So, what do you think the LTD conclusion is? (Round 2)

Who does Cloud love?

• Aerith

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Tifa

Votes: 121 85.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryushikaze

Deus Admiral Parsimonious, PHD, DDS, MD, JD, OBE
AKA
Tim, Ryu
ohno.gif

Hey, don't you Colbert me. He would approve of making a buck off something you might do for free.

And we ought to get rather more back on topic, now.

Splintered

unsavory tart
I think I want a Cloud/Aerith tattoo on my ass. What do y'all think?
A glorious testimony to the dignity and grace of one true love through the power of soulmates. We salute you as a fine upstanding soldier in the fight to maintain the magnificence of tragic love in alternative forms of literature.

Hrn.

And we ought to get rather more back on topic, now.
Okay, how about this.

Earlier, Cloti members said that koibito signifies a two way relationship. But why doesn't it apply to Aerith as well. Isn't it hypocritical to say that it only describes Aerith's feelings?

Doesn't that at least hint there was some kind of mutual bond?

Also, Colbert is appropriate for every situation.

Strangelove

AI Researcher
AKA
hitoshura
If I bedazzle your name on my forehead can I have some butter pecan?
You can have some of this special Twilight brand ice cream. It sparkles because there's bits of glass in it. Some of the testers didn't like it/were bleeding a lot, but it's just the "Rob Effect"; they'll get used to it and love it soon enough.

I think I died just a little inside.
Sometimes, dead is better.

Especially when it comes to soul mates and true love.

I'm so proud of the affect I'm making on the kid's today.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
Okay, how about this.

Earlier, Cloti members said that koibito signifies a two way relationship.

Based on the overarcing context of the movie and the compilation, it can only indicate a two way relationship, given the only person it can refer to as being the person she is the koibito to is Cloud, whom she loves, who she 'belongs with,' who she has a symmetry with. Etc. None of the other choices are in any way logical, parsimonious, or relevant to the movie.

But why doesn't it apply to Aerith as well. Isn't it hypocritical to say that it only describes Aerith's feelings?

Not at all.
For example, Uersei Yatsura- Main Character calls nurse Sakura his koibito... she's not interested.

Doesn't that at least hint there was some kind of mutual bond?

It implies she at one time thought of Cloud as her beloved and possibly that there was a mutual bond, but it cannot actually mean there was a romance there, since the totality of the evidence points to there being no actual romance occuring- Cloud is oblivious to her feelings, for one.

Also, Colbert is appropriate for every situation.

Or... IS HE?

Splintered

unsavory tart
Not at all.
For example, Uersei Yatsura- Main Character calls nurse Sakura his koibito... she's not interested.
I'm not familiar with the show, but in the context of FFVII Cloud did show he was interested in Aerith in one point and time. It would be different to someone saying that to someone who was in a completely one sided relationship, but if feelings have always been vague on one side, it can be confirming, can't it?

At least a hint. It's a fairly strong word for just "person I love."

It implies she at one time thought of Cloud as her beloved and possibly that there was a mutual bond, but it cannot actually mean there was a romance there,
One does not necessarily need to date to love each other. The same way with Tifa, she isn't married to Cloud, but that doesn't mean the romantic tension isn't there.

Or... IS HE?
Of course he is

StevenColbert.gif

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I'm not familiar with the show, but in the context of FFVII Cloud did show he was interested in Aerith in one point and time.

Where?

It would be different to someone saying that to someone who was in a completely one sided relationship, but if feelings have always been vague on one side, it can be confirming, can't it?

No. Not in this case. Again, context renders any idea of an actual relationship moot.

At least a hint. It's a fairly strong word for just "person I love."

It IS a strong word, but 'person I love' is one use.
Also, loved. Sentence in past tense.

One does not necessarily need to date to love each other. The same way with Tifa, she isn't married to Cloud, but that doesn't mean the romantic tension isn't there.

Of course he is

StevenColbert.gif

There's no truthyness in that statement.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Sonique, Quexinos, Pinkie Pie, Derpy Hooves
I'd help you splintered but... I'm gonna tell you right now, any evidence you present will be rebuttaled with "just friends"

No amount of,
She was the first thing he thought about after the sector 7 collapsed or
Barret saying, "so you do care about someone else?" or
hand reach scenes or
"he didn't seem to lose Aerith only, a piece of him also seemed lost." from FFVII dismantled or
"If this smile costs only one gil, it is a good purchase" from FFVII Dismantled or
Cloud promised to take Aerith on the Highwind or

any of these for that matter:

Cloud "...Aerith. Aerith has already prayed for Holy ...After I gave the Black Materia to Sephiroth... Aerith's words came into my dreams..."

Cloud "She said, she was the only one who could stop Sephiroth... And to do that, there was a secret here... That was Holy... That's why, she had the White Materia. Aerith knew about here... and what she had to do. Aerith has left us great hope. But, it cost her her life... her future..."

Cloud "I'm sorry... Aerith. I should have figured this out sooner. ...You left us without saying a word... It was all so sudden, so I couldn't think... That's why it took so long for me to find out... But, Aerith... I understand now."

Cloud "Thank you... Aerith. Aerith's voice has already reached the Planet.”

Cloud "...Aerith.”
Cloud “She was smiling to the end."
Cloud "We have to do something, or that smile will just freeze like that."

Cloud "Let's all go together. Memories of Aerith..."

Cloud "Although she should've returned to the planet by now, something stopped her and now she's stuck..."

Cloud "We've got to let go of Aerith's memory."

Cloud "I remember Aerith a lot. No... not that. You haven't remembered. You haven't forgotten. That's not it... How would you say it... Aerith was right there all along. Right by our side. She was so close, we couldn't see her. What Aerith did... The words she left behind..."

Cloud "...Aerith. Aerith has already prayed for Holy ...After I gave the Black Materia to Sephiroth... Aerith's words came into my dreams..."

Cloud "I'm sorry... Aerith. I should have figured this out sooner. ...You left us without saying a word... It was all so sudden, so I couldn't think... That's why it took so long for me to find out... But, Aerith... I understand now."

Cloud "Aerith... I'll do the rest."

Cloud "...Aerith.”
Cloud "We have to do something, or that smile will just freeze like that." Cloud "Let's all go together. Memories of Aerith..."

(One fragile, graceful hand reaches down from amidst the source of the light, toward Cloud's hand, as Aerith's theme plays in the background. Cloud reaches upward, stretching toward her, trying to grasp her hand in his own.)

prove Cloud loved Aerith romantically in any sense or ever thought about her more than Tifa. It was all just friends. :)

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
I'd help you splintered but... I'm gonna tell you right now, any evidence you present will be rebuttaled with "just friends"

No amount of,
She was the first thing he thought about after the sector 7 collapsed or
Barret saying, "so you do care about someone else?" or
hand reach scenes or
"he didn't seem to lose Aerith only, a piece of him also seemed lost." from FFVII dismantled or
"If this smile costs only one gil, it is a good purchase" from FFVII Dismantled or
Cloud promised to take Aerith on the Highwind or

any of these for that matter:

Cloud "She said, she was the only one who could stop Sephiroth... And to do that, there was a secret here... That was Holy... That's why, she had the White Materia. Aerith knew about here... and what she had to do. Aerith has left us great hope. But, it cost her her life... her future..."

Cloud "...Aerith.”
Cloud "We have to do something, or that smile will just freeze like that."

Cloud "Let's all go together. Memories of Aerith..."

Cloud "Although she should've returned to the planet by now, something stopped her and now she's stuck..."

Cloud "I remember Aerith a lot. No... not that. You haven't remembered. You haven't forgotten. That's not it... How would you say it... Aerith was right there all along. Right by our side. She was so close, we couldn't see her. What Aerith did... The words she left behind..."

Cloud "Aerith... I'll do the rest."

Cloud "...Aerith.”
Cloud "We have to do something, or that smile will just freeze like that." Cloud "Let's all go together. Memories of Aerith..."

(One fragile, graceful hand reaches down from amidst the source of the light, toward Cloud's hand, as Aerith's theme plays in the background. Cloud reaches upward, stretching toward her, trying to grasp her hand in his own.)

prove Cloud loved Aerith romantically in any sense or ever thought about her more than Tifa. It was all just friends. :)

See also:
Death of Galuf.
No one is saying Aerith isn't important, that she didn't inspire Cloud and the party with her unintended demise, but what we're asking is where's the romance?
Recall, that the quoted is a big speech he offers to the entire party to inspire them before the go to face almost certain death. He's reminding them what they've lost, of what they will be pissing all over if they don't at least keep fighting.
This only makes sense when discussing a fallen comrade. Seriously, replace Barret or Yuffie's name for Aerith's, and the speech has the same impact.

And the last bit about the hand is just editorializing. Further, it ingores his mad dash, jump, and grab to save Tifa's life moments later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
And the last bit about the hand is just editorializing. Further, it ingores his mad dash, jump, and grab to save Tifa's life moments later.
oh whoops... I copied this from somewhere and I meant to take that out XD

No one is saying Aerith isn't important, that she didn't inspire Cloud and the party with her unintended demise, but what we're asking is where's the romance?
Well as others have said it's optional but it can be there.
IE Cloud can be jealous of Zack and things like that. I just don't see why it's completely outside the realm of possibility that he had romantic feelings for her, even if it was influenced by Zack or Jenova cells.

of what they will be pissing all over if they don't at least keep fighting.
... ew

Seriously, replace Barret or Yuffie's name for Aerith's, and the speech has the same impact.
No it doesn't, they're alive O_o (:awesome:)

Splintered

unsavory tart
See also:
Death of Galuf.
Recall, that the quoted is a big speech he offers to the entire party to inspire them before the go to face almost certain death. He's reminding them what they've lost, of what they will be pissing all over if they don't at least keep fighting.
This only makes sense when discussing a fallen comrade. Seriously, replace Barret or Yuffie's name for Aerith's, and the speech has the same impact.

But neither Barret or Yuffie had romantic tension with Cloud. I'm not saying that Aerith was in a relationship with him, but the feelings between them were not completely platonic. It was a love triangle for a reason.

My arguement is not necessarily that AERITHCLOUD ARE IN LOVE 4EVA, but that Nomura recognizes that there were potential feelings between the two. He left it extremely ambigous, but the hint could still be in there.
There's no truthyness in that statement.
I koibito Colbert, amidoinitrite?

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
But neither Barret or Yuffie had romantic tension with Cloud. I'm not saying that Aerith was in a relationship with him, but the feelings between them were not completely platonic. It was a love triangle for a reason.

Yes, and that reason is because Tifa and Aerith both had interest in Cloud.
That's all you need for a triangle.

My arguement is not necessarily that AERITHCLOUD ARE IN LOVE 4EVA, but that Nomura recognizes that there were potential feelings between the two. He left it extremely ambigous, but the hint could still be in there.

... If we're talking hints, then living with a woman is certainly a much bigger hint.

I koibito Colbert, amidoinitrite?

Close enough.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Hey Ryu, you know 524524 right? They know all, see all, tell all? You text them a question and they answer... well I asked them who Cloud loved and they said:

Cloud Strife was said to have had interest in both Tifa Lochkeart and Aeris Gainsborough in FFVII.

These people know all, therefore it MUST be true that he had feelings for Aerith.

okay I'm done being bored now.

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
Also I agree with Spintered. If it was SO freaking obvious that Cloud had NO interest in Aerith whatsoever and she was simply a friend to him, there's not much of a love triangle then.

OneWingedDemon

NOT AMUSED
but that Nomura recognizes that there were potential feelings between the two.
Correction: He recognizes that some people may see/WANT to see it that way and he's not going to spoonfeed them or forcibly make them think otherwise if that's what enriches their view of FFVII and gets him $$$$.

No staff member has really ever put the story second in favor of the C/A & C/T debates though. Neither Nomura not Nojima nor any other N-person are mincing words when they say: Tifa is a lover, or that Cee & tee belong together, or that they went to great lengths to make sure Cloud & Teefs complemented each other physically & emotionally etc. etc.

I think they are aware of the different fan interpretations out there, and just because they're not coming out to say "no, that's not how it is, moron" for every nonsensical piece of crap that people put forth on tha netz doesn't necessarily mean that it is a free for all. They've told us the answers are there, they're just not going to spoonfeed them to you. They are there.

Most of the fans get that Cloud isn't building a shack to live in the flowerfields like the Clerii hoped, or that Cloud did not leave his family because he wanted to be with Aeris in peace. Most people don't try to erase or undermine other characters' importance, like Zack's or Sephiroth's.

The answers are in the story. The interviews repeat that, they tell us what's going on. The people who take a sentence and disect it 29748365823932 different ways in order to find a loophole, like the Clerii, are going to exist. SE is not going to hold a press conference specifically for them to tell them to stop that shit. This does not mean everyone's interpretations are valid or that the story is in any way vague in regards to the LT.

Last edited:

Splintered

unsavory tart
... If we're talking hints, then living with a woman is certainly a much bigger hint.
I know it is. I'm not saying that the triangle doesn't favor either side, but the fact that both couplings have at least some stake in this.

I mean, one of the frustrating things is that if Tifa-Cloud was in any other game, they would be considered canon, but FFVII fandom doesn't. Well it's sort of the same with Aerith-Cloud as well.

Reith123

DemonSlayer
AKA
Mai
i log back in and 2 more votes for tifa..its obvious cloud doesnt love tifa or aeris gainsborough, wtf kinda last name is tht, shud be aeris gainsweight.

its obvious cloud doesnt live tifa..why cant u all see that! *gets on my knees and screams while raising my hands*

Dashell

SMILE!
AKA
wtf kinda last name is tht, shud be aeris gainsweight.
.... that's kinda immature, can we refrain from comments like this please? I realize I'm not a moderator but there's no reason to insult Aerith.

Also not sure exactly but I think there was a reason behind all the names. Like Cloud's last name is Strife because his life is full of it and stuff.

Last edited:

Ryushikaze

AKA
Tim, Ryu
REITH, CUT DOWN ON THE SPAM. CUT DOWN ON THE DOUBLE POSTS. CUT DOWN ON THE CHARACTER BASHING. DO IT MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?

And sorry, Hito, FF5 is so old, I tend to think of it as beyond the statute of limitations. Much like Watchmen was til recently.

Celes Chere

Banned
AKA
Noctis
but that Nomura recognizes that there were potential feelings between the two.

Cloud and Aerith have a special bond, and the creators have emphasized that heavily. This relationship is quite obviously different from a romantic one, however. She's a dear friend, just as Zack was.

If it was SO freaking obvious that Cloud had NO interest in Aerith whatsoever and she was simply a friend to him, there's not much of a love triangle then.

Aerith had an interest in Cloud, because he reminded her of Zack. Cloud had an interest in Aerith, but as a special friend. Especially after his mind is fully restored (thanks to Tifa). A love triangle doesn't mean that Cloud has to like anyone- it's the fact that both Aerith and Tifa take a liking to him. Aerith imo, is confused about her feelings while Tifa has always loved him.

aeris gainsweight.

Yeah, Aerith is such a fatass, just as much as Tifa is a slut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom