Resident Evil Series

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Heh, I played the Resident Evil Degeneration mobile game. It was actually pretty fun for what it was. This is so hilariously nostalgic. Man, mobile games sure have come a long way.

Lulcielid

Eyes of the Lord
AKA
Lulcy
International posters:

rfclnb380fu71.jpg
mkes3f380fu71.jpg

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
LMAO why would they edit out Leon flirting with Hunnigan? That's my favorite fucking ship, next to Leon and Ada!

Oh well, to play this I'd have to buy a damn Occulus and give money to Facebook, and that was never going to happen. Now even more so :monster:

Ghost X

Around the 15 second mark, the guy trying to stop Jill pointing the gun moves it toward the direction of his own body? :P.

Ghost X

Would need to see comparable ratings. 60% is about what I rate most films I see, so it could still be watchable :monster: I don't think anyone was expecting an epic. A surprise culture-rippling blockbuster every now and again would be nice though.

Lestat

He/him
AKA
Ergo, V
Seen a review earlier that was at 13% for the film so I'm not holding out too much hope here ?

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Let's be real. No RE movie is going to be given a "fresh" rating by a critic with zero context or interest in the RE source material. To them, it'll be nothing but a cliche zombie horror movie with randoms.

So it's going to have a "handicap" from the start. I'm not going to write it off completely because most critics are going to give it flak just for existing as is lol

Clement Rage

Pro Adventurer
That's the thing, though. Resi is genuinely better than stock cliches, done properly. The undead variants are more dangerous and the outbreaks are generally more plausible.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Considering the snubbing horror films suffer in general, that kind of feature carried by Resident Evil is worth jack squat to most critics.

Horror as a genre has a much higher critical bar to clear than most films. It's a bias in film critique. You have to be Hereditary or Us levels of talent and performance to even be taken seriously or even considered worth watching. A horror film that's mediocre or even "B" level automatically gets slammed as trite and cliche.

An action flick, tween movie or comedy has more room to breathe than a horror movie. They can be given the excuse of being "fun" or a summer blockbuster flick. Horror is treated as niche garbage from the start and it has to claw it's way from that baseline. Add to it the fact RE is a video game movie and it was DOA from the start.

looneymoon

they/them
AKA
Rishi
The movie looks great. the director and cinematographer have a genuinely good eye for horror. There were more than a handful of scenes that were absolutely gorgeous and terrifying. There's a shot in the mansion where the camera is peering between the stairway railings, and all you can see is this horrifying image of RPD officer just being crowd-piled by zombies. There is a lot of stuff like this that is very good.

Unfortunately, there are certain key scenes where it felt like they ran out of the CG budget, so they lacked impact. Chris shooting Birkin for example. I felt like we should have seen the bullet explode his face. Instead we get >>close up of Chris >>a bang and some dialogue while lingering on Chris' face >>cut to Birkin with a hole where his eye was. There were a few important scenes that lacked punch because of things like this.

The movie sounded amazing. the sound effects were top tier, and the music uplifts the source material in a way I found very refreshing. This is probably its biggest strength.

The script was pretty bad. Your mileage may vary as to how hilarious you might find it.

the acting is pretty atrocious, but charmingly so for the most part? I was pretty fond of the film's interpretation of the characters, but there were a couple I wasn't feeling at all, unfortunately. Claire and Chris were the only ones who I felt delivered solidly throughout. I wasn't sure if Leon was intentionally or unintentionally hilarious, but I thought the dude's non-performance was absolutely brilliant. Wesker and Jill were the ones who drifted too far from the game characters in a way that flatlined for me.

Neal McDonough's collagen enriched face is far more terrifying than anything rendered by RE engine.

I honestly think this movie was one of the better video game adaptation movies I've seen. It felt like a solid zombie movie, that was probably held back by being a Resident Evil adaptation if anything. There were a lot of fodder characters that needed to be killed off in order to keep the pace of a horror. The game characters, by virtue of being the game characters, had so much plot armour that the stakes were virtually non-existent.

After 15+ years of Jovovich and Anderson, I personally felt satisfied having a live action RE movie that was both fun and competent.

Last edited:

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Holy shit, this does look fucking awesome.

This looks like a world where Umbrella just went unchecked and was allowed to become the global monopoly pharmaceutical company Spencer intended. With zero consequences or regulations.

I think that's a great message for today :awesome:

Top Bottom