Weekly roundups

Lex

Administrator
Well done Avec, it's our biggest roundup yet. I'm glad you didn't include the Shui Ta article.

AvecAloes

Donator
The size of the article is definitely thanks to you and all of the material you gave us to work with :)

The things I had originally written out about the Shui Ta article were sarcastic and scathing, don't worry. It wouldn't have been anything praising him :P

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
I should mention here, as I have on our Facebook page, that there will be no roundup this week, because of our look back at 500 articles. It will be back next Monday :)

Lex

Administrator
As expected, the same one released in 1999 with graphics upscaling. Only they're not even that upscaled, because there are better filters available through the Qhimm graphics driver (look at the state of the number font in battle). I highly suspect they've piggypacked Aali's driver again.

Many Buster Sworld replicas have been made but THIS example has got to be the most professionally crafted one yet. Doesn't hurt that the video screams of ROCK 'N ROLL! YEAUGH!

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
That's awesome. It's going in. I started a roundup yesterday but paused when I had some computer trouble, and decided not to continue with it once the podcast had been uploaded. I might finish it today.

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
But why? They got rid of it for Dissidia, and I don't think it would be that hard to replace the ks with cs, especially since she only has like 5 lines.
Because Dissidia was a new game, while this will be a re-release of an existing game with an increased resolution. If their re-release of VII is anything to go by, they will change virtually nothing.

Kermitu Kleric Katie

KULT OF KERMITU
It's always annoyed me how they never bothered to fix VII's shitty localization in any of the 4 ports. They fixed a few with the PC versions, but the overall localization was still shit. I was hoping SE would finally learn to fix stupid localization decisions when they port their games. Unlikely, but one can dream. It's not like they'd have to fix m,uch with VIII anyway, the only poor localization decisions FFVIII had as far as I can remember are the aforementioned ks instead of cs thing and the lack of an apostrophe in Fisherman's Horizon.(Zell liking hot dogs instead of bread doesn't count, as that was changed for cultural reasons, which I can totally understand)

Drax

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Benoist; Captain Highwind
This Buster Sword turned out pretty well too.

A sword so heavy only a dudebro may wield it (srsly that guy is jacked, props)

Lex

Administrator
It's always annoyed me how they never bothered to fix VII's shitty localization in any of the 4 ports. They fixed a few with the PC versions, but the overall localization was still shit. I was hoping SE would finally learn to fix stupid localization decisions when they port their games. Unlikely, but one can dream. It's not like they'd have to fix m,uch with VIII anyway, the only poor localization decisions FFVIII had as far as I can remember are the aforementioned ks instead of cs thing and the lack of an apostrophe in Fisherman's Horizon.(Zell liking hot dogs instead of bread doesn't count, as that was changed for cultural reasons, which I can totally understand)

VIII had a really bad translation, it was just more polished than VII's so it wasn't as noticeable. They're not going to re-translate a game when all they need to do is upscale shit, that's just silly.

Ghost X

I wonder what the extent of their customer interaction is. Seems those in charge still exist in a bubble. They shouldn't be guessing what their customers want (which seems to be the case by the language they are using), they should know.

Lex

Administrator

HOLY CRAP!

That's probably the biggest non-glitch actually-included-in-the-games-code discovery there's ever been from the PS era! I'm astounded!

EDIT: I'm reading their actual PDF (from the Square Enix thing) and it has some interesting quotes of its own:

One could go as far as to say that in today's times, making
customers wait for years with little to no information is being
dishonest to them. We're no longer in an age where
customers are left in the dark until a product is completed. We
need to shift to a business model where we frequently
interact with our customers for our products that are
in‐development and/or prior to being sold, have our
customers understand games under development, and finally
make sure we develop games that meet their expectations.

This seems good, but then:

On the basis of the progress of recent devices, moving
forward we are thinking to push into publishing games on
smart phones and tablets, which we had hitherto only
published on game consoles, in particular our strong‐point of
single‐player, story‐driven games, etc. I have already given
these instructions to our development teams, and we are moving ahead with this effort.
Until now we have published games on these devices such as
remakes of our old titles or turning our old franchises into
social games, but going forward, in addition to these efforts,
we will create new game titles of similar type.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Then, also:

The third initiative is “Regionality.”
While we had been making investments in the game
development under the assumption that major titles would
sell a lot worldwide, however, we have found it extremely
difficult to achieve. We created our budgets on the basis that
our games would be sold worldwide. We had not given much
consideration of the regionality of each market, and had
focused more on how to sell the major titles globally;
however, titles fitting this method are limited.
Many of the titles that we decided to cancel or reexamine
in the fiscal year ended March 2013 had been based in that way of thinking.
As the sheer amount of and diversification of game and
entertainment products is increasing, I believe it is difficult to
move forward on the assumption that many products can
cover the tastes of the entire world, and sell across the entire
world.
Of course, we will continue to invest in flagship titles that
showcase our technological prowess, pursuing high‐end game
quality, and which can earn profits on a global basis. Regarding
a number of these types of titles, we will share information
with everyone at this year's E3.
That said, we cannot reasonably finance this direction for
every single title, and we have to think about our entire
product portfolio.

Goodbye Final Fantasy spin-offs, forever. And ever.

The full document is linked in that article. But man, the entire thing is just horrible to read. There's a real emphasis on the different tastes in each region and how they're "solidly implementing regionality" which just spells "we're not releasing some games in Japan and others outside Japan" which is the exact opposite of what we've always wanted them to do.

I have the fear.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Pro Adventurer
In this week’s roundup: Square Enix want to make profit even before games are released; the President of their American division moves on; a new and obscure sidequest in Final Fantasy IX is discovered; plus lots from our forum.

Three hat-tips this week. Thanks for your help in putting it together :)

Fangu

Great Old One
I'm just curious about this little snippet posted on Facebook:
It still hasn't occurred to them that they could just, you know, make better games and give fans what they want.
This seems kind of opinionated. Are we sticking to the 'newspaper' model, or is the Facebook page considered less bound to those 'rules'?

Top Bottom