Square Enix trademarks Ever Crisis, The First Soldier, and Shinra logo in Japan

cloudy

Rookie Adventurer
I've been saying forever that we were robbed with Crisis Core. It should've been the best entry in the compilation (in my personal opinion) but is held back by its pacing and gameplay. If it actually is a remake... Zack, the other 1sts, and Midgar in HD, more time to spend on each chapter, tighter controls and better combat... my hopes are probably way too high and I'm preparing myself to be disappointed, but seriously, Square, I'd pay any amount of money

I just don't know who "The First SOLDIER" could be referring to. Genesis and Angeal are both older than Sephiroth, but we can't just assume that they were the first in the program either. is the title some kind of play on being a "SOLDIER 1st (class)"? That would make less sense grammatically, but it's kind of weird either way, right?

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
I've been saying forever that we were robbed with Crisis Core. It should've been the best entry in the compilation (in my personal opinion) but is held back by its pacing and gameplay. If it actually is a remake... Zack, the other 1sts, and Midgar in HD, more time to spend on each chapter, tighter controls and better combat... my hopes are probably way too high and I'm preparing myself to be disappointed, but seriously, Square, I'd pay any amount of money

I just don't know who "The First SOLDIER" could be referring to. Genesis and Angeal are both older than Sephiroth, but we can't just assume that they were the first in the program either. is the title some kind of play on being a "SOLDIER 1st (class)"? That would make less sense grammatically, but it's kind of weird either way, right?

We know for a certainty that Genesis and Angeal became SOLDIERs much later then Sephiroth, Sephiroth's fame was what inspired them to join in the first place. The title refers to either a new character, Sephiroth or we are getting the storied history of the Junon shopkeeper.

cloudy

Rookie Adventurer
We know for a certainty that Genesis and Angeal became SOLDIERs much later then Sephiroth, Sephiroth's fame was what inspired them to join in the first place. The title refers to either a new character, Sephiroth or we are getting the storied history of the Junon shopkeeper.
wasn't Angeal's mother injected with Jenova cells by Dr. Hollander? meaning Angeal and Genesis would've been part of Project G since birth, while Hojo ran project S a few years later, whether or not they actually recieved their SOLDIER titles before or after Sephiroth. though looking it up some sources seem to conflict with each other, and it honestly seems like a semantics issue. I honestly hope it isn't a new character, I want to know more about Sephiroth :p

Roger

He/him
AKA
Minato
wasn't Angeal's mother injected with Jenova cells by Dr. Hollander? meaning Angeal and Genesis would've been part of Project G since birth, while Hojo ran project S a few years later, whether or not they actually recieved their SOLDIER titles before or after Sephiroth. though looking it up some sources seem to conflict with each other, and it honestly seems like a semantics issue. I honestly hope it isn't a new character, I want to know more about Sephiroth :p

Gillian, Angeal and Genesis were experimented on as part of the Jenova Project at the same time as Sephiroth, yes. That does not make them SOLDIERs though, they didn't have the Mako eyes that everyone marks Cloud as a SOLDIER by. They weren't exposed to Mako showers, nor did they fight for Shinra. They were just farmfolk until Genesis started reading about Sephiroth's heroism in the Wutai War and wanted to sign up.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
Sephiroth joined SOLDIER first. That's a fact. He went straight from childhood as a scientific experiment to a superhero SOLDIER.

Genesis and Angeal are near the same age as Sephiroth however they did not join SOLDIER when Sephiroth did because they lived normal lives. Their statuses as experiments of the Jenova Project was hidden from them and they grew up with freedom and joined SOLDIER of their own accord. Their fellow experiment ironically inspired them to follow in his footsteps and then join SOLDIER the standard way.

Sephiroth is not the very first SOLDIER however. SOLDIER predated the Jenova Project. We know this because of Deepground's existence. Sephiroth is the first Super SOLDIER that utilizes Jenova cells.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
"Stated as such."

Genesis is in stasis beneath Midgar, and he literally just wakes back up in DC so he wouldn't really be in FFVII either. He's thought dead for a reason.

None of the CC original characters are alive or presumed alive at the time of FFVII, except Cissnei and the other Before Crisis Turks like her.

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
The entire point of CC is "What is a monster? Do your genetics make you one or do you choose to become one?" and the conclusion it comes to is "Your genetics don't make you a monster; you choose to become one (or chose to stop being one)".

The question isn't if Sephrioth, Angeal, and Genesis were born monsters. It's if everyone in SOLDIER are monsters. Because all of them have both mako exposure and Jenova Cells. And the answer is "No, SOLDIERs have our honor/pride that stops us from going that far". SOLDIER has grown past what Shinra made it out to be and into something greater.

Incidentally... the Japanese term that gets translated as "Edge of Creation" (世界の先端) is really similar to a phrase in Crisis Core... in Loveless. Theres it's translated "world's end" (世界の終わり). Part of me is hoping that is just a coincidence. The other part of me thinks it probably isn't... and that if Zack is alive somewhere, and the future is changing... Genesis doesn't have to remain silent under Midgar either...

Surely non-humans can't choose whether or not to think of themselves as monsters? We seem to keep jumping back and forth between the idea of monsters as creatures biologically mutated through exposure to Jenova or mako or both, and the idea of "monster" being a moral or psychological state. In-world, people clearly use the word monster to mean mutated flora and fauna that don't necessarily have the higher consciousness of human beings. Since G, S and A are all products of the Jenova project, they are biologically monstrous from conception. Whether they become morally monstrous is up to them. It's hard to see how the behaviour of non-human "monsters" in their world is any different from the behaviour of non-monstrous flora and fauna, who will attack and kill the party just as readily.

KindOfBlue

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Blue
and he literally just wakes back up in DC so he wouldn't really be in FFVII either. He's thought dead for a reason.
Not that I want them to, but you know SE would definitely find a way to bring Genesis back if they so desired

and the idea of "monster" being a moral or psychological state.
Reminds me of Cloud’s “don’t I get a say in this?” line, while some took that as an affirmation of his feelings, I think it begs the question of how would Cloud know what he really thinks and feels when his true self is suppressed by Jenova? And just how much of a monster could Cloud become if not for his friends intervening?

Last edited:

Obsidian Fire

Ahk Morn!
AKA
The Engineer
I'm thinking less Kingdom Hearts and more FFXV and how much side-content/media that got. The FFVII Compilation following in either footsteps isn't... great. On the other hand, the Compilation might as well be said to be the predecessor of the idea of having lots of side-content/media for "stand alone" FF games. Goodness knows the OG really needed the Compilation to sort out some things... and plenty of other FF games followed suite.

Makoeyes987

AKA
Smooth Criminal
Not that I want them to, but you know SE would definitely find a way to bring Genesis back if they so desired

He's wearing Gackt's face and that means they'd have to literally pay Gackt millions in royalties and they do not want to do that, remember?

That's copyright and contractual law and its why real life collaborations are limited and not perpetual. There's a reason why CC and DC aren't ported like everything else in that generation of S-E. Unless they want to literally pull a Capcom and redesign and redraw his entire character from scratch, they're not going to reuse Genesis for a story and setting he's not written for.

Anyways FFVII is already a multititle series like KH now. The Remake is taking place over multiple games and anything else will be a separate game now too. Everything today is a multi-title series because it's the nature of serial media itself; of course there will be other FFVII titles in the works that will be released on the side.

Be glad handhelds and shit are dead along with Square's mindset no longer being in a place to lock titles in separate different consoles. You don't have to buy random new peripherals just to play a single random game now.

Top Bottom