So, what do you think the LTD conclusion is? (Round 2)

Who does Cloud love?

• Aerith

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 121 85.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Okay. Cloud's left hand touching Tifa's right forearm and Tifa's left hand touching Cloud's right upper arm.

I always forget about anatomical correctness. :awesome:
Which is not hands touching, it's hands vaguely touching arms. :awesomonster:

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
On the matter of the "mutual" wording, I think that was likely derived in that translation from the statement being that Tifa "communicated her feelings together with Cloud." In other words, they mutually communicated their feelings. The feelings themselves aren't described as mutual -- though, as I've said elsewhere in this thread and in my article, that phrase and the one from the Ultimania Omega are frequently used to denote a communication of mutual feelings the way "realized their feelings for each other" is in English. Same connotation applies too. If nothing else, it can't be denied that they were trying to stoke some flames with their choice of wording, though it seems easier to just take its commonly understood meaning at face value.
That one just...makes my head spin. I'm sure FFIX's writers were that interested in shoehorning an FFVII allusion, especially since it was game they had absolutely no say or creative control over at all. Classic.

And Cloud apparently has no personality. Of course!

This all translates to them basically saying "I SEE PATTERNS WHERE NONE EXIST!! YAY CLUSTERING ILLUSIONS!!!!!"
Though parts of the explanation as written seem like reaching, I wouldn't be surprised if thaat were meant to be an allusion to FFVII. Not that it's really LTD-loaded anyway. Doesn't come across so much as an endorsement as a simple reference.

Besides, the chick doesn't sound like she likes the dude all that much to begin with.

Of more import, FFVII's key developers didn't oversee FFIX -- so, as the LTD goes, its allusions are only slightly more valuable than Itadaki Street Special's.

Last edited:

Vendel

Banned
Before going any further in catching up on the past few days of this thread, I want to make sure I take this moment to say that this comment is the best the LTD -- nay, the fandom itself -- has received. As absurd as it would sound if said with sincerity, I couldn't disagree in the slightest.

You know. The funny thing is we don't know if Tifa did or did not "give it away like candy". Even funnier is the fact that I have seen a lot of cleriths describe the cloti pov as "CLOUD LOVES TIFA BECAUSE SHE HAS BIG BOOBS AND THEY WILL HAVE SEX ALL THE TIME HURR HURR". Whereas they describe Clouds love for Aerith as transcending the boundaries of the flesh.

Of course they then turn it around and when we don't see C/T all over each other in CoT or ACC. They must not be in a relationship!! Even though no serious person ever believed the way that the PN said they did.

"This didn't happen the way we said you said it would happen. Thus it didn't"

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
You know. The funny thing is we don't know if Tifa did or did not "give it away like candy". Even funnier is the fact that I have seen a lot of cleriths describe the cloti pov as "CLOUD LOVES TIFA BECAUSE SHE HAS BIG BOOBS AND THEY WILL HAVE SEX ALL THE TIME HURR HURR". Whereas they describe Clouds love for Aerith as transcending the boundaries of the flesh.

Of course they then turn it around and when we don't see C/T all over each other in CoT or ACC. They must not be in a relationship!! Even though no serious person ever believed the way that the PN said they did.

"This didn't happen the way we said you said it would happen. Thus it didn't"

Don't forget the 'We don't see C/A do anything, but you don't need anything to be in love' and 'We didn't see anything between C/T in AC/C so nothing's there' double standard. I saw that just a moment ago. Within a single paragraph no less.

And why the hell do people keep trying to analogize C/A to Tid/Yun? Cloud is not in the slightest like Tidus.

Vendel

Banned
Don't forget the 'We don't see C/A do anything, but you don't need anything to be in love' and 'We didn't see anything between C/T in AC/C so nothing's there' double standard. I saw that just a moment ago. Within a single paragraph no less.

Of course this logic extends to other things as well. C/T living together and raising children? Doesn't mean anything. Cloud driving through a random flower field? True love.

And why the hell do people keep trying to analogize C/A to Tid/Yun? Cloud is not in the slightest like Tidus.

Um...the hair? And they both have swords.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time
You Clotis and your "logic"...

logic.png

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
because uh... sometimes Tidus takes Cloud's place in Clerith fanart, therefore it's the same. :awesome:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Cloud dressed up as a girl once... and Tidus acts like a girl :D...

.. I think I just made myself angry...

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
Two people standing under an umbrella in Japan can mean they're a couple. One of Aerith's weapon's in FFVII is an umbrella.

Right, right. But it's the Crisis Core Ultimania that said that Zack told Aerith she should be wearing pink and carrying a parasol. Hm, they just turned every last bit into Zerith, didn't they? :awesome:

aniron

it's me in a labyrinth
AKA
spirit chaser
Right, right. But it's the Crisis Core Ultimania that said that Zack told Aerith she should be wearing pink and carrying a parasol. Hm, they just turned every last bit into Zerith, didn't they? :awesome:

Why does she even need either umbrella or a parasol if she lives in the slums? :huh:

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
If I ever find the link again (Just saved the quotes a long time ago to my computer), I'll let you know. :monster:
They seem to match all of the other translations I've seen, though.

aniron

it's me in a labyrinth
AKA
spirit chaser
Well... parasols are kinda cool. I actually want one.

Oh, Zack was also fighting with a parasol in CC! ;)

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.
They are calling each other.

Care to explain your reasoning? I saw that scene without the sound and thought they must be talking to each other but then I heard what they say and it didn't make any sense for that to be the case.

Maybe they just left each other voice messages.

In the middle of a battle? "Everything's clear over there" is something you would need someone to hear immediately.

Why would they call at WRO if they've already been shown working as a team. It's more logical to assume that they were calling each other.
To let them know the area is clear and Vincent has the go-ahead. Hence why Barrett follows on with "they're all your's now, Vincent!" Working as a team requires communication. There's no other way to know what's going on.

Fighter

Pro Adventurer
Care to explain your reasoning? I saw that scene without the sound and thought they must be talking to each other but then I heard what they say and it didn't make any sense for that to be the case.

Never struck me as anything other. Don't know how you come up with it.

aniron

it's me in a labyrinth
AKA
spirit chaser

Same here.

It's only logical to assume that they were calling each other. A promise reference (a sly joke that only Tifa would understand). Why would he call at WRO and say "I'm being late again"? It doesn't make sense, especially when we see Tifa right after that, picking up her mobile and answering it.
No one else had been shown calling at WRO. So why would Tifa and Cloud?
"Everything is clear over here" could also be very well adressed to Cloud.

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Okay don't get mad but... I don't understand the late promise thing... how is being late a reference to the promise :(

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Okay don't get mad but... I don't understand the late promise thing... how is being late a reference to the promise :(

Cloud being late is a callback to the first time he apologized for being late to rescue Tifa in Nibleheim.

Raquelborn

"I slice your ass in 4."
AKA
Raq, Raquel.

It didn't make much sense when I looked closer at the scene. Hearing the audio also helped.

It's only logical to assume that they were calling each other.

It's also perfectly logical they're calling the WRO to report back their status.

A promise reference (a sly joke that only Tifa would understand). Why would he call at WRO and say "I'm being late again"? It doesn't make sense, especially when we see Tifa right after that, picking up her mobile and answering it.

She looks at her phone after Cloud has spoken into his, and if their shots are occuring simultaneously then they're just talking over one another when they both pick up the phone. That doesn't work.

Cloud could still be referencing to their promise just to himself. "Everything's clear over here" and Tifa's facial expression doesn't indicate she's heard a reference to their fateful promise.

No one else had been shown calling at WRO. So why would Tifa and Cloud?

Because it's not shown it doesn't happen? I find that unlikely in the middle of a battle. It's either that or the WRO is poorly organised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom