on this as well.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Er... I dunno how to phrase the question yet so once I know how I'll ask. But note Que that what I asked her is koigokoro not koi, but yeah her dictionary does use koi.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I guess I was thinking it wouldn't make that much of a difference but fleeting love comes up for 淡い恋心 as well :monster:

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Problem is, I dunno how to ask her :monster:

"Hey remember what I asked earlier about the koigokoro? This yahoo dictionary *puts link* says that its fleeing. Does that mean what you told me earlier is incorrect?"

Honestly communicating with her is a bit difficult since she find it hard to understand complex English sentences without a dictionary.

Kittie

General Eccentric
AKA
The Iron Witch
Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong about this, because I'm genuinely confused at this point. I've seen the varying translations for this quote, and the argument for Cloud's childhood feelings for Tifa were fleeting really seems to contradict what's said in the same Ultimania, where it notes that Cloud and Tifa have been holding favor for one another for many years. It just baffles me to disregard what happened between them under the Highwind, and just acknowledge that Cloud's feelings for Tifa didn't last beyond childhood. It really doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. :\

Last edited:

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
I gotta agree that "fleeing love" does not make much narrative sense. if Cloud's love is fleeing, why does he fuck Tifa under the Highwind and then start raising kids with her? If Cloud's love is fleeing, it has yet to flee in the compilation.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong about this, because I'm genuinely confused at this point. I've seen the varying translations for this quote, and the argument for Cloud's childhood feelings for Tifa being fleeting really seems to contradict what's said in the same Ultimania, where it notes that Cloud and Tifa have been holding favor for one another for many years.

I've seen two things:

1. They totally ignore the other quote and the fact that favor or koui is what Aerith feels for Cloud.

2. This is true they argue that the correct translation was it wasn't "have been holding" but "held" in past tense. :/

Kittie

General Eccentric
AKA
The Iron Witch
I've seen two things:
1. They totally ignore the other quote and the fact that favor or koui is what Aerith feels for Cloud.

2. This is true they argue that the correct translation was it wasn't "have been holding" but "held" in past tense. :/

Thanks for clearing some of that up, Danseru. I honestly don't know what to think about the reasoning behind that kind of logic, although it's one of the saddest attempts at twisting around the meaning behind a quote I've ever seen. I don't see how denying something changes anything, because it really doesn't. At this point, I just can't understand why disproving a certain pairing is so important. So what if a certain pairing is/isn't canon? People should just enjoy what they like, no matter its canonicity. :sigh:

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
I have a question regarding Cloud and Aerith's "date" in the park. Now, the word date when used in English usually has romantic connotations, but doesn't always. So I must ask, does the word used for date in the CCU have inherently romantic connotations, or no?

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
Looking it up, デート is listed with the definition of a general date (as in a time), but I don't think it often (if ever) gets used like that normally, it's used for a romantic date.

JayM

Angry Lesbian
Thirding hito and Tres. I've only ever seen デート used to refer to an actual date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom