So, what do you think the LTD conclusion is? (Round 2)

Who does Cloud love?

• Aerith

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 121 85.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
Well, if Aerith's ribbon has flat ends during CC, and pointed ends during the ending of CC, that's actually strong evidence in favor of Clerith.

First, that Zack gives her a ribbon with flat ends clearly symbolizes how he wants Aerith - flat on her back. Zack's only interest in Aerith is for sex, he has no interest in her as person. This isn't truly love, it's just lust. That Aerith changes to a pointed ribbon when Zack vanishes shows she's ready for a more intimate relationship with someone like Cloud, who has pointed hair. Aerith's ribbon having pointed ends symbolizes her compatibility with the similarly spiky-haired Cloud.

See how obvious the evidence is when you think about it? I'm amazed this wasn't noticed sooner.

GTFO.

But, seriously, a ribbon debate? Flat ends? Pointed ends? Is this what we've come to? I really hope I didn't contribute to this in any way.

Well reasoned argument, by the way, Drake. I concede to you, sir! Clerith FTW!

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
No no, the ribbon argument predates your essay, though I dare say the ludicrous ends it has gone to might have come about due to a complete lack of anywhere else for the girls advocating it to turn.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
New person posted this, it's kind of interesting:

http://www.goddess-project.net/new/index.php?newsid=126

In the manga and anime, this connection is symbolized by a character wearing a ribbon, usually in her hair and usually red or an associated color like pink. (The primary meaning of colors in Japanese symbolism seems to be based on their primary hue (red, green, blue, black, white, etc). Variants of these primaries (such as pink, pastels, greys, etc) may be important for putting a spin on the color's meaning as used but doesn't change the main intent of the color). If you see a anime or manga heroine with a red ribbon in her hair, chances are she's going to turn out to be some other character's destined love. (Of course, sometimes a ribbon IS just a ribbon). If for some reason (death, the other person has emotional problems, or must choose to sacrifice their hope of love for the common good) the destined pairing cannot occur. This is symbolized by the ribbon being lost from her hair and (usually) blown away in the breeze. While Belldandy doesn't wear a ribbon in hair in the normal manga school girl way, her goddess outfits all seem to involve scarves and ribbons binding up her hair in various styles, so this may apply to her.

So if this is true, Cloud and Aerith were destined for each other... but it didn't happen because her ribbon fell out :monster:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
What do you want her to translate? O_o

And Ryu made a good point about Tifa wearing a red ribbon or string as well. Good job :monster:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
My Ultimanias. :monster:

But really, I dunno. If there ever was a question about what something meant like how koibito was used with Tifa, don't you think she'd know the most about it?

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
My Ultimanias. :monster:

But really, I dunno. If there ever was a question about what something meant like how koibito was used with Tifa, don't you think she'd know the most about it?

I think asking her something like that is okay. She just said not to throw a huge thing of text at her. saying "How do you feel koibito is used here?" is completely different.

And funny how she mentioned the "koibito" thing from CoLW... I have to wonder if she's aware of the Reunion Files one.

Isabella

Your Mom
RIBBONS. Thank god there are ribbon experts out there, otherwise how could any of us simpletons comprehend a work as complex and nebulous as FF7?

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
RIBBONS. Thank god there are ribbon experts out there, otherwise how could any of us simpletons comprehend a work as complex and nebulous as FF7?

I KNOOOOOWWWWW! :rage:
Why can't Aerith just wear a fucking ribbon cause she likes it? But I'll still say the article she posted was interesting to say the least. If nothing else we can throw it at Capricorn and PYT and say "You're right the ribbon is the ribbon of fate... oh but look it fell from her hair which means the couple can't happen :monster:"

Isabella

Your Mom
I don't understand that new girl's point. If a couple is destined, it means they are preordained to be together, that it's already been predetermined, it's certain to happen in the future. So if a ribbon falling from hair means a couple can't happen, that means they WEREN'T destined.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
If for some reason (death, the other person has emotional problems, or must choose to sacrifice their hope of love for the common good) the destined pairing cannot occur. This is symbolized by the ribbon being lost from her hair and (usually) blown away in the breeze.
So they were destined but it didn't happen I guess?

And anyway I don't know how reliable this article is, I've been searching for hours and I cannot find ANY other source that claims this... but then again maybe I need to search Japanese folklore sites or something. I can't speak or type Japanese so... I'm probably not the best person to do so :P

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Lemme say this- I only see western sites call it a ribbon. I cannot recall Ribbon as 'true love shattered' ever, and I see it several times as 'innocence destroyed'

Seriously, the whole red string is pretty much a trope that exists to be mocked if it's done AT ALL overtly.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Lemme say this- I only see western sites call it a ribbon. I cannot recall Ribbon as 'true love shattered' ever, and I see it several times as 'innocence destroyed'
So... when Sephiroth stabbed Aerith... she wasn't a virgin anymore? O_o

aniron

it's me in a labyrinth
AKA
spirit chaser
So... when Sephiroth stabbed Aerith... she wasn't a virgin anymore? O_o

:huh::aah:

edit; Seriously though guys, if SE didn't state Aerith's ribbon as a "ribbon of fate", then it's not!
Zack gave her the ribbon, she had promised to always wear it and she fulfiled this promise.
What else do people need? Maybe we all should just stop reading into things too much. Cos it's not funny anymore. It's freaking scary.

Last edited:

Isabella

Your Mom
Agreed. You don't give Aerith a ribbon that's meant to bond her to Cloud, then show another man give her the ribbon and have her tell the other man she'll wear it always. You. Just. Don't. End of discussion.

aniron

it's me in a labyrinth
AKA
spirit chaser
The thing is that so many Clerith fans are trying to ignore or deny Crisis Core.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Then everyone should do what is appropriate in this situation: point and laugh.
That's sig worthy...

And really there's so much more to discuss about the LT, I just don't give a shit about her ribbon. NO ONE SHOULD. Why is that the only topic they'll reply to :( It's like the only thing they know about is ribbons... and they don't even KNOW stuff about that...

aniron

it's me in a labyrinth
AKA
spirit chaser
Then everyone should do what is appropriate in this situation: point and laugh.

And this is what I usually do.

But this whole ribbon argument was starting to get on my nerves.

edit;
Why is that the only topic they'll reply to :( It's like the only thing they know about is ribbons...

That's what i've been wondering. Is the ribbon the only thing they wish to discuss?...

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
We should make a list of anime characters that wore red or pink ribbons that weren't "destined for love"... but I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom