So, what do you think the LTD conclusion is? (Round 2)

Who does Cloud love?

• Aerith

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 121 85.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat Rage Room

Great Old One
AKA
Mog
You guys should really post in other places, if you don't already. Not because I don't want you to post here, but to spread the activity all over the community. The balance in activity here compared to everywhere else is nuts.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
But I do, I post in the clubs and I posted about a new Sonic game the other day.

Eh after looking in my recent posts, I guess I do post in here more than any other topic... I'll try to spread it out a little :)

Last edited:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
And this topic as kind of outgrown itself. I'm all for asserting that Cloti is currently as canon as it gets in this fandom, but posting it on the home page? I don't see why. No offense to Squall_of_SeeD, but what part of his Wall-Of-Text was something new that a Clerith hasn't heard before? It seemed as though it was posted that way just to generate more drama between here and the Pink Forum.

No offense taken. As for why it was posted on the home page, two reasons, I think.

One, I'd decided to update my FAQ after several years and gave TLS permission to post any or all of it anywhere on the site they see fit. Mako had an interest in posting several parts of it, the LTD among them.

As for why, my guess on that brings me to the second point. For that, I think Quexinos summed it up best over on the CloudxAerith forum:

Quexinos said:
Because they believe there is a definite answer. They don't believe it's up for interpretation any longer. They believe there is an answer and they're giving that answer. And the love triangle is a big part of the community. It's something people talk about and want to hear about. They're giving the fans what they want.

Particularly with those last three lines.

It's like those magazines that follow celebrities around. As a journalist myself, I find them lacking in the social utility I associate with journalism. Amusingly enough, though, people in general will say the same things about those magazines -- and yet, they sell very well, don't they?

Anyway, in case you wonder why I even bothered to write about this topic, honestly, it wasn't to change anyone's mind. I didn't expect that to happen.

It was simply because I was updating the FAQ to be more professional (added references, smoother wording, etc.) and more succinct -- and then I realized that after doing everything else, I could hardly call it complete while ignoring the aspect of the various FFVII titles that gets the most attention.

I've obviously seen the reactions to my article over on the CloudxAerith forum, but I'm honestly not bothered by any of it. As I said, I wasn't expecting to change anyone's mind with it.

And in all honesty, it's really interesting to me as a graduate of communications studies to see the Coordinated Management of Meaning theory in action. Also, my focus in comm. studies was on mass media -- to see CMM in the context of media analysis makes it even more fascinating.

Obviously some of the things that have been inferred were not at all what I intended to be derived from the article, but this is where the collaborative nature of any body of work comes into play. I'm just glad people are getting something out of it.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
... sigh.. Mako's gonna be mad when he found out I posted it but:
http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=519550

there, you happy? It wasn't that I didn't believe anyone, I just wanted as much people backing me as I could get.

And they didn't do a terrible job. Save applying Youni across the board instead of realizing the distinct clauses (in other words, they seem to still be thinking with english grammar), but pfeh.

No offense taken. As for why it was posted on the home page, two reasons, I think.

One, I'd decided to update my FAQ after several years and gave TLS permission to post any or all of it anywhere on the site they see fit. Mako had an interest in posting several parts of it, the LTD among them.

As for why, my guess on that brings me to the second point. For that, I think Quexinos summed it up best over on the CloudxAerith forum:

Particularly with those last three lines.

It's like those magazines that follow celebrities around. As a journalist myself, I find them lacking in the social utility I associate with journalism. Amusingly enough, though, people in general will say the same things about those magazines -- and yet, they sell very well, don't they?

Anyway, in case you wonder why I even bothered to write about this topic, honestly, it wasn't to change anyone's mind. I didn't expect that to happen.

It was simply because I was updating the FAQ to be more professional (added references, smoother wording, etc.) and more succinct -- and then I realized that after doing everything else, I could hardly call it complete while ignoring the aspect of the various FFVII titles that gets the most attention.

We can't trust anything you say though. You see a C/T conclusion, and are as such evil biased rapid. The pinkers said so. And we know they're NEVER wrong. The deny ever being wrong. Even when the contradict each other. And that's self assuredness you can trust.
And that's the word/[/Colbert]

I've obviously seen the reactions to my article over on the CloudxAerith forum, but I'm honestly not bothered by any of it. As I said, I wasn't expecting to change anyone's mind with it.

And in all honesty, it's really interesting to me as a graduate of communications studies to see the Coordinated Management of Meaning theory in action. Also, my focus in comm. studies was on mass media -- to see CMM in the context of media analysis makes it even more fascinating.

Obviously some of the things that have been inferred were not at all what I intended to be derived from the article, but this is where the collaborative nature of any body of work comes into play. I'm just glad people are getting something out of it.

Certainly, the FAQ and the knee jerk response to it have brought a chuckle to my day.

Splintered

unsavory tart
It's one thing to have such a vested interest in this thing (which I have trouble understanding as it is), but shipping wars? Feuds? I just don't understand how it can get to that level. Frankly, I find other aspects of the FF7 world (and hell, many other fictional settings where people ship over) much more interesting to discuss than a shipping.
Half of it is audience. There will always be a core fangroup dedicated to pairings, but if there's a rival to that group, it just never ends until somebody "wins." There will always be a Cloud/Tifa and Cloud/Aerith group ready to argue, and it intensifies over the years.

I use to argue that Cait Sith was the only truly "good" guy of the bunch (minus Aerith) but there's no real hardcore group for or against him so it will eventually die out.

... sigh.. Mako's gonna be mad when he found out I posted it but:
http://forums.narutofan.com/showthread.php?t=519550

there, you happy? It wasn't that I didn't believe anyone, I just wanted as much people backing me as I could get.
That is the place of the insane Naruto pairing wars. Less Narusasu, more concentrated and well organized Naruhina and Narusaku mobs. I think LTD is worse because of ten years of frustration and tears of canon, but that one is just as volatile.

You tryin' to say it ain't? Na na! XD

But seriously, have you ever visited a Naruto forum?
It's worse when you have to fucking mod it.

Don't forget guys that it's never about changing the minds of the Clerith shippers. Drake changing his mind is icing on the cake. :P

The reason for the debate, for posting an FAQ like that on the front page is for the people who are still on the fence, or just don't know/care enough to read all the quotes. Many people see Cloti without needing anything else, but when presented with the Cleriths on the internet might find it nice to see an FAQ like that to clear up uncertainties. Or someone might just think he loves both and then see the FAQ and understand that there is a definite answer.

So who cares if the Clerii have counters for all these things? They don't make sense to anyone who isn't a clerii anyways. If it were really about trying to make the shippers over there see what's really canon, most of us would have gone mad a long time ago.

Kikyou

just a fleeting memory
AKA
M-Mira, crackitlackin, Izaya Orihara, SAILOR NARU, Sharon Rainsworth, Mara, Brosuke Hanamura, Commissioner Gordon, Santa Claus, Lenneth Valkyrie
I've been wondering, why use "clerii" for plural? Is it another one of those weird English rules regarding plural nouns? Kind of like "dice" and "die"?

The Naruto LTD is volatile because the series has been going on for years. You'd have to be a really loyal fan and a die-hard shipper to not only stay involved with the fandom, but continue to debate your pairing. Kishi throws a few bones out there, but its not like romance is his forte. It isn't even the focus of his series.

Same goes with the FFVII series. It was about getting green, yo.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
I think anyone who says the LT isn't that important an aspect of FFVII's Compilation is living in state of denial. When their own official books have numerous discussions regarding the LT, and of course Cloud and Tifa being listed as its own unique article, then yeah...I think the creators are telling us that the dynamics of the relationship between these two/three people is pretty important and popular regarding their work of media.

Anyways, again. This is all part of the series. And it seems pretty stupid to not talk about/discuss the giant rhinoceros in the room, that is the LT.

Kikyou

just a fleeting memory
AKA
M-Mira, crackitlackin, Izaya Orihara, SAILOR NARU, Sharon Rainsworth, Mara, Brosuke Hanamura, Commissioner Gordon, Santa Claus, Lenneth Valkyrie
It is important, but it isn't the main focus. It's about life and death in general, and not just life as in living organisms but philosophies on life. Love is only a sub of life. Same with hate or sadness.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
It is important, but it isn't the main focus. It's about life and death in general, and not just life as in living organisms but philosophies on life. Love is only a sub of life. Same with hate or sadness.

FFVII's main focus isn't about a bunch of crazy assholes living underground wearing neon blue "go faster" stripes but people didn't complain about that when we featured it, did they? :awesomonster:

And this isn't just about FFVII. This is the entire Compilation, which has again, played into the LT and how Cloud/Tifa/Aerith interacted and do interact again and again.

Kikyou

just a fleeting memory
AKA
@Wolverine: Oh, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

And lol Drake. XD;

FFVII's main focus isn't about a bunch of crazy assholes living underground wearing neon blue "go faster" stripes but people didn't complain about that when we featured it, did they? :awesomonster:

And this isn't just about FFVII. This is the entire Compilation, which has again, played into the LT and how Cloud/Tifa/Aerith interacted and do interact again and again.

Sorry, you lost me. I wasn't complaining about anything at all, unless you are talking about something someone else said in this thread. And if you were talking about SoS's essay, the only beef I had with it is that it is that is an incredibly high wall of text. (And almost made me late to chemistry.) The point I was trying to make, is while the LT is part of the series, it isn't the fulcrum of the story.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Sorry, you lost me. I wasn't complaining about anything at all, unless you are talking about something someone else said in this thread. And if you were talking about SoS's essay, the only beef I had with it is that it is that is an incredibly high wall of text. (And almost made me late to chemistry.) The point I was trying to make, is while the LT is part of the series, it isn't the fulcrum of the story.

The "crazy assholes living underground wearing neon blue 'go faster' stripes" are Deepground SOLDIERs...which were the feature of another article that was written up on the front page. No one complained about how those throw away villains weren't the fulcrum or focus of FFVII as a whole. They were just featured in one FFVII Compilation spin off.

So I just find it amusing that now people are saying, "The LT isn't the focus of FFVII so why did you write about it and put it up on the front."

Tennyo

Higher Further Faster
People are saying that? lol

It's true that it isn't the most important aspect of the story, but it's one aspect, so why would the site not explore them all?

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
So, a birdy, though a hawk more than a sparrow, if you will, has pointed me at a particular thread over at Pink Hell.
EdgarxTerra. Who the hell are you and why should I care? I get that you're the girl with the beef against Drake, I just want to know why you seem to feel the need to specify me when to my recollection, I haven't so much as interacted with you.

To the thread in general- if you think the translations are so bad, please be specific about why they are so horrible. Linguistically. Where the errors have been made, with specific evidences provided.
Further, a common comment I see from you is that 'undying= immutable', but undying doesn't mean insurmountable. If I have an undying rage, that doesn't mean that rage can never be quenched, it means that rage will not decrease with time. Just with action.

To the girl who thinks I am stalking her, please, do get over yourself. I could not care less who or what you are, but please, leave the libel aside.

To Silent, all I can say to you is that that the only people you're convincing with your act are the people in that very thread.

As to, 'defining people by their actions,' ladies, I suggest, in general, that you do not go there. While by no means spotless, if we're comparing stained reputations, fake interviews, stating two contradictory things at the same time while also getting on the case of other people for a percieved contradiction, these things apply to you, and they do not present a pretty picture.

And again, I reiterate the statement- you make a new, concise, well written essay, we'll give it equal time.
Hell, maybe even if it's just new. We'd never get one otherwise.

Yes, that WAS a taunt. Please, hurry along.

Oh, and one comment to this entire concept in general- Apply Common Sense, apply common understandings of relationships both in and out of shipping, and this thing solves itself. You're making it a lot more complicated than it needs to be. I say that as a man who loves arguing this sort of thing.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
lol Ryu, they aren't going to come over here and say stuff. Even if they did it'd probably just start a flame war... and tbh I'm not sure they even read this thread that often but I could be wrong.

To the girl who thinks I am stalking her, please, do get over yourself. I could not care less who or what you are, but please, leave the libel aside.
Maybe she WANTS you to stalk her, *wink wink nudge nudge* :awesome:

so...

when is Ryu gonna stalk me? :monster:

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
Ryu can't. He's my stalker... Or I'm his. I can't remember, exactly.

But seriously? Stalking...via internet fan forums? Seriously? Ryu, I expect so much more from you. Like death threats in expressive, verbose essay format as well as grandiose gestures of superiority and assholishness. :|

Silly pink fanthings.

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
lol Ryu, they aren't going to come over here and say stuff. Even if they did it'd probably just start a flame war... and tbh I'm not sure they even read this thread that often but I could be wrong.

Certain ones do nearly religiously.

Maybe she WANTS you to stalk her, *wink wink nudge nudge* :awesome:

so...

when is Ryu gonna stalk me? :monster:

I could pencil you in next week, if that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom