VII REBIRTH RELEASES FEB 29! NEW TRAILER!

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
Putting aside any discussion of timelines or lifestream realities, I am kinda curious what the order of events for Zack is.

Seems to be:
1.Walk to Midgar
2. Enter sector 5
3. Leave Cloud with Kirie
4. ??? (he gets cleaned up at some point)
5. Visits the Church, finds Aerith missing
6. Visits Elmyra

Mr. Dolphin

Lv. 25 Adventurer
Junon looks so good it's crazy.

Wonder who the goatee guy is in Junon....

My first thought was that it's Roche and his goatee is grown out a little. He's a soldier so he's going to degrade at some point, right? Though that guy seems like he's in a lot better shape than the other robed Sephiroth clones.

Reactions: Ite

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Personally, I think that in the Terrier world, the planet is dying faster than what our party is experiencing in the Beagle world. Since the planet is dying faster, Terrier Barret may have taken action quicker with the reactor bombings, which consequently pulled in Tifa, Aerith, and somehow Red XIII.
Personally don't think the Terrier Timeline is actually staggered in the past. My theory is that they're happening in parallel and something was altered in the Terrier Timeline to stall Zack and Cloud's escape from Nibelheim such that they didn't arrive on the outskirts of Midgar until three months later than they did in the original.

In other words, Zack and Cloud arrived on the outskirts of Midgar while Avalanche was facing the Whispers and/or Sephiroth on the highway. Following the plate collapse and Avalanche's rampage through Shinra HQ, Shinra's Security Forces were spread thin enough that this time Zack was able to overcome his pursuers.

What might have changed as a result of Cloud not being with Avalanche? Well, they would have pulled off the bombing mission because it was a Shinra false flag operation anyway. Reactor 5 would probably be a point of diversion, since Cloud wouldn't have fallen into the Sector 5 slums to meet Aerith. I'm not sure about the middle section of the Midgar chapter, but probably nobody fell into the Sector 5 church or Tifa fell and met Aerith, either way no Wall Market diversion so they're there to help Jessie, Biggs, and probably Wedge survive the Plate Collapse incident, even if they can't stop it from happening. In the end Avalanche would likely still wind up in the Shinra HQ lab either after being captured or raiding it themselves, meeting Aerith and Red XIII in the process. They escape, but without Cloud's help they failed on the highway and were "killed" in the "tornado."

Zack arrives in Sector 5, leaves Cloud with Kyrie, in such a rush that he doesn't see the news reports showing Aerith amongst the casualties, and finds her neighbors grieving her death in her church. He makes his way to Elmyra. Meanwhile Cloud succumbs to the Reunion instinct and joins the other Sephiroth copies. When Zack realizes he's gone missing that'll be his impetus to travel to chase Sephiroth.

I think there's a pretty good chance that Zack will be playable, especially given his prominence in the new key art. I just wonder if he'll get his own party or continue solo like in Crisis Core. It would be kinda cool if his party included the "ghosts" who died in the original timeline. Biggs, Wedge, Jessie, Sonon, Dyne... Aerith...

SilverArrow20XX

Pro Adventurer
Looks like Glenn Lodbrok, the main protagonist of EVER CRISIS / THE FIRST SOLDIER. He's one of the original "passive model" SOLDIERs from the Project 0 era, before the introduction of Hojo's augmented "active grade" SOLDIERs.

DRKOHOE.png

Nomura said in a recent interview that the original story for EVER CRISIS was developed by Nojima in tandem with the REMAKE project. Will be interesting to see where the story goes knowing that it's actually being tied into the main plot of REBIRTH.

So far Glenn seems to have a rivalry with Sephiroth, viewing his strength as artificial in contrast with his unit of P0 Class SOLDIERs who represent the pinnacle of "ordinary" human strength.

Looks like he's maybe trying to blend in with the Sephiroth Copies?

Ha. Glenn was actually my first thought, but I thought he was a bit too blonde.
The hair color is closer to Genesis. Which matches my theory that he went back in time after Dirge to stop Seph.
But seeing that robed Glenn look has me leaning Glenn again.

Reactions: LNK

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Somehow it took me three rewatches to realize that Sephiroth's last bit of dialogue is, "It's upon us... the Reunion. When worlds merge."

So pretty overt that Sephiroth is trying to merge parallel worlds as part of a different kind of Reunion. Or maybe Jenova's cellular reunion actually spans not only space but time, and her infestation of worlds is actually something that could pull parallel worlds together into some sort of singularity? Just a weird idea. When parallel timelines show up I always think of BlazBlue now, where the villain, a death goddess, wanted to end all parallel timelines and time loops to create a single finite reality, a universe of true death.

Also just now occurs to me that the key art could be seen as depicting past (Zack's side, blue sky), present (Cloud's side, night sky), and future (Sephiroth's side, meteorfall).

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Personally don't think the Terrier Timeline is actually staggered in the past. My theory is that they're happening in parallel and something was altered in the Terrier Timeline to stall Zack and Cloud's escape from Nibelheim such that they didn't arrive on the outskirts of Midgar until three months later than they did in the original.

Regarding when Zack's scenes take place, it can be frustrating to investigate because of how inaccurate Midgar's portrayal can be. I'm referring to things like the Sector 6 plate being over Sector 5, which has even cropped up in the latest trailer. If SE was more consistent with this, I'd feel more confident deducing things from background details. For example, during Zack's last stand in Remake, all the reactors are intact. So with that, we could say that the first bombing mission didn't happen. However, the fact that it's intact could just be a mistake, like with so many other oversights...

Regardless, whether Zack arrived in September or December isn't something I'll argue over. I could go either way. I'm more interested in how his story will develop and spill over. Though whatever's going on, it doesn't appear to affect our party for quite a while. We now have footage of the story up to Nibelheim and everyone is acting more or less the same. Of course some of the towns are mixed around, but I'm willing to bet that Nibelheim is still in the second half of the game.

So pretty overt that Sephiroth is trying to merge parallel worlds as part of a different kind of Reunion. Or maybe Jenova's cellular reunion actually spans not only space but time, and her infestation of worlds is actually something that could pull parallel worlds together into some sort of singularity?

Very much on the same page. Considering this is a three part series where each game is it's own AAA project, I think the storytellers felt the need to upscale the story proportionately. It'd be wild to introduce all this new stuff and Sephiroth's plan is still to just merge with the planet's lifestream. I think his sights are set a bit higher. Like cosmic levels higher. Or at least pivoted.

Last edited:

Theozilla

Kaiju Member

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
Did anyone else cringe at the moment where cloud and sephiroth look into each others eyes before swinging their big swords XD
Not the only one haha, reminded me of those anwkard Yazoo close-ups from AC.

Otherwise, great fucking packed trailer holy shit!

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
Story synopsis from the press media kit:

For years now, the Shinra Electric Power Company has been providing the world with energy at the expense
of the lifestream, the "river" whence all life flows and whither it returns.
After storming the company's headquarters and engaging in a series of battles for the ages, Cloud and his
companions leave Midgar behind and set out for the wider world. Once in the grasslands, they hop aboard
chocobos and embark on a journey with an unknown destination.
Meanwhile, Zack─beaten and battered from his fight against an army of troopers─hobbles across the
wastelands into Midgar with a mako-poisoned Cloud on his shoulder. Though he has managed to escape
death for now, the ominous rift in the sky gives him little reason to rejoice.
That is hardly the only threat facing the world, however. The Shinra Resistance Committee, backed by Wutai's
interim government, declares war on the company; figures shrouded in black robes carry with them the
corpse of Jenova, a veritable calamity from another world; and the Weapons─fierce and monstrous guardians
of the planet─have recently awakened.
Amid this chaos, Sephiroth has set his plan in motion, thus ensuring myriad fates intertwine and are birthed
anew.

