• There are currently leaks out on the internet for FFVII Rebirth; we have received legal notice about these being posted on the forums. Do not post any images, videos, or other media, or links to them from FFVII Rebirth or the artbook. Any leaked media or links to them will be deleted.Repeat offenders will be suspended.
    Please help us out by reporting any leaks, and do not post spoilers outside of the spoiler section.

NEW TRAILER: State of Play May 2019

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Literally the first thing and I wanna be like "AKSHUALLY!!" :monster:
They say the light represents the Dualshock light but it's the PS4 light. Orange in rest mode, then blue when you boot it back up and at the end it turns white.
Yeh it’s not great but decent considering it was made up a few hours after the trailer hit :)

I’m sure @Vyzzuvazzadth will more than surpass it ;)

Vyzzuvazzadth

Yazzavedth Zayann
@pxp Thanks for linking to that analysis. Was a nice read! Though I do have much more to say, indeed :P

As @Tetsujin mentioned, that light represents the light bar on the PS4 itself. That was the first thing bothering me about that analysis, among a few other details I'll address in my own analysis. Which probably will end up being a 2 parter again to separate scenes, characters and visuals from the battle system and UI.

Edit: @ForceStealer: Hahahahaha! That's a great one xD Thanks for sharing!

pxp

Pro Adventurer
@pxp Thanks for linking to that analysis. Was a nice read! Though I do have much more to say, indeed :P

As @Tetsujin mentioned, that light represents the light bar on the PS4 itself. That was the first thing bothering me about that analysis, among a few other details I'll address in my own analysis. Which probably will end up being a 2 parter again to separate scenes, characters and visuals from the battle system and UI.

Edit: @ForceStealer: Hahahahaha! That's a great one xD Thanks for sharing!
Chop chop, you have fans to please ?

Philco

Pro Adventurer
It seems to be a completely different dress. It has a diamond pattern on it, a frilly hemline, and a tie around the waist. No more buttons.
Buttons!
buttons.png
buttonsss.png
I finally got around to watch the trailer, for some reason the characters look weird to me...
On first viewing they looked kinda weird to me too. In some shots I thought they looked very doll-like, with a similar sheen to how characters seem to look in mobius? And I actually liked how Cloud looked in the previous trailers - he appeared suitably malnourished :lol:

The other thing is the eyes. At the moment Aerith's got some very beautiful glowy eyes. But Cloud? Not so much.

Revisiting Aerith's flower:

EMx66YJ.png

References from googling Whorled Loosestrife:

Lysimachia_quadrifolia_4319.JPG

Whorled%20Loofestrife%207-5-08%203.jpg

whorledloosestrifecl2v.jpg

lysimachiaquadrifolia1679a.jpg

None of the petals resemble the style of Aerith's flower.

References from googling Fringed Loosestrife:

1200px-Lysimachia_ciliata_Prague_2013_2.jpg

fringedloosestrifeclvert.jpg

lysimachia-ciliata-0927-1.jpg

WQ03L707%20Fringed%20Loosestrife%2C%20Lysimachia%20ciliata%20P1340361-S.jpg

Flower petals are closer in resemblance to Aerith's flower, but not a perfect fit. As for the bases and stamens, both the whorled- and fringed versions sport many tiny differences with Aerith's flower.

My current conclusion then would be that Aerith's flower is potentially inspired by the various "Loosestrife" flowers but there might not be a one-to-one resemblance with any real flower.

"Meaning & Symbolism of Lilies. ... Symbolizing humility and devotion, lilies are the 30th anniversary flower - while liliesof the valley are the 2nd wedding anniversary flower. As the flowers most often associated with funerals, lilies symbolize that the soul of the departed has received restored innocence after death." from the Interflora website

I find my lack of basic flower knowledge amusing. :monster: Thanks everyone for clearing this up. EDIT: Wow Lic, I was wondering about Aerith's necklace! Great observation!

Observing the max HP & MP of the characters is a speculative practice but I shall do so anyway. Using time tags that fit the JP version of the trailer.

0:12 (Mako Reactor #1, during Guard Scorpion battle)
Cloud​
HP 966​
MP 29​
Barret​
HP 1211​
MP 25​

0:18 (Mako Reactor #1, post-Guard Scorpion)
Cloud​
HP 966​
MP 29​

0:19 (Winding Tunnels)
Cloud​
HP 1595​
MP 45​
Barret​
HP 1711​
MP 35​
Tifa​
HP 1305​
MP 37​

0:37 (Sewers)
Cloud​
HP 2074​
MP 59​
Tifa​
HP 1697​
MP 53​
Aerith​
HP 1546​
MP 66​

0:39 (Battle against the Chain/Cutter/Break Machine)
Cloud​
HP 2007​
MP 49​
Barret​
HP 2152​
MP 38​
Tifa​
HP 1642​
MP 42​

0:42 (Battle against Grashtrike)
Cloud​
HP 1727​
MP 45​
Barret​
HP 1853​
MP 35​
Tifa​
HP 1413​
MP 38​

It appears that everybody's MP is always at max, if I'm reading everything correctly. Aerith's MP isn't depleting when she is throwing those ice/blizzard spells at the Sahagin. I imagine this is either because Aerith is performing an AI-only attack or because she has a "No MP Consumption" status activated. If it's a status effect this may be a normal in-game thing or the developers granted her infinite MP for easy battle-tests. Personally leaning towards the AI-only attack thing.

Assuming complete linearity with the HP- and MP growth of characters as they level up, this is the timeline I see in the trailer:

Mako Reactor #1:
Cloud​
HP 966​
MP 29​

Barret​
HP 1211​
MP 25​

Winding Tunnels (on your way to Mako Reactor #5):
Cloud​
HP 1595​
MP 45​
Barret​
HP 1711​
MP 35​
Tifa​
HP 1305​
MP 37​

Grashtrike battle:
Cloud​
HP 1727​
MP 45​
Barret​
HP 1853​
MP 35​
Tifa​
HP 1413​
MP 38​

Battle against the Chain/Cutter/Break Machine:
Cloud​
HP 2007​
MP 49​
Barret​
HP 2152​
MP 38​
Tifa​
HP 1642​
MP 42​

Sewers:
Cloud​
HP 2074​
MP 59​
Tifa​
HP 1697​
MP 53​
Aerith​
HP 1546​
MP 66​

Teioh's great observation about the silk web already hinted me towards this, but I'm throwing out my theory that the Grashtrike is in Shinra HQ. The HP- and MP growth of the characters place the Grashtrike battle during- or shortly after the Winding Tunnels. In the original game you progress from the Winding Tunnels to "Lower Sector 4 Plate" and then to Mako Reactor #5. According to the wiki you fight the Grashtrike both in the Winding Tunnels and in the Lower Sector 4 Plate.

What surprises me is the great leap in character stats going from the Grashtrike battle to the Chain/Cutter/Break Machine battle. Did the battle-tester do some serious grinding, gain EXP from a tough boss and/or just cheated themselves to higher stats? :wacky:

Meanwhile, Cloud's HP barely progresses between the Chain/Cutter/Break Machine battle on your way to Mako Reactor #5 versus what his HP is in the sewers. This seems odd because at that point you'd think he'd have gained a lot more stat growth from having fought Air Buster and later on Aps.

EDIT: Noticing now though that while Cloud's HP hasn't progressed much when in the Sewers, his MP made a serious leap. Must be the effect of the Materia he has equipped.

Again, this analysis only works under assumptions of very hard linearity. Still, it makes me confident as to where the Grashtrike and the Cutter Machine battle takes place: The lower section of the Sector 4 plate, on your way to Mako Reactor #5.

I wonder though if the size of this Grashtrike is normal or if it's some sort King/Queen Grashtrike. Either way, I love how they incorporate these monsters into the environment by having their silk all over the place. Really emphasizes the common problem in the FFVII world of monster infesting places where humans dwell.

Last edited:

pxp

Pro Adventurer
Treat with a glacier-sized grain of salt post from the r/FFVIIR:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/bndw4s
“Okay so I will post it in this topic. To be clear this is not an individual that I am all that close with. Just a casual acquaintance that I attended HS with and share a similar taste in games with. So he is involved in game journalism with the majority of his content being Japanese games. He shared details with me about the trailer 3-4 hours before it dropped and was 100% accurate beat for beat. I mention this information just to share why I am even given this the time of day. Please understand that I cannot verify this information. I cannot claim it is 100% correct. This same individual also thought we would get information in March-April, but we did not. So either his sourcing is inconsistent, or he has located a new source in Japan that is much more in the know. AGAIN UNDERSTAND THAT IS ALL RUMOR UNTIL PROVEN CORRECT! I am not endorsing this as fact. That said I will now list the information given to me and some may be considered spoilers for those who have not played the original:

FFVII Remake is going to have a HUGE presence at E3. When people say information blowout this will be the definition of it. He says to expect a pretty lengthy trailer that will incorporate game play and story. There will be a game play demonstration as well. We will also get a release date. Not a window, but a date. Early November 2019. He would not give me a hard day. Now, this is stuff we could have all theorized ourselves to be honest.

He also gave me some information about how the game will be split. He claims it will be split into two parts. Part one will end with the death of Aerith. The wait between part one and part two will not be a very long wait in comparison to this initial wait. The games will have expanded plot points and locations with tweaks here and there, but the overall narrative will fell familiar to fans of the original.

Also tells me that the towns and cities feel much more real and organic. Real roads present and feel like they serve realistic functions. A world that feels living. Each location feels unique and feels like it exists for a reason. It makes sense that people put up shop their once upon a time when people were settling in Gaia.

Yuffie and Vincent will be much more organically tied into the story. Said that even though Yuffie is a mandatory character the window that you obtain her optional. Can range anywhere from Junon region to Rocket town. She is obtain via side quest early, but an automatically triggered event later if you do not have in her tow. I think we all figured the two were obviously going to be mandatory characters since they have been included in just about all FFVII related media since the OG, but I find the Yuffie stuff interesting if real and I am not sure how hard that would be to program something like that into a game.

Jenova will still be expanded on, but they are going to keep her origins a bit mysterious. She is going to be frightening with this new tech.

Also mentioned that the Sephiroth scene from the teaser is from the Nibelheim flashback in Kalm. Points to the fact that you can see the road lines to prove that it is not in a reactor like some fan speculation has been.

He also gave me some information game play mechanics:
Limits will be familiar, but different. For example the characters will retain the ability to use all their limit breaks from the OG, but they will serve in different functions. For characters that had the full tree of 7 limit breaks their first limit of that level will be a special attack as in one that you can use from the command menu more freely. Hence Braver in the shortcut menu he says. But Cross-Slash would be used as a limit break in the conventional sense. Bar fills up. Attack is used. Bar depletes after you select. So to simplify it further:
Cloud: Lvl 1: Braver - special attack from menu/ Cross-Slash - Limit Break
Lvl 2: Blade Beam - special attack from menu/ Climhazzard- Limit Break

He also states that Magic and Summon materia will be very familiar in their use. Attaching them allows for those options to show up on the command menu, but you will want to strategically attach materia as the characters will be a little less like "blank slates" than they were in the OG. They will have their niches in combat and constantly utilized them all will be beneficial for players. Trying to just spam one character will not get you very far in the game. You won't want to load your CQC guys with a bunch of magic and weaken their attack and HP stats since they have to be close to the enemies for melee attacks. Where as characters like Vincent and Barrett could shoulder a little more since they do not have to be up close and personal to deal melee damage.

This is the information I was given. Again a lot of it is stuff we could come up with if we sat and thought long enough, but I don't know what this individual would have to gain by making it up. He could have a bad source. He could have a good one as he was right about the teaser. Who knows. Please do not take this as gospel.”

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
Sounds like the marketing train is leaving the station, which for Square usually means a launch window has been decided on, barring delays.

Suppose I'll have a reason to start actively posting again!

I wouldn't count on fewer than three episodes. Personally, I'm expecting four, beginning in either Q4 2019 or Q1 2020, and finishing by the end of Q4 2022.

KiwiPizza

Pro Adventurer
Certainly an interesting post.

November seems a bit too specific?

Reddit had a similar thing with a user last year saying a load of stuff about the 7 release and its E3 presence.

2 Parts is something I’m not fully believing, I can see a November release to be fair

Can any of the pro-analysts here confirm in the Sephy scene could even be from the flashback?

I can't believe a Nov 2019 release of Part 1 if that part is going to take place all up until Aerith's death. Are the developers really finished with making all of Midgar, Kalm, Chocobo Farm, Mythril Mines, Fort Condor, Junon, Costa del Sol, North Corel, Gold Saucer, Corel Desert/Prison, Gongaga, Cosmo Canyon, Nibelheim, Rocket Town, Ancient Temple, Bone Village, Wutai and the Forgotten City? (Plus whatever expansions are done with- and on the Overworld?)

With the graphical fidelity they are striving for and the amount of care being taken into everything, I just can't imagine that Square is THIS far along with the remake project.

Top Bottom