So, what do you think the LTD conclusion is? (Round 2)

Who does Cloud love?

• Aerith

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 121 85.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ⓐaron

Factiō Rēpūblicāna dēlenda est.
AKA
The Man, V
I agree in those two instances, but in both cases it was pretty clear when Cloud wasn't in control - for example, him attempting to kill Aeris right before Sephiroth does. All of those things are not just out of character, but we can clearly see Sephiroth is manipulating him for his own goals. That's a little different than what happens with him and Zack; he's not being openly manipulated, his fractured mind simply swallowed the qualities he admired about Zack, but it's Cloud himself who wanted it. He says himself that he lied about those things.
The flirtatiousness and most other Zack-isms are out-of-character for Cloud as well, though. Not as much as attempting to kill her, but still.

Alright, I get you, but I'm still...okay, here's my problem with this. On the date she tells Cloud his Zacklike behavior is bothering her and she wants the real him. So aside from an argument about how much she knew or didn't know about him, she's rejecting those mannerisms, that behavior. Either this means she read something in the real Cloud that indicated romance, or ...she's crazy, idk.
I tried to respond to this but Balthea summed it up better than anything I was able to come up with, so fuck it :monster: Aerith's able to figure out that the difference exists because she's half-Cetra, iirc, but she still doesn't have any real idea what the real Cloud's like.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
@Legretta: That's exactly how most of us feel. It doesn't make sense if that is what Aerith was saying, because they flat out weren't. Even if Cloud loved Aerith and Aerith loved Cloud, they are never shown as actual "lovers".
But it's okay for Tifa to love Cloud when she hardly knew him at all before he went off to Soldier. I mean how well did she really know him?... He thought she hated him. If she really knew him that well, why would he even think that?

/end Devil's advocate

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
The clear difference is that Cloud and Tifa pretty much went inside each other's minds during the Lifestream event. After that, any arguments that they "don't know each other well enough" are demolished.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee
ZaCloud is not some alternate being. It's Cloud using the mannerisms of this successful, impressive guy he wanted to be like.

Furthermore, Aeris actually states several times she isn't falling for Zack in Cloud. If anything, it's quite the opposite. The similarities don't turn her on, they bother her. She also states that they are different, which means Cloud isn't stealing Zack's personality. Since Aeris knows Zack the best, she knows what parts are his and what to separate. The similarities of their meeting brought up the old wound and made a link between their stories, but she makes it pretty clear she doesn't want a replica of her ex-boyfriend.

@Legretta: I don't think they ever got far enough to be in a relationship, however, I am of the belief there were mutual feelings involved. Really, if this story is telling us Aeris views him as her lover, I don't see the need to debate this. I don't see why they would purposely use this word if they weren't, as Aeris isn't a delusional person. If there was no indication of a mutual romantic feeling, then she wouldn't see him this way. And as I stated above, since she is rejecting the Zackisms, I don't see this "ZaCloud" as an excuse.

edit: fuck I type too slow.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
The clear difference is that Cloud and Tifa pretty much went inside each other's minds during the Lifestream event. After that, any arguments that they "don't know each other well enough" are demolished.
Yes AFTER, AFTER... but before that... I'm talking about right as Cloud went to join soldier, BEFORE she was in his mind. Tifa apparently fell in love with him. But they weren't that close, even Tifa says that. Why is it okay for Tifa to fall in love when she doesn't know him very well but not Aerith.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Furthermore, Aeris actually states several times she isn't falling for Zack in Cloud. If anything, it's quite the opposite. The similarities don't turn her on, they bother her.
Apart from her line in their date, from where do you get this impression? It's been about four years since I played the game last but I distinctly got the opposite impression; she remarks constantly about how much he reminds her of Zack, but the only time she gives even the remotest impression that this bothers her is when she says "I want to meet the real you."

She also states that they are different, which means Cloud isn't stealing Zack's personality.
Well yeah, ZaCloud isn't just modelling his personality on Zack's. There's probably a bit of Sephiroth in there and he's still probably acting a bit like the real Cloud as well. Zack is definitely the most dominant element of his personality at this point though.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Yes AFTER, AFTER... but before that... I'm talking about right as Cloud went to join soldier, BEFORE she was in his mind. Tifa apparently fell in love with him. But they weren't that close, even Tifa says that. Why is it okay for Tifa to fall in love when she doesn't know him very well but not Aerith.
Ehh, who do you think has been arguing that? I don't think anyone has been arguing that it isn't slightly, well, naïve for them to fall for each other without knowing one another well. I certainly haven't seen anyone holding Cloti up as a textbook example of how a relationship ought to be formed.

