XBoxOne

Lex

Administrator
this entire generation so far is completely underwhelming i feel like a bitter 90 year old woman waving a cane everyone everyone get off my lawn

The image of this made me laugh so much. Thank you, I've had a shitty night <3

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
is there anything more hilarious than a 90 year old lesbian screaming on her porch? if there is i dont wanna know about it :monster:

Sony came out in support of used games during the PS4 announcement

they certainly did, buuuut that doesn't mean that isn't going to come with some sort of asterisk (sure, you can play your used game on our platform!! with a fee!!)

the fact that they are refraining from making any solid statements on the matter is what's making me so edgy. they're in a really good position to destroy xbox by simply confirming none of these fees/drm bullshit exists for their console, but they aren't. it very well could be that they're simply waiting for e3 to release more hardware information and we can all breathe easy, but sitting back and letting microsoft take the brunt of the heat for the weeks leading up to the con so the blow is softened on their end would be exactly what i would do if i was sony. if anything, i'll hand it to them that they've been a lot smarter about the whole thing.

either way i dont trust anybody

game of consoles

you win or you pay a $20 fee to play again

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
they certainly did, buuuut that doesn't mean that isn't going to come with some sort of asterisk (sure, you can play your used game on our platform!! with a fee!!)

the fact that they are refraining from making any solid statements on the matter is what's making me so edgy. they're in a really good position to destroy xbox by simply confirming none of these fees/drm bullshit exists for their console, but they aren't. it very well could be that they're simply waiting for e3 to release more hardware information and we can all breathe easy, but sitting back and letting microsoft take the brunt of the heat for the weeks leading up to the con so the blow is softened on their end would be exactly what i would do if i was sony. if anything, i'll hand it to them that they've been a lot smarter about the whole thing.

either way i dont trust anybody

game of consoles

you win or you pay a $20 fee to play again

More than anything, it's Shuhei Yoshida's quote from back in February about used games from an interview with Eurogamer that makes me think that Sony's on the right track still, "Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."

That doesn't sound like something where they'd be taking on a fee, especially not after seeing the backlash that Microsoft's been getting for implementing that type of a system, and how limiting it is to the game's owner. Granted, I can't speak with any degree of certainty until they come out with it at E3, but from watching both presentations live, it seems like Sony has a much better idea of what the gamer/developer communities and want and how to achieve it than Microsoft does at this point.

Microsoft's goal seems to be attempting to establish themselves as an early competitor against technologies that're in fledgling stages, and may never take off like Apple/Google TV, rather than focusing on their system catering to the gaming demographic. This is the opposite of what Sony's been doing with the PS4. That outlook could change at E3, but I'd be REALLY surprised if it changed much aside from just announcing titles and exclusives.

X :neo:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'm hoping you're right, X, and it certainly would be the smart thing on Sony's end -- but I'll be remaining skeptical with Zee for now. I certainly am not throwing my support behind any of these systems until we know more.

As far as I know, the Wii U still kind of sucks anyway, and the PS4 is an unknown quantity.

Marcus

Consumed By Darkness
AJS7VHe.gif

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
i am going to use this opportunity to stick with the current generation a bit longer, get me a cheap 360 when the price drops and wait for some undetermined point in the future when the next generation doesn't look so scary

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
More than anything, it's Shuhei Yoshida's quote from back in February about used games from an interview with Eurogamer that makes me think that Sony's on the right track still, "Yes. That's the general expectation by consumers," said Yoshida. "They purchase physical form, they want to use it everywhere, right? So that's my expectation."

That doesn't sound like something where they'd be taking on a fee, especially not after seeing the backlash that Microsoft's been getting for implementing that type of a system, and how limiting it is to the game's owner. Granted, I can't speak with any degree of certainty until they come out with it at E3, but from watching both presentations live, it seems like Sony has a much better idea of what the gamer/developer communities and want and how to achieve it than Microsoft does at this point.

Microsoft's goal seems to be attempting to establish themselves as an early competitor against technologies that're in fledgling stages, and may never take off like Apple/Google TV, rather than focusing on their system catering to the gaming demographic. This is the opposite of what Sony's been doing with the PS4. That outlook could change at E3, but I'd be REALLY surprised if it changed much aside from just announcing titles and exclusives.

Not to mention Sony currently completely supports game sharing on the PS3 (so as long as the game developer does). When you download a game on the PS3 it says you can share it with as many people as you like, just to remember if the original account that downloaded it gets deleted the game purchase gets lost in the void.
Sure certain games only allow limited shares, some not at all, and others let you share it a million times. But as far as I know Sony is the only company that knowingly allows this and even mentions it in its download policy.

During the PS4 unveil I probably heard the term "share" as many times as I heard "tv" on the Xboxone unveil. Sure the "share" was in regards to showing off gameplay, but I personally feel like if Sony did drop a DRM bomb it would be counter intuitive to everythign they have been doing up to this point.

Toss in the fact that Sony has openly shared there disdain with Microsoft trying to take quick digs at customers pockets (whe MS was developing software to charge for Fast forward/Rewind on DVR's), it just really wouldnt make sense to see them do a 180 at E3.

Splintered

unsavory tart
&#8220;Xbox One will surprise the world during E3,&#8221; Davidson said in a recent interview, and added, &#8220;We will kill Sony at E3&#8243;.
http://www.gamechup.com/microsoft-xbox-one-will-surprise-the-world-at-e3/

So we might actually see some of the promised fifteen exclusives. They are going to have to work overtime to make up for that marketing nightmare, but they probably never did give up hardcore gaming. But without the antiused game marketplace I still think it's pretty non gamer friendly. Maybe they'll try to modify it somehow?

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
They're going to kill Sony.... with laughter.

Microsoft is so fucking out of step with reality, I can't take anything they say seriously.

They better re-write all their BS anti-consumer/gamer "add ons" to this overpriced paperweight otherwise no one will give a damn.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
http://www.gamechup.com/microsoft-xbox-one-will-surprise-the-world-at-e3/

So we might actually see some of the promised fifteen exclusives. They are going to have to work overtime to make up for that marketing nightmare, but they probably never did give up hardcore gaming. But without the antiused game marketplace I still think it's pretty non gamer friendly. Maybe they'll try to modify it somehow?

i'm gonna call it right now

they'll release the xbox one ~slim~ down the line without any of these stupid restrictions on used games

the slim will also be cheaper then the console was at launch. they'll take over times square and macy's again to promote it. if MS manages to dupe people into buying a console that restricts used games (and they will) this thing will sell like fucking hotcakes. then the president will roll around in a pile of money like scrooge mcduck while prince plays in the background.

Hisako

&#28040;&#12360;&#12394;&#12356;&#12402;&#12373;&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon

close enough :awesome:

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting a Bone anyways.

I think the Wii U will be a strong presence in the current gen despite its limitations once its games library gets going. I remember a lot of folks poo-pooing the 3DS before it exploded.

I'm still curious about PS4, but I want more concrete details.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Hot damn. This console sounds shittier and shittier with each passing day.

Here's a recap:

• The console must connect to the internet once every 24 hours in order for you to play games. For many people, from military personnel to students, that's an inconvenience, maybe even an impossibility. Never mind what happens to everybody's console if Microsoft's servers ever come down.
  • The Xbox One will allow the sale of used games, at "participating retailers", but only if the publisher allows it. Publishers being the very people opposed most fiercely to used video game sales.
  • There are restrictions on how you can "give" and "loan" your games away. What's more, lending won't be available at launch, with Microsoft still "exploring the possibilities with our partners".

Even some of the "good" news is really just "not as bad news". Or "an avoidance of bad news".

• Responding to fears over privacy issues surrounding the "always on" Kinect, Microsoft says you can turn the Kinect off.

Leaving the sole piece of "oh, OK, that's pretty cool news" to be:

• You can have up to ten people in your Xbox One "family", and can share all your content among them, regardless of which console they're using.

My favorite thing with the Kinect is that when it's "Off," ALL it listens for is "Xbox On." ...Then it's freaking listening you idiots! I'm sure no hacker could EVER figure that out.

And I love the "NOT US! BLAME THE PUBLISHER IF YOUR USED/BORROWED GAME WON'T WORK!"

And that internet call-in thing is completely horrible. Like he says, military are screwed, as are everyone if Microsoft's servers are down. And imagine this - you haven't signed on in a couple days, you turn it on one night and your internet happens to be down, but you're looking to play a single player game. WELP, TOO BAD!

What a piece of dogshit. You couldn't GIVE me one of these things. Boy do I hope no one buys this thing.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
It's quite an accomplishment form Microsoft to have managed to make the Xbox One look worse than it did on the reveal conference.

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
Who else can't wait to see how E3 goes down?

Aside from what Microsoft can do to cram another shit deal into their console, I can't wait to see if Sony takes every MIRIAD of opportunities that they have to just hit Microsoft where it hurts for all the XboxOne's shit functionalities. I really can't imagine what sort of direct-from-Heaven-console-saving-game-titles they could POSSIBLY have for E3 that would make people overlook all of this flaming horseshit.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
I find myself fearful that Sony will be too dumb to capitalize on this. Seriously, ALL they have to do is walk up on stage and say, "Yeah...we're nto gonna do any o' that shit. Enjoy your games," and leave. And bam, game over. Publishers could threaten to no support them all they want, but call their bluff. Sony can survive on their own devs long enough that people would buy the not-shit console and publishers would have to come crawling back.

If Sony IS as stupid as I fear. Then it's going to be a loonnng console generation. And probably the last (except for Nintendo).

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
I really hope this is the year that Valve go 'Surprise we're launching our console this year' and all of Sony and Microsoft's hopes and dreams shatter and fall to the earth.

Top Bottom