SPOILERS FFVII:R Chapter 14 Spoiler Discussion

ForceStealer

Double Growth
By the way is there only Magnify materia in the entire game?

Yes

I only ever used Magnify with offensive spell materia through my (Normal) playthrough. Which is interesting because I usually consider myself a fairly defensive gamer.
But Aerith double casting Thundaga-All and filling the room with lightning is immensely satisfying.

I only ever found one Magnify and one Elemental in my entire playthrough. Feels like the game is intentionally limiting your customization options here to force you to make choices.

There are two Elemental Materia. You get the second one for completing all the Chapter 14 quests.
In a letter from the Angel sitting on the ground on your way to the AVALANCHE wall

How immensely frustrating that even though I cleared all sidequests in Ch14 and scoured the areas over and over, I still managed to miss that Elemental materia. Gosh darn it.

One thing I did not miss out on though was this elderly couple in the church.

Man: Come to think of it, I haven't seen Aerith around lately.​
Woman: You don't need to worry about her. I'm sure she's out there, doing her part to help the wounded.​
(Don't remember which one) : May all those suffering find refuge...​
(Don't remember which one) : And may the fallen find their way to the planet's loving embrace...​

I enjoy that there are multiple NPCs in prayer pose in FFVIIR, praying both for the safety of their loved ones and for the souls of those who died. In OG and Compilation canon, Aerith has almost a monopoly on the prayer pose. One exception would be the mourning lady in Gongaga who appears to be kneeling in a prayer pose in front of a grave.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
lol, the game made such a big deal about that materia you ALMOST got when the bridge collapsed I knew I wasn't leaving hte area until I got it :lol:

I thought Barret was referring to the Ifrit materia. I went back and got that one and assumed I was good to go. I guess I completely forgot about the Elemental when I was about to head to Chapter 7

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
Or maybe they are normally there (since the pews are present in Crisis Core) and Aerith had removed them for some cleaning or such?
Oh wait, d’oh I forgot that the pews are also present at the beginning of Chapter 8, they just get destroyed before the Reno fight starts proper (though the animation visual continuity isn’t perfect as it only shows Cloud explicitly destroy one row/side of pews). So someone just gets new ones to replace the old destroyed ones (which are then destined to be partially destroyed by Tifa and Loz).

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
Did anyone else feel really, really bad for the little Tonberry that Corneo's flunkies deployed in that side quest?

The enemy Intel on it was awful, bought on the black market. And he was just standing there beforehand all peaceful like.

I was heartbroken killing the little guy :(

That tonberry would slit you with a broken bottle for two pins. Don't let their cute faces fool you. They hate everything and everyone. Why do you think their attack is called 'everybody's grudge'? They're nothing but festering toxic cesspools of rage and spite. They murder small children.

PS I really like the idea that there is a black market in trading 'battle' animals that are rare or endangered species. Canon accepted!

ForceStealer

Double Growth
That tonberry would slit you with a broken bottle for two pins. Don't let their cute faces fool you. They hate everything and everyone. Why do you think their attack is called 'everybody's grudge'? They're nothing but festering toxic cesspools of rage and spite. They murder small children.

Buy yours today!
4988601325929.jpg

Odysseus

Ninja Potato
AKA
Ody
I remember when I first played FF7 and got to the north crater. I was pretty unfamiliar with Final Fantasy tropes at the time, so I didn't know what a Tonberry was. So I get into a fight with one, and I notice it looks a lot cuter and friendlier than the other enemies, and I'm just like "oh, maybe this is one of those friendly enemies." I thought it might do something nice if I waited for it, I'd played other RPGs with enemies like that. So I just let the thing waltz right up to me. Then it shanks Tifa and she dies instantly. At that moment I learned for the first time what true betrayal felt like. So yeah, no sympathy for no tonberries from this guy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom