So, what do you think the LTD conclusion is? (Round 2)

Who does Cloud love?

• Aerith

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 121 85.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
So Cloud is her friend and lover. And a symbol of her friend and lover?

I took it as her calling him her friend and beloved -- and that, as such, he is representative of all that's important to her and all she wants to protect.

To analogize it: "Dr. Pepper was her favorite soda, her favorite drink even -- a symbol of all that she would never get to taste again." The Dr. Pepper is no less her favorite drink even though it's serving a role as a symbol.

It's just both a symbol and her favorite drink.

Vendel

Banned
I took it as her calling him her friend and beloved -- and that, as such, he is representative of all that's important to her and all she wants to protect.

All things being equal the simplest solution is usually the right one. And I would not want my CoLW koibito to be the one noted exception to a rule that has been fairly well established.

To analogize it: "Dr. Pepper was her favorite soda, her favorite drink even -- a symbol of all that she would never get to taste again." The Dr. Pepper is no less her favorite drink even though it's serving a role as a symbol.

It's just both a symbol and her favorite drink.

Ah but Aerith never tasted the Dr. Pepper. It just reminded her of the Pepsi she lost. And seeing as she is not trying to drink the Dr. pepper the next time she sees it and is hanging out with the Pepsi.....

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
Ah but Aerith never tasted the Dr. Pepper. It just reminded her of the Pepsi she lost. And seeing as she is not trying to drink the Dr. pepper the next time she sees it and is hanging out with the Pepsi.....
okay what the fuck? That was good XD

But
no.. really
All things being equal the simplest solution is usually the right one. And I would not want my CoLW koibito to be the one noted exception to a rule that has been fairly well established.
What is the rule you're talking about?
Or rather, how does this break the rule?

The Twilight Mexican

Ex-SeeD-ingly good
AKA
TresDias
I'm curious about the rule in question as well. Unless Vendel means how "koibito" is usually used in cases of reciprocation, I can't think of anything.

Even though it's not being used to identify a reciprocated romance here, it's not like a case of a buggy pulling horses. It's not that wild and outlandish.

For that matter, in this case, I think the most simple solution is that Aerith is calling Cloud her friend and beloved (in the non-reciprocal fashion) -- and simultaneously saying that, being those things, he's representative of all that's important to her.

EDIT: Oh. That rule. Shit. Sorry, Vendel. I'm tired, dude.

Still, last paragraph above the "EDIT" applies. Ignore the first two.

Last edited:

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
okay what the fuck? That was good XD

But
no.. really

What is the rule you're talking about?
Or rather, how does this break the rule?

It's Occam/Ockham's razor. Again. :P

Of course we could go all philosophical and start going on about Cloud being a distinct signified thing that always corresponds to a distinct word (koibito) and how erroneous that thinking is, yadda yadda...
:hohum:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Oh I know WHAT rule he was talking about I just don't see how it applies here.

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
Oh I know WHAT rule he was talking about I just don't see how it applies here.

It really doesn't.

Because given the sentence in question, and we apply Occam's razor, then the simplest solution is that Cloud was Aerith's lover/boyfriend/piece of chocolate.

The problem--once again--is apparently taking a sentence/section in its singularity and creating theories and OMGproofz from it, when this isn't a one-shot deal. FFVII is a compilation and to give a proper literary analysis of it, you must--I repeat MUST--consider the whole.

You can't take a blue puzzle piece and declare 'sky' when all the other pieces create an ocean. It just doesn't work like that.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
OH I get it...

Yes this is true. Vendel made it sound like he wanted the rule to apply here though.

Fairheartstrife

[no fucks given]
AKA
FHS, that cloti bitch
Completely random: In Junon when "inner Cloud" starts talking to "ZaCloud"

"When you went to Mt. Nibel then, Tifa was your guide, right?"

"Yeah.... I was surprised."

"But where was Tifa other than that?"

"...I dunno."

"It was a great place for you two to see each other
again."

"...You're right."

"Why couldn't you see each other alone?"

"...I don't know. I can't remember clearly..."

I just think it's funny how inner Cloud is all about that. "So, uh, explain to me, retard, why you weren't knocking cowboots?" :P

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
It really doesn't.

Because given the sentence in question, and we apply Occam's razor, then the simplest solution is that Cloud was Aerith's lover/boyfriend/piece of chocolate.

No, in fact, it's not. For it does not account for all the variables, that being a necessary condition of Occam's razor. A 'simple' explanation is one that accounts for all variables with the fewest additional assumptions.

The problem--once again--is apparently taking a sentence/section in its singularity and creating theories and OMGproofz from it, when this isn't a one-shot deal. FFVII is a compilation and to give a proper literary analysis of it, you must--I repeat MUST--consider the whole.

Hence, the 'simplest' isn't the simplest, natch.

You can't take a blue puzzle piece and declare 'sky' when all the other pieces create an ocean. It just doesn't work like that.

Quite true.

DrakeClawfang

The Wanderer of Time

Too.....many.....jokes.....can't.......process.......ARG! I can't hold them back!

So Aerith "tasted" Zack huh? And we've established she wanted to "taste" Cloud?

Would this mean Honey Bee Inn is a vending machine?

Why doesn't Aerith just pour her Dr. Pepper and Pepsi into the same glass and have both of them?

Or hey, why doesn't Aerith share her Dr. Pepper with Tifa?

Aerith should try switching over to a nice, refreshing, black and white-wearing Root Bear.

I'll never look at a soft drink the same way again.

Vendel

Banned
So Aerith "tasted" Zack huh? And we've established she wanted to "taste" Cloud?

If by 'taste' you mean 'wanted his dick' then yes.

Why doesn't Aerith just pour her Dr. Pepper and Pepsi into the same glass and have both of them?

The Dr. Pepper already had a lot of the Pepsi in it. That is why Aerith wanted to taste it.

Or hey, why doesn't Aerith share her Dr. Pepper with Tifa?

It was always Tifa's. Aerith just wanted to sip from it.

Aerith should try switching over to a nice, refreshing, black and white-wearing Root Bear.

It goes right through her.

I'll never look at a soft drink the same way again.

Then my work is done.

Vendel

Banned
Tifa's no Root Beer, nevermind Root Bear (that's Barret's job), she's obviously Cheerwine, what with the scarlet eyes.

Vintage 1987. Just the way Cloud likes it.
Yes I know it's a soda.

Draco Malfoy said:
There is so much - oh god, I don't even want to touch that one. Only further proof of Clack canon.

My God. What have I done?

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Administrator
AKA
Yop
Drake said:

Well, there's the problem that she's dead and unable to drink. That, and the Pepsi is dead too, so it tastes like shit. The Dr. Pepper was also stale, and actually tasted like Pepsi - go figure.

KissTheRain

reality is a prison
AKA
jailbait
Hey so we have some crappy Pepsi and Dr. Pepper, but the Root Beer is still cold and delicious (and sexy
tifarb.jpg
) so it's all A&W down the road for Aerith. LTD solved.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
Hey so we have some crappy Pepsi and Dr. Pepper, but the Root Beer is still cold and delicious (and sexy
tifarb.jpg
) so it's all A&W down the road for Aerith. LTD solved.

I still say Tifa should be considered Cheerwine. Or Cream Soda. Something Smooth, with a unique, rich flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom