The Walking Dead: Season 6 Starts October 11th

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Pretty exciting.
And pretty sad, Dish Network is more then most likely going to drop AMC (along with IFC, sundance and WE) at the end of the month and probably wont get them back. So not sure how I'll see season 3 >.>

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
Leon S. Kennedy,Terry Bogard, The Dark Knight, Dacon, John Marston, Teal'c
merl.jpg

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
the-walking-dead-exclusive-1_5101.jpg

the-walking-dead-exclusive-2_510.jpg

Ask most readers of The Walking Dead comic book what their favorite setting is and they’ll say two words: the prison. Seen briefly in the distance in the final shot of season 2, the prison will become the new fortress/home for Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and company when the AMC drama returns in October… if they can clear it out the undead walkers, that is. And now we have our exclusive first sneak peek of the jail, as well as the current zombie inhabitants that call it home. In the first photo, our survivors assume a defensive, Avengers-like position to handle any incoming ghouls, while in the second, a machete-wielding Maggie (Lauren Cohan) prepares to deliver a kill shot to a zombie inmate. Check out the photos below as well as intel from executive producers Glen Mazzara and Robert Kirkman on the highly anticipated new setting for season 3.

“I’m incredibly proud of the prison,” says showrunner Glen Mazzara. “I think our crew has done a great job. It’s a huge sense of scale and magnitude I haven’t seen on any other show as far as construction. What’s important to us is, the prison itself is now a character in the show. It’s a haunted house, it’s scary, it’s frightening, and there are parts of the prison that are always terrifying, that are always inaccessible to our group. It’s not necessarily the blessing that the prison in the comic book turned out to be.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/07/02/walking-dead-prison-season-3-photos/

Max Payne

Banned
AKA
I know I said I wasn't going to post again but I saw this on youtube and I realised I had no one to share it with but I have to because I'm so hyped

MAJOR spoilers for season 3.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
AMC, please keep releasing awesome Walking Dead news and shit so Dac has to keep coming back.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Im glad there being a little bit more faithful in the comic.

But I dont know how I feel about them substituting events that happened to characters that dont exist in the show with ones who do..

Sure there being faithful now... but in the future when these substitutes have to get hurt or die they'll already be dead... So who will sub them at that point?

MAYBE if AMC wasnt the penny pinching, more commercial adding, burning the revenue making candle at both ends terrible company that they are, we could have had these established characters from the comic early on so that they dont have to fuck up the season in episode 1.

SmokingWiid

Rookie Adventurer
About four hours remain until part two of season three airs. It's going to be brutal.

I'm quite happy with the episodic video game.

The game has a lot more emphasis on the horror aspect going on in the survival theme. A little better than the TV series as it stand now in my opinion. I hear that will change soon though, for the TV series, which will feature more horror as was the case for the premiere of TWD. Sadly the game is complete for now. I was hoping for it to simply keep going without end, it was so good.

Lex

Administrator
I've been meaning to watch this for ages but haven't got around to it yet. Looking forward to starting at some point when I have more time :desu:

SmokingWiid

Rookie Adventurer
Having been exposed to clearing the game, watching the TV series up to now and talking it over, I suspect we will witness a certain somebody making their scene that might have us thinking well,-well...

I've been meaning to watch this for ages but haven't got around to it yet. Looking forward to starting at some point when I have more time :desu:

This is what happens when procrastination is let loose inside. ;) You'll catch up fast though, there are no boring scenes so far. There are parts that are pretty much on the same line as thriller in every episode, so you'll probably end up glued to it.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
^Smokingwild is lying.

There are indeed boring scenes, mostly the entirety of Season 2.
Season 1 is by far the best (darabont directing <3), and Season 3 is pretty decent in its writing and pacing.

But Season 2 will make you rip your ears off. Shitty writing all around. I'd take the time to explain it.. but I think its already been gone over in this thread while we all reported our thoughts on Season 2 right after every episode xD

I suggest atleast reading the first 60-70 issues of the comic (the best issues imo)

SmokingWiid

Rookie Adventurer
There are indeed boring scenes, mostly the entirety of Season 2.

I wouldn't label the scenes boring for mostly the entirety of season two; it knew Randall would break the group. It knew Rick would kill Shane and the farm would be lost. But at many points, it lost how to get there. Clearly the tracing is a bit friable, yes.

If there is any accurate word to sum up the entirety of season two, it's frustrating, not boring. Of course, in my opinion.

Shitty writing all around.

Granted that many scenes include stumbling all over the place in plot progression over Lori's dilemma, getting to find Sophia inanimate, among other plotted knots on the few strings does not make season two's writing exactly "shitty"/worthless, etc. It still manages to get to the dots it aims for, which are all sufficient in the proposed expectation it intends to serve, though even that is subjective at best, regardless with how it traces to them. I personally enjoyed season two, but that does not make it grand, I understand.

If the writing was worthless all around, season two would trace to a complete let down (dots would be inconclusive, unconvincing, and traces would be indecisive; characteristics which were not apparent due to the above), but it is much the opposite. So the writing is successful for what it intended to be, even though the comics being the source and not lving up to exact prospects. From all this, the deliverance of a verdict about season two's overall performance can only be opinionated, after all.

All in all, my intention isn't to lie, but to share my feelings. :moar:

Last edited:

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
I don't think season 2 was shitty, it's just that's it's not action-focused but very character driven. In season 2 we got:

Dale and Andrea's friendship expanded
Rick-Lori-Shane gets nastier
Carol's development and friendship with Daryl
Morality problem in the group -should they kill Randall?
Shane really, really losing it (I love it)
Why Ricktataorship happened

I think overall it's just boring to have the setting in a farm but looking at it 1/2 of season 2 is about Sophia and the midseason is heartbreaking, the latter half is mostly Shane.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
It was shitty character development marred by poor writing and lack of forethought.
Seriously the writers didnt think most things through, I.e. shane cutting his hand with the same knife that he used to kill zombies, even Greg Nicoterro responded on Twitter that that was an over sight, and thats just one occurrence. The entire season at minimum had atleast one oversight per episode.

Add in the poor writing and its just even more blah to watch.

Season 2 wasnt shitty because its lack of violence/action, it was shitty because it was poorly written.

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
I agree with some weird stuff in TWD like Dale not seeing the herd in his telescope when it was an open space before the jam, Sophia getting into the barn mysteriously, Lori always not noticing that CARL ISN'T IN THE HOUSE, characters that are obviously going to be killed that are forgettable, Dale dying a stupid death, and in S3 in Killer Within the zombies magically appeared in the background after a few seconds of panning.

However I still find S2's character development good, most of the characters interacted with each other at some point. Andrea and Lori, Daryl and Lori, Daryl and his chupacabra, lots of Rick and Hershel, and Shane with everybody else. I think all characters had a significant drama going on in S2... except T-Dog.

I dunno I'm a big fan of Carol after Season 2, and the Cherokee Rose thing was really touching. As for the random fat zombie in the well yeah meh... they just need to put a random kill in an episode.

Last edited:

Lex

Administrator
So I finally watched it all :)

And I have to say I agree about Season 2. The season finale should pretty much have been the episode after they got to the farm tbh.

And while Season 3 was better, it ended up being not better by much IMO. This is a great show and I love it (also Michonne = insta favourite character pretty much) but I've got to be honest, I'm disappointed in Season 3. I was expecting a massive change from the boring nature of Season 2 and essentially they've just moved to a different place. Zombie apocalypse stories don't really work for me unless they're on the run. There's no larger arc driving the story on. Yeah I get it, it's about survival etc but they should be looking for something bigger or trying to get somewhere IMO, I do not like them stuck in one place for longer than I'd say 3-4 episodes at an absolute max. I mean at least in Season 1 we had them coming and going from the city ffs.

Also that season finale, what the fuck. Yeah there was a sad part
I actually didn't mind Andrea but it was more the emotion from Michonne that made the scene for me, she's such a kickass character
but I cannot express my rage that
the governor is still alive and continuing on for what seems to be the sole reason of "we cba thinking up a better storyline for next season".

I'm sorry, but if they don't move on near the start of Season 4 I'm out, I don't care how attracted to Rick I am (and I am crushing on him so bad it's not even funny. Badass manly mofo).

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
So I finally watched it all :)

And I have to say I agree about Season 2. The season finale should pretty much have been the episode after they got to the farm tbh.

And while Season 3 was better, it ended up being not better by much IMO. This is a great show and I love it (also Michonne = insta favourite character pretty much) but I've got to be honest, I'm disappointed in Season 3. I was expecting a massive change from the boring nature of Season 2 and essentially they've just moved to a different place. Zombie apocalypse stories don't really work for me unless they're on the run. There's no larger arc driving the story on. Yeah I get it, it's about survival etc but they should be looking for something bigger or trying to get somewhere IMO, I do not like them stuck in one place for longer than I'd say 3-4 episodes at an absolute max. I mean at least in Season 1 we had them coming and going from the city ffs.

Also that season finale, what the fuck. Yeah there was a sad part
I actually didn't mind Andrea but it was more the emotion from Michonne that made the scene for me, she's such a kickass character
but I cannot express my rage that
the governor is still alive and continuing on for what seems to be the sole reason of "we cba thinking up a better storyline for next season".

I'm sorry, but if they don't move on near the start of Season 4 I'm out, I don't care how attracted to Rick I am (and I am crushing on him so bad it's not even funny. Badass manly mofo).

Out of curiosity, have you read the comics series the show is based on? Because it might be more suited to your tastes.

Unlucky

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN
Agreed about Michonne,
that last part got me emotional mainly because of her, though I was also sad to see Andrea go. I do wonder how they could stretch the Governor's storyline into the 4th season without tiring it out-- but I don't mind. What gets me wondering is what Rick's gonna do with all those people joining him :monster:

And I also haven't read the comic so I don't know how much the series strays from the original story. But I'm planning to buy it.

Rick is a fine man, but Daryl wins my fan girl lust <3

addendum: relevant :awesome:
Lori in a white dress is so silly. Glad she's wearing her normal clothes on her recent hauntings :desu:

Last edited:

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Gotta cp my thoughts from tumblr

• Final battle is not that good :/ Good tactics by Prison team but :/ Where is Daryl action? Rick action? Michonne action? Where are the badassery?
  • Milton dying ;_; I really love Milton
  • Andrea&#8217;s death was unexpected to me, and I wanna cry because Michonne is crying. I never hated Andrea, I only disliked her attitude but I think she&#8217;s a very dynamic character and her death actually saddened me. Michandrea sank ;_;
  • I feel that this is not a finale episode, it feels like a mid-season finale or just a prelude to another governor arc. Not climactic enough :/
  • The drama isn&#8217;t enough. In Season 1 the climax is about wanting to live or ending it, a building exploding. Season 2 has Rick killing his bestfriend and becoming a dictator, a step-up from his old self. Now in Season 3, Andrea dies but what about other characters? What did it tackle and left us thinking? Carl killing someone willingly :/ Not climactic enough.

The 2nd half of Season 3 is a major disappointment to me overall. It's the weakest part of the series :/

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
To those that are curious the comic has many similarities to the show but a lot of differences as well for example
Shane dies within the very first 6 issues of the comic. Sophia never died and is still alive in the comics. Daryl never existed in the comics. Andrea is still alive and is also a badass sniper (and is currently in a relationship with Rick and had previously been in one with Dale who survived a lot longer in the comics). Lori did not die in childbirth but instead was killed (causing her to crush and kill the baby Judy as well) when the Governor led an all out assault on the prison which caused a major status quo change forcing much of the cast to be killed as well as abandon the prison. Glenn was recently killed in issue 100 of the comic but Maggie is still alive and is currently pregnant (Glenn and Maggie also are/were Sophia's foster parents after comics!Carol killed herself).
The differences go on...

Danseru-kun

Pro Adventurer
Lori kicked the bucket, but that is more like, a celebration :desu:

edit: There's not enough Glenn in this season.

I actually liked Lori's character a little, I think she wasn't a bad mother or wife, she's just a bad survivor in a zombie apocalypse. I think she made mistakes and she is just really bad at fixing them. I was really sad when I see her go and one of the best episodes of TWD for me is Killer Within. Even though they're hated, Lori and Shane are excellent characters for me.

What I mean is that the final episode is too centered on Andrea, Rick, Michonne and Carl we do not see anything in others. This is even poorly executed. Michonne and Andrea lacked the drama Rick and Shane have in the S2 finale. Rick becomes nice again out of nowhere just as when he becomes cold out of nowhere. Daryl on Merle, Carol, Hershel, Beth, Maggie and Glenn we don't see something about them.

In season 2, Hershel has to come in terms with losing his farm, Maggie and Gless got stronger, Daryls' bond with Carol solidified, Andrea gets separated, Lori and Rick get worse. Season 3's 2nd half is too much Merle and Andrea IMO, too much Rick wangsting, Goevrnor being evil, Glenn and Maggie fanservice.

Lex

Administrator
I don't know about the comics. I know its the source and normally I'm all over that, but no Daryl? :(. Also I find it really hard to read comic books for some reason. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is probably my favourite TV show of all time, I was obsessed with it for years and could still watch all the episodes over and over again but I can't get into the comics from that and that's a canon continuation of the story.

I'll try to check it out though.

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I don't know about the comics. I know its the source and normally I'm all over that, but no Daryl? :(. Also I find it really hard to read comic books for some reason. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is probably my favourite TV show of all time, I was obsessed with it for years and could still watch all the episodes over and over again but I can't get into the comics from that and that's a canon continuation of the story.

I'll try to check it out though.
How easy a comic reads can often depend on the writer+artist and personally I find the TWD issues very easy to read.
Also FYI the comic is also "colored" in black and white, it IMO adds to the overall zombie apocalypse atmosphere of the series.

Top Bottom