SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
But even that statement doesn't make sense. Cloud and Aerith were objectively NEVER "lovers."

Yeah, that was my point. There are people that argue the fact that they were "lovers"

Feels like you all feel some type of way about the koi and the bito.

It was the line Cloud says to Aerith in her Resolution scene. Like @RhinoKart mentioned, I saw it on going around twitter.

@Final_Heaven Some stuff doesn't translate well from Japanese to English, but I do personally feel the English translation is pretty good. Just a few things that got switched up or removed, probably to make the dialog flow more naturally.

A perfect example is: お疲れ様! Otsukaresama

This basically means "thanks for doing a great job" The Japanese work force says this before leaving to go home for the day. It is r ather weird that somethings don't translate well or if at all.

I'm asking about the "The moment Nojima supported the English version ..." bit. When did that happen?

I think it was from an interview that he did a few years back. I have to dig it up.

Last edited:

Cat on Mars

Actually not a cat
I had a friend who was a big Cloud/Aerith shipper. She also told me, in an unrelated conversation, that she hooked up with someone while watching Finding Nemo. Ever since then I had this internal thought that theres some sort of underlying fetishistic appeal connecting Cloud/Aerith to carp/fish.

wha---tumblr_inline_mk9zz7SKj21qz4rgp.pngWhat Zoolander.jpg

I have a theory that many, if not all, Clerith shippers are Disney fans who love Disney's romances (yeah, Pixar, but now everything is Disney so...) and that's why they like the weakest ship with all that "But she changes him with love!" bullshit they adore.

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
No, you misunderstand. I'm taking issue with Nojima. Why did he write that?

Yeah, he didn't say that. That is what I was saying. There are others that say that Nojima said that. But in reality he didn't, it was just a group of peoples "headcanon" and nothing more.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Master Bates

Do you enjoy your life?
AKA
Mr. Koiwai
I had a friend who was a big Cloud/Aerith shipper. She also told me, in an unrelated conversation, that she hooked up with someone while watching Finding Nemo. Ever since then I had this internal thought that theres some sort of underlying fetishistic appeal connecting Cloud/Aerith to carp/fish.

Eh, that sounds really fishy. Are clownfish even carps? I'm sorry I'm not familiar with marine biology.

Speaking of carps, those buggers can grow so big. Like a carp that's well-fed, love too can grow. I dunno what I'm talking about.

MasterMoogle

Pro Adventurer
Yeah, he didn't say that. That is what I was saying. There are others that say that Nojima said that. But in reality he didn't, it was just a group of peoples "headcanon" and nothing more.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

So then what did Nojima mean by koibito? Honestly, I hope the Remake makes things clear, because this much ambiguity is annoying. Although, judging by Aerith's resolution scene, that's not happening.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
Yeah she wasn't one of the carp/koi bito variety of shippers, but was a pretty big oddball in other ways...

She didnt outright tell me. I sort of figured it out. We were texting and she said "bbl gonna watch finding Nemo on this date." Then approx 1.5 hours later she texted "just got laid!!!" I noticed the time difference, and asked "were you banging through the duration of the movie?" She responded explaining thats how she makes her move :rclosedmonster:

anyways, it made for some fantastic inside jokes for a few years. the reminder of this story has given me a few nostalgic laughs :monster:

Graymouse

Pro Adventurer
So then what did Nojima mean by koibito? Honestly, I hope the Remake makes things clear, because this much ambiguity is annoying. Although, judging by Aerith's resolution scene, that's not happening.

So, for this I might have to go down the rabbit hole. I do believe that this is bad translation. Here is the question that I have.

Why is it when koibito is translated for Tifa it's "oh it's actually sweetheart" but when koibito, the SAME word is translated for Aertith all of a sudden it means, "OMG THEY WERE LOVERS!!" You can't have it both ways.

Nojima, never said that they were lovers. It is a bad translation.

This was mentioned earlier.

MasterMoogle

Pro Adventurer
Aerith saw Cloud as a love interest. Simple as that.

IDK, the Aerith resolution scene is Aerith pushing Cloud away from her. This helps the opposing ship.

I could believe she was interested in him, but Aerith never made it seem like it went anything beyond a crush, and of course friendship. Calling him her "koibito" just makes her sound deluded.

The problem of course is that the original game gives the player the ILLUSION of choice, but no matter your choice, Cloud always ends up with Tifa. So Cloud ends up looking like an a-hole, and Aerith ends up looking like an afterthought.

MasterMoogle

Pro Adventurer
They were in my game. While they were levelling up in the Sector 6 broken highway area, they really bonded, and stayed a number of nights at the love motel on the outskirts of Wall Market. That's when Cloud found out what The Sauce was for.

Had you kept the lights on, I'm sure the only person you'd find staring back at you was Johnny. I've been told he has very delicate hands and a waxed torso. Not surprised you thought it was Aerith.

Purple

Charmed
Hamaguchi commented on Clerith? I must’ve missed it. Care to provide a link? @Maidenofwar :)

And Nojima has an Instagram? I didn’t know this too. Lol

ETA: I’m not really putting much weight on what Nojima posts or what he likes on social media when it comes to the LTD. At the end of the day, they’re all his creations and maybe he’s just being appreciative. Neutrally speaking. The story more than speaks for itself.

Final_Heaven

Pro Adventurer
I could believe she was interested in him, but Aerith never made it seem like it went anything beyond a crush, and of course friendship. Calling him her "koibito" just makes her sound deluded.

The problem of course is that the original game gives the player the ILLUSION of choice, but no matter your choice, Cloud always ends up with Tifa. So Cloud ends up looking like an a-hole, and Aerith ends up looking like an afterthought.

Eh, I don't see why Cloud would be an asshole. He was walking around with a split-personality and missing most of his memories.

Well, they did go out on a date if you take the GC scene as canon.
The Remake's TRUE LOVE TRIANGLE:

You guys have been debating this topic at a wrong angle all this time.

I guess I'm much more of a Tifa fan than Cloud fan. I feel happier seeing Tifa kissed by both of them than Cloud being kissed by both of them.

Ruri

Pro Adventurer
ETA: I’m not really putting much weight on what Nojima posts or what he likes on social media when it comes to the LTD. At the end of the day, they’re all his creations and maybe he’s just being appreciative. Neutrally speaking. The story more than speaks for itself.

Agreed on this. The tweet/fanart again for ref.

My inherent C/T soul adores the idea but the niggle at that soul is that Nojima saw a very cool/cute fanart of himself and a like doesn't take much and that is all I'm taking from that. Even with the 'Cloti' stamped on there. But the idea is nice and I am not particularly dismissing people looking for a bias in that tweet. Especially for the stamped 'cloti' for them. Unless we were privy to Nojima's train of thought as he hit the like, eh, it's really how seriously or not seriously you want to read it. Really, how often do the creators come across work of themselves? It was adorable. It is important to look at stuff pretty loosely so matter how deep in your bones your shipping goes.

Eerie

Fire and Blood

It's clear to me that as the creator, he likes both ships and loves that people are able to enjoy both. It's natural. He also loves Zack and Zerith. What a multishipper we have there! But it's also true that in the compilation angle, he does push cloti and zerith. That doesn't mean he doesn't like clerith and people loving it - it's just the way the story goes.

Maidenofwar

They/Them
Rummaged this up so far. Apparently he also said he was wearing pink one time because Aerith is a fav and also he and Kitase did the back to back Advent Children Cloud and Aerith pose while visiting a model church on ffviir tour xD

Yeah, if we go by Compilation CxA have at least one, arguably two dates (date in park as referenced by CC Ultimania/Gold Saucer) so it doesn't assassinate Aerith's character at all with the koibito thing.

Last edited:

minami758

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Miiwoo
So... we’re to take the word of a Japanese Clerith fan at face value and believe that Hamaguchi said that? Sorry if I’m a bit skeptical.:awesome:

Also that sentence doesn’t even translate to “a perfect answer.” It’s more like “I’ll make the best of [their characters].” He’s saying he’ll make their characters as best as he can.

Sasseli

~*:Newbie:*~
最高の形 really doesn't mean "perfect answer" at all. There's no answer in there. 形 means shape/form/appearance/style. He basically says he's going to make them in their best form, i.e. depicting each character individually in the "perfect" way. That's how I read it anyway.

Top Bottom