• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

Clean Cut Chaos

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cub Chaos
His chin and jaw look too soft and feminine and overall he doesn't look old enough. I was hoping for more in the way of bone structure in the face. Basically he just doesn't look virile enough.

I had always seen him as the older and more mature member of the Turks. I was also kind of surprised at how young he looked. I don't mind one way or another though. Also I didn't know he had a dot on his head.

ForceStealer

Double Growth
Probably a birthmark. It is in the original concept art, just for the record, but EM's right in that you can't see it on his FF7 model.
latest

I will say his jawline in the remake seems to match this art pretty well. But I suppose the broader shoulders here help.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Well, seeing as it's a fictional universe, I wouldn't be too hasty to attach any kind of meaning to it, religious or otherwise. It could just be a birthmark. Or a tattoo. Or whatever.

Clean Cut Chaos

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cub Chaos
Well, seeing as it's a fictional universe, I wouldn't be too hasty to attach any kind of meaning to it, religious or otherwise. It could just be a birthmark. Or a tattoo. Or whatever.
I'd like to think that too, but Tifa has a huge Texas sign in her bar, Don's place is decorated with some ancient Chinese dragons, and isn't Yuffie Shinto? It is what it is I suppose.

Yes he does look like his art, but his art is a cartoon whereas the Remake is supposed to be realistic. It's real uncanny valley territory for me. One of the things I liked about FFXV was that the realistic human beings were a match for their surroundings. I realise SE have made a different stylistic choice for FFVIIR. It's just not the one I'd have made. Anyway, I'm not about to abandon my love for Tseng over it.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover
The "dot" on Tsengs head is described as Tilak or Tilaka, in Hinduism it's worn on a daily basis or for rites of passage or special religious occasions only, depending on regional customs.

Strange... I always thought Tseng is Wutainese, but on his wiki page is nothing written that hints about his origins... all those years... I remembered it wrong... IT CAN'T BE!!!!! :aah:

Clean Cut Chaos

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cub Chaos
The "dot" on Tsengs head is described as Tilak or Tilaka, in Hinduism it's worn on a daily basis or for rites of passage or special religious occasions only, depending on regional customs.

Strange... I always thought Tseng is Wutainese, but on his wiki page is nothing written that hints about his origins... all those years... I remembered it wrong... IT CAN'T BE!!!!! :aah:
Where you see this?

Also I think you can see some Indian influence in other areas. Whenever you open a door to a bathroom and the same person is always in there for days, they definitely ate a bunch of Indian food.

Well... (adjusts spectacles)... Tseng being from Wutai is just a really pervasive fanon. Wutai is widely identified with China/Japan, Tseng has a Chinese name, and his sprite looks vaguely Asian in the sense that he has long black hair, so... Plus, most fans who care about this character quite enjoy the thought that he exists in a perpetual state of existential angst and uncertainty due to the tension between his ethnicity and culture and his personal dedication to the evil capitalist empire that destroyed his homeland.

But no, canonically he's not from Wutai. On the other hand, he's not not from Wutai either. And I really really hope SE leaves it like that. No backstory thanks.

I've never collated the various fics that specifically address the origins of that tilak ( is it the 'mark of the bastard'? The 'mark of the traitor'? Symbol of the religious priesthood that raised him before he defected to Shinra? Just a really fortuitous mole?) but maybe I should. It's not like I have important things to do or anything...

I have never had that reaction to Indian food. Just saying.

OdaDaimyO

Conqueror of Sugar
AKA
Mochi Lover

Clean Cut Chaos

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Cub Chaos
Nice thanks! Wonder if me being completely unfamiliar with anything other than the OG FF7 would help or hinder my experience in the remake. I know it's being made with newcomers in mind, but maybe those more familiar with the lore will appreciate it more?

Roundhouse

Pro Adventurer
I like that picture above...it has that 90's anime/manga feel to it. They all look cool.

As for the backstory stuff, I would love that for some areas of FFVII, but maybe not for every single element. Sometimes preserving the mystery is a critical part of an experience. In regard to the Turks, I actually wouldn't mind if they left their background mysterious. (It could still work if they chose to flesh it out a bit, but you'd have to be careful.) I wouldn't mind knowing more about Tifa's training and 'Zangan' style, though. Zangan is barely seen in the original game, haha. (It's also interesting that he wasn't cut down by Sephiroth during the Nibelheim massacre.)

cold_spirit

he/him
AKA
Alex T
His chin and jaw look too soft and feminine and overall he doesn't look old enough. I was hoping for more in the way of bone structure in the face. Basically he just doesn't look virile enough.

I think looking young works in Tseng’s favor. He has watched over Aerith since she was a kid and there’s even a hint of romantic interest from Tseng towards Aerith in the OG, so the closer he is to her age the better. Otherwise I’d find things a bit weird.

I also like the idea that the youngest looking Turk is also the most mature and stern.

Top Bottom