Things that piss you off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
This seems to confirm that many cases go unreported. But it doesn't mention the ratio of men to women who don't report the crime. Indeed, it suggests men are less likely to report it than women (Which makes me wonder how they can determine that men account for only ten percent.) It also doesn't mention false accusations, so I'm not sure where your comparison is coming from.

Still, it does seem to reinforce my belief, which I believe you all share, that rape in general sucks.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
FBI reports consistently put the number of "unfounded" rape accusations around 8%. The average rate of unfounded reports for Index crimes is 2%.[3] However, “unfounded” is not synonymous with false allegation.[4] Bruce Gross of the Forensic Examiner's says that:
This statistic is almost meaningless, as many of the jurisdictions from which the FBI collects data on crime use different definitions of, or criteria for, "unfounded." That is, a report of rape might be classified as unfounded (rather than as forcible rape) if the alleged victim did not try to fight off the suspect, if the alleged perpetrator did not use physical force or a weapon of some sort, if the alleged victim did not sustain any physical injuries, or if the alleged victim and the accused had a prior sexual relationship. Similarly, a report might be deemed unfounded if there is no physical evidence or too many inconsistencies between the accuser's statement and what evidence does exist. As such, although some unfounded cases of rape may be false or fabricated, not all unfounded cases are false.[5]
sauce

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
Fair enough I suppose.

So in conclusion, rape sucks. Many rape victims don't report it due to a sense of shame, particularly male victims, though plenty of female victims as well.. Not all rapists are sent to jail, sometimes innocents are setn to jail following false accusations, and in general the whole thing is just one more glaring example as to why humanity sucks.

Agreed?

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Alright fine. What poitn is he making then? Tell me.
I don't care for either the snark or the imperious attitude. just fyi

The point he's making is to do something more than just bitch on the internet. You hate it so much, raise awareness. Create a group on Facebook. Become a prosecutor or a lobbyist. Do more than bitch and moan on an internet forum, because all that does is make you feel better until the next time you think about it - ultimately solving nothing.

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
I don't care for either the snark or the imperious attitude. just fyi

The point he's making is to do something more than just bitch on the internet. You hate it so much, raise awareness. Create a group on Facebook. Become a prosecutor or a lobbyist. Do more than bitch and moan on an internet forum, because all that does is make you feel better until the next time you think about it - ultimately solving nothing.

I wasn't intending any snark. I was curious as to what point he was making, and therefore asked you to explain it since I seemed to have missed it, according to you.

Now, while I understand the point I question why its such a big deal. I might do just that, I've been thinking about it. But this whole thread is here for people to bitch about things that piss them off. We've got over 700 pages of people talking about what makes them angry. So I posted a post explaining what pissed me off. No more, no less.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Not really asking, but that's besides the point.

And he posted a post explaining that you should do more if it makes you so angry. In many cultures, it's considered polite and/or friendly to try and help someone with something that's troubling them.

Your massive overreaction sparked the other reply (I'm not sure if that came across earlier or not).

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Yeah guys this is a thread for venting, rather than a thread for asking people what they're going to do about it
If they wanna do things about it fairy nuff but we don't need to press the point :monster:

c'mon lets just hold hands and sing around the goddamn campfire here

Lord Noctis

Harbinger of Darkness
AKA
Caius Ballad
He's right and you know it.

I anwsered that post with the statement that posting here helps me vent. Which it does. I appreciate that he wanted to give me advice, but thats not what I came to this thread for. I'm here to bitch and moan about that which troubles me, same as anyone else.

But enough about it. This topic has dragged on entirely to long.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
... who says just because people bitch about things, doesn't mean they aren't doing anything about it? You can raise awareness all you like, things like rape are still going to happen and it's still going to piss you off. He has a right to state that it pisses him off. :/ For all anyone knows, he's already been doing something to help.

Dear God, we had this same discussion in the forever alone thread. Just because people are down in the dumps about something doesn't mean they're sitting on their asses doing nothing. Jeez.

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Sigh.

I dislike being unable to express an opinion, or my thoughts on something. People simply don't listen; and then, of course, when they do, all they hear is what they want, often in an attempt to get mad or offended and feel justified in behaving however they please. It's too bad that people don't just...pay more attention, I guess.

ed: incidentally, my previous post makes 10,000 on this forum, over about two and a half years. Bit depressing, really.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
This is all Yop's fault. Damn you, Yop.

:awesome:

Bex

fresh to death
AKA
Bex
DRAMA
back on topic
working the breakfast and lunch shifts today at work
oh it's okay guys, i love being given5 hours to sleep between shifts

fuck you

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
This is all Yop's fault. Damn you, Yop.

:awesome:

:bigmonster:

Related, this rape business is trivial compared to the shit that goes on in countries like Congo, where rape and (genital) mutilation is commonplace and used as a mean of oppressing the peoples. Saw part of a documentary the other day, not pleasant. And nothing is being done about it. Nobody, besides an odd documentary maker, even raises a point about it, and those are only viewed by a relatively tiny amount of people.

Super Mario

IT'S A ME!
AKA
Jesse McCree. I feel like a New Man
Yea suspend me from duty because of a small time mistake I'm trying to correct, which I was working on half way and now I cant because you suspended me from duty. Thank you so fucking much work, I'm definitely shifting to another job now.

Mantichorus

"I've seen enough."
AKA
Kris; Mantichorus; Sam Vimes; Neku Sakuraba; Koki Kariya; Hazama; CuChulainn; Yu Narukami; Mewtwo; Rival Silver; Suicune; Kanata; Professor Oak; The Brigadier; VIII; The Engineer
Phone seems to be knackered. Only the on/off button and number keys are currently working (meaning I can dial a number but not call it). Damnit, I knew I was going to have to get a new one soon, but I was hoping it could at least hold on until payday (two weeks away).

Joker

We have come to terms
AKA
Godot
Force represents everything that's wrong with the world.

I also heard he kicks puppies and steals candy from children of all ages

Ot: today sucks.

Lumina

a pokémon.
AKA
Bayleef, Jessica
The fact that for ONCE I made an icon I really liked....and realizing moments later I didn't upload it to tinypic. DANG IT!!!!!!!!! @*#&$*#@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom