XBoxOne

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
^Also the old headsets wont work as the headphone jack is a different size now :monster:

So to play online properly you need XBL gold (first year is not free despite a popular rumor), need to buy a new headset separately as well.
Thats easily over 600$ just to play online normaly lol.

To be fair they've streamlined the headset process. In the past in order to get chat and headphone audio from the game you needed like, a bajillion different cables.

This time around it seems the Kinect is handling everything headset-related, I think, so it should cut most of that cable shit out. :monster:
Also, maybe the standard Xbox headsets won't be so garbage this time around.

btw, where is that $600 coming from?

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Console price+ XBLG+Head set.

Kinect mic doesnt cut it (neither does PS eye) for proper online gameplay. Headset or bust.

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Satsu, BRIAN BLESSED, MIGHTY AND WISE Junpei Iori: Ace Detective, Maccaffrickstonson von Lichtenstafford Frabenschnaben, Polite Krogan, Robert Baratheon
Oh. From what you were saying I thought you meant that it would cost 600 dollars just to get the rig playing online :monster:

Also, I dunno. No-one's had the chance to try the new Kinect 2.0 (or the new PS Eye for that matter) in an actual gaming environment. The consoles are supposed to be built around them this time around, so maybe it'll surprise us.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Oh. From what you were saying I thought you meant that it would cost 600 dollars just to get the rig playing online :monster:

Also, I dunno. No-one's had the chance to try the new Kinect 2.0 (or the new PS Eye for that matter) in an actual gaming environment. The consoles are supposed to be built around them this time around, so maybe it'll surprise us.

Now, why does that sound familiar? :awesome:

Hisako

消えないひさ&#
AKA
Except that it applies to these peripherals in particular. The first Kinect was a crock of shit because a) it had been developed as an afterthought to the 360 and thus the port used to connect to it was shithouse, and b) because it was added as an afterthought, developers didn't know shit what to do with it.

It's entirely possible that this new iteration could just be as shitty as the last one, but it could also genuinely improve the gaming experience, like Wii-Motion Plus did.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Well the reason I say the Kinect (and eye) wont cut it for online gameplay is because generally its noise canceling technology most likely wont be up to snuff.

Sure they have mentioned it will be improved... but having a hd microphone right next to TV speakers is a recipe for disaster. I dont know how often you guys play online, but for me as a user who uses high end headphones to hear things like , foot steps, tanks rolling up, an enemy switching weapons or taking out defibrilators, medic packs so i know when to rush in... Hearing someones echo and reverb coming from there ps eye/kinect because the tv is to damn loud on there end is BEYOND frustrating.

Furthermore it will have to use a wider range of voice recognition to pick up human voice due to its average location being 6 feet away from the gamer. What this means is that it will most likely pick up every other human voice in the room. You know what else is beyond frustrating? Other gamers family members, stoner friends, annoying significant other and what have you talking about things you really dont want to hear in the BG.

Beyond that for the competitive player this just means another cost. Being a competitive player usually means having just as much audio fidelity as video fidelity and that means having a high end head set to catch all of the subtle sounds in a game to take advantage of.

Generally speaking tv speakers arent good enough to properly transmit alot of these subtle sounds well enough for a player to react upon.

With the new headphone jack alot of players will either have to wait/hope there headset manufacturer will sell/make an adapter for there headset or in some cases will have to buy an entirely new headset.

Luckily Astros have gone on record saying they will develope an adapter piece for older headphones but Titans and Turtle Beach and a few other companies have been afaik silent on the matter.

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
So it seems I missed quite the news with Microsoft.

Also this:

tumblr_mp2rmhdLQH1qk6i0yo1_500.jpg

Carlie

CltrAltDelicious
AKA
Chloe Frazer
You have to pay a fee every time you play with a new friend and another fee if someone else is playing on your phone.

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
Xbox One Will Need 15-20 Minutes to Download Launch Patch

Want to boot up your new console right after coming back from the midnight launch? Maybe spend some time fixing yourself a late night snack while waiting for the mandatory download.

In an updated interview with Marc Whitten, the chief platform architect of the Xbox One, IGN learned that a first day patch will take about 15 to 20 minutes to install once the system is turned on for the first time.

"We are optimizing Xbox One so that the day one update is as fast as possible," said Whitten. "While we're still finalizing the details, we expect that the download will take between 15 and 20 minutes for most users."

Given that gamers have had ample time to become accustomed to, if not necessarily accepting of, day one patches, it's probably not a deal breaker for most fans. However, given a recent consumer poll by Reuters , where consumers stated they were more likely to buy a PS4 than an Xbox One, this likely isn't going to help bring people over to Microsoft's camp. On the other hand, considering the ridiculous number of pre-orders for both consoles, maybe they don't need it.
Which ever way you slice it the XBone still needs the internet to work, I know most people have the internet these days but still. :nah:

Note: 15-20 minutes to install, you still have to download it first.
What if you have a slow connection?
It takes me an hour to download one gigabyte. It took me days to download Witcher 2 via steam. Days, I'm not exaggerating.

I like this comment:
Oh, good. Because having a few million people all hit a server for the same files at the same time has never gone wrong before.

Maybe I'm being petty, maybe it will go just fine, Microsoft is certainly a company that ought to be able to pull that kind of network infrastructure together, but seriously- and especially given the kerfuffle about requiring Internet access in the first place- is a machine that actually does what it's supposed to do out of the box too much to ask?
(Hard to believe the last post in this thread was 8 months ago, where does the time go? It doesn't seem that long ago we were talking about the Xbone 180.)

Last edited:

Joe

I KEEP MY IDEALS
AKA
Joe, Arcana
(Hard to believe the last post in this thread was 8 months ago, where does the time go? It doesn't seem that long ago we were talking about the Xbone 180.)
I think you're confused, Russell, at the silly American Month/Day/Year system that's in place here.

And yeah most people are used to the day one patch on things and it's nothing we didn't all expect. However it's more than likely that it's gonna be a bitch and a half when everyone is downloading that all at the same time. I foresee people bringing it home and still not playing it until a day later or longer. -_-

Russell

.. ? ..
AKA
King of the Potato People
Yeah it's not that big of a deal, I just hate how everything HAS to revolve around the internet these days.
I feel like an old man, but I remember when games and consoles worked right out of the box. :P

I think you're confused, Russell, at the silly American Month/Day/Year system that's in place here.

I :fail:

Nevermind then. :wacky:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
We write the numbers this way because we say dates like this: October Second, Two Thousand Thirteen. I always get confused when I seen numbers greater the 12 as the first number in dates.

Lex

Administrator
And everyone else gets confused when it's the other way around. We write dates the way we do because it's in ascending order of timescale - day, month, year. Also we say "It's the second [day] of October".

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Yyyyyeah, any popular game that required an internet connection to play or start up has so far failed epically on launch day. I doubt this one will be any different, even if this is Microsoft, who offers large-scale, scalable cloud hosting themselves.

Geostigma

Pro Adventurer
AKA
gabe
Yeah it's not that big of a deal, I just hate how everything HAS to revolve around the internet these days.
I feel like an old man, but I remember when games and consoles worked right out of the box. :P

I :fail:

Nevermind then. :wacky:

Day 1 patches happen due to the companies rushing to put out a release date.
They say Its coming out sometime in November so they have to start manufacturing the supply months prior.

Except they dont start bug testing the OS (or the game) until say October. So you get in a position where they know theres bugs but they cant fix them until all of the games/consoles are in peoples homes.

This can all be avoided if Publishers werent so gun ho on putting out a release date so quickly... or you know.. do beta and bug testing prior to manufacturing.

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
I wouldn't know if it actually happens like you describe it. Any sensible software / product development company tests continuously (and automated) during development. But, the software nowadays is so large and complicated, the bugs just add up, and cannot all be found before releasing. Of course, there's a decent chance that the time spent testing and refining before a release has significantly been reduced, in part due to the growing size of the code and features compared to the consoles of a decade ago, and in part due to the companies knowing they can update the software later on.

Top Bottom