SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Rin

Pro Adventurer
I see a lot of people use Cloud breaking out of Sephiroth’s control when he sees the whispers surrounding Aerith as some sort of evidence.

Tifa does the same thing on other occasions, and it’s still not even something I consider as evidence of his love regarding Tifa, personally. There are much bigger examples of what the narrative is trying to tell me when it comes to Tifa and Cloud.

I guess it just bothers me when tiny things are isolated as evidence while the bigger picture is pushed aside.
This is why I don't like the debate because Cloud showing any concern for either girl is now "proof of ship." Why wouldn't he show concern?! They're both his friends. He cares about both of them. But guess what? He only wants to kiss one of them, so case closed!!

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
Looking back, I have to agree. It is strange lol. I feel like Aerith’s role in the story isn’t really prominent until the last couple of chapters? It might even just be at the temple? Because afterwards it goes back to her having a date with Cloud and being about her romantic feelings. Maybe in Part 3 Aerith and Zack will have a bigger role that is more focused on how she does her part in saving the world.

I like to think of Rebirth in the trilogy as “here are the good times” before it gets heavier.
She had her little moments here and there like the Cosmo speech but overall though she didn't feel like she was prominent at all till Temple and everything after that felt rushed to me honestly. I definitely didn't really get a satisfactory Aerith use in this game which was supposed to be her big game.

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
I see a lot of people use Cloud breaking out of Sephiroth’s control when he sees the whispers surrounding Aerith as some sort of evidence.

Tifa does the same thing on other occasions, and it’s still not even something I consider as evidence of his love regarding Tifa, personally. There’s just much bigger examples of what the narrative is trying to tell me when it comes to Tifa and Cloud.

I guess it just bothers me when tiny things are isolated as evidence while the bigger picture is pushed aside.

Because again, they mix "caring about someone" with "being in love with someone"

They don't understand that Cloud can care about Aerith without having other motives. Sorry to bring it again, but it's exactly what Cody said. You don't have to make it all about romance. What's wrong with being supportive of someone who brightens your day without needing to marry them for life?

Cloud cares about everyone. That's the whole point of his journey. As it happens, on this journey we learn that his primary motivation was Tifa. Because he's been in love with her "forever".

It's not that complicated...

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
So if CT is supposed to be the obvious thing that everyone in the party should pick up on, how come in Barret’s GS date, Barret doesn’t know who Cloud likes and is curious to find out?
Because Barret doesn't prod at Cloud like Aerith does. He also didn't give Cloud a flower to give to someone special, to which he saw that Cloud gave it to Tifa.

The character picks Cloud because of HIS actions prior to the GS date/s (the spend time events/quests where he gets to pick which character to go for) the affinity system is being able to influence the other characters based on what choices and actions the players makes Cloud do, first and foremost.
Yes, but Cloud isn't "picking" them. We are. That is the assertion you made. I know it's semantics, but Cloud does not spend time with people thinking "can't wait until I get this person for my GS date". He doesn't expect that from them.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Because Barret doesn't prod at Cloud like Aerith does. He also didn't give Cloud a flower to give to someone special, to which he saw that Cloud gave it to Tifa.

Yes, but Cloud isn't "picking" them. We are. That is the assertion you made. I know it's semantics, but Cloud does not spend time with people thinking "can't wait until I get this person for my GS date". He doesn't expect that from them.
If he was picking any of them ahead of time, you'd think he'd be a little less shocked when they come and check up on him. Even Tifa he's surprised is asking him out.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
The official translation is correct. I can tell you for a fact that section does not mention anything about a beloved, or Aerith, or anything like that.
Ryu, you can translate Japanese, yeah? Just want to double check so I can use you saying this as reference to say "I asked a person who speaks Japanese to translate it and they said it doesn't mention any kind of beloved".

A-to-Z

Lv. 25 Adventurer
You think Cloud is aware he's playing a dating Sim? You think that when Cloud is in Dons dungeon telling Tifa that "We gotta help Aerith!" that he's aware that he's rizzing up Tifa and consciously trying to do that?
That’s not what I’m saying though, I’m just saying Aerith shouldn’t be fully blamed “of not reading the room” when, because of the affinity system, Cloud can’t always act on who he canonically romantically prefers at this point of the story, thus his feelings can also be muddled/confusing for the characters within the game (not confusing for the players bc CT is made obvious through its narrative build-up, but it’s different for the characters in-universe who don’t share the same knowledge and context). You don’t have to agree with me, and I’m not trying to convince you either. People are allowed to criticize Aerith’s writing as a character, but I personally just think it’s unfair to come into conclusions about her or morally condemn her as a person when we aren’t even given context of Aerith and Tifa’s one on one conversations with each other.

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer
You don’t have to agree with me, and I’m not trying to convince you either. People are allowed to criticize Aerith’s writing as a character, but I personally just think it’s unfair to come into conclusions about her or morally condemn her as a person when we aren’t even given context of Aerith and Tifa’s one on one conversations with each other.
I also think it's unfair to judge her by it, but she 100% knows.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
Cloud cares about everyone. That's the whole point of his journey. As it happens, on this journey we learn that his primary motivation was Tifa. Because he's been in love with her "forever".

It's not that complicated...
It really isn’t that complicated. Even going into the game with the preconceived notion that it was just choice based/he had feelings for both- Rebirth really cleared all of that up.

For me personally, I didn’t just choose to like Cloud and Tifa together, that’s just what it is. Rebirth has clearly set up CT and ZA.

If Cloud was in between both girls or had feelings for both I would simply say that. That was my initial position until after Rebirth.

Hellenic

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Hellenic
This is why I don't like the debate because Cloud showing any concern for either girl is now "proof of ship." Why wouldn't he show concern?! They're both his friends. He cares about both of them. But guess what? He only wants to kiss one of them, so case closed!!
He must be in love with everyone from the party when he shows concern then. What a playboy.

MissMDusk

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Mari
This is also why I said Cloud is just a nice person deep down, and that his care for others is unfortunately interpreted as romantic gestures sometimes when out of context. Same with any cold action he makes to the "opposite lover" in the debate when he's obviously not in control of himself.

It's why I can't stand seeing extreme shippers use Cloud pushing Tifa away when he's obviously not himself as some sort of "evidence" as him not loving her. Like, I'm sorry but lmao, you're supposed to think "Oh no, it's gotten really bad!" Not as some one-up in the debate - does he look mentally sane there to you?

I hate it, and it's why I stay off twitter most of the time lol.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Ryu, you can translate Japanese, yeah? Just want to double check so I can use you saying this as reference to say "I asked a person who speaks Japanese to translate it and they said it doesn't mention any kind of beloved".
So, to be extremely literal, it's "something precious, taisestunamono that Sephiroth takes. There's a lot of precious things Sephiroth takes from Cloud. His mother, his hometown, etc. Aerith is among those, but Taisestsunamono does not mean beloved. It could be a beloeved, but it's a very bad way to refer to them.

Last edited:

MissMDusk

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Mari
Yo i just heard a new excuse for the Cloti kiss. This time Cloud kissed her couse he wanted her to shut up. Thoughts :mon: ?
More like shut up her insecurities about her feelings not being reciprocated... With a move that can only prove that her feelings are reciprocated.

Pretty hot, not gonna lie.

But on a real note I find it hilarious that this scene is being swept away all in the name of "fanservice" when it honestly tells me that they would have gotten together whether or not Aerith was alive, which is...lol, basically the answer to this debate but what do I know.

nars305

🎵 I am so, so bored 🎶
More like shut up her insecurities about her feelings not being reciprocated... With a move that can only prove that her feelings are reciprocated.

Pretty hot, not gonna lie.

But on a real note I find it hilarious that this scene is being swept away all in the name of "fanservice" when it honestly tells me that they would have gotten together whether or not Aerith was alive, which is...lol, basically the answer to this debate but what do I know.
I can’t lie, as much as I try to avoid the more toxic parts of the community, the compilation of tweets rubbing it in that Cloud was going to kiss Aerith on the gondola was kind of funny.

That’s why I have no real hopes for the next part. I am just excited to see certain parts in current day graphics.

Even on the Cloti side when I see people say “Cloud and Tifa are gonna BANG in the next game” I’m like oh god please stop. 😭

MissMDusk

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Mari
Even on the Cloti side when I see people say “Cloud and Tifa are gonna BANG in the next game” I’m like oh god please stop. 😭
It's all very weird for what is supposed to be a T rated game... We're not gonna see them naked guys, if anything they might just kiss and lie down lol.

Though speaking of that scene, there was a streamer I was watching (wish I could remember his name) who was making a theory that in the next game, when it does get to the Highwind scene, it would be this emotional high between CT. As they talk about their feelings, the theme song of the game would kick in, it would be this beautiful moment that leads into a kiss (and maybe a hint of them doing more), then it would cut to everyone else finding their reasons to fight, and then it would cut back to CT. Obviously it would be much more beautiful and poetic than I described it, and it would show the different kinds of love within this found family. The way he described his version of the scene sounded so good I want it to be true so bad.

zinniawoods109349

Lv. 1 Adventurer
AKA
zinnia
hello all! i’ve been lurking since rebirth, and this is my first post, but i’m afraid i have a lot to say haha.

zack and aerith have always been my favourite characters since the original in 97, and even though they are my ultimate coupling, i was always into cloud x aerith in that game. this is because tifa was my most disliked character, and i accepted that zack was dead and that aerith could move on. however, i did also accept that, when aerith died, cloud could move on with tifa.

rebirth in particular has made me change my mind about everything completely though, and i wanted to get others’ opinions on a few things regarding this love triangle/square. is it okay to write long posts here? is there a character limit? i’ve never posted on a forum before, so i don’t want to instantly annoy everyone 🙈

Stiggie

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Stiggie
hello all! i’ve been lurking since rebirth, and this is my first post, but i’m afraid i have a lot to say haha.

zack and aerith have always been my favourite characters since the original in 97, and even though they are my ultimate coupling, i was always into cloud x aerith in that game. this is because tifa was my most disliked character, and i accepted that zack was dead and that aerith could move on. however, i did also accept that, when aerith died, cloud could move on with tifa.

rebirth in particular has made me change my mind about everything completely though, and i wanted to get others’ opinions on a few things regarding this love triangle/square. is it okay to write long posts here? is there a character limit? i’ve never posted on a forum before, so i don’t want to instantly annoy everyone 🙈
Write as much as you want I'd say, we've had plenty of long essays here, if someone doesn't wanna read it they'll just scroll past.
I will be interested to hear why Tifa was your most disliked character though because in my honest experience, usually when people say that it's because they either didn't understand her character or else just wanted Aerith to be Clouds love interest instead of her and are kinda projecting that annoyance onto her in spite.

Also, welcome :mon:

abzy1200

Pro Adventurer

Welcome! You are free to tell us basically anything as long as it's respectful, you don't need to worry about the length.

Eerie

Fire and Blood
In the Spanish localization, the dream date world is more explicitly referred to as a place within the lifestream.
From the Japanese, it's more a place between the world of the living and the Lifestream.
It's the first girl that meets the hero syndrome. People like to immediately pair up the protag with the first female lead/character.
This is why they modified Tifa's starting point in Remake, as I have noted after said game: now you have Jessie clearly about Tifa and Cloud's relationship, which happens before you meet even Aerith. The game sets up expectations towards Tifa right in chapter 1, and you get a flashback. So you understand that they've must known each other from childhood but Cloud doesn't really comment, so you're waiting from there on, on the back of your head, to meet with this Tifa.
Also I don’t think the Aerith who smiled at the flower in seventh heaven is our Aerith.
??? Of course she is our Aerith. There's only one different Aerith in Remake and that's in her own resolution, where she already had died and visibly had more knowledge of what went on.
She had her little moments here and there like the Cosmo speech but overall though she didn't feel like she was prominent at all till Temple and everything after that felt rushed to me honestly. I definitely didn't really get a satisfactory Aerith use in this game which was supposed to be her big game.
I agree, I awaited more from Aerith overall but looking back I understand why they wrote her like that - in fact it's Nojima's explanation that made me understand this. And I wish they had followed another path but sadly didn't.
Yo i just heard a new excuse for the Cloti kiss. This time Cloud kissed her couse he wanted her to shut up. Thoughts :mon: ?
I guess what they meant is that Cloud wanted to shut up her insecurities, right? I wonder if one day they'll look back and realise of much mysoginy they poured out in those tweets.
I'm replying as someone who only engages in this forum so please do not be offended. I think what I'm saying is in the same spirit as this post.

I think the thing with Cloud/Aerith is that it is actually super important to the story, which is something the more uh... I want to say psycho C/T shippers often fail consider. It is also engaging to audiences because it relates directly to the thesis statement of the OG. The two are basically the 2 key figures that lead to the planet being saved. Sure, you can argue that Tifa and Zack are part of their individual jouneys. Those character developments give FF7 its own narrative flair. That said, ultimately the lore and the narrative chiefly builds up to the fact that Cloud and Aerith being the saviors of the world.

It makes for a compelling story!

Even though it's not a super complete story at a glance...

Cloud and Aerith do the thing though, ultimately. They had people backing them, sure, but they were the ones who actually did it. For a brief moment, they loved each other, but alas it was not meant to be, because she died. No, in fact, she was murdered! That moment has become more or less, part of the whole FF7 identity.

Cloud and Aerith are pretty much the posterchildren of why the franchise has such a long lasting presence. It's basically why the series has struggled so much with even introducing a new antagonist. None of the sequels have had a great time at introducing a new villain, with Advent Children being the obvious one to point to. If the creators were fully committed to their vision with AC, Sephiroth didn't need to literally show up at all. Obviously the budget needs to justify itself with some dumb extravogent action scene that everyone wants to see. But let's be real, what's even the point of the movie otherwise? The Cloud - Sephiroth drama is so heavily fuelled by the loss of Aerith. The writers are relying so heavily on that pivotal moment, because that's why anyone even wants this dumb Cloud vs. Sephiroth 2.x 7777⁷ power level stupid rematch in the first place. Why else would anyone even care? It becomes so much weird narrative density that the actual emotional core of the story gets completely lost in a sea of ifs and ums of creator statements trying to get across wtf they were even going for.

That... doesn't make for an engaging story now, does it?

Like, listen. I know plenty of normies who love Advent Children much more than I do. This is the same audience who are perfectly capable of understanding something like Noah Bumbach's "Marriage Story," if and when taken on that journey. I just happen to have the dispriveledge of knowing what the fuck the FF7 movie is even about. Try to take to a casual Advent Children watcher, and try to convince them that it was all some big dumbass expensive adventure with the whole point being about Cloud and Tifa working through their relationship problems. Even for people who played the OG and watched Advent Children, there is not a super clear through line to follow, so you end up looking kind of crazy, even though that's the actual literal point of the movie. It's so stupid because I can see how the creators had some humble beginnings, but then it just ballooned, and the budget ballooned, and then some corny exec was like fuck it, we are a zillion dollars in already let's just bring back sephiroth?? so they do, and with him comes all the biggest things he took from the audience, and she's there, but he's there, and...

Look. All I'm saying there's a lot of beauty in the simplicity before so much convolution that is so beyond the expectation for any normal person to follow. Especially when what the expanded story is giving is kinda... lmfao.

I'm not even coming to the discussion as a shipper tbqh. I couldn't really care less, this just happens to be the most active part of the forum lmfao. Sometimes it's really not that much about media literacy. Maybe sometimes we have to be honest about how much depth we allow our media to have. It's something that Rebirth had allowed me embrace in a way that makes me feel happy to talk about FF7 again. These are just my 2 cents I guess. It's a question I really hated how Remake put it. It's something I unironically love about how Rebirth presents itself.
That is a little blindsided and ignoring the big part Tifa has to put her on the same level as Zack. She is NOT on the same level as Zack because she is also an heroine, very much like Aerith. You're basically acting as if Tifa hadn't had a big role too in game.

Without her, you don't save the Planet. Her story and Cloud's story are interwined in such ways that it's impossible to disentangle. This is by design. Because Cloud's character relies on her that much. Which means you can't escape her importance to Cloud, unless you chose to wear blinders, especially during the Lifestream scene, but even Nomura commented how players would feel that the story goes to Tifa before the GS date - most probably the promise scene as well as the little flirt scene in the bar and the way the other NPCs talk about Cloud and Tifa in sector 7 are supposed to lead you to that conclusion.

Sure, Aerith was used as the poster girl in NA. But you seem to think that Tifa's role in the franchise didn't mean anything when it definitely did, and that she too became a huge poster girl for SE in general. At some point, Tifa and CT became more favoured by the fans - a lot of CT do have AC/C as an entry point of the Compilation and understood their relationship without prior knowledge of the game, so I think judging AC/C by its bad writing to oversell CA is maybe a bad move there. The yin/yang visual is a very strong visual that leaves very little to imagination re:their relationship for example - if we're talking about AC alone. ACC is even more pro-CT and ZA.

To be fair when CT say that they don't mean graphically or even as obvious as Clive and Jill, they know it's a T rated game lol. But it's definitely going to be obvious IMHO.

For sure go on :) we love long posts here, I have posted some damned long posts in the past!

Yoru

Pro Adventurer
This is why they modified Tifa's starting point in Remake, as I have noted after said game: now you have Jessie clearly about Tifa and Cloud's relationship, which happens before you meet even Aerith. The game sets up expectations towards Tifa right in chapter 1, and you get a flashback. So you understand that they've must known each other from childhood but Cloud doesn't really comment, so you're waiting from there on, on the back of your head, to meet with this Tifa.

Reminds me of Barret too, who insists on it again before meeting her. "Hurry up and join Tifa, she must be worried."

The teasing and build-up to the first time we meet her in-game is quite noticeable in my opinion.

Top Bottom