SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 14 Spoiler Discussion

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Finally gotten through chapter 14! Time for some impressions....

Overall, I enjoyed this chapter. Typical chapter where the world opens to side-quests before you get engaged into the final dungeon.

- I got the Tifa scene. It was brilliantly executed. How she breaks into tears after having held it all in during the previous chapter, and the line 'they destroyed our home - again' had a lot of weight.
- I was curious after I heard about the other scenes with Barret and Aerith, and watched them on YouTube. All of them are great! I feel like they all should be canon.
- I was so happy with the visuals of the Wall Market by daylight. It looks so shiny and vibrant by night, and so much like... well, the rest of the slums by day, I loved that contrast. It reminded me of my overnight stay in Vegas where all the lights look amazing by night and everything looks like cheap movie props by day.
- Mireille, you got to do better at educating your grand-daughter. Seriously.
- I loved the final dialogue between Johnny and Tifa "I'll leave Midgar... but if you begged me to stay, I'll reconsider throwing everything away..." -> "Good luck out there, Johnny!" :lol: This game really has some memorable lines.
- I really didn't mind the side-questing. However, I come to this thread only to find that I had missed Bahamut 0!? WTF!? I thought I had completed all side-quests! Oh well, there will always be a second playthrough :mon:
- Got that shiny Leviathan materia, however.
- On another note, personally I don't like grinding at all. It kind of feels like a chore to me. IMO if you have to grind in a game, then it means the difficulty isn't balanced properly.
- My spouse was gutted because she did 44 pull-ups with Tifa and lost on a tie... and then later I managed to beat Jules while scoring only 43 :mon:
- The Leslie arc was alright, IMO.

And that's about it (for now). Also gotten through chapter 15 but I'll post about that tomorrow.

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
From a purely lore perspective, this seems ridiculous. The memories and knowledge of the lifestream came together, crystallised and not you too can call forth the power of... Getting you steps in!

From a gameplay perspective I thought it was genius to receive the Pedometer materia in Chapter 14 since it features the most sidequests. It's an incentive for all the running around you have to do.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
In my own playthrough I got the Aerith scene, but someone I'm watching play it got Tifa. I liked the Aerith scene, but the Tifa one is amazing! Its completely heart breaking, and has a level of emotional vulnerability I don't think we've ever seen before with these characters. I'm honestly kind of upset that its optional!

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I never hated the Compilation voice actors or their performances, in fact some of them I still love today.

But the voice acting is on a higher level of existence in this Remake. They're fucking divine. It's beyond anything FFVII has ever had, and I love them. I'm so glad we have a superior quality dub now.

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I never hated the Compilation voice actors or their performances, in fact some of them I still love today.

But the voice acting is on a higher level of existence in this Remake. They're fucking divine. It's beyond anything FFVII has ever had, and I love them. I'm so glad we have a superior quality dub now.
Couldn't agree more. I liked a few of the comp actors a lot, but none of them were ever able to escape sounding like "anime robots," as Max put it. Cody in particular actually sounds a lot like Steve Burton to me, but if he had actual range and the ability to emote. I know a lot of that was down to the direction, but still.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I actually sorta prefer the new Sephiroth, by a small margin.

George Newburn really improved over the years and was great near the end of his portrayal of the character. But Tyler Hoechlin nailed it out the park in the Remake. And his delivery of certain lines in the game are just incredible. Easily the best dub we've heard in a long, long time.

Via Purifico

Pro Adventurer
In my own playthrough I got the Aerith scene, but someone I'm watching play it got Tifa. I liked the Aerith scene, but the Tifa one is amazing! Its completely heart breaking, and has a level of emotional vulnerability I don't think we've ever seen before with these characters. I'm honestly kind of upset that its optional!
I think if Square is clever they'd add a couple of lines in the next part that confirms all three events took place that night making them all canon and the only reason we could only get one is for replay value.

Mayo Master

Pro Adventurer
Oh you gotta be shitting me...
Now it makes sense why everyone keeps saying this is the boss to look out for when I get to hard mode. Good thing I already have Arise lol

Wow, something to look forward to... or not.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention (still for the Normal playthrough): I had just equipped Barret with the Wrecking Ball, right before landing into the fight vs Tonberry.... with 3 melee characters.
RIP.
I need a Raise.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
IIRC (its been a couple days), Tonberry selects his target based on who you are currently controlling, which should make it easier to figure out who to throw a phoenix down to. Definitely have at least one ATB charged up at all times for Tonberry for that (and also just one atb in general for emergency healing)

Wol

None Shall Remember Those Who Do Not Fight
AKA
Rosarian Shield
I actually sorta prefer the new Sephiroth, by a small margin.

George Newburn really improved over the years and was great near the end of his portrayal of the character. But Tyler Hoechlin nailed it out the park in the Remake. And his delivery of certain lines in the game are just incredible. Easily the best dub we've heard in a long, long time.
Yeah gotta admit the delivery its pretty good.

"Cloud, there's still so much to be done"

"Let us defy destiny together.."

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Tyler Hoechlin's voice is an ideal middle ground between Newbern's eerie stoicism and aloofness, and Lance Bass's lighter, arrogant but almost sensual at the same time melodrama.

I've always had a weird soft spot for Lance Bass as Sephiroth, because his voice is closest to what I thought Sephiroth sounded like when I was kid and first played through the game. Newbern really grew on me after Crisis Core, he made Sephiroth likable, but i found his post-madness Sephiroth a bit lacking.

Hoechlin has the best mixture between cold and badass and seductive and gloating. Like, Hoechlin's Sephiroth can do this incredibly melodramatic pose and still be completely in character, where I always felt Newbern's Sephiroth couldn't without seeming funny:

AerithDeath1.jpg

Sasseli

~*:Newbie:*~
Behemoth is too much for me...
Anyone have a good tactic against it? I generally suck at battle techniques, even more so when the opponent is such a son of a... seriously, the lower body heals itself after I took so much pain crippling it in the first place??! :rage:

@Sasseli
If I recall, the AI of the Type-0 Behemoth hones in on the character you are currently controlling. Distract the Behemoth with one player character, then when the Behemoth is launching and doing its attack animation, switch to the other characters and attack from the sides or behind. Rinse and repeat.

For difficult battles it can also be a good safety measure to equip Barrier + Magnify so you may easily cast Barrier/Manaward/Manawall on all your teammates. Or if you prefer, equip Healing + Magnify so you may heal all characters at once.

Since most of Type-0 Behemoth's attacks are physical-based, I suggest prioritizing physical defense and not focusing on magic defense.

The more important question though is perhaps how we might convince the doctor to stop the superstitious practice of grinding down animal/monster horns for medicine. What is this, an endorsement of ancient east-Asian medicine that is causing the extinction of countless species? :wacky: Not to mention that using the horn of a roided-up Behemoth could mean all sorts of unintended side-effects, ranging from fatal mako poisoning to the fate-worse-than-death called "Loveless-tourettes syndrome".

Top Bottom