FFVII REMAKE CONFIRMED

lithiumkatana17

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Lith
I still eye roll when I think about how Death Stranding won Best Music over Devil May Cry 5 last year. Doesn't leave me with much hope for Remake beating TLoU2.

But I liked the music in Death Stranding :'(

Really though, the music in DMC5 was phenomenal.

I'm still buttsore from the 2018 awards where Far Cry 5 didn't even get a nomination in the music category. I have all of the albums made for the game; Ubisoft and the composer Dan Romer went all out with the cult's gospel music.

I'm heavily anticipating this years' awards to be a TLOU2 circle jerk. :monstersmash:

FFShinra

Sharp Shinra Shill
I actually think TLOU2 has no chance for music. If the Remake loses the music category, it'll be to Ghost of Tsushima. Same with art direction.

EDIT-

Nevermind, Ghost isn't up for soundtrack and that's a damn shame, since I found it far more memorable than TLOU2....

Theozilla

Kaiju Member
I think Hades could end up taking Art Direction. It’s one of those Indie games with great aesthetics that really taken social media by storm (especially fanartists who love drawing sexy characters).
I think the Remake could maybe win Game Direction in addition to RPG and Music/Score, as the Remake’s achievement in fusing action with turn based elements was pretty universally praised IIRC.

Erotic Materia

[CONFUSED SCREAMING]
Oh yea, Hades is 100% the dark horse of this year. It was the only game that trending on twitter when they announced nominees.
Super addictive game. I'd recommend it to everyone.
I'm going entirely off screenshots, but it looks nearly indistinguishable from all their other games. Isometric, lone-wolf melee fighter, etc. I've played a little of Bastion and Transistor, and while the artwork is gorgeous, it just looks to me like another slightly tweaked iteration. Admittedly, I've not played a significant amount of any of their games, but what sets this one apart from the others?

Suzaku

Pro Adventurer
As great as the art direction and music in Hades is, I don't think it really stands out much from Transistor or Pyre. It's a gorgeous game, but pretty much standard fare for Supergiant at this point.

I feel like TLOU2 has the best shot at winning stuff since it's the video game equivalent of Oscar bait.

rkss

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Me
I'm going entirely off screenshots, but it looks nearly indistinguishable from all their other games. Isometric, lone-wolf melee fighter, etc. I've played a little of Bastion and Transistor, and while the artwork is gorgeous, it just looks to me like another slightly tweaked iteration. Admittedly, I've not played a significant amount of any of their games, but what sets this one apart from the others?
Only played Bastion before so I don't have much experience with supergiant. Honestly I don't rate the art that high either but hades is the only roguelike game that doesn't feel like a chore after awhile because even a loss is progression

It's repetitive yet addictive at the same time. My only complaint is map pool needs to be more variable.

Last edited:
I haven't played any of the other nominees yet, but I reckon FFVIIR will take the Music/Score category. As for Art Direction... as great as FFVIIR often is with the main cast, cutscenes, enemies, and environments (weird texture issues aside), it really dropped the ball with the regular NPCs/crowds. It may seem like a petty complaint when other things are so well done, but it just broke the immersion for me a bit when the NPCs often looked really generic and like they belonged in a different world than the main characters. Don't know how much weight others give to that sort of thing, but for me personally it would give me some pause over calling it the very best of the year.

Kain424

Old Man in the Room
I didn't really like The Last of Us 2, but I have to admit it offered some stellar direction and great acting performances from the entire cast. So it if it did indeed wind up winning, it would have deserved at least that much. Gameplay was repetitive and the music, while ambient, was like something from a decade ago.

As much as I enjoyed Remake, it suffers from the inverse of some of those problems. Some of the performances were excellent, but others were a bit off or confusing. The direction was tight at times, but sort of unraveled as the game went on. I love the art direction it took, and the music would be justified in getting awards, but it's hard to want to see a win for a game that suffers from such a rough landing.

Saven

Pro Adventurer
it really dropped the ball with the regular NPCs/crowds. It may seem like a petty complaint when other things are so well done, but it just broke the immersion for me a bit when the NPCs often looked really generic and like they belonged in a different world than the main characters.

This or the pacing in some places are probably my biggest issues with the game. It took me out of it at times, the Sector 7 Slums being the worst. I laughed when I came across this guy and his mild-mannered gruffy voice:
ff7-11.jpg

Top Bottom