Jimmy XH

Pro Adventurer
Story synopsis from the press media kit:

For years now, the Shinra Electric Power Company has been providing the world with energy at the expense
of the lifestream, the "river" whence all life flows and whither it returns.
After storming the company's headquarters and engaging in a series of battles for the ages, Cloud and his
companions leave Midgar behind and set out for the wider world. Once in the grasslands, they hop aboard
chocobos and embark on a journey with an unknown destination.
Meanwhile, Zack─beaten and battered from his fight against an army of troopers─hobbles across the
wastelands into Midgar with a mako-poisoned Cloud on his shoulder. Though he has managed to escape
death for now, the ominous rift in the sky gives him little reason to rejoice.
That is hardly the only threat facing the world, however. The Shinra Resistance Committee, backed by Wutai's
interim government, declares war on the company; figures shrouded in black robes carry with them the
corpse of Jenova, a veritable calamity from another world; and the Weapons─fierce and monstrous guardians
of the planet─have recently awakened.
Amid this chaos, Sephiroth has set his plan in motion, thus ensuring myriad fates intertwine and are birthed
anew.
Obviously trying to piece this together five months before the game is out is a pointless exercise but at the moment I feel like I'm going to need a degree in astrophysics to work this story out when the time comes.

The Shinra Resistance Committee? Who are they? Something to do with what we saw in Intergrade?

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
the ominous rift in the sky gives him little reason to rejoice.
The w h a t

Okay I know I've been an arrogant ass about this before, but I'll admit after this trailer I'm coming around to the two timelines idea. If they merge, it's all the same anyway. My main concern with it was always that people were just using it as an excuse to make Zack's survival non-consequential when it so obviously is, so whatever works lol. My idea was still better though.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
Popular consensus is that the hooded man is Glenn from The First Soldier. Maybe! Check out the comparison below. It should be noted that the scene in the top frame takes place 7 years before FFVII, so perhaps Glenn grew out his facial hair (and it naturally became darker).

Considering this is a title with Nomura as the Creative Director, I have no doubt that The First Soldier's story in Ever Crisis will be relevant to the overarching Remake plot, just like how the various Kingdom Hearts mobile games feed into KHIII and beyond.

However, there are differences in the design of both cloaks, and there's really no reason to hide Glenn at this point. So I'm not 100% convinced.

image (20).jpg

Reactions: Wol

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I know we can barely see the face in either image, but I don't think the Rebirth hooded guy's nose looks the same as Glenn's personally. It's narrower, and his face looks less beefy. I'm not really sure who it would be though, my first though was actually Zangan but the hair isn't gray.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
That synopsis has given us more story bits to munch on than the actual trailer. Wow.

Yes, the vibe is definitely off during Zack's newest scenes. Having some calamity does give it it's own presence to separate it from the Beagle world.

Perhaps the hooded character is part of the Shinra Resistance Committee? Right after Rufus commands the canon, he looks surprised by something. Perhaps this new Resistance group planned an assault on the inauguration, and it's about to hit? (Hence why the hooded man smiles and leaves.)

Screenshot_20230915-174006.png

So the Weapons aren't just being introduced, they're actually waking up? Meteor hasn't even been summoned, so things are definitely not okay.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Reactions: Ite

Ite

Save your valediction (she/her)
AKA
Ite

Haha, in all seriousness it was clearly tactical mode footage that they used for dramatic effect. And, good, please show me that Tactical Mode is still in the game. The somewhat dead-eyed nature of the battle sprites is a small price to pay for on-demand bullet time.

Ashen

Pro Adventurer
Ahhh, I'm exhausted out of all the excitement. And a bit dizzy, haha.

So Wutai will be left for part 3 in the end? A pity, since I love that sidequest. At least I guess they'll expand the story around there. My hopes.

And sounds like they put a lot of effort in the Rufus parade part. I'm happy, and looking forward to taking loads of screenshots of him for my screensaver, haha.

Ahahahahaha, I just saw this as well. Really, it's just too funny hahahahaha.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Alright, time for a bunch of details including some things that have already been introduced via Ever Crisis:

Insofar as "the rift in the sky" – that's visible at the start of the trailer as Zack carrying Cloud is turning away from Elmyra who's commenting that apparently the world is going to end. What's notable about the gigantic rift here is that it's the region where the Whispers were obliterated in the dome over Midgar, as well as the fact that the rift itself has a golden hue to it. That's a color choice that's VERY seldom used, but is what we see Cloud looking towards at the Edge of Creation in the end of Remake.

Compare the pan up 10 seconds in to the new trailer (especially as the lighting fades), to the celestial structure that Cloud is looking at at the Edge of Creation. What's especially noteworthy here is that the celestial structure BEHIND Cloud is the nebula that looks like Meteor. These have always been two separate directions for things and representing the different choices and a world that Sephiroth wants to bring together. The new trailer mentions "Reunion" in the context of merging the worlds and even the cover art of Rebirth shows Sephiroth underneath Jenova's meteoric red sky in between Cloud standing underneath the Nibelheim Promise sky and Zack standing underneath the clear blue sky he wanted to show Aerith (Also, the very clear indications there should make some LTD people have some opinions about things).

Beyond this is something else that's a bit more surprising which is the Ever Crisis summer event with the Watermelon Tonberry. In that scenario the Watermelon Tonberry appears and Cissnei & Zack who are on vacation during Crisis Core are ordered to capture it and bring it in for the Shinra science department (foreshadowing context for what Cissnei has to do with Zack later on). The Watermelon Tonberry escapes through a portal and Cissnei mentions that the Portal is, "A teleportation spell. A prototype materia developed by Professor Hojo. It was determined to have no value and subsequently shelved." The Watermelon Tonberry uses it to transport himself between the beach at Costa Del Sol when Zack & Cissnei are there and emerge when Cloud & Co are there during Final Fantasy VII.

His reason for travelling is that he wants to bring everyone together to have a Watermelon Bash celebration, and Aerith is the only one who can sense is intentions with the same sort of mind-reading that she does in Remake of hearing his thoughts in the Lifestream. She hand writes a letter for him to carry to explain what he's doing. He disappears to visit other beaches assumedly aside from just the ones that we see, but when it cuts back to the Crisis Core time period, Zack's sitting on the beach and he comments, "The ocean is huge... I wish Aerith could see this." to which Cissnei replies, "If you wish hard enough, you might get through to her. I'm not joking. She's an Anc–" before cutting herself off. This starts to establish even more of a sense of Aerith's ability to sense things in the world around her through the flow of the Lifestream.

That's when the Watermelon Tonberry arrives with the letter handwritten by Aerith that Zack reads and he recognizes the writing, which makes him trust his intentions, and he and Cissnei let him go – at which point the Watermelon Bash and the little dude become a Costa Del Sol mascot of sorts. So they've established a soft precedent for interconnection literally just DAYS before this trailer launched.

Additionally, the PlayStation Blog clarifies that we're getting a slightly new order in the locations being visited, which includes Wutai not being present until the final game. That makes things rather interesting to think about in the context of the trailer, as Dr. Sheiran is shown talking to them about the former SOLDIER in black cloaks suffering from cellular degradation is likely the same doctor in Mideel who tends to the catatonic, wheelchair-bound Cloud – establishing a precedent for his understanding Lifestream and Mako-related effects on humans. Of note is that in Ever Crisis, the Rhadoran's were the island nation formerly allied with Shinra who keep a close eye on the flow of the Lifestream and its influence in triggering natural disasters. Rosen, the Eye of Rhadore who keeps watch describes this as, "A mana torrent is like a tsunami or a flood. Can you picture it? People and homes, swept away in an instant. When the mana becomes restless, the first signs of a coming torrent can be seen in the eastern waters. That's the ocean outside. It's said that the ground rumbles and the water's surface begins to shimmer." and you can even see the Lifestream itself in the ocean waters from some of the coastline there. While it's not confirmed where the Rhadore Archepelago is located, the small chain of islands just north of Mideel seems like a likely candidate.

Seeing the cloaked figure that appears to be Glenn during the trailer, as well as Glenn seeming to develop a rather sympathetic perspective towards Rosen in The First SOLDIER sequences so far, as well as being antagonistic towards Sephiroth in the opening cinematic makes me think that this is going to be connected to the SRC (Shinra Resistance Committee) that's being supported by the Wutai Interim Government. Mideel's location being geographically near Wutai, and establishing the presence of a former Shinra-war-ally-turned-enemy makes sense, but especially as it was confirmed that Wutai is being delayed to the next game. Rebirth comes out in five months, and I expect that the stories in Ever Crisis will continue to be a way to provide some background context to some of the other forces at play during the final act, which will also help to set up for what a post-Shinra world would look like, and how they'd transition into organizations like the WRO, but also how the presence of the ex-P0 SOLDIERs & Wutai forces linked into Yuffie's story from INTERmission will give an avenue to also address the situation in Deepground within the game itself rather than as something that happens afterwards.

What makes these things stand out is that we know that the sequence of some events are being shifted around, as the end of the game is apparently the events of the Forgotten Capital, but we also see Tifa in the Lifestream and talking to Red XIII about Weapon – which doesn't typically occur until the Whirlwind Maze. Remake was pretty specific about foreshadowing Cloud being lead to the Whirlwind Maze along with the other Black Cloaked Sephiroth copies and the trailer mentions that they're potentially their best shot at finding Sephiroth. Given that Cloud gives Sephiroth the Black Materia at the Temple of the Ancients, and Aerith departs – but then they get it back and he gives it up again at North Crater makes me think that there's a possibility that we might be seeing some shifting into the sequence of those events, such that Aerith's departure and prayer is more specifically linked to stopping Meteor, and thus the events that transpire there leave things at the ultimate low of essentially everyone failing and the Apocalypse seemingly being triggered (since narratively, the middle chapter of a trilogy is about testing characters and leaving off with things broken, so that the triumph of the final chapter feels that it has to rise back from nothing).

The other part of this that makes me bring all of this up is the way that the suspicion of identity is taking place, and the idea of Zack's survival being merged into this world would present a rather unique problem which is that there's then going to be a duplicate Cloud. This just further exacerbates the identity crisis that Cloud has, but we also know that Crisis Core catatonic Cloud's consciousness is essentially stuck in the Lifestream. It seems like they're setting up for the possibility of the "other Cloud" voice in Cloud's head LITERALLY BEING THE OTHER CLOUD, which would make Aerith's ability to sense things and likely still saying that she wants to meet "the REAL Cloud" during the Gold Saucer date take on a slightly different, but still thematically identical meaning. Again – those are all elements that there are bits of storytelling foreshadowing that have been dropped in Ever Crisis JUST prior to this trailer, and The First SOLDIER story being developed in tandem with Rebirth seems to add some additional weight to this. Add to that that we already KNOW that there're multiple iterations of Sephiroth present in Remake, and Cloud & Sephiroth's connection inside Cloud's head just adds more weight to that.

IMO – this seems like a fairly satisfying way to create the mystery that still follows the echo of the original structure but adds in layers of something different as well for people (like most of us) who are already fans of the original game.

Lastly, comes to something that Nomura said in the PlayStation Blog interview which is, "Every trailer has a specific purpose. Since this is the second installment in the Final Fantasy VII remake project, there are people who have played the previous game or enthusiastic fans who follow the built-in mysteries, but for newcomers or those who are or simply interested in the Final Fantasy VII series, we wanted to include a full overview of what kind of experience they will have with this remake project. So, there is less of a mysterious pretense to the story this time, but you can look forward to the next trailer." – Especially with only 5 months until it's released, this is why I think it's worth notice that even amongst all of the CRAZY amazing things in this trailer that are being realized from the original game, I think that these all give a sense of things to keep an eye out for in the next trailer, which is going to be more geared towards tossing a wrench into everyone's theories about what the hell's going on.

X :neo:

ForceStealer

Double Growth
"A teleportation spell. A prototype materia developed by Professor Hojo. It was determined to have no value and subsequently shelved."
...how stupid is Hojo? In what universe would a teleportation spell not have value :lol:

but we also see Tifa in the Lifestream and talking to Red XIII about Weapon – which doesn't typically occur until the Whirlwind Maze.
This is certainly possible, but it could also easily be another exposition scene in Bugenhagen's holodeck.

Top Bottom