SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

billy22

Pro Adventurer
I'm not talking about your goddamn ship, I meant in general. How did you feel about it?

At first I hated it, then I didn't know how to feel about it, and now after reading a large part of the Ultimania I still don't know how to feel about it. You seemed happy about the Remake as Licorice pointed out, so I was idly wondering if that sentiment included the ending.

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
Mood rn:
aerith_not this shit again.png

Beauty, fun, flirting, & flowers. Magnetism, electricity, and excitement. Soulmates reunited (the automatic trophy for the "Budding Bodyguard" chapter is "Reunion"):
The bolded part. That's "love" for you? That's... a very narrow concept of love.
Yeah, no wonder LTD exists. We can't even agree that love is different for different people. :wacky::wacky:

Aerith’s Church & flower bed is beautiful. Cloud & Aerith poetically run through the breathtaking rooftops. Cloud saves Aerith from falling (holding her like a Prince holds his Princess). They pick flowers together at her house. Give high-fives in the tunnel. Share a date in the park. Fight in the battle arena. Cloud even dresses up as a girl. Aerith watches Cloud dance. The red dress. Fireworks. Magic. Chemistry. Love.
The perfectly constructed romantic progression.
That's, like, your opinion man. My "perfectly constructed romantic progression" involves emotinal closeness, not Hollywood clichés.

Then, after ALL that, Cloud is obsessed with rescuing Aerith from Shinra HQ. Cloud has to constantly remind Tifa & Barret that finding Aerith is the #1 priority.
That's simply not true. Tifa and Barret go because they feel she's calling them, too. Tifa and Aerith share awesome moments together and their bond is budding beautifully, and Barret has a soft spot for Aerith. Their resolve is unwavering, just like Cloud's. They all want to free her.

At the very end, Aerith is the one who confronts Sephiroth and asks everyone to join her in stopping him. Unlike Tifa, Aerith is the main storyline. Aerith propels the story forward with her Cetra heritage.
And here it is. :mon:

Cloud x Aerith is literally given a dream scene where Cloud states he wants his OWN SAY on loving Aerith. The dream scene is also found in the credits (unlike the Tifa hug).
By the time Cloud goes from Aerith’s Church, to Wall Market, to Shinra HQ, Tifa’s lackluster moments are long forgotten.
Tifa is given filler scenes during the first few chapters. Her promise scene is muddied within Jessie’s side-mission. In-fact, everything Tifa gets is overshadowed by Jessie, and eventually forgotten after Aerith comes into the picture.
Annnd again... here it is. Can't you people make an argument for you ship without demeaning the other? For once?

After Aerith says Cloud’s love for her isn’t “real,” he completely disagrees with her:
Cloud wants his own say on the matter.
Wouldn't you? She pops up and tells him what to do. It's normal that Cloud is midly annoyed by her. This Cloud talks back a lot of times.

This is SE’s way of telling us the REAL Cloud loves Aerith.
The REAL Cloud doesn't exist yet. Aerith is hinting at that. Pay attention to Aerith.

How do we know Tifa’s scene is platonic?
Nowhere in Tifa’s scene is the word “love” mentioned. Aerith’s scene, however, mentions the word “love.”

I'm starting to pity you, so I'll leave it here.
Edit:words

BlankBeat

Pro Adventurer
Most of your post is saying my opinion is wrong. We can agree to disagree.

However, while in Shinra HQ, Cloud reminds both Tifa & Barret that finding Aerith is the #1 priority. I literally just played the Remake and Cloud reminded them on at least 2 separate occasions.

Furthermore, while outside Shinra HQ, Tifa says it may be a "lost cause."

Luckily, Cloud finally turns into the leader that we need him to be and charges forward with the plan to rescue Aerith. Cloud is her bodyguard, after-all.

PS:

No. That is not what "love" is to me. That is what the beginning of a romantic relationship is. The honeymoon phase.

This is only the 1st installment. Lots more to come ^.^

BlankBeat

Pro Adventurer
Also —

Yes. Cloud isn’t 100% his real self yet.

Aerith is slowly bringing him to the surface with his growing love for her.

Cloud begins to high-five Aerith on the reg. Says he wants his OWN SAY on loving her. Rescues her from Shinra HQ.

“Gradually, Aerith’s warm cheer begins to melt Cloud’s frosty exterior.
It is the heroine, Aerith, who opens Cloud’s eyes, and helps bring him closer to understanding the mystery that is his past.”
~Square Enix​

Later in the compilation, Tifa is jealous of Cloud’s continued REAL feelings for her “love rival” Aerith.

Cloud’s REAL actions & feelings for Aerith in CoT & AC prove Aerith evoked his true self to the surface. Slowly but surely. Just like we see in the Remake.

PS:

Cloud might have continued feelings about Zack, too. But Zack isn’t in the officially described love triangle in the OG gaming manual.

Therefore, Zack is (yet again) an irrelevant counterpoint.

Last edited:

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
wow.....I don't even know what to say.......

Sorry to say this, but a lot of your arguments sound more like "Cloud chose a pink cup to drink his tea, pink is Aerith's color, therefore they love each other". Some of your interpretations are also quite a stretch.

I'll just say this: just because Cloud and Aerith share a moment together or he mentions her name it doesn't necessarily means that it needs to be interpreted in a romantic way or romantic in general (that goes for Cloud and Tifa as well).

billy22

Pro Adventurer
Okay so what is the PINK colored view on her odds of survival this time? In your humble opinion, do you think she will die this time or not? And did you like the ending overall? There is no wrong answer, I want to know what you think.

BlankBeat

Pro Adventurer
Aerith is being downplayed by people saying an ambiguous relationship chart is more valid than Nomura saying Aerith is the original heroine.

Lex

Administrator
Can I remind everyone that the rules for posting in this section are far stricter than elsewhere and - while discourse has remained civil - shitposting isn't taken so lightly in here. Tread carefully.

Aerith is being downplayed by people saying an ambiguous relationship chart is more valid than Nomura saying Aerith is the original heroine.

Are people supposed to ignore the fact that Tifa exists because the first three characters that were written were Cloud, Barret and Aerith? This is something we've known for years? This is a bizarre thing to say.

I am also nearly certain we banned you from the old LTD thread for the constant copypasta from that "clerith bible" you made. I see you're still using it. I would advise you also to tread carefully.

BlankBeat

Pro Adventurer
I’m being told to “tread carefully.” As if everything I posted isn’t relevant to the discussion.

Sorry my quotes offend you so much. Must have struck a nerve.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Just trying to give the PINK colored Clerith point-of-view ^.^

Oh, I'm not trying to stop you on that, but I'm pretty sure you can find plenty of Clerith moments/arguments w/o need to transform the whole plot of FVII into their love story really.

Just be careful, if you distort things too much to justify your (quite reasonable) ship, it will only do more harm than good in actually convince people to understand your point of view.

But then I guess... if that makes you happy and it's how you really see things....who am I to stop you from doing so, right?!

LNK

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Nate
Oh, you sweet summer child. :monster: There's a reason this LTD has such a negative reputation, and why the very rules of this subforum are so belittling of the discussions that take place within it. I remember that when I was on staff, we at one point considered nuking the whole thing from orbit, and the reason it was confined to a subsection with more restrictive rules was to prevent… basically this:

from consuming the entire forum. I think I may actually have at one point been one of the pro-nuking voices (after all, it’s the only way to be sure), but I must’ve eventually been talked down from the ledge, since I posted in support of the new policies shortly after Dacon announced them. I don’t remember all the details; I may have intentionally blocked them from my memory, for the sake of my own sanity. But suffice it to say, there’s a reason the whole subforum is accompanied by a quote from Dante. The whole thing can be… consuming.

:monstercraft:
Lol well damn, that does sound pretty bad.

I guess I'm just thankful that I see both perspectives. While I'm more on the Tifa train, I can see why people are on Aerith's. Shit, if Jessie hadn't died, she'd be in the mix too lol

billy22

Pro Adventurer
I’m being told to “tread carefully.” As if everything I posted isn’t relevant to the discussion.

What is the single strongest Clerith argument, in your opinion, from the Remake? Pick only one, without cheesing the response with an 'all of these.'

Also do you think Aerith will still die this time? Yes, this is relevant. I want to know how you see the future direction of this story unfolding with regards to your ship.

Lex

Administrator

I'm telling you to tread carefully because you were banned from the previous thread for exhibiting exactly this type of behaviour lol. This is me trying to create a door for you to actually be here and discuss what you apparently want to discuss, rather than slamming the door shut on you as we'd be well within our rights to do.

Your attempt to gaslight me here won't work I'm afraid :monster:

BlankBeat

Pro Adventurer
Literally the only two FULL quotes I posted is of Tifa’s jealousy & Aerith melting Cloud’s “frosty exterior.”

Couldn’t you have “warned” me in a PM?

You doing it in the thread is a clear power play.

Top Bottom