SPOILERS LTD Remake — It's like New Coke except ... no, it's exactly like New Coke

Rfcloud88

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Ichie
I don’t mean to ask this, but say two characters have equal bonding levels which one takes priority on a date? bc my Red XIII and Barret are equal🤷🏻 or is it random?

AncientGrimoire

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Grim
Amazing post @AncientGrimoire! Couldn't agree more!

This reminded me of an answer Cloud's VA gave about this very same topic due to shipwars in his post lol

View attachment 14683

In fact the more I really think about it, he’s absolutely on the money here with that last line.

I believe he’s referring to Cloud and Aerith in that last line, because there is a fundamental difference in the relationships Cloud has with Tifa and with Aerith, both of which are incredibly important for the story development.

Initially I think a lot of us all thought that given which portions of the story Rebirth covers from the original, a lot of the focus would be on Cloud and Aerith’s relationship, as at this point in the story their’s is very important. So to see Tifa also get greatly expanded screen time and both story and character development, including with her relationship with Cloud was honestly surprising, given all we know is yet to happen in Part 3 and the importance Cloud and Tifa’s past and relationship plays there.

For the importance of Rebirth’s story development, especially in the third act, naturally Cloud and Aerith’s relationship takes centre stage. This is why I think that Aerith always sings in the Loveless play. It’s to firmly establish the emotional beats of her connections to two characters (my interpretation is NPTK does in part also speak to her feelings for Zack) and where her story ends up.

If they were to, using Cody’s words here, sexualise Cloud and Aerith’s relationship, it would for sure ruin the story development. It wouldn’t make sense narratively or be in keeping with the characterisations of all involved, both from the original and in the Remake trilogy.

This all isn’t to say that Cloud and Tifa’s relationship is just sexualised and there’s nothing more going on emotionally, but you can’t deny there is SO much physical chemistry and intimacy on display between Cloud and Tifa that started in Remake and has carried through to Rebirth.

It would be very surprising if all of what they’ve done in regards to developing Cloud and Tifa’s story doesn’t pay off emotionally (the Lifestream sequence) and physically (Under the Highwind). They’ve been foreshadowing very strongly in this respect.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
I don’t mean to ask this, but say two characters have equal bonding levels which one takes priority on a date? bc my Red XIII and Barret are equal🤷🏻 or is it random?
I read on twitter/X that if this happens you get CloudxCid/Cait/Vincent date :tearsofjoy: Not sure if it's true, but if it is you in for a ride because their date is hilarius

Axiom

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
Axiom
Regarding Aerith's final date

Cloud says that next time Aerith should pick a harder puzzle. Aerith thinks Cloud means Cloud wants to go on more dates. Cloud says "because we're friends". Aerith is a bit dissappointed, because she was expecting something more....well, romantic. She says "Now I know where we stand", and goes on to talk about the difference between liking someone and really liking somone...Which Cloud doesnt even try process. This isnt a rejection per se, but it shows us how Cloud views their entire date as something friends would do.

In a way, this also reflects Cloud's attttude during the Gold Saucer date where he says "But I didnt do anything" when Aerith thanks him.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
Regarding Aerith's final date

Cloud says that next time Aerith should pick a harder puzzle. Aerith thinks Cloud means Cloud wants to go on more dates. Cloud says "because we're friends". Aerith is a bit dissappointed, because she was expecting something more....well, romantic. She says "Now I know where we stand", and goes on to talk about the difference between liking someone and really liking somone...Which Cloud doesnt even try process. This isnt a rejection per se, but it shows us how Cloud views their entire date as something friends would do.

In a way, this also reflects Cloud's attttude during the Gold Saucer date where he says "But I didnt do anything" when Aerith thanks him.

- agreed and this is pararell on Tifa's date when she said

"Or am I getting ahead of myself again?"
"Again?" - Cloud
"yeah again.."

"Not one bit"- ask her hand hugs her and kisses her.
================

optional or not when Tifa expresses doubts Cloud will always clear himself up to her. I also agree that Cloud may not be able to call it rejected as his state of mind is ramble right now. But he did express his geniune feelings that - Another date with Aerith would mean a friendly one as they are Nakama/comrades/friends.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
Also this line here thaanks ~ that's one positive way to look at that 'dream date' ~

I feel like she just wanted to have some quality time with Cloud before things go down, and she did that by replicating one of her most fond memories, only to realize at the end where hers and Cloud's feelings stand. I believe she really just wanted some closure before surrendering to her ultimate fate. It makes her very human imo.

• a closure she needed so she can move on next in Lifestream and she faces her death.
  • a bit make sense to me on why that 'date' is a bit ominous ( not just because of impending death) but the entire scenario is a bit... well weird ( sorry Aerith

- still in part 3 a tinsy tiny bit of me wanted her to reunite her with Zack - i mean they both deserve it?? agreed :lol::lol:

Last edited:

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
not LTD related but just to say

I read on twitter/X that if this happens you get CloudxCid/Cait/Vincent date :tearsofjoy: Not sure if it's true, but if it is you in for a ride because their date is hilarius
- hilarious! I love it!!!

• VINCENT NAILS IT ITS HILARIOUS!! HAHAHA ( he's just literally sleeping- that vampire!! ) lmao
  • i feel bad for cait sith. hahahah

Last edited:

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
Just want to compliment Cody, Britt and Brianna for doing so well with these characters in these particular scenes. For me, they are now the quintessential ENG VAs for these characters. I feel they’ve done far better than even Remake with embodying these iconic characters.

But not Caleb Pierce. Rick Gomez will always be the better Zack. (Although, I don’t hate Caleb Pierce as Zack now as much as I used to).

Last edited:

Suffi

Lv. 25 Adventurer
AKA
suffibi
Pretty much this! Cloud is clueless as ever there. This isn't him confessing or friendzoning Aerith at all, but rather him being completely oblivious to what Aerith was trying to do there and acting/responding to her flirtatious nature like he always did. But the point is exactly this: he is seeing her as he always did i.e. as a friend. Even so, Aerith still tells him (and the players) her feelings because she, too, has come to her own conclusion. She's finally able to get some closure about this.
One thing to put into perspective when thinking about Cloud's reaction to things ... and this is something that has been stated by the developer is Cloud is missing 5 years. So in his actions, he is still 16? 15? sorry don't know the correct age. So he has at times a mentality of a 16 year old. So when I saw in a play through that he went for it with Tifa, seemed to me uncharacteristic. But I haven't played it through yet where I'm romancing Tifa. I'm going to romance Aerith first and one my second playthrough do Tifa. It's going to be interesting to see the difference in development in his character.

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
To be fair, citing his mind as only that of a 16-year might work for Real!Cloud but I don’t think it applies to Soldier!Cloud.

But honestly, I don’t think this has anything to do with how mentally mature he is, rather that he’s just oblivious in general or just doesn’t have strong social skills or awareness (which can still be common among people in their 20s).

GamerSkull

Pro Adventurer
16 year old Cloud from Crisis Core is arguably a bigger simp for Tifa than Rebirth's Cloud. He just doesnt have the confidence and swag to go for a kiss like Rebirth's Cloud.
Cloud has always been a Tifa simp. It’s why he wanted to be a SOLDIER in the first place. Soldier Cloud does not remember that though, and is in his own personal fantasy of what it means to be tough guy.

I see his interactions with Tifa in Rebirth as the latter with pieces of the former bubbling to the surface.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
One thing to put into perspective when thinking about Cloud's reaction to things ... and this is something that has been stated by the developer is Cloud is missing 5 years. So in his actions, he is still 16? 15? sorry don't know the correct age. So he has at times a mentality of a 16 year old. So when I saw in a play through that he went for it with Tifa, seemed to me uncharacteristic. But I haven't played it through yet where I'm romancing Tifa. I'm going to romance Aerith first and one my second playthrough do Tifa. It's going to be interesting to see the difference in development in his character.

Make @Axiom my words because true, lol.

Tbh, this is also something that has changed with Remake/Rebirth. OG Cloud!Soldier persona was somewhat more collected and cold, keeping more his distance. Probably, much of this was due to technological constraints at that time. Remake's Soldier!Cloud is much more nuanced. He's cold yet caring, stoic yet goofy. The more he interacts with Tifa, Aerith, and the others, the more I see Cloud's true personality blending with this persona he created here and there. The GS dates are the best example of this: he listens to Nanaki, plays like a big brother with Yuffie, comforts Aerith, and kisses Tifa.

In the end, I guess it's just not 1997 anymore when games were heavily conducted by dialogues only, so having Cloud actually react to things was a necessary change.

Yumelinh

Pro Adventurer
Yo Red XIII’s date scene is hilarious🤣 😂 he’s such a kid i love it lol. Never pictured him in this light haha. I also loved Barrets as well.
So you got Red?? It's my favourite date! It's so cute! His change of tone/speech caught me by surprise, too!! It's so nice to see him in this light, he's supposed to be 15/16 years old after all :laughing:

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
Yo Red XIII’s date scene is hilarious🤣 😂 he’s such a kid i love it lol. Never pictured him in this light haha. I also loved Barrets as well.

Since Tifa kiss has been spoiled to me I think I can get it if I wanted too
RED XIII is also my choice and that GONDOLLA BOYS!! GONNA HAVE IT!!!

eleamaya

Pro Adventurer
Speaking of liking and “liking”, has anyone brought up that Aerith’s line to Cloud in the church scene contrasts this excerpt from Tifa chapter on Trace of Two Pasts?

She'd discovered that Cloud-the quiet neighbor who had always seemed as unreachable as the stars--was just a normal boy like any other. She'd come to understand that she did like him. And it was that special kind of "like" the one that ties up your heart, making you yearn to be with that person for the rest of your days.
Yeah, Nojima describes what kind of "like" (which is "suki" in Japanese) that is romantic (which is "koi" in Japanese).

The same sentiment of "yearn to be with that person for the rest of your days" can also be used to describe what kind of feelings Aerith have for Zack when she confessed "I'd like to spend more time with you." (in JP it's "I wanna be together with you more often"). In FFVII 10th Ultimania CC story playback, it says:
When Zack is called for duty, Aerith writes down 23 tiny wishes on a piece of paper and gives it to him.
The note was filled with her earnest desire to be together with Zack.

So, I wonder what makes Aerith say to Cloud that her liking is different "liking" since she wrote No Promises to Keep song in Gold Saucer that she also performed on stage with lyrics: "take my hand so we can be together ever more." This song is her feelings for Cloud, right? And the instrumental BGM is being played during their dreamlike date in Sector 5 slum.

Could it be... she thinks of her feelings for Cloud of wanting to be together ever more with him, but it turns out the date make her realize it's not like what she thought of?

Last edited:

shady

Pro Adventurer
In fact the more I really think about it, he’s absolutely on the money here with that last line.

I believe he’s referring to Cloud and Aerith in that last line, because there is a fundamental difference in the relationships Cloud has with Tifa and with Aerith, both of which are incredibly important for the story development.

Initially I think a lot of us all thought that given which portions of the story Rebirth covers from the original, a lot of the focus would be on Cloud and Aerith’s relationship, as at this point in the story their’s is very important. So to see Tifa also get greatly expanded screen time and both story and character development, including with her relationship with Cloud was honestly surprising, given all we know is yet to happen in Part 3 and the importance Cloud and Tifa’s past and relationship plays there.

For the importance of Rebirth’s story development, especially in the third act, naturally Cloud and Aerith’s relationship takes centre stage. This is why I think that Aerith always sings in the Loveless play. It’s to firmly establish the emotional beats of her connections to two characters (my interpretation is NPTK does in part also speak to her feelings for Zack) and where her story ends up.

If they were to, using Cody’s words here, sexualise Cloud and Aerith’s relationship, it would for sure ruin the story development. It wouldn’t make sense narratively or be in keeping with the characterisations of all involved, both from the original and in the Remake trilogy.

This all isn’t to say that Cloud and Tifa’s relationship is just sexualised and there’s nothing more going on emotionally, but you can’t deny there is SO much physical chemistry and intimacy on display between Cloud and Tifa that started in Remake and has carried through to Rebirth.

It would be very surprising if all of what they’ve done in regards to developing Cloud and Tifa’s story doesn’t pay off emotionally (the Lifestream sequence) and physically (Under the Highwind). They’ve been foreshadowing very strongly in this respect.
Just gotta say been really enjoying your takes here, would love to know more about what you think is going on at some point.

thetriplerhyme

Pro Adventurer
AKA
thetriplerhyme
Could it be... she thinks her feelings for Cloud of wanting to be together ever more with him, but it turns out the date make her realize it's not like that?

maybe the rebirth ultimania will have an answer? honestly Aerith is really hard to read~ she's a character a bit easier to love yet harder to appeciate ( just for me personally )

Top Bottom