KissTheRain

reality is a prison
AKA
jailbait
The Kenosha Kid said:
Apart from her line in their date, from where do you get this impression? It's been about four years since I played the game last but I distinctly got the opposite impression; she remarks constantly about how much he reminds her of Zack, but the only time she gives even the remotest impression that this bothers her is when she says "I want to meet the real you."
On the date Aerith says something along the lines of "Something has been bothering me" and then goes on about Cloud acting like Zack and wanting to meet the real him. Really in the compilation she says that on the date and in CoL so she means business imo. XD

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Ehh, who do you think has been arguing that? I don't think anyone has been arguing that it isn't slightly, well, naïve for them to fall for each other without knowing one another well. I certainly haven't seen anyone holding Cloti up as a textbook example of how a relationship ought to be formed.

I've seen it come up before. What about the reverse? Do you think it is okay for Cloud to love Tifa when he went off to soldier?

Tifa apparently fell in love with him. But they weren't that close, even Tifa says that. Why is it okay for Tifa to fall in love when she doesn't know him very well but not Aerith.
Tifa knows Cloud well enough to know that ZaCloud isn't the real him and that something's up.

Furthermore, Aeris actually states several times she isn't falling for Zack in Cloud. If anything, it's quite the opposite. The similarities don't turn her on, they bother her.
They bother her because she knows that IS what's attracting her, and she wants to move on. She says that, but at every opportunity brings up Zack. She also says they weren't that close, which is a lie. She gets upset finding out he wrote home about her. Aerith isn't outright lying about Zack, but she's a very confused girl.

ZaCloud is not some alternate being. It's Cloud using the mannerisms of this successful, impressive guy he wanted to be like.
It's a lot more than that. It's a mixture of the real Cloud, what Cloud wants to be, Zack, Jenova's manipulation... which at the end of the day isn't the real Cloud. It may have parts of him in there, but you can't fall in love with parts of a person.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Tifa knows Cloud well enough to know that ZaCloud isn't the real him and that something's up
So you're saying that she did love Cloud when he went off to Soldier? Because the Man just said no one here was arguing that.

Zee

wangxian married
AKA
Zee

Man, it's late and I'd have to dig back in the game some, but from what I can remember she doesn't seem to be trying to recreate those times with Zack, at the park, she talks about him to Cloud and gets kind of quiet. It never struck me that she was falling for Cloud because of the Zackisms, just that the similarities finally caused her to deal with something she really didn't before (because Aeris has no friends, and no one to talk to lol).

God okay, one more reply and then SLEEP.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
I've seen it come up before. What about the reverse? Do you think it is okay for Cloud to love Tifa when he went off to soldier?
It's not so much 'is it okay', because either way, he really did like her back then. That's not what a relationship should be entirely based on, but that does seem to be what happened.

On the date Aerith says something along the lines of "Something has been bothering me" and then goes on about Cloud acting like Zack and wanting to meet the real him. Really in the compilation she says that on the date and in CoL so she means business imo. XD
Was there anything earlier on to indicate she knew something was wrong? I can't remember.

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Both of those are pretty late in the compilation. I agree that Aerith generally isn't that delusional but a lot of times characters who are level-headed about other things are completely irrational about romantic matters, especially if they haven't had much experience with them before, which, let's be honest, Aerith hasn't. I wouldn't say it's entirely possible she couldn't just be rationalising at this point. I definitely get the impression that the Zack/Cloud similarities were a large part of the reason she started falling for Cloud. Whether they'd be the reason she continued is, of course, up for debate.

What about the reverse? Do you think it is okay for Cloud to love Tifa when he went off to soldier?
They're both kind of naïve at that point. What I think makes their relationship worth pursuing is the fact that after getting in touch with one another several years later, they still have feelings for each other and are willing to work through them.

let's face it, a lot of relationships don't really start out as anything more than a vague mutual attraction. And it's not as if either of them had any more significant romantic experience before each other. Who are we to judge really.

Do you think it is okay for Cloud to love Tifa when he went off to soldier?
I wasn't saying it's wrong for Aerith to have fallen that fast if she had, but it's different circumstances. Cloud grew up with Tifa and fell for her, and she states that she felt something for him too even before he left. When he was actually gone, it finally hit her that he meant more to her than she realized, and she started waiting desperately for his return.

Aerith is confused as it is, trying to sort out her feelings, oh... and save the world while they are at it. If the creators want Aerith to have actually fallen in love with fake-Cloud during all of that, well, then she does. However, she seems interested and confused in the game, not completely head-over-heels in love.

Hinata Hyuga

wallflower
AKA
Juniper, Rinali, Legretta
So wait, now context matters in the use of koibito? ...Really?

"It's one party of a mutual relationship, that's the meaning of it."
- Hito, from that infamous koibito wank thread.

Were you saying that the above definition is what you think koibito means? I don't wanna waste time posting about it if I'm misunderstanding.

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
They're both kind of naïve at that point. What I think makes their relationship worth pursuing is the fact that after getting in touch with one another several years later, they still have feelings for each other and are willing to work through them.
Okay fair enough. I just don't like it when people say that Cloud couldn't love Aerith cause he didn't know her that well when he didn't know Tifa all that well either.

I definitely get the impression that the Zack/Cloud similarities were a large part of the reason she started falling for Cloud.
mmmm nah it's cause he's so molestable :awesome:
And even though that might be true, she still seemed to hold onto her feelings after her death and after Cloud found himself. Not sure exactly when she found Zack in the lifestream though...

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
So you're saying that she did love Cloud when he went off to Soldier? Because the Man just said no one here was arguing that.

define "love." Feel a strong romantic attraction towards? Yes, they both definitely felt that before the HW/LS scenes. Consider the most important person in the world? Cloud might have, but Tifa definitely didn't realise the full extent of her feelings for Cloud until after he left. Still a fair ways before the HW/LS scenes though. There's definitely another dimension to love beyond the two I've listed and I don't even know how to describe it; that particular dimension of love, it could be argued, neither of them felt until after HW/LS. However, it's kind of pointless to argue semantics about a word that has so many different meanings, and I'm not going to argue about it any further.

Last edited:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
We you saying that the above definition is what you think koibito means? I don't wanna waste time posting about it if I'm misunderstanding.

That's what a lot of Clotis told Cleriths for the longest time. It's not what she thinks, it's what a lot of Clotis said to shut Cleriths up :P

define "love." Feel a strong romantic attraction towards? Yes, they both definitely felt that before the HW/LS scenes. Consider the most important person in the world? Cloud might have, but Tifa definitely didn't realise the full extent of her feelings for Cloud until after he left.
Err LS?... OH ... Lifestream.. I'm talking about that night they spent where he made the promise. I don't think what they had then was really "love". I mean they were young and didn't Nomura say that Aerith and Zack were too young to really be in love? Well... it probably goes for Cloud and Tifa too.. not saying they didn't have feelings, it just didn't really hit them that they were really meant to be until the LS event.

Alessa Gillespie

a letter to my future self
AKA
Sansa Stark, Sweet Bro, Feferi, tentacleTherapist, Nin, Aki, Catwoman, Shinjiro Aragaki, Terezi, Princess Bubblegum
Okay fair enough. I just don't like it when people say that Cloud couldn't love Aerith cause he didn't know her that well when he didn't know Tifa all that well either.
At least he wasn't mentally fucked up with Jenova cells when he had a crush on Tifa...

Ⓐaron

AKA
The Man, V
Man, it's late and I'd have to dig back in the game some, but from what I can remember she doesn't seem to be trying to recreate those times with Zack, at the park, she talks about him to Cloud and gets kind of quiet. It never struck me that she was falling for Cloud because of the Zackisms, just that the similarities finally caused her to deal with something she really didn't before (because Aeris has no friends, and no one to talk to lol).

God okay, one more reply and then SLEEP.
I think I kind of covered this in my above responses but I'm half asleep myself right now so if I missed anything let me know.

I think I see the issue here. What he's saying (at least from what I understand) is that they are kids and aren't completely in-love with each other... yet. However, we know as kids Tifa feels something for Cloud, and Cloud secretly falls for her. They grow up and those feelings are still there.

What I'm trying to say is Tifa had a lot more to back up her feelings for Cloud. It's not as if Tifa and Aerith are meeting this boy for the first time and one is allowed to fall for him in the time frame and the other isn't. It's not even an argument about being allowed to, just that I don't feel they showed Aerith actually in love. Again, interested and confused.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
At least he wasn't mentally fucked up with Jenova cells when he had a crush on Tifa...

and that's all I have to say about that. :awesomonster:

It's not even an argument about being allowed to, just that I don't feel they showed Aerith actually in love. Again, interested and confused.
Well I think koibito in CoLW proves she loved him... hey... how about that? It all comes back to koibito :D

Last edited:

KissTheRain

reality is a prison
AKA
jailbait
Terra said:
Was there anything earlier on to indicate she knew something was wrong? I can't remember
Like Zee said, there was sortaish hints on their date in the park, but no besides that I can't think of anything. U_U

@The Kenosha Kid- I would agree Aerith can be quite the social retard, such as her flirting in front of Tifa unintentionally or calling Reno and "it" I guess staying in a church for that long like a loner can do that to you. -_- But as for her own feelings, Aerith has always been praised as one of the most emotionally strong characters in FF, besides from people like Lulu, so she most likely understands if she loves Zack or Cloud. And yes I agree she began falling for Cloud because of her intitial attraction of the Zack qualities, but then when she realized they were different I personally think she liked the Cloud qualities and loved them. <3

I mean they were young and didn't Nomura say that Aerith and Zack were too young to really be in love?
*facepalm*

Frist off, that's not what that quote means, second, do you have any idea how many other FF couples you negate with that logic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom