FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE Demo Out Now!

Keveh Kins

Pun Enthusiast
I actually love how they've handled Barrett so far. He starts off the mission trying to be all cool and speaking in a real low, deep voice. It's 'merc' this and 'better be worth it' that.

But he can't help himself and starts getting more and more excited the further into the reactor you go, and all the anger that's just barely being kept below the surface starts blasting out. Sometimes completely unprompted.

I like it :monster:

Teioh

Pro Adventurer
AKA
Teiocho
I finally got around to playing through the whole demo. Did alright, keep pressing the wrong button trying to get the command menu up but I think I'll get used to it eventually. Tried a little of the classic mode but didn't like how much Cloud was taking damage compared to when I'm fully in control of him.

Those ladders though, had a moment where I ran right past one in the bomb count down and had a sudden attack of nostalgia of when I couldn't get Cloud to climb the damn thing in OG. The panic was real :lol:

Tetsujin

he/they
AKA
Tets
aLMmeVV_460s.jpg

Prism

Pro Adventurer
AKA
pikpixelart
Speaking of having things when the game starts, Cross slash is Cloud’s first limit break this time around, and Braver is just a normal skill. Any reason why they did that? If I had to guess, in the original, the normal attacks weren’t that flashy. In the remake, all of the normal slashes are super flashy. Braver is only marginally flashier than a normal slash because of this, so maybe it doesn’t fit the style quota for a limit break this time around?

X-SOLDIER

Harbinger O Great Justice
AKA
X
I think that it's in the interest of adding in combat-specific ATB actions aside from just magic to give you more ways to approach problems. The initial Limit Breaks make those things feel familiar already by taking them from things that they did in the game already, while saving their more flashy Limit Breaks for the ACTUAL limit breaks as they're more deserving of a dedicated cutscene action.

X :neo:

billy22

Pro Adventurer
Played it and liked it overall. Good animation, character moments, dialogue, map, etc.

There are two main complaints I have.

The first is the Scorpion fight, or perhaps more specifically, combat in general. From the scorpion fight to the end of the demo, every enemy felt like it was taking too long to kill...'HP sponge' comes to mind. I prefer my combat short and sweet, instead of long and grindy. I realize I'm not proficient with the game yet but I think I used about 15 potions there towards the end. Plus this is only the tutorial phase/boss...imagine the later fights. I don't think I could tolerate a 40 minute slugfest with Reno.

The other complaint is what they did with the bomb, by having the explosion magnified with Shinra's intervention. It feels like they put that in to make it more clear "Protagonists good. Shinra bad." One underrated aspect of what makes FFVII so good is that Avalanche killed a lot of people because they believed they were fighting for the greater good. It makes the morality of the protagonists, at least in the beginning, feel more morally grey. Which I strongly prefer. This change was a blatant attempt to push perception in the opposite direction...and I can't say I care for that.

Overall, 8/10 I guess. I expect the game will be decent overall.

Makoeyes987

Listen closely, there is meaning in my words.
AKA
Smooth Criminal
The first is the Scorpion fight, or perhaps more specifically, combat in general. From the scorpion fight to the end of the demo, every enemy felt like it was taking too long to kill...'HP sponge' comes to mind. I prefer my combat short and sweet, instead of long and grindy. I realize I'm not proficient with the game yet but I think I used about 15 potions there towards the end. Plus this is only the tutorial phase/boss...imagine the later fights. I don't think I could tolerate a 40 minute slugfest with Reno.

This game demands respect for it's enemies. :monster:

You cannot mash square to win.

You have to understand the importance of utilizing ATB skills to deal damage, increase stagger, while also maintaining ATB build up via guarding and using the square attack. Guard Hounds, which use to be basic enemies that could instantly be KO's with a normal attack in the OG, now demand strategy. You can not hack them to death. They will maul you and take the punishment from simple sword strikes. However, they hate fire magic which deals heavy damage and fills the stagger gauge a lot. Furthermore, Punisher Mode is the best answer to them, because utilizing the counter-block of Punisher Mode protects you from their strikes, and punishes the dog with a very powerful strike that increases stagger.

The Guard Scorpion requires mindful management of ATB and character switching. You have to be aware of what you're attacking, when, and with what skill. Barret is key because he has Cure magic, and Thunder magic. While Cloud is great for targeting certain appendages and dealing damage. You can't just mash square and hope to win. You have to play strategically or you'll be blown up.

oty

Pro Adventurer
AKA
ex-soldier boy
Arent there like a 3 minute Scorpion Sentinel fight? I imagine with no damage taken, no items, etc etc. I have seen multiple 4 minutes ones, and it's crazy. You cant deny that this combat atleast doesnt hold some insane potential. I am very eager to see how endgame will feel.

And yes, the Shinra stuff did kind of bother me too. But I realised that ultimately it only depends on what Square will do pretty much. You cant confirm any interpretation yet, only speculate. Both outcomes are possible, it all rests on Square's shoulders. Now thats something we all have a strong opinion on.

billy22

Pro Adventurer
I mean, it's not the Scorpion fight in particular that worries me. It's future boss fights. Scorpion is a tutorial boss, he's supposed to be easy. What I worry about is late boss fights. I don't want to have a 'play optimally or it will take you 40 minutes to beat Reno' fight.

Also I felt I was using nothing but abilities and spells against those final enemies- those mechanized storm troopers or whatever they're called. It still took about 5 minutes. I prefer basic enemies to take between 30seconds- 1minute, personally. And for bosses...other than the final boss, 10 minutes or less is ideal.

Castiel Strife

Pro Adventurer
I’m hoping that as the game progresses, enemies will respawn. It’d be nice to be able to just grind out levels and annihilate everything in your path. :smilingimp:

As a side note, finally was able to do a third playthrough. I defeated the scorpion a lot quicker, and for the first time Cloud wasn’t KOed. He was KOed once on both of my other playthroughs. I might be starting to get the hang of things. I also didn’t use nearly as many potions as the first two times. I had over 20 left at the end of the demo. So excited for April!

Top Bottom