Faith v. 3.0 (Cloti Club)

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
No matter which way they break up the next installments, I think it’s unlikely Aerith’s death and the Lifestream will happen in the same game unless that BS rumor about the rest of the story being covered in part 2 is true so I definitely like the prospect of giving both scenes room to shine

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
The concept of “meant to be” always fascinates me when it’s applied to things that aren’t. I don’t want to make this an LTD thing (if anything, my stance validates both romances as intrinsically connected) but I think the point of Cloud and Aerith is that it isn’t, that’s part of why her death is so impactful. For some, “it’s a fantasy game so not even death can separate them” but...that was the whole point, wasn’t it?

Cloud and Tifa had many things working against them yet they pulled through, while Cloud and Aerith had many things working in their favor but are ultimately kept from each other. The duality of it really surprised me as I generally find love triangles shallow and if this actually was a romance story, it would be really interesting to dive deep into how Cloud’s relationships with both girls compliment each other.

For what it’s worth, Advent Children had a pretty great premise if only the storytelling and characterization wasn’t so weak. But to know that he actually is happy with Tifa makes sense when you consider he already lost one love interest in Aerith and blames himself for that, and that guilt prevents him from fully embracing life with Tifa. He already blames himself for her almost dying at Mt.
Nibel and during Sephiroth’s rampage, of course he’s afraid of losing her too.

It’s weird to me that some people are so against that interpretation of the film when it 1. is pretty much how the creators explained it minus the more clear romantic language and 2. allows for both romances to be validated. So to reduce that story to “Cloud is emo because he wants Aerith but is stuck with Tifa” is pretty unfortunate, though I think a lot of that blame also falls on Square Enix.

iamhorde

Pro Adventurer
The short answer here would be that the devs have said numerous times that they aren't going to be making drastic changes to FF7's story
That initially gave me the most reassurance but then there were subsequent interviews where it seems like they refer to the Remake as the "new FF7 story" and kept teasing us about the unknown journey ahead. Sure, this could simply be a way to keep interest high and discussions going and they are succeeding. I should also stop reading and watching too many fan theories, haha.

I think the reason I’m only like 10% concerned for Tifa’s fate is that the story would have to change so much that it really does stop being a remake. Plus the amount of reverence the devs have for Aerith’s death gives me confidence that they won’t go that far.
Yea, you're right. Just wasn't sure if the devs wanted to replicate another "shocking moment" and the easiest way they could possibly do so is to flip the story around where different characters live and die. That said, it would cease to be FF7 anymore.

Slightly off topic but I do hope they get to develop Aerith and Zack's relationship more in FF7R. I didn't get to play Crisis Core but I watched the cut scenes and what they have together is quite precious. It would certainly make Aerith's death even more heartbreaking and would fit the Reunion theme really well. Aerith reuniting with Zack while true Cloud reunites with Tifa.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
it seems like they refer to the Remake as the "new FF7 story" and kept teasing us about the unknown journey ahead.
The devs, in their infinite smartassery, have placed themselves in a convenient position where they can tease the “new story” and “unknown journey” even if it ends up largely following the OG since we don’t actually know how new/familiar the next parts will be yet...crafty bastards

Slightly off topic but I do hope they get to develop Aerith and Zack's relationship more in FF7R.
I’m conflicted on this as I’m expecting a reunion with Zack to be more tragic than anything (especially if we fight him) but I think even that could make for a good opportunity to learn about their relationship especially if we get a Crisis Core-era flashback or something

Just wasn't sure if the devs wanted to replicate another "shocking moment" and the easiest way they could possibly do so is to flip the story around where different characters live and die.
I would hope having already defeated the remnants of Sephiroth through the Whispers, potentially later defeating Jenova and Sephiroth permanently, and maybe even preventing Cloud from falling into depression this time around would mean he could actually live with Tifa in peace...or they go full despair and just kill everybody in the end :monster:

Last edited:

Edley

Pray for Sound
AKA
Issac Dian, Dudley, Chev Chelios
The devs, in their infinite smartassery, have placed themselves in a convenient position where they can tease the “new story” and “unknown journey” even if it ends up largely following the OG since we don’t actually know how new/familiar the next parts will be yet...crafty bastards

I’m conflicted on this as I’m expecting a reunion with Zack to be more tragic than anything (especially if we fight him) but I think even that could make for a good opportunity to learn about their relationship especially if we get a Crisis Core-era flashback or something

I would hope having already defeated the remnants of Sephiroth through the Whispers, potentially later defeating Jenova and Sephiroth permanently, and maybe even preventing Cloud from falling into depression this time around would mean he could actually live with Tifa in peace...or they go full despair and just kill everybody in the end :monster:

This TBH. The more I think about it, I kinda expect Cloud to more explicitly and fully come under Sephiroth's control in this story (beyond the Aerith attacks). It doesn't irrevocably change the story if he fights the party before falling into the lifestream and making his comeback. Also we need to see a scene where the rest of the crew assuming Cloud and Tifa are dead when they fall into the green.

iamhorde

Pro Adventurer
The Cloti Zine is now accepting pre-orders for anyone who may be interested. The limited bundle was sold out within a day!

Seems like SE has some big plans for Zack.

Top Bottom