The Love Triangle Debate thread of KNEEL BEFORE ZOD OR SUFFER HIS WRATH (ignore the opening posts at your peril) (Round 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I agree with you.

There's no issue. Just an observation about a particular translation Que and I never agreed on until now. I don't mind conceding in the face of reason. :monster:

WHOOHOO Que was right :joy:
I'm glad we can finally agree on that... it's talking about the beginning stages of love... awesome, thanks for the translations Tres:salute:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
淡く幼い恋心

So how does this become "childhood awakening of love" and not "light child love" or " dim immature love" or something like that? How did you get awakening?... I need to know since I know we'll be asked :monster:

EDIT
BTW Is FFX-2 in the game?

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
恋心 (koigokoro) is "awakening of love," or simply "love."

I'm not sure I understand your question about X-2. Are you asking if it's in this Ultimania series? If so, no, but espritduo could probably tell you if it has any info at all about it.

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
You know I as JUST about to edit my post saying that I saw the "awakening" part and to fix my question which was.. yes "Is FFX-2 in the Ultimania?" :wallbanger:

Too tired for this... I posted these translations.. uh elsewhere, I hope that's okay. But a question... wouldn't it be "awakening of a young love" instead of a "childhood love?" It makes a bit of a difference....

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I don't mind if you post them elsewhere. That's what they be there for. To spread like herpes. :monster:

I'm not sure I see a valuable difference between "awakening of a young love" and "awakening of a childhood love," but I went with "childhood" because I felt "young love" is usually used in English when talking about known feelings and an established relationship among youngins.

By the way, espritduo says there's "not a peep" about X-2 in Vol. 3.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
By the way, espritduo says there's "not a peep" about X-2 in Vol. 3.
:(

Poor Leblanc Syndicate, so underrated...
AND WHAT ABOUT NOOJ?

anyways I guess I was thinking young love just refers to a love that is young (duh) and the childhood one is just one in childhood... you know what this made more sense when I thought about it earlier (I'm trying to avoid IT WAS JUST HIS CHILDHOOD)

I'm going to bed

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Quex. You're worried about words being twisted around by people who are kind of well known around here for being semantic fucks and quote miners.

Even if you gave them- have given them- a sentence which only makes sense when read in a singular way, they will insist on reading the nonsense way just to avoid admitting what that sentence says.

Don't stress about it. Just tell them to grow up and deal with reality like the rest of the grownups. Especially the oldest one there.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Oh yeah, I forgot a few pages ago I was saying none of this would make a different in the LTD world anyway... and then I almost tried to make a difference again. Silly me :monster:

Now there DOES seem to be one more page with Aerith's date on it... what's that about? Does it just say the date happened I'm assuming? (http://i.imgur.com/dfVGk.jpg)

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I can translate the exact text later, but don't expect much. The Memories sections are apparently just about things known to be memorable for players. VII's includes things like fighting at Battle Square and casting Knights of the Round, while VIII's includes playing Triple Triad and using Scan to try seeing up Selphie's skirt. :monster:

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
The first part of that date thing looks like

お相手は誰?

To me (who's the other person/date?). It's blurry but still.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Sorry, another request, is it true that the communicated feelings quote used for Cloti was used by Celes/Locke and Ingus/Sarah as well? If it's okay, can anyone post the text?

Selphie Tilmitt

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Maidenofwar
Wow, this is all awesme stuffs, thanks muchly ^_^ Now where do I put the money? :desu:

Yeah the Japanese text/translations for the Aerith scenes on the Memories of FFVII pages would be great too thanks $$$£££ :desu:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Sorry, another request, is it true that the communicated feelings quote used for Cloti was used by Celes/Locke and Ingus/Sarah as well? If it's okay, can anyone post the text?

It wasn't used for Ingah, but it was for Clocke:

「VI」すれちがいの果てに
帝国の将軍と反帝国組織の一員 -- お互いの立場ゆえにすれちがっていたセリスとロックは、長い期間を経てようやく想いを通わせた。

I'm sure you're already figuring out that it can't be an accident that all these same "Cloti terms" keep getting used for other couples.

10 minutes ago is your younger years?

(For the Record, Tres probably last did it five minutes ago.)

How long have you had cameras in my house?

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
But the lines of "holding favor for one another for many years" put in Tifa's profile, not Cloud. I think Cleriths still could defend it.

I Am Not Me

The Mean Clack
AKA
Mei, Koibito, Stalker, Little Dude, Nami
Because it doesn't prove anything about Cloud loving Tifa because it's in Tifa's file.

Duh. :wacky:

Splintered

unsavory tart
I can sort of see where they are going with the argument.

Playing devil's advocate for a bit: Tifa's section treats the affectionate highwind scene as canon in its wording. But it does the same thing with the date sequence.

Looking at Aerith's section, it also treats the date sequence as canon, no mention of variability. They both can't be canon, unless Cloud's also a really smooth time traveling player, which is a wonderful story for a sequel or something, but they still are written like they would be in their section- and there's no saying which is the "right" date.

It's put in there because it's significant to the character, not because its canon. Therefore there's no stretch of the imagination that the high affection scene has the same treatment- it's mentioned because its memorable but the variability still exists.

I guess my counterargument to that is the fact the date sequences reveal something true about the characters, and that just because they don't have that date doesn't mean that Tifa can't spit her feelings out or that Aerith doesn't know Cloud's messed up in the head- so all those romantic feelings are still there. And the highwind scene specifically mentions the romantic feelings they have towards each other.

That and the date scene =/= highwind scene in terms of importance. The lifestream scene is a natural segue to the highwind scene, which is a natural segue to the "I have you this time" and then to the starting a life together thing.

Still can't blame them from raising the point though.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I guess I would agree, Splint, if the book threw the Low Affection scene in under Cloud's section, or maybe even if it mentioned the variability anywhere in the book. The argument works for the dates because four versions are presented, but not for the Highwind scene, where the Low Affection version may as well not exist at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom